NC NC - Officer Davina 'Dee' Jones, 33, Bald Head Island, 22 Oct 1999

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2014/07/12/former-brunswick-co-sheriff-ron-hewett-dies-jail

http://www.amazon.com/Out-With-Thre...+the+Murder+and+betrayal+of+Davina+Buff+Jones

Hewett took some secrets about the murder of Davina Buff Jones to the grave in this case. I will post more later when I have time but wanted to bump the thread up for now

I totally agree with you. I have been researching Davina Jones murder since it happened` and Hewett was only on the murder scene a few minutes when he declared it a suicide. Her body had been dragged close to her truck and gun put by her body prior to discovery. She had discovered major drug smuggling on the island and had been warned to shut the f up and forget about it. She didn't.

Officer Jones unfortunately refused to just shut up about the drug smuggling on Bald Head Island. High government officials in NC were involved. Look at earlier history of this in the '80s. Look up Colcor and Investigation gateway. 34 government officials indicted including Brunswick co. sheriff (not Hewett) Some of these "good Ole boys" are alive and well and still very, very powerful. You will recognize some of their names.

Sheriff Ron Hewett is the one who suggested to DA Rex Gore that it was a suicide and Gore refused to even consider any other alternatives. This case was never investigated, body moved, no forensics taken, body put on gurney without even a sheet to cover it. Three men seen on ferry were not investigated because they were from Charlotte and were good "Christian" men, later on they had criminal records 48 pages long. Davina last said, "Out with three", meaning three men. She had scheduled a meeting at the light house with a DEA agent to discuss what she had discovered about the drug smuggling on Bald Head Island. IMO, she had to be shut up permanently in order not to expose some very high ranking Gov officials.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2014/07/12/former-brunswick-co-sheriff-ron-hewett-dies-jail

http://www.amazon.com/Out-With-Thre...+the+Murder+and+betrayal+of+Davina+Buff+Jones

Hewett took some secrets about the murder of Davina Buff Jones to the grave in this case. I will post more later when I have time but wanted to bump the thread up for now

I was so shocked this afternoon when my best friend called to tell me that Former sheriff Hewett was dead, because she and I had talked for three hours Friday night discussing Hewett and the corruption in Brunswick and Columbus County. I told her that my opinion was that the Feds were pressuring Hewett with the gun charges to squeal and tell what he knew about some very dark things that have happened under his watch. I personally think that the murder of Officer Davina was part of that dark story. He was probably offered a deal on the gun charges if he talked. I told my friend that he probably would not live past the weekend so you can imagine how I felt when she called to tell me that he was dead. Someone, IMO, was determined that he would not talk. Period. I'm sure they will say that he had a heart attack or committed suicide. It's amazing that ex Senator R.C Soles had one of his accusers die of a heart attack in his law office a short time ago. A young man too. Who at one time was going to be a witness against him. A girlfriend of a witness also died in a car accident not long ago too. Soles and the ex sheriff before Hewett was indicted for corruption, drug smuggling, protecting drug trafficers, you name it. Hewett helped with the cover up of Davina's murder, JMO.

lonetraveler, Yes there were drag marks on the sandy road/parking area near her truck, also a bloody hand print on the back of her truck. She is wearing her shoes in the pic of her lying dead in the BHI office but they have since mysteriously disappeared. Mishandled evidence by SBI or BHIPD or BCSO for the cover up IMO.

I was so shocked this afternoon when my best friend called to tell me that Former sheriff Hewett was dead, because she and I had talked for three hours Friday night discussing Hewett and the corruption in Brunswick and Columbus County. I told her that my opinion was that the Feds were pressuring Hewett with the gun charges to squeal and tell what he knew about some very dark things that have happened under his watch. I personally think that the murder of Officer Davina was part of that dark story. He was probably offered a deal on the gun charges if he talked. I told my friend that he probably would not live past the weekend so you can imagine how I felt when she called to tell me that he was dead. Someone, IMO, was determined that he would not talk. Period. I'm sure they will say that he had a heart attack or committed suicide. It's amazing that ex Senator R.C Soles had one of his accusers die of a heart attack in his law office a short time ago. A young man too. Who at one time was going to be a witness against him. A girlfriend of a witness also died in a car accident not long ago too. Soles and the ex sheriff before Hewett was indicted for corruption, drug smuggling, protecting drug trafficers, you name it. Hewett helped with the cover up of Davina's murder, JMO.

I totally agree lonetraveler. I thought the same thing when I heard Hewett was arrested for illegally owning guns. Investigations take a long time as we know but my thoughts immediately had me asking myself if there was a connection to Dee's case. I heard about The guy dying in RC's office but haven't been able to keep up with local happenings as I've been away a lot this past year caring for my elderly mom. I had no idea he was one of 'RC's boys' nor did I know a girlfriend of a witness died in a car accident. :O

Oh yeah, witnesses just seem to be dying left and right. I'm not at all surprised that Ron Hewett died while in custody in the New Hanover County Jail. Actually, I predicted it and expected it. He simply could not be allowed to talk. Some very high ranking officials were at risk if he told what he knew. I'm beginning to be concerned about my own safety at this point since I've been very vocal about what I have discovered during my research of Davina's case.

I know what you mean lonetraveler. I feel somewhat concerned about my safety also. I seriously think Ron Hewett was set up. Somebody had to tell the Feds about his out of state gun purchase! I felt like Hewett just might come clean someday and give up info on Davina's murder. I am sure Gore knows talk.

I used to spend a lot of time at BHI and know for a fact shenanigans occur over there. We were there in 1999 and won the fishing rodeo. We were partying that night with about 20 friends when we ran out of ice. A friend and I saw lights on next door and lots of golf carts so we decided to walk over and ask if they would share some of their ice. We walked into a full blown swingers party with naked people in an indoor pool. The lady who answered the door was rude and said we'd have to show them our *advertiser censored* first, three guys had entered the kitchen and were chiding us and one of the guys, the very tall one, exposed himself to us. We grabbed our cooler and ran out the door and told our group what had happened. Well, low and behold those three guys just walked into the house we were staying in and said they had come to get 'those girls'. The men in our group didn't take kindly to the intrusion and a fight broke out and a table and lamp were broken. We didn't find out til the following day that that party was at the home of the only BHI official who lived there full time and the tall guy who was the ring leader of the three was an EMT. I will always believe he is the same EMT who harassed Davina as later on he was relieved of his job on Oak Island for being rude to females and his arrogance to others when responding to calls. (Out with Three, Pgs. 270 & 271) Oh AND we were held responsible for paying for damages even though the fight was instigated by one of THEIR employees. That night changed my perception of BHI, I can't think of another time in my life when I was so frightened. I went back and fished again the following two years (placed 2nd & 3rd respectively) but it was never the same and I was always afraid of running into this guy so I stopped going.

Here's the latest link. Hewett was tased twice and died of a heart attack. Interesting comments at the end of article and Elaine Buff, author of Out with Three is posting on there.

http://www.wect.com/story/26004023/...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

stay safe friend! wm

I know what you mean lonetraveler. I feel somewhat concerned about my safety also. I seriously think Ron Hewett was set up. Somebody had to tell the Feds about his out of state gun purchase! I felt like Hewett just might come clean someday and give up info on Davina's murder. I am sure Gore knows talk.

I used to spend a lot of time at BHI and know for a fact shenanigans occur over there. We were there in 1999 and won the fishing rodeo. We were partying that night with about 20 friends when we ran out of ice. A friend and I saw lights on next door and lots of golf carts so we decided to walk over and ask if they would share some of their ice. We walked into a full blown swingers party with naked people in an indoor pool. The lady who answered the door was rude and said we'd have to show them our *advertiser censored* first, three guys had entered the kitchen and were chiding us and one of the guys, the very tall one, exposed himself to us. We grabbed our cooler and ran out the door and told our group what had happened. Well, low and behold those three guys just walked into the house we were staying in and said they had come to get 'those girls'. The men in our group didn't take kindly to the intrusion and a fight broke out and a table and lamp were broken. We didn't find out til the following day that that party was at the home of the only BHI official who lived there full time and the tall guy who was the ring leader of the three was an EMT. I will always believe he is the same EMT who harassed Davina as later on he was relieved of his job on Oak Island for being rude to females and his arrogance to others when responding to calls. (Out with Three, Pgs. 270 & 271) Oh AND we were held responsible for paying for damages even though the fight was instigated by one of THEIR employees. That night changed my perception of BHI, I can't think of another time in my life when I was so frightened. I went back and fished again the following two years (placed 2nd & 3rd respectively) but it was never the same and I was always afraid of running into this guy so I stopped going.

Here's the latest link. Hewett was tased twice and died of a heart attack. Interesting comments at the end of article and Elaine Buff, author of Out with Three is posting on there.

http://www.wect.com/story/26004023/...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

stay safe friend! wm
I know you've seen the latest on Hewett. 911 call states that there was a suicide attempt. I mean they really needed to get the plan together; either he was going to have a heart attack or he was going to commit suicide.

Yes lonetraveler, I heard the 911 call. NHC shreriffs dept. finished their investigation and concluded that officers responded accordingly. I look forward to the SBI concluding the investigation and releasing the jail videos. I got the impression RH was being combative. I have so many questions. Why was he being combative? Was he being treated for withdrawal for substance abuse while incarcerated? It became pretty common knowledge that he had alcohol or other substance abuse problems when he was recorded driving through a neighborhood hollering 'It's me, it's me, it's Ronald E." on the loud speaker of his vehicle while on his way to a call several years ago. Many were horrified to hear the descent into madness of this man who was NC's youngest elected sheriff (age 31 iirc) when all those recordings came out.

My daughter interviewed Hewett a few times when she worked for a local talk radio station. ('03-'05) One thing that most stood out to her was how pristine his office was...no papers or anything out of place, and how proud he seemed to be for his accomplishments....the infamous painting of him with rifle over his shoulder, awards, plaques on walls and shelves dusted and shined. Very professional and friendly. It just seems out of character to me for this man, (OCD?) to conduct such a shoddy investigation into Davina's death.
Davina's parents asked him how her death could be ruled suicide and hewett replied that she must have laid down on the ground to do it. My opinion.

I'll try to find those Hewett tapes online. They were on Davina's web page but her page is no longer available. BTW, I mean no disrespect to Davina or the Buff family by discussing Hewett's death here. He was a central part of her case and there are only a handful of us discussing it so I'm not sure it justifies beginning new thread at this time.

moo

What a fascinating case! And what a horrible miscarriage of justice. Bookmarking this for a follow up. This family deserves justice. :(

I'm not seeing any comments, maybe I am missing something???

The death of RH explains why the price of Elaine's book "Out with Three" has gone up on my Amazon wishlist. I was wondering what was going on to make the price go up. The last case I followed to trial here on WS left me a bit shell shocked, so I've been away for a while.

Coming back tonight, I saved Davina's thread for last & I've been reading for hours. Thanks to waltzingmatilda & lonetraveler for the updates! I was very young when Colcor went down, so I caught up on that while reading about RH.

I found this article about Davina that I don't believe we've linked before:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/crime/2...r-mysterious-death-of-cape-fear-police-woman/

Case is just down right shocking is all I can say. I set here in total amazement reading the updates after many months not being on here.

Kind of hope this one case would not end up in the 50+ year ago files. Had my hope's up on this one maybe one we could win but I guess time will tell.

Legally I bet it really is a nightmare case, because I bet they got hardly any crime scene work at all done on this case. It was all washed way by a fire hose years ago for a wedding I guess they thought was more important than murder. Very bad idea I feel.
They could of block the area off & put up privacy curtains so it be out of view of the public at least if they worried about the public.

I can't keep from feeling sorry for the poor girl. They treated her more like a fish they caught out of the river or ocean than a human. So sad in these days & times. 100-150 years ago I would not be so surprised but not now in these days & times. This never should of happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back