Another New Lawyer for Casey - Dorothy Sims

Next few days will be interesting to see if Dorothy Sims actually files a NOA in docket or if LKB files a Withdrawal to see if indeed Ms. Sims is "joining" defense team as an attorney of record.

It appears Ms. Sims usually works for plaintiff attorneys in preparing them to cross examine defense witnesses (usually doctors) in insurance and workman comp cases/

Dorothy Sims is a plaintiff attorney in Florida.

http://brainandspine.titololawoffic...-scale-against-persons-with-brain-impairment/

It appears that she typically just advises the attorneys of record, but does not conduct the cross examinations herself...

Dorothy Clay Sims limits her practice to cross-examining physicians in personal injury, family, and criminal cases throughout the United States. Her practice includes the preparation of deposition/trial cross materials and questions, and preparation of mediation packages for nationally known personal injury lawyers. She is a Past President of the Marion County Bar Association and past President of the Florida Worker’s Advocate. Ms. Sims is the senior partner in the firm Sims & Stakenborg, P.A., with offices in Gainesville and Ocala, Florida

http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/xchg/justice/hs.xsl/5623.htm

Although she has no formal training in medicine or psychology, she has several thousand hours of time invested in learning how some defense-oriented medical experts (DMEs) manipulate the data.

Dorothy is also retained by lawyers to go to their offices and provide private seminars on issues involving:

1. Cross-examination of medical and vocational experts.

2. How to research DMEs and what to do with the research.

3. How to research medical causation and disability issues; how to store the research; and how to interpret the articles.

4. How to read DME reports and identify what was misrepresented or omitted; how to recognize patterns of deceit.

5. How to conduct research instantly, in the middle of cross-examination.

6. How to reduce overhead and use technology and the internet to maximize benefits to clients and reduce costs and workload for attorneys.

Lawyers have requested that Dorothy bring her lead paralegal to teach other paralegals how to perform background searches on doctors and analyze the information for the attorney, as well as how and where to store it; how to download software; and how to and arrange for depositions by video-phone.

Ms. Sims volunteers in pro bono cases in civil and criminal matters.

http://www.jamespublishing.com/bios/expbio.htm

Article Published by Dorothy Sims on Cross Examination...interesting read...

http://www.doereport.com/article_crossexamining.php

So I think her role is not going to be to actually become defense attorney on record but is participating in the role of "skooling" Baez and Mason on cross examining the State Witness Experts.

Only problem I foresee with that is that previous behavior has shown that baez does NOT "play well with others", especially if they are making suggestions as to what he NEEDS to do...

Wonder how long until she realizes that associating with this defense team has potential to kill her career? :waitasec:

Wow, I wonder if Cindy's co that is paying her disability will hire her.

--------------------------
With Dr.G. handling the autopsy I doubt a problem.If you've ever watched her you know she leaves no stone unturned,even in the toughest cases.Yes I wonder what happened to LKB..How long will this one last?

I was so glad to know Dr G was handling Caylee's autopsy - she is fair, plays it straight and knows where to find answers that someone else could just leave "unk" or "natural/unnatural causes", when it could be something more sinister. It's almost like she is able to get inside the remains and tells their story.

With all the lies from the camp, that should want the truth, more than anyone on the planet - Caylee needed Dr G. We are lucky to have her.

Color by me.

I read about her and she seems like a decent person. Why she's interested in helping KC is curious. :waitasec: Especially if she's doing it pro bono. :waitasec:

LCM looks over shoulder, :drink: nope, :drink: nope, :drink: ehh? ah - nope, :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: nope..... I was thinking, :waitasec: maybe with enough KC Special Kool-Aid, the defense was going after the truth! :ashamed0005: But nope, :shakehead: that just won't happen. Not with Manny, Moe and Cindy watching! :Benny_monkeysmilies

I just have to get this off my chest. I know others may disagree, but ,I don't consider the defense finding a technical loophole to be a FAIR trial for the victim , the citizens or even the defendent.
If an attorney actually believed their client was innocent ,I understand no holds barred.
If you know your client is guilty a FAIR defense would be a good plea deal that included rehabilitation. Maybe it would include mitigating factors, but honestly, getting a guilty client off on a technicality or by deliberately confusing a jury, is not really a win for anyone. IMO it involves selling your soul.
How can MC look a jury in the eye and proclaim his client innocent when there is a video of him saying she is clearly guilty?
I hope this new lawyer is more about mitigation and less about Hokus Pokus. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, but sometimes that's just what it is !

Interesting comment under the article...who was it that called the evidence "junk science?"

Notice of New Co-Counsel

Short and sweet: "I'm here."

BBM

AND........the defense has "tied me up" so the State of Florida can NOT consult with me. AL is familiar with that move. Just saying.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Exposing-Deceptive-Defense-Doctors-Dorothy/dp/1580121322"]http://www.amazon.com/Exposing-Deceptive-Defense-Doctors-Dorothy/dp/1580121322[/ame]

http://ocalaw.com/bio/dcs.php All quotes below with credit to website listed.
Dorothy began publishing on the subject in various state and national legal journals. She has lectured extensively on medical/legal issues with focus on direct and cross-examination of medical experts hired by the defense. She has lectured throughout the U.S., Canada, Japan and India on legal/psychiatric issues giving over 300 speeches to doctors and lawyers.

She also conferences with lawyers on an individual basis in areas involving various methods used by defense experts. Topics include medical/legal aspects of various medical and psychiatric conditions and common tactics used by the defense to avoid diagnosis and causation. This includes determining when DME's have misrepresented psychological and neuropsychological data.

In some cases, with proper notice, she is available to instant message suggested questions to lead counsel as he or she conducts the cross examination in real time while Dorothy listens to the testimony of the defense expert.

Dorothy Sims flew to D.C. to meet with the president of the National Organization for Women to discuss the misuse of certain psychological tests when applied to women

And geesh, how many lawyers are needed on one case? And what could possibly keep attracting lawyers to this one? That might deserve it's own thread, lol.
Snipped

My thoughts exactly! I actually said "geesh" too, then came across your post. :dance:

Why does this low-life nobody, this waste of space have the privilege of having all these lawyers?

If any of us were in legal trouble, we would have no choice but to have our one court appointed attorney.

It's infuriating.

Snipped

My thoughts exactly! I actually said "geesh" too, then came across your post. :dance:

Why does this low-life nobody, this waste of space have the privilege of having all these lawyers?

If any of us were in legal trouble, we would have no choice but to have our one court appointed attorney.

It's infuriating.

ITA - Next up will be an attorney that will be deemed co-counsel limited to picking out KC's clothes.....

O/T - the 2 pictures on the bottom are priceless - bravo!

ITA - Next up will be an attorney that will be deemed co-counsel limited to picking out KC's clothes.....

[snip]

I wonder who will be co-counsel "ICA Anger Management"?

AL used to play that role, tightly holding ICA's wrist and squeezing hard as ICA's temper flared or emotions spilled.

JB is not so good, he seems to prefer to try to ignore ICA now or slyly look across.

Who is going to keep ICA's emotions in control during hearings and the trial?

So is the state of Florida paying fro this? And if so why? and who exactly agreed to it?

I'm confused. Ms Sims has an impressive specialty but I'm not really seeing her line of expertise as comparable to LKB's as far as forensics are concerned IMO.

I almost wonder if the Defense is going to throw the Psychiatrists who examined KC initially as ordered by JS, under the bus and atempt to now claim she's been insane all the while. They have a lot to work with using that defense, more than any other IMO. The fact that Cindy hadn't seen her, to look her in the eye, had prevented her from seeing the red flag. You can't kill her if you ignored the red flag, blah, blah. I won't give them any ideas. It just makes me wonder whats really going on.

The above defense well proven would make us all go ahhhhhh. Well maybe definately not us but maybe a single juror whose favourite Aunt Mim had undiagnosed mental illness and balh, blah...I just can't vote guilty. OMG.

Karn, LKB will probably still handle the forensics/DNA...Dorothy Sims is for cross examination only...JMHO

Her notices states she "is appearing as co-counsel for the defendant…for the limited purpose of cross-examining experts."

The website for Sims' law firm says she works with lawyers nationwide in cross-examining physicians at trial and during depositions.

So, I believe she will try and discredit Dr. G and her autopsy of precious Caylee and her report...homicide by undetermined means will probably be the focus. Since one can't state HOW Caylee died, would go against seeking the DP conviction, KWIM??? JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Justice for Caylee

Karn, LKB will probably still handle the forensics/DNA...Dorothy Sims is for cross examination only...JMHO

So, I believe she will try and discredit Dr. G and her autopsy of precious Caylee and her report...homicide by undetermined means will probably be the focus. Since one can't state HOW Caylee died, would go against seeking the DP conviction, KWIM??? JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Justice for Caylee

I hope you're right and I'm being paranoid. The jail visit kind of threw me. If she's just there to x examine experts, does she even have to meet ICA? I'd think if I were her the less I knew about the client the better. The science is either solid or it isn't. How is adding in an emotional component going to alter the science???
Stinks a little to me LLL. Plus I think the idea of instant messaging during the trial will anger many jurors who had their cell phones and ipads confiscated day 1. My son needed to have a psych assessment as part of a long process in determining if he was learning disabled. After waiting 18 months to see the child psychiatrist from the required specialty clinic, my son and I were sat in a room facing a 2 way mirror with a social worker between us who had a heaadset on. She then explained that the Doctor was sitting on the other side of the mirror and would ask questions through her. I watched myself turn beet red and the veins start pulsing in my forehead and as I was explaining to the social worker how unacceptable it was to me that my child should have a psch exam in such a bizarre and foreign environment. He was 7 staring at himself in the mirror to a complete invisible stranger that had the power to affect his whole life, the social worker put up her hand to stop me while she pressed her other hand against the headset then said 'the doctor wants to know if you're depressed'. I answered no, I'm outraged we waited a year for this and I took my sons hand and we walked out. I could walk out but the jury can't. They'll just get pissed off IMO that it appears JB is cheating or unprepared or being coached by some invisible professional entity.

You got me thinking here about this new attorney. If she is hired just to discredit some others testimony(s), WHY did she have the long visit with ICA? I think they are still reaching for some 'reason' why she did what she did. A head injury? Seizure disorder? A lack of O2, maybe caused by her over-bearing mother's hands wringing her neck? There is more to this attorney's visit

I'm confused. Ms Sims has an impressive specialty but I'm not really seeing her line of expertise as comparable to LKB's as far as forensics are concerned IMO.

I almost wonder if the Defense is going to throw the Psychiatrists who examined KC initially as ordered by JS, under the bus and atempt to now claim she's been insane all the while. They have a lot to work with using that defense, more than any other IMO. The fact that Cindy hadn't seen her, to look her in the eye, had prevented her from seeing the red flag. You can't kill her if you ignored the red flag, blah, blah. I won't give them any ideas. It just makes me wonder whats really going on.

The above defense well proven would make us all go ahhhhhh. Well maybe definately not us but maybe a single juror whose favourite Aunt Mim had undiagnosed mental illness and balh, blah...I just can't vote guilty. OMG.

OK, I can see this BUT! Did Aunt Mim take her 2 year old daughter away from home, family and everyone she knew, only to return alone 31 days later with ridiculous lies about the whereabouts of said 2 year old? Then have the skeletal remains show up 6 months later, literally feet from her home - with her little skull wrapped in duct tape (special, rare duct tape! - matching a roll found in the family home)

Unless crazy Aunt Mim was involved in a similar story, I can't see the hardest, most jaded adult, not wanting ICA's head on a platter for this - I think this jury is going to be THAT repulsed by the photos from the dump site, that ICA is TOAST! All of them will want to be there to see her put out of her miserable existence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974
Back