Melissa Huckaby, Suspect- thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
• "She was a loving mother to her ailing child, she taught Bible study at her grandfather's church, and her 5-year-old daughter played a lot with 8-year-old Sandra Cantu and other kids on the block.

Until Saturday, that was the main impression neighbors and family had of 28-year-old Melissa Huckaby."

• ""She must have had a double life, because she seemed sweet and the Bible study kids love her," said Carlos Martinez, who lives in the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park near Huckaby. "This is a total shock."

Huckaby's relatives said they were bewildered at the concept that the churchgoing woman they've seen get down on her knees to play with children and lead them in singing religious songs such as "Deep and Wide" would do what police say she has."

• ""I've never seen her truly scold her daughter," said Cynthia Browning of Manteca (San Joaquin County), Huckaby's great-aunt. "She is soft-spoken. I trust my grandchildren with her. I don't believe she could do this.""

• "Huckaby lives with her grandparents because she suffers from severe allergies and wanted relatives' help to be able to have more time "to take better care of her daughter, who is super-thin and gets sick a lot," Browning said. She was named "class mother" of her daughter's preschool, friends said."

• Legal Problems: "She was convicted in 2006 in Los Angeles County of property theft, and was due in court Friday to be sentenced for a local January felony burglary conviction, according to court records. In 2002, the Sutter Tracy Community Hospital won a $10,000 civil judgment against her for owed bills; she declared bankruptcy the next year."

• "Neighbors said the only thing that struck them as odd about Huckaby was that instead of sending her child over to other kids' houses to play, she always insisted on playmates coming to her house. Huckaby wasn't overly chummy with everyone on the street, they said, but always cordial when approached."

• "Huckaby's only occupation was the Bible study job, relatives said. The Baptist church has a small membership, and Sandra's family said they were not involved with the church."

much more at Suspect in Tracy slaying is churchgoing mom

Huckaby graduated from West High School in 1998 and worked four four years as a checker at a Food for Less grocery store on Tracy Boulevard, just east of the mobile park, until she was fired sometime in 2004, said Matt Duncan, an assistant manager at the store now known as FoodMaxx.
http://www.tracypress.com/pages/ful...idget=push&instance=home_news_lead_story&open

Hi, didn't emmabella say they attended another high school??

There are 2 MH living around that area and the wrong one was shown on the media (CBS i think and others). One is blond one is brunette. i believe the schools were also wrongly stated and that she actually went to Brea.

I hope someone is finding out why MH's 5 year old is so thin and sick a lot.

My bet is...after a lawyer gets hod of MH, we'll hear she heard voices tell her to kill Sandra. Maybe even PPD left over from the birth of her daughter. Whatever....I'm positive we'll see mental illness for the excuse.

Makes me wonder why her daughter was "ailing". Bless her little heart. I have a feeling her child will have a miraculous recovery now that Melissa is in jail.

I wonder if the grandparents ever had any "ailments" that involved being super thin/vomiting, hair loss, etc...

Miss Melissa is starting to sound like a poisoner to me....

"Neighbors said the only thing that struck them as odd about Huckaby was that instead of sending her child over to other kids' houses to play, she always insisted on playmates coming to her house. Huckaby wasn't overly chummy with everyone on the street, they said, but always cordial when approached."
snippet from your post, ibnora... interesting. Why do I think of Lost and "the others" in their little yellow houses when I think of Melissa?

Originally, MH gave a story about leaving her car keys and cell phone in her home, so she sat the suitcase down on the driveway and spent about 15 minutes back inside looking for them. Unable to locate them, she grabbed some spare keys and left for the church, without noticing that she had left the suitcase on the driveway. Her grandmother called her to tell her that the items had been located, and she headed back over to the house to get the suitcase. My question: If she was unable to locate the cell phone, how did her grandmother call her? The church phone? Has this been discussed? TIA!

Deciphering Melissa's fact from fiction might take a long time, I have a feeling that she's one of the gals that "If her lips are moving....she's lying".[/QUOTE]

bold by me

Melissa is a Casey Anthony clone..We can include CA's parents to a slightly lesser degree but the shoe still fits!

I have a feeling we'll never get to the facts with either perp..Hope I'm wrong!
(bold above by me)

I had begun to respond to this post by saying that I disagree, and I suppose that I still do, but not perhaps for the reasons one would expect.

As the details and history of this tragedy unfold it becomes more and more apparent to me that MH is a very ill individual. We now have evidence suggesting that her suicidal ideation goes back to childhood. (WS poster who was childhood companion, see earlier in this thread.) The arrest history and LE and media statements lend support to this image of true mental instability.

I hope I will be forgiven for seeming to perpetuate cultural stereotypes, but I feel that her background of a religious and likely fundamentalist family structure suggests (in my mind at least) that there is a great possibility that these problems have been suppressed and minimized for years. Regardless of the cause, suppression equals exacerbation. Her illness has been fermenting over these years.

I'm not going to indulge in a dreary diversion into the subject of legal versus medical concepts of mental illness, how valid either may be, or whether or not MH was 'in her right mind', 'capable of knowing right from wrong', or any other such distractions.

The woman is clearly very sick.

I'm uncertain if we can truly consider her to be "lying" at any given time. I'm going to complicate this by saying that it doesn't really matter whether she "knows" that she is telling the "truth" or not. None of these concepts are useful in this context.

So I question whether or not she can be considered a KC "clone". Sociopathy is a label that is tossed around with great abandon, and misused nearly as much. Most fundamentally it is a condition describing people who, in their ability to empathize with and consider the needs and welfare of others 'are not like us'. It is not necessarily a criminal or even socially debilitating condition. It has already begun to be applied to MH. I don't believe (yet) that this is appropriate.

I have mostly thought of KC as an example of a sociopath whose inability to constrain herself to socially acceptable behavior led to her downfall and the utterly pointless death of a beautiful child. At this time I see this final tragic ending as the only similarity between the two women. Perhaps I will change my beliefs as our knowledge of the facts progresses, but I think that it is premature to go beyond that now.

maybe she has Munchausen (sp?) by Proxy......

That is an interesting theory. Does anyone recall a Munchausen case that involved the child of someone else? I know there have been nurses who seemed to have Munchausen because they would harm patients in their care, and then be perceived as a hero for "finding them" just in time. Many of these cases came to light because a few of the victims actually died. I don't recall a case of Munchausen by "neighbors", however. Anyone else?

Originally, MH gave a story about leaving her car keys and cell phone in her home, so she sat the suitcase down on the driveway and spent about 15 minutes back inside looking for them. Unable to locate them, she grabbed some spare keys and left for the church, without noticing that she had left the suitcase on the driveway. Her grandmother called her to tell her that the items had been located, and she headed back over to the house to get the suitcase. My question: If she was unable to locate the cell phone, how did her grandmother call her? The church phone? Has this been discussed? TIA!
Yes. We did discuss this on the first thread. If this account is true (which we do not know, but it has been questioned if Connie was even at home), it would mean she had to be inside the church office to receive the phone call and would already have known the suitcase was missing...but she claims the phone call is when she realized it and asked the "family" to go see if it was in the driveway.

Does the church even have a working land phone? Has anyone checked this out yet?

That is an interesting theory. Does anyone recall a Munchausen case that involved the child of someone else? I know there have been nurses who seemed to have Munchausen because they would harm patients in their care, and then be perceived as a hero for "finding them" just in time. Many of these cases came to light because a few of the victims actually died. I don't recall a case of Munchausen by "neighbors", however. Anyone else?
I think Matilda was referring to Melissa's own daughter being "ailing" and not to Sandra.

I think Matilda was referring to Melissa's own daughter being "ailing" and not to Sandra.

Sorry, that makes sense; but what if MH planned on having Sandra "become ill" or "have an accident", and then somehow saving her....only it got out of control, and Sandra died from whatever the "illness" or "accident" was supposed to have been? Oh, and thanks SS for pointing me to where the phone call was discussed. I have been out of town since last Wednesday, and away from my computer! Life is miserable without you guys!!! :blowkiss:

I'm not familiar with the syndrome but what little I do know is that the sufferer does these things in order to gain attention for themselves. Melissa sure enjoyed all the attention from the press didn't she? JMO

Yes. We did discuss this on the first thread. If this account is true (which we do not know, but it has been questioned if Connie was even at home), it would mean she had to be inside the church office to receive the phone call and would already have known the suitcase was missing...but she claims the phone call is when she realized it and asked the "family" to go see if it was in the driveway.

Does the church even have a working land phone? Has anyone checked this out yet?
LE has already said that Melissa made inconsistent statements to the Tracy Press...ones that were different from that which she told LE... so at this point it is like a big circle going round and round and we really don't know squat.

Per the website the church has a phone (they had a phone number)

I may have to go and apologize heavily to Steely Dan about the Munchausens comment I made. ;)

Yes, the whole munchausen theory makes sense to me because it helps to explain a motive, and it fits with what was obviously an attention-seeking personality. MH continued feeling connected and tied to the case by telling everyone and their brother (except for LE) about the missing suitcase, and by leaving those crazy notes. If Sandra's death had been either intentional or accidental, it would seem to make the most sense for MH to stay as far away from the media as possible!

I hope LE can get a copy of MH's 5 year old daughter's medical records.:waitasec:

MBP also fits with the unpaid doctor bills/being sued for 10k in back bills from the Tracy community hospital, and the "overly thinness" of her daughter.

Those things also fit with many other things as well. We simply don't know enough yet. She certainly did come out of the woodwork 12 hours before her arrest and grandstand without batting an eyelash and her demeanor was described as "calm" at times when she was in with police. All of that does not sound normal to me... as to what it could be??? It could be anything... Something had to trigger this action tho... sadly if Sandra was always playing at Melissa's home it might be something that no one was ever a witness to except for the five year old. I wonder if they will question her????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998