"Lost Girls" author Bob Kolker on Tricia's True Crime Radio Sun Oct 6th 8 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't search very well with the phone, but I'm certain that a quick read of the first reports will show that the bodies were put there at different times over years based on decomposition and vegetation growth.

Here is the info:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/nyregion/15bodies.html?_r=0

Published: December 14, 2010

Commissioner Dormer said they were spread over a quarter mile, each 500 feet from the next. But they were placed there at different times, judging by their varying degrees of decomposition, he said.

“Obviously, it does not look like they were dumped at the same time,” he said. “A couple of them were there a year, or year and a half, or maybe two years. Not recent.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/nyregion/06bodies.html

Published: April 5, 2011

Investigators said that although they were placed there at different times, the four women were all in their 20s and that they had all advertised for clients on Craigslist.

But they would decompose at different rates due to when they died. Vegetation growth and indigenous insect activity as well as the condition of the bones would indicate how long they laid in the brush.

But they would decompose at different rates due to when they died. Vegetation growth and indigenous insect activity as well as the condition of the bones would indicate how long they laid in the brush.

And not for nothing these guys, Dormer included, talk out their *advertiser censored* when a microphone is thrown in front of them I've noticed. I'm leaving it open in my mind.

Here is the info:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/nyregion/15bodies.html?_r=0

Published: December 14, 2010

Commissioner Dormer said they were spread over a quarter mile, each 500 feet from the next. But they were placed there at different times, judging by their varying degrees of decomposition, he said.

“Obviously, it does not look like they were dumped at the same time,” he said. “A couple of them were there a year, or year and a half, or maybe two years. Not recent.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/nyregion/06bodies.html

Published: April 5, 2011

Investigators said that although they were placed there at different times, the four women were all in their 20s and that they had all advertised for clients on Craigslist.

Thank You TF - you are always helpful!

I totally agree.

So where did the rumors about them being dumped at the same time originate?
Question is not directed at you JK, just throwing it out there.
I would have liked to ask Kolker about that.

I'm going to throw this out there too:

Mr. Kolker, if you are reading here, please id yourself and open up for some questions to be asked...what's the harm?
Regards to you either way - I liked the book - and I regret missing your interview with Trisha...sigh...

LE has given little to no details re: the condition of any of the finds. FGS, they won't even release pictures of any clothing found or the blanket that the toddler was wrapped in. Pictures of these items and the burlap, especially if it was bag-like or marked in some way, might have drawn more tips from the public.

IMO, SPD, is not looking for assistance. Up until now, it appears they have not wanted assistance from the public.

Hello all. I'm Bob Kolker, and this is my first post on WS. I've been reading the site carefully for a while now, and as I said on the podcast to Tricia, I'm very impressed with the discussions and grateful for the insights. I'm also grateful that some of you have read the book and have had such nice things to say about it and have come back with even more questions. If this book can keep the discussion going, that's great.

About the bodies and the placement: What I said about the bodies being placed all at once is not a "rumor." It's a theory I brought up during the podcast. I have no idea if it's true or not, but it seems logical to me, since I doubt the killer would want to be wasting time rooting around looking for old bodies while dumping new ones. Of course, I don't know if this theory is true. And you are quite correct to say that the theory does not fit with what Dormer said about the bodies on 12/14/10. Personally -- and again, this is just my opinion -- I don't think anything said those first couple days can be seen as definitive. You may recall that Suffolk County also said early on that they all were dead at least a year, something that proved not to be accurate in the case of Megan and Amber. So when it comes to those early statements, I feel all bets are off.

By the way, when I say nothing they said in those early days is definitive, that may also apply to the burlap and the condition of the remains. Were they wrapped in burlap, or was burlap just found nearby all of them, or just some of them? Were the skeletons completely stripped of all flesh, or not? I found I can only rely on what we all have read in the news accounts, since the police have stopped talking about it. (The family members I interviewed all do believe, based on what police told them, that the skeletons were more or less intact and they were in burlap. So that's helpful, but again, until the police offer more detail, we're all left to speculate.)

While I'm here, I should also clear up something from an earlier post on this forum. I never meant to imply that Cruz is the father of Megan's daughter. When I said she wanted to have another child with him, I meant another child for *her*. Sorry to be imprecise.

Also, when I said something to the effect that LE is "just begging the public for more information," I did not mean to imply any special knowledge of the police. I was talking about what Varrone said on 48 Hours in July when asked if the police had any leads. His only response was a plea that people who know something come forward with more information. You can take that response any number of ways, but personally, to me, that suggests they have little to go on at the moment.

Thanks again. I'm happy to be part of the conversation from here going forward, when time allows.

Hello all. I'm Bob Kolker, and this is my first post on WS. I've been reading the site carefully for a while now, and as I said on the podcast to Tricia, I'm very impressed with the discussions and grateful for the insights. I'm also grateful that some of you have read the book and have had such nice things to say about it and have come back with even more questions. If this book can keep the discussion going, that's great.

About the bodies and the placement: What I said about the bodies being placed all at once is not a "rumor." It's a theory I brought up during the podcast. I have no idea if it's true or not, but it seems logical to me, since I doubt the killer would want to be wasting time rooting around looking for old bodies while dumping new ones. Of course, I don't know if this theory is true. And you are quite correct to say that the theory does not fit with what Dormer said about the bodies on 12/14/10. Personally -- and again, this is just my opinion -- I don't think anything said those first couple days can be seen as definitive. You may recall that Suffolk County also said early on that they all were dead at least a year, something that proved not to be accurate in the case of Megan and Amber. So when it comes to those early statements, I feel all bets are off.

By the way, when I say nothing they said in those early days is definitive, that may also apply to the burlap and the condition of the remains. Were they wrapped in burlap, or was burlap just found nearby all of them, or just some of them? Were the skeletons completely stripped of all flesh, or not? I found I can only rely on what we all have read in the news accounts, since the police have stopped talking about it. (The family members I interviewed all do believe, based on what police told them, that the skeletons were more or less intact and they were in burlap. So that's helpful, but again, until the police offer more detail, we're all left to speculate.)

While I'm here, I should also clear up something from an earlier post on this forum. I never meant to imply that Cruz is the father of Megan's daughter. When I said she wanted to have another child with him, I meant another child for *her*. Sorry to be imprecise.

Also, when I said something to the effect that LE is "just begging the public for more information," I did not mean to imply any special knowledge of the police. I was talking about what Varrone said on 48 Hours in July when asked if the police had any leads. His only response was a plea that people who know something come forward with more information. You can take that response any number of ways, but personally, to me, that suggests they have little to go on at the moment.

Thanks again. I'm happy to be part of the conversation from here going forward, when time allows.

Thanks so much for joining us!

I really enjoyed your book!

I thought of a couple of questions for you, Mr. Kolker, if you have time:

- do you think Shannan's bipolar disorder could have played a part in her freaking out, calling 911, and ending up in the swamp? If she wasn't on her bipolar meds and taking illegal drugs, I could see how that might happen.

- Is it your opinion that the other victims found in a differen location (the Asian male, the toddler, etc) are victims of the same killer?

Welcome to the WS forum Mr. Bob Kolker, I really enjoyed your interview, I haven´t read your book yet, but looking forward to it.

Hi Bob BeachBoy! I am delighted that you joined us!
Very cool of you to open yourself up for questioning - we won't give you a hard time, lol, but we will try to pick your brain!

Thank you for answering the previous questions. When you have time, I have more questions for you!

For example: Re: Melissa - did you have contact with J. Terry (MB's romeo boyfriend/pimp)? I ask because he claims to have received calls from the killer taunting him about Melissa. Did you get to talk to him about that? If so, what was your impression? Did you believe him? Did LE believe him?

Another thing I'm wondering about - there are so many agencies involved; do you know who has ultimate authority in this case? Who is truly investigating? Are the FBI involved? I know they were in the beginning...how about now?

As a side note - there are reports the FBI is investigating MS13 gang activity in the area...some reports are that local LE (Suffolk) is being investigated too...Do you have any info on that that you can share? (This may not be related to the GB4, but it is related to a particular LE officer, who now apparently heads this case).

One thing I read in your book that I didn't know before - Shannan's call to 911 for help was apparently transferred multiple times, so I get the impression nobody stayed with her. That leads me to question how they can say what her state of mind was...either way, she said they were trying to kill her...and she did end up dead - she never made it out of that neighborhood. (RIP)

Do you notice any significance to the Dec. 14th date? I'm thinking of at least 4 things that happened around that date: JB's suicide; Discovery of Shannan's remains; Discovery of other remains on OP; Chief James Burke's attack on Loeb.

Thanks again and welcome. :thewave: speaking for myself, I would like to keep the discussion going too.

I'm also curious if you can share any more impressions of Joseph Brewer. The segment in the book was short and a bit eerie. I wonder if you can say any more.

I'm curious about Tony G. The info I've been able to gather on him is scarce. Other than his connection to Model Mayhem and his non-profit website, I can find nothing. Is there anything more you can offer?

Thanks to everyone for your messages. I appreciate it and I'm glad you're finding the book helpful in some way. Here are some responses to the questions people have asked so far:

- I do think Shannan's bipolar disorder could have played a part in her freaking out, calling 911, and ending up in the swamp. There are inconsistencies with that scenario, though. For instance, it's hard for me to imagine her also being lucid enough to call 911 and stay on the phone with them for that long. And I don't understand how her clothing ends up a quarter mile from her body. And finally, I agree with TwoCuriousCats's thoughts on how hard it would be to measure Shannan's state of mind from the phone call alone (and Brewer is clearly not telling the full story of what was going on during the date).

- I am persuaded by Dormer's suggestion that the the same killer developed his m.o. and that the other victims are also his victims. But there is so much we don't know about that those other remains and those cases that I can't say I have the same conviction about that theory that Dormer does.

- I did have some contact with J. Terry but I did not get the chance to ask him about what the Daily Beast printed about those calls he said he received. My impression in general about him is that most anything he says requires outside verification.

- You asked about who has ultimate authority in investigating this case. I think the FBI has consulted a little bit from almost the beginning, but that the control has always rested and still rests with Suffolk County. I don't know anything about the MS13 gang issues; sorry.

- I see the coincidence of Shannan's remains being found a year after the first four. It's remarkable to me. The other events you mention don't seem quite as serendipitous. I'm not sure that suicide you're referring to has anything to do with anything.

- You asked for more impressions of Brewer. I hope the interview from the book reveals at least something about him -- how evasive and defiant and self-serving he is; how eager he is to talk about how great he is; how uninterested he is in considering any possible role (even unwitting) he might have played in Shannan's death; how he believes himself to be a hero in this story (!).

- Sorry, I have no info on Tony G.

Thanks again,

Bob

I'm curious about Tony G. The info I've been able to gather on him is scarce. Other than his connection to Model Mayhem and his non-profit website, I can find nothing. Is there anything more you can offer?

Tony G? This is the first I'm hearing this name. Can you fill me in or PM me a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni