MTR Discussions

Rafferty could indeed be a maiden name, Maxfactor, though not likely, I don't think that was very common 30 years ago, to do that. JMO

Good thinking, though, think outside the box.

That leaves the question, how are the names Cundy and Murphy related here?

I was thinking that if that was her maiden name and she wasn't married when she had MR perhaps she gave him her name.

Where did the bolded names come from? I must have missed this.

You know I was just thinking about this JR thing. If he is MR's Father and has "ditched" him, I wouldn't feel very bad for this man. His family, I would. Seems like too big a coincidence to not have some sort of a tie. I was just wondering if DM's maiden name is R. Perhaps JR is her brother even. That could still account for them visiting him in the Yukon.

If JR's biological father did indeed "ditch" him then shame on him. How difficult for a little boy to be raised not knowing who his father is. Any child in that circumstance would feel displaced, especially if his mother's new husband treats him differently than his two younger brothers.

A very good friend of mine had exactly this situation. She had a child at 17 that she kept with her father's assistance. The child had her maiden name. She met and married her husband. He was okay with the boy until the son they had together was born, after which time he treated the oldest son very badly. My friend was devastated, and then made the biggest mistake of her life. In order to have peace, she left her son with her dad more and more, until finally the boy started school, and lived full-time with his grandfather. The boy came to "visit" his mother at her home, where he saw his mother with her "new" son. Miraculously, the older boy did not suffer any long-term damage because his grandfather provided him with wonderful love and care, and is not resentful of either his mother or his younger brother. My friend says that if she had it to do over again, she would have left her husband and raised both her boys herself.

I have a feeling that MR's situation may be similar, and that he was shuffled from pillar to post growing up - perhaps to grandma for a while, back home for a bit, and back to other family when he "acted up".

Or, in the alternative, is it possible that at some point MR was himself in foster care? That wouldn't preclude him having visits with his mother or his grandmother. That would explain his moving around while he was younger and re-connecting with his mother who had, by then divorced her husband and was living with a new guy.

If JR's biological father did indeed "ditch" him then shame on him. How difficult for a little boy to be raised not knowing who his father is. Any child in that circumstance would feel displaced, especially if his mother's new husband treats him differently than his two younger brothers.

A very good friend of mine had exactly this situation. She had a child at 17 that she kept with her father's assistance. The child had her maiden name. She met and married her husband. He was okay with the boy until the son they had together was born, after which time he treated the oldest son very badly. My friend was devastated, and then made the biggest mistake of her life. In order to have peace, she left her son with her dad more and more, until finally the boy started school, and lived full-time with his grandfather. The boy came to "visit" his mother at her home, where he saw his mother with her "new" son. Miraculously, the older boy did not suffer any long-term damage because his grandfather provided him with wonderful love and care, and is not resentful of either his mother or his younger brother. My friend says that if she had it to do over again, she would have left her husband and raised both her boys herself.

I have a feeling that MR's situation may be similar, and that he was shuffled from pillar to post growing up - perhaps to grandma for a while, back home for a bit, and back to other family when he "acted up".

Or, in the alternative, is it possible that at some point MR was himself in foster care? That wouldn't preclude him having visits with his mother or his grandmother. That would explain his moving around while he was younger and re-connecting with his mother who had, by then divorced her husband and was living with a new guy.

Ciào, Cha! So nice to have you back!

I agree that all of your suggestions are feasible. The one thing that doesn't make sense is the Yukon. It's much too far away for him to have been for either foster care or Nanna, considering she was in several of his photos (unless she moved back to Ontario). And wasn't that when he was really young? Such a puzzle, MTR's early life. Surely some of this will come out at his trial.

Interesting story about your friend and encouraging to read that it had a happy ending.

Yep, this is all possible. We do know that MTR has no criminal record as an adult.

"Court documents show Rafferty does not have a criminal record."

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/V...aid+over+missing+year+girl/1613400/story.html

If he had committed any crimes as a juvenile, those records would be sealed and inadmissible as evidence during his future trial. The same goes for TLM. I am not sure what's permissible once the trials are over and if they are found guilty.

Not true. Once charged as an adult, the courts may choose to allow the crown to provide evidence of past criminal patterns. If TLM has a history of abusing young children this would be extremely relevent to the case and would most likely be admissable. The sealing of records is a privledge granted to those who remain on the right side of the law. Once charged you may forfit your privledge of having a sealed file.

(Respectfully snipped and BBM)

The only info about MTR's father came from Nurse_Sleuth:

"I dont think his father had much to do with him ever, and to my knowledge his mom never married his father."

MTR Discussions - Page 4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Unless it has some bearing on his guilt or innocence, I don't see why MTR's paternity has to come up at the trial at all. Why would it? Certainly his father's presence, or lack of it, in his life could never be used as a defense. I'd be interested in how it could be used by the prosecution, but even so, I don't see why his father would have to be identified.

IMO, it's quite possible we will never learn who MTR's biological father is and I have forgotten what its relevance is supposed to be. Can someone remind me, please?

Respectfully AG, I agree that the paternity and maternity of both of the accused may not bear directly on the trial and defence, but I'm particularly interested in the behavioural aspect of these types of crimes and always have been--particularly the 'nature versus nurture' debate that continues to be universally discussed in academic, legal and law enforcement communities. (And on forums such as WS which, as I understand, is dedicated to the victims of crime.) I think human beings have always sought answers to this question--especially in horrific cases involving violent crimes and crimes against children. And especially when--Ted Bundy-like--the perpetrators appear normal.

Friends of TLM from Mac Tier suggest she was 'made a monster' by the system or by society. I'm not sure I believe that but I certainly have to question why, if TLM was in and out of juvie all her life as a young offender with a record of hurting children she was ever allowed to be released on parole and become involved with such a disgusting and vile crime.
If the system is doing such a good job reforming young offenders then what went wrong with TLM? So this becomes just one of many poltical questions for me. This will have an effect on how I vote.

In MTR's case, we have even less information about his all-important formative years. I would not like to see anyone's reputation ruined for the mere accident of sharing the same surname and having allegedly shared some of the (alleged) same stomping grounds as MTR. On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with questioning MTR's paternity and I think, it would be negligent to not do so. JR is a public figure and as such he's held to higher accountablility and regard and higher scrutiny than others. This is the big risk that politicians take. So it is legal for Jane Public to question whether or not he is MTR's father. Which begs the question that if he is not MTR's father, why hasn't he answered this question which I very respectfully and rightfully asked him directly via his constituency office??? Because he has not answered, this too, will have an effect on how I vote.

I'm intrigued by the legal aspects of this case and I will follow the trial quite closely but I hope we can also discuss other elements such as both of the accused's formative years; criminal psychological profiling; forensics, politics and anything else that might bring this little child some justice--notwithstanding distasteful, unsavoury elements that some might find offensive when placed in the public domain.

Ever so respectfully snipped....

I would not like to see anyone's reputation ruined for the mere accident of sharing the same surname and having allegedly shared some of the (alleged) same stomping grounds as MTR.

You know what Guelphite? I agree with you 100%! Well said!

Respectfully AG, I agree that the paternity and maternity of both of the accused may not bear directly on the trial and defence, but I'm particularly interested in the behavioural aspect of these types of crimes and always have been--particularly the 'nature versus nurture' debate that continues to be universally discussed in academic, legal and law enforcement communities. (And on forums such as WS which, as I understand, is dedicated to the victims of crime.) I think human beings have always sought answers to this question--especially in horrific cases involving violent crimes and crimes against children. And especially when--Ted Bundy-like--the perpetrators appear normal.

Friends of TLM from Mac Tier suggest she was 'made a monster' by the system or by society. I'm not sure I believe that but I certainly have to question why, if TLM was in and out of juvie all her life as a young offender with a record of hurting children she was ever allowed to be released on parole and become involved with such a disgusting and vile crime.
If the system is doing such a good job reforming young offenders then what went wrong with TLM? So this becomes just one of many poltical questions for me. This will have an effect on how I vote.

In MTR's case, we have even less information about his all-important formative years. I would not like to see anyone's reputation ruined for the mere accident of sharing the same surname and having allegedly shared some of the (alleged) same stomping grounds as MTR. On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with questioning MTR's paternity and I think, it would be negligent to not do so. JR is a public figure and as such he's held to higher accountablility and regard and higher scrutiny than others. This is the big risk that politicians take. So it is legal for Jane Public to question whether or not he is MTR's father. Which begs the question that if he is not MTR's father, why hasn't he answered this question which I very respectfully and rightfully asked him directly via his constituency office??? Because he has not answered, this too, will have an effect on how I vote.

I'm intrigued by the legal aspects of this case and I will follow the trial quite closely but I hope we can also discuss other elements such as both of the accused's formative years; criminal psychological profiling; forensics, politics and anything else that might bring this little child some justice--notwithstanding distasteful, unsavoury elements that some might find offensive when placed in the public domain.

Guelphite, thank you for this eloquent and thoughtful post. I agree with everything you wrote. Please read again to what this is responding to. My first point was that I didn't think the paternity issue would necessarily be brought to light at the trial, as it cannot be used in his defense. If the Crown can find a way to make it relevant to his guilt, perhaps they will, but how and why is the question.

In my last point, I was not questioning the ethics or validity of trying to find out MTR's paternity; I just couldn't remember the reason and asked to be reminded. I never said that there was anything "wrong" with it.

I do, personally, find it a bit distasteful to try to link an accused murderer to a well-known politician based on a couple of flimsy clues, but realise that this is part of sleuthing. I find it interesting that JR hasn't replied to your question, but can also understand why he would want to distance himself from this crime, even if he were not MTR's father. What if he had denied it? Would he then be believed? How would he be required to prove it? And to whom? You? And suppose it's true, did you really expect him to admit it to you before it came out officially? Just asking here.

I am as interested in MTR's background as anyone else here. The psychological aspects of this case are intriguing. I'd love to know where and how he spent his early years and why. Like the rest of you, I'm trying to find anything at all that would explain how this horrible crime came to be. I have never discounted the "sociopath" theory for MTR. But this particular "clue", IMO, is clutching at straws. Rafferty is not an unusual name. If MTR's and this politician's names were both say, "Snickersbottom", then I'd say we had a major clue and let's run with it. I would just prefer something more concrete than a common name and one or two possible common areas of residence.

I don't discount that MTR may have had a troubled childhood, that he may have had psychological problems, or that he may even have a juvenile record. But why have no childhood or teenaged acquaintances ever surfaced to suggest this? Many have in TLM's case. Since MTR moved around so much, he would have been known by classmates and neighbours, if not friends. I would think that at least one person would claim to have knowledge of a foster home, an "incident", or a juvie detention centre association. It wouldn't have to be an old friend, it could be anyone even barely associated with him, but we've heard nothing at all. The lack of a single rumour gives me reasonable doubt.

IF even one claimant were to surface with credible knowledge about MTR's childhood that sounded suspicious, I'd definitely re-think my position. If there were even one piece of verification that he had committed a previous crime or been in trouble, I'd certainly give it credence. But as it stands now, aside from his peripatetic childhood and questionable reports by ex-girlfriends, I don't feel we have anything concrete.

As for following the trial closely - I wish! Unfortunately, I think there will be a media ban on the proceedings and we will not learn anything until after it's all over.

JMO

Not true. Once charged as an adult, the courts may choose to allow the crown to provide evidence of past criminal patterns. If TLM has a history of abusing young children this would be extremely relevent to the case and would most likely be admissable. The sealing of records is a privledge granted to those who remain on the right side of the law. Once charged you may forfit your privledge of having a sealed file.

I didn't know this and stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification. :)

What I've been able to find is that previous crimes must be relevant to the current charges. For instance, if TLM did indeed stab a young girl, this could be ruled relevant. However, if she had been arrested for shoplifting or truancy, this could not be used in a murder trial. If I'm not mistaken, any evidence presented at trial is up to the discretion of the judge.

MOO

Thanks for the excellent answer AG. I absolutely didn't expect a response from JR but was still willing to risk asking for the sake of Victoria Stafford. The question was put to him in such away that he would understand my intention wasn't political mud-slinging and that I had a sincere desire to understand the crime and give him a very general kind of heads-up/alert.

I would not be a politician for the world; it's not a position I envy but the father figure or lack thereof in MTR's life does interest me enough to have asked.

Thanks for the excellent answer AG. I absolutely didn't expect a response from JR but was still willing to risk asking for the sake of Victoria Stafford. The question was put to him in such away that he would understand my intention wasn't political mud-slinging and that I had a sincere desire to understand the crime and give him a very general kind of heads-up/alert.

I would not be a politician for the world; it's not a position I envy but the father figure or lack thereof in MTR's life does interest me enough to have asked.

If someone had to contact JR about this, I'm glad it was you, as I imagine that your question was sensitively worded. Still, whether or not he is MTR's biological father, can you just imagine his reaction to reading this e-mail (I presume it was an e-mail)? It must have been quite a shock for him, especially if hadn't heard of the case. Did you happen to mention WS at all? Please let us know if you ever do get a response.

AG, No I did not mention WS at all and would never do anything to hurt the reputation of WS. It was only mentioned in a general way that "the question" was being discussed.

And yes, if he is not the father then he may have been shocked but unfortunately that's the cut-throat nature of politics of which he's a veteran. These folks go into it with their eyes wide open and sacrifice a fair bit of privacy in doing so. I think it's better a nobody like me tips him off than the opposition.

BH, I was interested in finding him too for some of the reasons you have mentioned - especially who is paying if the lawyer is not legal aid appointed or doing it for free. I also have stated on the regular thread that I do not think MR's mom could possibly be paying his legal fees either.

I have been super critical of all of the main players in this case with the exception of TS's grand parents. And although RS is doing a wonderful thing right now I feel he is playing catch up for his own sake, albeit for a wonderful cause however, I believe that there is way more to being a Dad then weeping real tears when tragedy strikes. I also believe that the type of relationship you have with your father, good, bad or indifferent plays a role in shaping your character and this intrigued me enough to try to help "sleuth" this man out. JMO

But when the pictures of JR's children were posted it was the first time, aside from my feelings for little TS, I have felt an iota of compassion for any of the people possibly associated with this case. Looking at their pictures I actually felt badly for them if it were true that MR turns out to be their step-brother.

Don't get me wrong, no one would mistake me for a "bleedingheart" ever but this particular item hit me hard. I never meant to criticize- just wanted to clear that up with you. TC
Yes, Nonfictionrocks, this will be horrible if this is his father. Iam hoping it is not.
I have no intentions of hurting anyone on here with my sleuthing, even though I sometimes have thrown out a harsh comment once in a while, at the players I feel very strongly about. I do not believe M.R. mother nor C.M knew anything about what their children did until they were arrested .I do thank the good Lord I wasn't one of them, I would not have survived, I swear.
Therefore I have a little bit of compassion for those mothers, and I try not to bash either one of them. The lifestyle of CM did nothing to enhance TLM and her growing up, thats for sure, but TLM I am sure did know right from wrong, as most people do with a conscience.
CM is very ill and I am sure she is reviewing her wild life as her days are numbered because of her illness.I would not think she is enjoying her reflexions too much now.
As for the politician, I am not going to persue that, I would not want to think I hurt those lovely children of his in any way, they look like they will be successful people when they reach adulthood. I will forget my thoughts and nosiness about the legal fees,and wait to see if they do indeed find out in the future who M.R.'s father is.So Be It!!for me.

I was thinking that if that was her maiden name and she wasn't married when she had MR perhaps she gave him her name.

Where did the bolded names come from? I must have missed this.

Well, that's what I was wondering, Maxfactor.

Cundy is one brother's last name.

Murphy is at least his mother's current last name, and possibly another brother.

Here are a few things that I noted when trying to find out information about MR's background.

I believe his mother's current last name is Murray not Murphy. An early Globe and Mail article also states that MR is the youngest of her three sons. If this information is correct, then the stepbrothers are from a relationship that his mother had.

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090521.TORIRAFFERTY21ART2250/TPStory/

One of his stepbrothers, J. Cundy, was quoted in an article when he was outside the courthouse during an early court appearance. He appears to be listed on classmates as having attended Alexander MacKenzie H.S. (1993 - 1999) and Langstaff Secondary H.S. (1993 - 1997), both in Richmond Hill. He is also listed as having graduated from Penetanguishene H.S. in 2000? He now lives in and operates a cafe in Midland. Now while the dates are slightly off considering their ages, I know a lot of people put dates in to the classmates website that they want to get in contact with people from. If they knew older or younger people in high school, they will put wider ranging dates to contact these people.

So if the stepbrothers are from a relationship that his mother had, then she must have lived in Richmond Hill at some point?

We also have the information from the WS poster who went to elementary school with him in Drayton who said that he said he was staying with relatives because his "parents" were going through a difficult time. If he had no contact with his father from an early age, could he have been referring to his mother and a stepfather when saying parents? He apparently moved to Richmond Hill sometime after staying with these relatives but did come back to the Drayton area at some point during high school according to that poster. I would hazard a guess that it is "Nan" who lived in Drayton and took him in but it's just a guess.

Here are a few things that I noted when trying to find out information about MR's background.

I believe his mother's current last name is Murray not Murphy. An early Globe and Mail article also states that MR is the youngest of her three sons. If this information is correct, then the stepbrothers are from a relationship that his mother had.

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090521.TORIRAFFERTY21ART2250/TPStory/

One of his stepbrothers, J. Cundy, was quoted in an article when he was outside the courthouse during an early court appearance. He appears to be listed on classmates as having attended Alexander MacKenzie H.S. (1993 - 1999) and Langstaff Secondary H.S. (1993 - 1997), both in Richmond Hill. He is also listed as having graduated from Penetanguishene H.S. in 2000? He now lives in and operates a cafe in Midland. Now while the dates are slightly off considering their ages, I know a lot of people put dates in to the classmates website that they want to get in contact with people from. If they knew older or younger people in high school, they will put wider ranging dates to contact these people.

So if the stepbrothers are from a relationship that his mother had, then she must have lived in Richmond Hill at some point?

We also have the information from the WS poster who went to elementary school with him in Drayton who said that he said he was staying with relatives because his "parents" were going through a difficult time. If he had no contact with his father from an early age, could he have been referring to his mother and a stepfather when saying parents? He apparently moved to Richmond Hill sometime after staying with these relatives but did come back to the Drayton area at some point during high school according to that poster. I would hazard a guess that it is "Nan" who lived in Drayton and took him in but it's just a guess.

Great sleuthing, Kamille! Does anyone know if MTR's brothers are half or step? Also, is it definite that they both have different surnames?

I think it's also possible that these brothers were staying with their father in Richmond Hill and that MTR may have stayed there, as well, for the short time he went to that high school. By the time they were in high school, DM would have already been working at the same place and that's a very long commute.

There's been speculation as to who is paying for MTR's legal representation IF it's not pro bono. I'd like to suggest that his beloved "Nanna" may have re-mortgaged her house to help out her grandson. This is just a guess, but I think a feasible one. MOO

Can someone please remind me (and preferably provide a link) of the name of DM's employer. TIA

FWIW, I have learned that neither DM or CM are occupying their former Woodstock homes any longer, although CM has been spotted shopping in town within the past couple of weeks.

I'm just guessing that these are stepbrothers considering that they are older than MR. If they are not, DM already had two children with another man before MR was born. I'm also guessing that the two brothers are related to each other but I suppose it's possible that they are not either.

According to newspaper reports, DM worked for Saint-Gobain Abrasives in Plattsville.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/story.html?id=1613763

Sorry folks, I can't figure out how to fix Kamille's broken quote here, Kamille's snipped quote in blue:

Kamille: According to 411.ca, D Murphy lived (lives) at 70 Tennyson St., in Woodstock. I think the Globe and Mail had this incorrect. I was just reviewing that article last night, reviewing some statements that Dave Riddell made.

http://www.411.ca/whitepages/ON/Woodstock/Murphy-D/8413003.html

MTR listed in a few places that he had 2 older brothers. They may be half or step brothers, he called them "very successful".

Wendell also said that his mom hadn't allowed his "brothers" in to see MTR in jail, as she was worried about the questions they would ask him.

The 2 brothers (if they are that?)definitely look very, very similar. MOO

It's a real shame the number of people displaced over this crime, it has affected many, many lives in so many ways. :-(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back