Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

There are so many tattoo designs. I had no idea!

Looked at 26 pages here and I guess there are 84 total. None of them looked like our doe's.

http://www.grunt.com/corps/tattoos/P20/

I know! A lot of them have the same types of symbols, but they are all very different. I want to believe that the artist that did the tattoo may remember doing it, but who knows where he got it. It could have been done in another country.

So I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out whether or not Robert Scott King could be our UID and discovered another interesting thing. When I read the article from here: http://old.brownsvilleherald.com/ts_comments.php?id=58917_0_10_0_C, it links to the Brownsville Herald in Brownsville, TX. This man went missing from Brownsville, TX, not Brownsville, FL as indicated by the Charley Project profile. I'm not sure whether that means anything, but it certainly warrants an email to The Charley Project so they have the correct info.

For Robert King Scott, the circumstances of disappearance don't seem to match up. The UID was discovered in June of 1997, and Scott was reported missing a year later (although according to his Charley Project page, his mother claims he was supposed to visit him in Christmas of 1997). It doesn't say when his mother was told this though. Perhaps he could've even told her in April or May of 1997 that he'd visit? He wasn't reported missing for quite some time.

The boot camp idea is plausible IMO. Unfortunately that's a very large pool of people to sift through. What age would most people attend boot camp for the Marines? If we know this we can probably get an idea when the UID would have been in a boot camp regardless of whether he made it to the higher ranks or not.

The Robert King Scott link is worth looking into. There's a good pic of the UID's face on the NamUs page, and a good pic of Robert King Scott on his Charley project page. Take a look and give your take on the physical features of each.

UID: https://identifyus.org/cases/6814
Robert King Scott: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/scott_robert.html

For Robert King Scott, the circumstances of disappearance don't seem to match up. The UID was discovered in June of 1997, and Scott was reported missing a year later (although according to his Charley Project page, his mother claims he was supposed to visit him in Christmas of 1997). It doesn't say when his mother was told this though. Perhaps he could've even told her in April or May of 1997 that he'd visit? He wasn't reported missing for quite some time.[/url]

Robert left California in 1996 to live in Brownsville, TX. It sounds like they had very little contact, but he promised to come and see her after Christmas 1997. The info doesn't say when he told her that...it could have been early on in the year (I don't put too much weight on anything at this point considering the fact that the location he went missing from was incorrectly listed). The article indicates that he left to go to Brownsville in 1996 and disappeared less than a year later. No specific months are given.

The boot camp idea is plausible IMO. Unfortunately that's a very large pool of people to sift through. What age would most people attend boot camp for the Marines? If we know this we can probably get an idea when the UID would have been in a boot camp regardless of whether he made it to the higher ranks or not.

Most people would enter bootcamp between ages 18-20, although I have met people that have entered at a much later age. I think 18-20 would be a safe assumption. The age range for the UID is 20-30, so he could have been in the service presently or he could have been out. The years that he would have been in bootcamp would have ranged from 1985-1997.

Robert Scott was 28-29 years old when he went missing in 1997. His mother indicated that he joined the Marines when he was 18, which would have put him in bootcamp in 1987-1988. He was discharged from the Marines 2 years later which would have been in 1989-1990.

The Robert King Scott link is worth looking into. There's a good pic of the UID's face on the NamUs page, and a good pic of Robert King Scott on his Charley project page. Take a look and give your take on the physical features of each.

UID: https://identifyus.org/cases/6814
Robert King Scott: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/scott_robert.html

I have tried and tried to compare the 2 pics, but they are so different in so many ways. The picture from Charley Project is so old. I am certain that the pic is from when he was much younger. The pic of the UID is very clear and you can see freckles, the shape of his ears, etc. I cannot see any of that in Robert's pic. The only thing that looks similar are the nose and the bottom lip. Other than that, I cannot compare them at all. Maybe someone with better matching skills can see what they can find.

I sent an email to the reporter that wrote the 2004 story about Robert Scott. I'm just hoping to put that theory out of my mind so I can move on to something else. I will let you know what he says.

My experience is mostly with army and airforce, so I called an army friend (specializes in POW searches) yesterday to see if he had any thoughts. He said he would try to get hold of a marine in records who might be able to help.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if this man had any chemical substances in his body at the time? Did he have food in his stomach? Was he taken to a hospital prior to the ME? Seems like the ME should have all this info on file.

For a visual on the subway station I believe he may have been at (or traveling to/from):

IND St Nicholas Ave Line: R46 A Train at 145th St (Uptown Bound) - YouTube

This poor guy- I am really bothered by the fact that he seems to have no one who cares who he was.

I asked the M.E. about alcohol or drugs in his system. I also asked if they thought his death was an accident? murder? or suicide? and if any DNA had been submitted for testing. I emailed on 11/22. I still have not heard back yet. Hopefully tomorrow...

I found this site for the NCIS, but I don't think that helps here. At least we know there are sites like this, however. I didn't see any for other branches of the armed forces.

http://www.ncis.navy.mil/ContactUs/Pages/MissingPersons.aspx

I wonder if we contacted them at this site they would be able to help? It says:
What is NCIS' investigative jurisdiction?
Within the DON, NCIS has primary responsibility for investigating actual, suspected, or alleged major criminal offenses (those punishable by more than one year's confinement). NCIS also has exclusive investigative jurisdiction within the DON for actual, potential, or suspected acts of espionage, terrorism, sabotage, assassination, or defection by naval personnel. NCIS does not investigate purely military offenses -- that is, acts that are criminal offenses under the Uniform Code of Military Justice solely because of the military status of the offender (for example, desertion or UCMJ violations involving consensual sexual activities). NCIS supports Navy and Marine Corps requirements around the globe, with an agent assigned to every aircraft carrier and "big-deck" amphibious vessel that goes to sea. NCIS Special Agents are authorized by law to conduct arrests of military members and civilians alike, both on and off military installations.

I think we should submit anyone we come across that fits this UID profile. I also wonder if the M.E. is looking into this seriously when I email him or if he is so busy, he is hoping I will go away. I hate to say that but someone should have investigated back in 1997 when he was found. I can't figure out why all of those UID men from 1997 were never DNA tested!! That makes me soooo mad!! I am hoping that they were and the NamUs profiles were just never updated. The M.E. never answered me when I asked him the first time about DNA testing, I am hoping he will this time.

I think we should submit anyone we come across that fits this UID profile. I also wonder if the M.E. is looking into this seriously when I email him or if he is so busy, he is hoping I will go away. I hate to say that but someone should have investigated back in 1997 when he was found. I can't figure out why all of those UID men from 1997 were never DNA tested!! That makes me soooo mad!! I am hoping that they were and the NamUs profiles were just never updated. The M.E. never answered me when I asked him the first time about DNA testing, I am hoping he will this time.

I was hoping that the ME was going to be more responsive. I feel like there are so many holes in all of these cases. Simple questions that are unanswered. :banghead:

I was hoping that the ME was going to be more responsive. I feel like there are so many holes in all of these cases. Simple questions that are unanswered. :banghead:

I was too. Why list him as a point of contact if he is unable/unwilling to help?!? Has anyone been able to call the 30th precinct?

I sent an email to the reporter that wrote the 2004 story about Robert Scott. I'm just hoping to put that theory out of my mind so I can move on to something else. I will let you know what he says.

I wonder if someone should email the Brownsville TX Police Department since they were the ones to take the missing persons report? I found an email address... I don't want to send one if someone else already has...?

I wonder if someone should email the Brownsville TX Police Department since they were the ones to take the missing persons report? I found an email address... I don't want to send one if someone else already has...?

I haven't sent one because I couldn't find an email address.

I did send emails to the reporter and the newspaper that did the 2004 article just to see if I could get any details. I haven't heard back from either one.

I also sent an email to The Charlie Project, and they have updated his casefile to reflect that he went missing from Texas and not Florida.

I was too. Why list him as a point of contact if he is unable/unwilling to help?!? Has anyone been able to call the 30th precinct?

I called and left a message at the 30th. Nothing. Will call again at 8am.

I haven't sent one because I couldn't find an email address.

I did send emails to the reporter and the newspaper that did the 2004 article just to see if I could get any details. I haven't heard back from either one.

I also sent an email to The Charlie Project, and they have updated his casefile to reflect that he went missing from Texas and not Florida.

This is what I found...

Carlos L. Garcia, Chief of Police
600 E. Jackson St.
Brownsville, TX 78520

Telephone: 956.548.7050
Web Site: police.cob.us
Email: clgarcia@cob.us

Do you want to send it or should I?

What about Hilary Hayes as a potential match?

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4123/0/

He's like the only other possibility that I have found yet.

-Right age range
-Right eye color
-Somewhat similar in appearance (only 1 photo avail)
-Right height range
-It doesn't say anything about a tatoo but who knows, maybe he didnt have one when he was last seen. It says there is not a lot of info available about this case.
-No DNA, fingerprints, or dentals available. What does that leave us???

What about Hilary Hayes as a potential match?

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4123/0/

He's like the only other possibility that I have found yet.

-Right age range
-Right eye color
-Somewhat similar in appearance (only 1 photo avail)
-Right height range
-It doesn't say anything about a tatoo but who knows, maybe he didnt have one when he was last seen. It says there is not a lot of info available about this case.
-No DNA, fingerprints, or dentals available. What does that leave us???

Yes, I think he could be a good match. I wish we had more info on his disappearance though. He disappeared in 2004, which was 3 years before our UID was found.

Yes, I think he could be a good match. I wish we had more info on his disappearance though. He disappeared in 2004, which was 3 years before our UID was found.

I wish there was more info too. Every profile I've found says thats there is not a lot of info available for this case.

How could he be compared against anyone if there are no dentals, dna, or fingerprints available? Any ideas?

I am going to send an email to the Brownsville, TX Police Department to see if I can get any more info on Robert King Scott. Hopefully they will be willing to help! I will let you know what I find out (if anything).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back