British student murdered in Perugia, 3 suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW, I got ya sweetheart!!! That in all actuality is hard to respond to!!! DITTO!! Take Care and this case has always been perplexing to me, never been able to obtain enough info to make my own judgement!! Thanks for your insight... Ann

No, her sentenced can be lowered I think in appeals and also with good behavior... I think.

I heard the same thing on CNN tonight Dgfred. In fact they said it is during that appeal process when guilt is truly determined, either yea or nay.

I think the US Gvmt will get into the process now and there will be a deal cut to bring her home. Just like with what happened recently in the Orient with that American gal - can't remember her name. I don't know how that would work but wanted to come here to see what y'all are saying about the case tonight. xox

PS: I haven't read the whole thread, but did the US ever do an investigation? Everyone I have talked to here in Portland seems to think Amanda 'looks' guilty. :innocent:

Thanks for giving that link. The Perugia Murder Trial site is also an excellent sourse of information on this case.

Do you have a link dgfred? I would like to browse the site, also :)

TIA,

Salem

I for one think that she did not get a fair trial, the evidence did not indicate her guilty of murder and a huge injustice has occurred. I guess living in America, I expect certain things to be followed for a trial, but that doesn't happen in Italy.

I think from the time the investigators said "case closed", she was screwed.

Both at first said they spent the whole night together. RS changed that to 'I'm not sure AK was with me the whole night' after computer analysis showed they had not been home watching movies. AK then changes her story to 'I can't remember'. Why did they both turn their phones off early evening, something they had never been known to do before?

The staged break-in another piece of the puzzle. Who would do this and why?
Wouldn't it seem logical that maybe RS and AK did this to put the blame on RG alone since she had a key to get in? Why would evidence be cleaned up by a lone killer (footprints that were not his and blood swipes), but leave doo in the toilet and prints of himself still there? Would anyone really find their front door unlocked, blood drops in the bathroom, an unflushed doo in the toilet (which she didn't flush by the way), a room mate's door locked but no response by phone or knocking..... take a shower, return to her boyfriend's home and then return with him to investigate? I mean....... really???

What 'certain things' do you expect to apply that were not in this case?

Our justice system is really a mixture of English and Roman (Italian) law.

There was probably a big reason(s) for the investigator to say that... don't ya think? She was mostly self-screwed imo, by her mouth, her actions both before and after, and right much circumstancial and actual evidence of her guilt.

I for one think that she did not get a fair trial, the evidence did not indicate her guilty of murder and a huge injustice has occurred. I guess living in America, I expect certain things to be followed for a trial, but that doesn't happen in Italy.

I think from the time the investigators said "case closed", she was screwed.

What do you think points to her innocence and why do you think her trial was unfair?

I agree it is different, but am undecided about unfair.

TIA,

Salem

Do you have a link dgfred? I would like to browse the site, also :)

TIA,

Salem

I don't know how to link and I'm 45 yrs old :eek: . I just google - Perugia Murder Trial forum and get there that way.

I'd find another forum.

I've cleaned up a bit of crap on threads here but never anything like that!
Like Gitana said, "shades of Susan Smith", another lying murderess! They'd rather believe a black man did it than a white woman.:doh:
The difference here is that Amanda tried to frame an actual person by throwing him under the bus!
Come to think of it, I see many parallels with Casey Anthony too, another white woman who is a lying murderess and tries to throw actual and imaginary people under the bus...

What do you think points to her innocence and why do you think her trial was unfair?

I agree it is different, but am undecided about unfair.

TIA,

Salem

Please reread what I wrote. I didn't say anything pointed to her innocence. I said that I don't feel that the evidence pointed to her being guilty of murder. These are my opinions only. I have many reason why I feel this way; however, it's late, I'm tired and I'm ready for bed.

I'm not sure why I'm so upset about this verdict. I guess some things just affect people differently. I honestly don't feel like getting into a war of words about it, so I'll probably just keep my reasonings to myself.

Wow, all I'm hearing on this thread since the verdict is "poor Amanda" and "how can we get her sentence shortened?" Uh, what about Meredith, you know, the victim of a horrible, slow murder?

I also wonder if pro-Amanda posters' opinions of her would be different if Meredith had been American too.

Amanda is guilty, so is her boyfriend. The Italian justice system works just fine. Everyone is saying it sucks because they're used to the American justice system. Of course you like what is familiar and what you are used to. But the American way is not the only way, and the Italian justice system has been working just fine, and for many more years than America has been in existence.

Justice for Meredith was served tonight. I'm pleased.

I was on a jury a couple of years ago and we were instructed to stay away from media reports. I think it's necessary for a fair trial. The trial I was involved in didn't get any press I'm aware of, and it would be almost impossible to avoid hearing anything about this trial in Italy, but they should at least instruct the jury to do so. JMO

BBM

I can't imagine wanting to have sex after a sight like that had been burned into my memory. I think it would take some time. People do grieve differently but that seems hinky to me. It's almost like they got off on it.

I just finished watching Dateline and there are some things I didn't know before.

1. AK and RS's cellphones were found discarded. RS said he had called 911 before he actually did.

2. Computer forensic experts could find no evidence that RS was downloading movies at the time he claimed.

3. RG's hand print was found on a pillow.

4. When AK first came home she found the door open and proceeded to go in and take a shower without noticing the blood until she got out of the shower and dressed. (that doesn't pass the smell test. You come home find the door open, which is unusual, you don't notice anything wrong. You undress and take a shower. Get dressed and then notice the blood?! (In my best Judge Judy) If it doesn't make sense, it's not true!!)

5. Her multiple stories, which IMO, could be signs of coerced information. I don't think that happened but it does fit how things like that can happen JMO.

6. RS has a family member in the police there.

7. Her boss was jailed until they found RG's hand print.

8. Her nickname Foxy Knoxy was given to her for her soccer skills by her team.

9. Her boss was planning on firing her and rumor was he was going to hire Meredith.

I'm tired and that's all I can remember for now. :bedtime:
I just had to say what a stellar post Steely. Ya Ya

Now your AVI, could it be Stephen J. Cannell? xox

Wow, all I'm hearing on this thread since the verdict is "poor Amanda" and "how can we get her sentence shortened?" Uh, what about Meredith, you know, the victim of a horrible, slow murder?

I also wonder if pro-Amanda posters' opinions of her would be different if Meredith had been American too.

Amanda is guilty, so is her boyfriend. The Italian justice system works just fine. Everyone is saying it sucks because they're used to the American justice system. Of course you like what is familiar and what you are used to. But the American way is not the only way, and the Italian justice system has been working just fine, and for many more years than America has been in existence.

I totally agree with this post!:clap::clap::clap:

Sorry I am late to this case and am confused about a few things.

1. Are there any links to the testimony of the person who has previously been charged and convicted as to what he says about Amanda and her b/f's involvement or can someone just catch me up on what he said.

2. Any info on Amanda's boss. He has been cleared but wondering what his take on Amanda was. Did he think she did it?

3. Do Meredith's parents think these two are guilty?

Thanks!!!!

Isabella said "some" Americans take the position that she was railroaded. Also, I think she stated she was reading other boards which were lambasting Italy for it's decision. I don't think she's directing her comments to all Americans or to everyone on this board.

Bottom line, however, we Americans have the reputation around the world as a racist nation. Modern Europeans were very appalled and confused by segregation/Jim Crow laws, the images of civil rights protesters being hosed by LE, etc.. So, that has shaped their sentiment.
On going news about the KKK, hate crimes, Susan Smith type incidents, that kind of thing, helps shape European's views, rightly or wrongly, that we would rather have some black guy accused than a young white girl from the U.S..
Add to that a reputation for arrogance and imperialist zeal that we have in other countries and it makes sense why people in other nations believe we would refuse to accept the ruling of any foreign government on an American's guilt or innocence, regardless of evidence. I can't speak for Isabella and am not trying to but I can see the what people in other countries view as the motivation behind American protests of AK's innocence.

And the irony is that Europeans can be just as racist! I'm thinking of, oh, I don't know...Spanish football fans who black up & heckle Afro-Caribbean players on several occasions. I'm thinking of, oh, say Jean-Marie le Pen & his National Front or the British National Party (BNP). And let me not forget co-workers who use terms like 'Paki' or 'Chinky'...UGH!!!!! :furious:

I could go on, but you get the picture.

Just because there are no Jim Crow laws, etc, doesn't mean that racist and stereotypical behaviours aren't rampant, and that's true for any country. Europe isn't always the enlightened utopia it likes to make itself out to be. And I'm saying this as an American ex-pat living in the UK, btw.

However, having said that, I am not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out my personal observations over the past several years.

I've kept out of this because I haven't followed this case very carefully. However, the part I bolded made me come out of "lurk" mode. How can you say the Italian justice system has been working just fine? Have you forgotten the Mafia, or whatever they call it in Italy? I believe organized crime in that country even killed politicians and LE to keep themselves in business, no? I don't believe for one minute the Italian justice system works just fine in Italy and since I live close to Philadelphia, PA, I'm not even sure it's working just "fine" there - although I believe it's better than it was a few years ago when some mafioso got shot in the azz 'cause the perp was a very bad shot.

My opinion only

I heard the same thing on CNN tonight Dgfred. In fact they said it is during that appeal process when guilt is truly determined, either yea or nay.

I think the US Gvmt will get into the process now and there will be a deal cut to bring her home. Just like with what happened recently in the Orient with that American gal - can't remember her name. I don't know how that would work but wanted to come here to see what y'all are saying about the case tonight. xox

PS: I haven't read the whole thread, but did the US ever do an investigation? Everyone I have talked to here in Portland seems to think Amanda 'looks' guilty. :innocent:

She was accused of being a spy and everyone knew it was nonsense. We're talking about murder in this case. I don't think they'll get involved except to maybe ask she serve her sentence in the US.

It's possible AK might have had a better chance in keeping her freedom if she had separated from Rafealle S.
I believe the court came to the correct decision.

so does Amanda only get to stay in jail for 2 years? or am I missing something?

I've kept out of this because I haven't followed this case very carefully. However, the part I bolded made me come out of "lurk" mode. How can you say the Italian justice system has been working just fine? Have you forgotten the Mafia, or whatever they call it in Italy? I believe organized crime in that country even killed politicians and LE to keep themselves in business, no? I don't believe for one minute the Italian justice system works just fine in Italy and since I live close to Philadelphia, PA, I'm not even sure it's working just "fine" there - although I believe it's better than it was a few years ago when some mafioso got shot in the azz 'cause the perp was a very bad shot.

My opinion only

Yes, the mafia is from Italy and has been prevalent there over the years, as it has been here. But to say the Italian justice system has not attempted to control the problem the best they can (with the evidence available) and prosecute those responsible for mafia crimes is just not true. After the Ciaculli massacre, in 1963, right around the time of what is considered to be the 'first big mafia war' when a bunch of policemen were killed trying to defuse a car bomb actually meant for another mobster, almost 2000 mafioso were arrested, charged and convicted of thousands of crimes. Then in 1967 there was the huge trial of mafioso which centered on their involvement in the heroin trade (though admittedly evidence was very thin and all were acquitted). More recently there was the Maxi trial, in the mid 80s, which resulted in over 300 convictions of mafioso. Heck, in the 1920s Mussolini sent one of his top commanders to Sicily to combat the problems with the mafia, and the guy he sent was known for his tough-as-nails, iron-fisted tactics against mafioso. And these are only a couple of examples.

Just because the mafia came from Italy does NOT mean the Italian officials have just allowed the violence and racketeering to go on - the Italian government, over the years, has spent a mint trying to combat these criminals. No, they haven't 'solved' the problem yet, but has America 'solved' the drug problem here? No. That doesn't mean America isn't trying to fight it as best they can though. (Not that I believe the drug war does any good at all, and I'm for legalization/non-criminalization, but that's another story and entirely off-topic).

Finally, to compare the problem of the mafioso to Amanda Knox being convicted is ludicrous. One is a very sophisticated, clandestine group of very organized criminals with a wealth of money at their hands, the other a young female who murdered her roommate. Though they are/were, I guess, both dealt with by Italy's justice system, it makes no sense to say BECAUSE Italy's justice system has not been successful in eradicating the mafia THEN that same justice system must be entirely incompetent when trying Amanda Knox in the murder of Meredith Kercher.

ETA: Where are all the people sticking up for the boyfriend Sollecito? He's a young person just starting out in life, just like Amanda. Where's the sympathy for him? Oh wait, there is none, because he's not American. If Amanda was "railroaded" because she is American, that means Italy "railroaded" Sollecito...why? Because he's Italian? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine