2011.03.30- LE is waiting on evidence in crime lab before going to Grand Jury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my understanding that CP is being handled separate, but as you stated that doesn't mean it can't be tied in to HD's case.....it may well be.

The DA doesn't always go to the GJ..for indictment. Most times the evidence found is enough to charge the perp. I think the GJ is brought in if there is good circumstantial evidence...and the forensics will take some time to get back. Maybe they are waiting for the puter expert's findings...and any witnesses the DA may have at this point-- to testify at GJ---he feels aren't strong enough......or wouldn't feel they would be too truthful, Kwim? Tho you would think if the DA had the forensics back and it definitely pointed to SA with CP....there would be no need for the GJ. ??

I just think it is and has been too quite in SA's world since the beginning of this case. Nothing be brought forward or commented on from anyone with the exception of his cousin and a past paramour.

BBM:
Not in Texas... "Texas Constitution of 1876 requires grand jury indictment for prosecution of a felony (see CRIMINAL LAW, ENGLISH LAW). The indictment is termed a "true bill" against a prisoner; a decision not to indict is termed a "no bill."
read more here: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/jlg01

BBM:
Not in Texas... "Texas Constitution of 1876 requires grand jury indictment for prosecution of a felony (see CRIMINAL LAW, ENGLISH LAW). The indictment is termed a "true bill" against a prisoner; a decision not to indict is termed a "no bill."

Thank you, Ransom... I also found this:

A Grand Jury is a panel that decides whether a felony should be indicted or not. The DA’s office can file misdemeanors on their own, however, to file felony charges a grand jury must agree there is probable cause.

http://roselawtx.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/texas-grand-juries.faqs/

BBM:

Thank you, Ransom... I also found this:

A Grand Jury is a panel that decides whether a felony should be indicted or not. The DA’s office can file misdemeanors on their own, however, to file felony charges a grand jury must agree there is probable cause.

http://roselawtx.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/texas-grand-juries.faqs/

TY for the info and correction....I was not aware of that, and it now makes more sense for all the GJ talk. :)

The DA presents the evidence to a GJ and they will decide whether it goes to trial or not. But it depends on which agency handled this part of the investigation... state or federal.
I assume that they are still trying to figure out if the CP is tied into Hailey's case. It may not be, it may be a separate issue entirely.

Right, but the decision to prosecute or not is still made by the DA. The grand jury is one of the checks and balances along the way. In some jurisdictions they have evidenciary hearings in court instead to determine if there is sufficient evidence to proceed to trial. That is not the same thing as the decision to prosecute the case however.

:waiting:Nothing new? It's too quiet here.

Hailey needs to be found. Where are you Hailey?

:waiting:Nothing new? It's too quiet here.

Hailey needs to be found. Where are you Hailey?

I know. I keep hoping for her to be found since two other missing girls have been located this week. What a blessing it would be for her to be found on Easter Sunday.

Wanted to stop by. Hailey you are not forgotten; I pray for your return....and that LE is building the "best case ever".....

SA and BJD, where is Hailey? May no drugs you take erase from your memory what you know or have done......

TY for the info and correction....I was not aware of that, and it now makes more sense for all the GJ talk. :)

You're welcome, I was googling but ransom posted a better link than I had by the time I came back. Glad to be of help!!

Anyway, my guess is, since this *advertiser censored* was found in 3 separate counties and on multiple devices, they may bring this before a federal grand jury, and that is why the delay.

I know folks want to see him behind bars, but I believe they are putting together a good, solid case. JMO.

Right, but the decision to prosecute or not is still made by the DA. The grand jury is one of the checks and balances along the way. In some jurisdictions they have evidenciary hearings in court instead to determine if there is sufficient evidence to proceed to trial. That is not the same thing as the decision to prosecute the case however.

I think I know what you are saying.... the DA does make the decision to prosecute, and then presents the case to the GJ, right? In that you are correct, but the DA can't prosecute a felony unless it goes through the GJ first. They have that choice with misdemeanors, but not a felony.

Sadly, it has been almost...

15 years since JonBenet Ramsey was murdered
6 years since Natalee Holloway vanished
1 year since Kyron Horman disappeared
2 years since Haleigh Cummings and Lindsey Baum vanished
3 years since Skylar and Taylor were murdered
6 months since Hailey Dunn went missing

And those are just the cases who have forums here; think of all the other unsolved cases out there.

Also 19 year old Kayla Croft-Payne has been missing since april 28 2010 from the area of Centralia-Chehalis Wa. the same general region as Nancy Moyer,Lindsey Baum,(the photo in tonights local paper shows a young woman who kinda looks like Lindsey.)The story seems to portray her as unsettled in her living situation.

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=380027

"Basically we are waiting on evidence which was taken up at Dunn to come back from the Dallas computer lab," Mitchell County Sheriff Patrick Toombs told the Colorado City Record.

Law enforcement took computer equipment from a Dunn residence earlier this year. Items seized were shipped to the Dallas FBI lab for testing.

It's been a looooonnnnnggggg wait!!!

Still think of you every day Hailey-Bug!!!!!!!!!!

How long could it possibly take for the lab results to come back?!!!

I guess this should be encouraging, but I don't want to get my hopes up. This entire case has been devastating and utterly frustrating in so many ways.

I guess they didn't exactly put a rush on the results. *sigh*

I'm trying to stay optimistic that an arrest, or more hopefully, arrests, will be made soon. I would love for Hailey to be found before the 6 month anniversary, but the next best thing would be to see Shawn and Billie behind bars.

BD's disgrace is right up there with CA's, imo. I didn't follow CA's case on here, but have watched the trial. For the past two days she has been crying and down trodden.....all I can think about with seeing that is her dancing photos and the expressions on her face then.

I don't think the media or public is ready for the likes of BD & SA if they are ever charged. I want to see no one with a connection in this case make a single cent on dear Hailey's tragedy----nor their faces on the tube ravishing in their 15 mins. Just quietly put them away. JMO

Too bad they waited too long to even attempt to collect forensic evidence for the cars, homes and shoes of possible suspects. The perp had all the time in the world to destroy evidence and clean things up. Now all they have left is "possible" computer evidence. I am not optimistic that anything they find will put the perp or perps behind bars for Hailey's murder.

This crime was totally solveable. We are not dealing with criminal masterminds here.

I am convinced that any hard evidence was gone by the time the Texas Rangers arrived to collect it. Even close-up pics of Shawn's hands, face and upper body would have been very helpful to show presence or absence of scratches. That really is inexcusable.

Unless someone was stupid enough to put directions to the dump site on the computer, I doubt justice will ever be served.

All MOO

How long could it possibly take for the lab results to come back?!!!

They found over 100,000 pictures that include child *advertiser censored* they have to go through. I would imagine that takes a very long time.

They found over 100,000 pictures that include child *advertiser censored* they have to go through. I would imagine that takes a very long time.

I agree that it takes time. What is frustrating is that Toombs said over 2 months ago that it would take about 2 more weeks. At that time, he knew the volume of images and had presumably been working with the Dallas FBI lab in getting a time estimate.

Imo, there are only 3 reasons why no *advertiser censored* charges have been filed:

1. The *advertiser censored* discovered cannot be conclusively proven to include children; could be "barely legal" or those suspected of being under-aged could be masked or their faces could be obscured (hard to tell age if they are developed teens, like Hailey, for example).

2. The *advertiser censored* discovered can be proven to exclude children.

3. There is more than possession suspected and the child *advertiser censored* case is extensive and involves multiple parties that have to be determined and investigated.

Where is Hailey Darlene Dunn?...

I'm not known for my patience and I certainly haven't had any in this case. I wanted arrests the day the cp was found. It's so frustrating to me to see arrests in other cases in the news and know SA is still walking free in the area I live in. I don't want SA and BD to get away with what they've done and I'm starting to worry now that they will. I've seen other cases here where people have gotten away with murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv