Casey's seizure? NEW INFORMATION 2011.09.08

Status
Not open for further replies.
When googling the subject psychopaths who appear to fake seizures you will find that it isn't common. Some people who are incarcerated for violent crimes have been studied by nuropsychologist who have found through imaging to have Left frontal brain activity on fire in laymens terms. Right brain showing little activity. You will find alot of studies on the internet. The good thing is it can't be used for defense. Brain imaging is not allowed in court. The brain made me do it is no defense. It was stated by CA I believe that KC behavior after so called seizure was alert and smiley. There are 12 forms of seizures and hers didn't seem to mimick any from the accounts of her behavior while in the ER. So drug or alchohol, hot spot on brain, tumors, unknown origin seizures, or psych problems? I was only aware of the one account reported by JG of KC having a seizure.

I will sit on the fence with this one. Its has not been proven she even had one. The hospital could tell if it was actually one or not and without us reading the medical files we wont know if in fact it took place.

i believe the seizure that she was taken to the ER for was drug induced (overdose etc)

Very hard to fake a seizure, Shutterfly! =) Even the "minor" ones like I have. They are almost impossible to catch on an EEG, though....

Here's what I can offer based on my experiences:

I have partial-complex seizures and luckily have only hurt myself on the way down once (luckily on carpet..usually I can only say "I don't feel well" and then lose consciousness).

Here's an interesting thought though: I have a lesion on my left frontal lobe (between motor skills and personality area) that was found in May of this year after I began losing vision with my typical migraines. Stress, and all of the other "triggers" can cause seizures for me....perhaps Casey ought to have an MRI with and without contrast...it might be interesting to know whether she has any lesions.

When they first discovered mine, it was after an MRI without contrast. I was out of town and had a stat MRI when I returned home. Between that time period, I already had decided that I would not have surgery if it indeed was malignant. I would not be "myself" ever again...is is possible that Casey has some lesions that she/her docs are unaware of? They can cause drastic, odd behavior.

[I also work at a huge hospital and interact with so many Neurologists/Neurosurgeons, it's scary! They call my lesion a "UBO" (Unidentified Brain Object). I thought they were kidding with that term!!!]

If anyone would like me to scout around some specific questions to either my personal Neurologist or the many I know, ask away!

Very hard to fake a seizure, Shutterfly! =) Even the "minor" ones like I have. They are almost impossible to catch on an EEG, though....

Here's what I can offer based on my experiences:

I have partial-complex seizures and luckily have only hurt myself on the way down once (luckily on carpet..usually I can only say "I don't feel well" and then lose consciousness).

Here's an interesting thought though: I have a lesion on my left frontal lobe (between motor skills and personality area) that was found in May of this year after I began losing vision with my typical migraines. Stress, and all of the other "triggers" can cause seizures for me....perhaps Casey ought to have an MRI with and without contrast...it might be interesting to know whether she has any lesions.

When they first discovered mine, it was after an MRI without contrast. I was out of town and had a stat MRI when I returned home. Between that time period, I already had decided that I would not have surgery if it indeed was malignant. I would not be "myself" ever again...is is possible that Casey has some lesions that she/her docs are unaware of? They can cause drastic, odd behavior.

[I also work at a huge hospital and interact with so many Neurologists/Neurosurgeons, it's scary! They call my lesion a "UBO" (Unidentified Brain Object). I thought they were kidding with that term!!!]

If anyone would like me to scout around some specific questions to either my personal Neurologist or the many I know, ask away!

Thanks for that information. My question is... is it common to "froth at the mouth" during one isolated seizure? I'm curious, because when JG further elaborated about KC's seizure, he said she was frothing at the mouth. This was after a night of heavy drinking, he said. I was a little skeptical about that.

I think it is likely it took place given the way JG described it. It would be extremely, extremely hard for her to fake what he described and besides that, if it didn't happen, why would he lie?

I, myself, have never frothed..however, my mouth waters like one is going to be sick to their stomach...extreme nausea before seizures...nor have I seen grand-mal seizure patients do that...and I have observed many patients seizing in EMUs (Epilepsy Monitoring Units)..

I haven't ever seen that...but let me do some asking around =) Good question...give me a couple of days and I should have an answer.

If she was frothing, my first instinct is to think that she ODed on something.

Water in the lungs will cause frothing, as well...if stomach contents aspirated into her lungs, it's possible, but I don't think from a seizure.

But, I am not an expert...at all! And, every seizure patient is different...so let me do some digging at work =)

I, myself, have never frothed..however, my mouth waters like one is going to be sick to their stomach...extreme nausea before seizures...nor have I seen grand-mal seizure patients do that...and I have observed many patients seizing in EMUs (Epilepsy Monitoring Units)..

I haven't ever seen that...but let me do some asking around =) Good question...give me a couple of days and I should have an answer.

Water in the lungs will cause frothing, as well...if stomach contents aspirated into her lungs, it's possible, but I don't think from a seizure.

But, I am not an expert...at all! And, every seizure patient is different...so let me do some digging at work =)

Thanks for that!

No problem!! I'm glad I can offer something and will get back to you on this question as soon as I get answers from at least a couple of Attending docs. =)

Thanks for that information. My question is... is it common to "froth at the mouth" during one isolated seizure? I'm curious, because when JG further elaborated about KC's seizure, he said she was frothing at the mouth. This was after a night of heavy drinking, he said. I was a little skeptical about that.
My epileptic son gets a lot of foamy type saliva running out of his mouth because he chews on his tongue something fierce during his tonic-clonics. Imagine eating with your mouth open and the saliva build up to help break down food just runs out of the mouth. I have pulled him out of a foamy pile of saliva before because he was going to drown in it.

Thanks for your input TL.
Boy I will sure agree that every person's seizures are so different.

When I was in my early twenties, I was diagnosed with panic disorder and prescribed Xanax by a very misguided General Physician. I took fairly large doses of Xanax daily for about a year and a half. The doctor I was seeing passed away, so I went to another (equally dumb) doctor who had me go cold turkey off the Xanax, and prescribed me Zoloft. Result: seizures that landed me in the hospital. I finally was put in the care of a knowlegeable doctor who weaned me off slowly.

I never had a seizure in my life before that, and I have never had another one since. However, I have battled major depression since then. I believe Xanax altered my brain chemistry permanently. Since my experience, I have learned of many horror stories involving Xanax withdrawal and seizures. Just a thought. If KC was using Xanax, especially purchased on the black market, and her supply abruptly ran out, it could very well cause seizures.

This is the first I've heard of this. Yet another example of Casey's parents allowing Casey to not follow rules. After all, they gave her that car.
This rumor was squashed. She did have a driver license per the FL DMV website and the docs.

Oh and she did graduate high school too.

My epileptic son gets a lot of foamy type saliva running out of his mouth because he chews on his tongue something fierce during his tonic-clonics. Imagine eating with your mouth open and the saliva build up to help break down food just runs out of the mouth. I have pulled him out of a foamy pile of saliva before because he was going to drown in it.

Aha. I'm getting an education. Thanks. I hope your son is doing OK in general.

This rumor was squashed. She did have a driver license per the FL DMV website and the docs.

Oh and she did graduate high school too.

Thanks Jbean. I was wondering why this wasn't discussed more if it were true.

Now, regarding the seizure story- I wonder if one of the defense tactics will be to have Casey checked out completely- MRI, EEG, and such to see if there are leisions on her brain. A physiological defense would be the only hope for them to get her out of murder charges.

I would question whether it was a true seizure or not.

Some people will confuse other things with seizures- some panic attacks could be confused or possibly a maniac attack if she was bipolar. IMO I think there is a possibility that KC might be bipolar.

Thanks Jbean. I was wondering why this wasn't discussed more if it were true.

Now, regarding the seizure story- I wonder if one of the defense tactics will be to have Casey checked out completely- MRI, EEG, and such to see if there are leisions on her brain. A physiological defense would be the only hope for them to get her out of murder charges.

I would sincerely encourage this whether it is a part of a defense strategy or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine