UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if these questions have already been answered...

but in reference to the comments that Susan desired that Josh become more active in the church...

Was Josh raised LDS? Is his family LDS? Were they married in the temple?

His dad is very anti-LDS.

I don't think Josh was raised LDS.

Susan met Josh when she was 18 at a singles ward of the LDS Church in Puyallup. A short time later, the two married at the LDS Portland Temple.

Josh Powell's attorney, Scott Williams. He defended the female perp in Elizabeth's Smart kidnapping.

It sounds like he's planning to move in with pops, in Washington State, permanently. Wonder if that will have an effect on whether Scott Williams will want to continue to represent him? Or, maybe it's one of those situations where the attorney will wait and see if Josh is possibly returned to Utah.

Please tell me this prominent defense attorney isn't Mark Gerigos -- has he been identified?

From Superpages.com:

Description
Scott C Williams in Salt Lake City, UT
We have been proudly serving the Salt Lake City, UT area since 1995.

Trial Attorney, Over 10 Years Of Felony Trial Experience, President Utah Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers 2004-2005

Josh Powell's attorney, Scott Williams. He defended the female perp in Elizabeth's Smart kidnapping.

So he had to have done that one pro bono, right? Because otherwise she would have had a public defender.

Why would a prominent attorney choose to defend the female perp in that case? I don't know what her plea was, but it wasn't "insanity"?

Also, since a prominent attorney choose to do this - is this an anti-Mormon attorney? Or, do you think Josh's father thinks so?

I'm just asking - I used to be a legal secretary and I know they sometimes lawyers have a requirement with their firm to do a certain number of pro bono cases -- but it seems odd that even if this attorney chose to do this (for publicity) -- that that is why Josh's father (we know whose behind this) chose him?

Was he chosen because Josh's father thinks he's anti-Mormon? or is he? anyone know his atty's past history? Reputation in Utah?

Tuning in and catching up on here...please correct me if I'm wrong, trying to get a summary here.

Mom suddenly feels ill on Sunday evening while working on craft project with friend. Goes to sleep, friend continues to help out while Dad and boys are in the house. Friend leaves...and Dad decides to take toddlers SLEDDING AND CAMPING in UT forest area around midnight?

Mom/Dad don't show up to work on Monday and by Weds, Mom is missing person. Dad becomes uncooperative with police investigation, uses a rental car to log an abnormal amount of mileage while police check vehicle and then decides to jump town and go to his father's house in WA with the kids in tow. Shows up to a candlelight vigil for his wife and barely talks to anyone.

Dad has made limited efforts to search for wife in UT and Dad's father will not help at all.

This case is CRAZY! I only hope those boys aren't in any danger, judging by the late night snow sledding trip and then being ripped out of house to go to Grandpas while their mother is missing (which I am sure they probably don't understand what is happening anyway).

Someone needs to drag Dad's butt back to UT a.s.a.p. IMO, it seems like he has all the answers.

Prayers for Susan, her family and her boys. It would be a change of pace to see that her husband wasn't involved as we have all seen how some of these cases unfortunately end, but I'm not holding my breath.

Glad to see everyone on here, in Susan's community and hopefully on the national level are paying attention and helping out.

(bbm) Sadly, that's pretty much on point... w minor correction that "sledding" trip took place earlier that evening (from approx. 8:30-11:30pm) after which JP and the boys returned. Not long afterward (12:30am) he subsequently decides to take boys on another, midnight "camping" trip in sub-freezing temps in a snowstorm w a back-up generator in tow.

:parrot:

Does anyone know how does Josh afford this prominent attorney or has that already been answered....just curious?

So he had to have done that one pro bono, right? Because otherwise she would have had a public defender.

Why would a prominent attorney choose to defend the female perp in that case? I don't know what her plea was, but it wasn't "insanity"?

Also, since a prominent attorney choose to do this - is this an anti-Mormon attorney? Or, do you think Josh's father thinks so?

I think the answer to both your questions is, "Because it's all over the national media."

The woman in the Elizabeth Smart case tried to go the insanity route. They got a court order to make her take her meds. She pleaded guilty a few months ago.

Williams also represented one of the suspects in the 1995 murder of Kiplyn Davis:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27673&highlight=kiplyn+davis

The name of his law firm is simply Scott C. Williams LLC, so he's not part of a major firm. If you check the street view in Google Earth, you can see it's a corner building that is shared with other businesses.

He's definitely gotta be going the pro bono route to build his reputation on such a high profile case.

Thanks - but do you know the attorney's background or his firm's?

I would guess that in Utah, there may be cases (just guessing) that would would amount to be "anti-Mormon" in everything but the legal wording . . .

To defend this woman, it's almost like "anti-Ed Smart", and we (or I did anyway) see Ed Smart with Chuck Cox on television (NG or JVM).

I know we cannot know what Steven Powell is thinking (or Josh), but hmmmm --

Does that make any sense to anyone? That the father found this atty thinking the "anti-' thing? Hopefully, he made a HUGE mistake. Hopefully, this guy has ethics --

I have been looking for the physical stats on Susan for about an hour and finally found them here on a closed thread. Susan was a lightweight. She must have watched her weight closely especially having two small children. I'm assuming here. I wanted to try to visualize how Josh may have lifted her body. I hope she is alive. However, I doubt she is.

I am still puzzled by the dinner she ate. Has anyone heard anything about her being ill before eating the dinner Josh fixed? Did he cook often?

I hate cases like this.

I saw several pictures of the two of them standing together, and he's a good foot taller than her. She's 5'4'' He doesn't look tall in the news videos, but he is.

I'm just asking - I used to be a legal secretary and I know they sometimes lawyers have a requirement with their firm to do a certain number of pro bono cases -- but it seems odd that even if this attorney chose to do this (for publicity) -- that that is why Josh's father (we know whose behind this) chose him?

Was he chosen because Josh's father thinks he's anti-Mormon? or is he? anyone know his atty's past history? Reputation in Utah?

The woman in the Elizabeth Smart case plead guilty, once she was on meds she no longer went with any kind of insanity plea.

ETA; I don't know about anti-mormon from him, he might just be an "everyone deserves a good defense attorney especially if it's high profile"....

Is he really going to be able to leave the state? This infuriates me!

Disclaimer---I am not a mental health professional of any kind. I find psychology fascinating, and the following is my opinion, based upon what I have read and studied on my own.

Some mental illnesses or personality disorders are less evident when a person is younger, then become more severe in early adulthood. Some types of deviant personalities, such as sociopaths, are very proficient actors. They are aware that their true personality is not socially acceptable, so they observe "normal" people and imitate their behavior. They can be extremely deceptive.

When a "normal" person marries a sociopath, they will gradually experience more and more of that person's true personality...it is hard to accept the fact that the person you thought you married really fooled you into believing their "public" personality, (the one you saw before you married them), which was not their true personality. When you live with someone day in and day out, they can't keep fooling you forever. If their true personality is sociopathic, and they become aware that they can no longer control you by fooling you, they decide to get rid of you. "Get rid of" can mean anything from leaving, divorcing, alienating your children from you, taking the children, leaving you penniless, up to or including physically harming you or murder. Just depends upon how sick your particular sociopath is!

Sociopaths live among us. They blend in. They can be charming, smart, successful in their chosen field. A young woman; even a very intelligent one, can be fooled in to falling in love. It happens too often!

This is what Susan was talking about when she said that she just wanted the "old" Josh back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u