NAMUS posts new image

Somewhere, buried in one of these threads about Jason, there is a comment from LE where they believe that Jason's family contacted them, apparently these folks asked specific questions that haven't/hadn't been released.

I'm going to go back and see if I can find the actual qoute.

Mel

Found it. Main thread #1 post # 203

Posted by:
marylandmissing
Registered User Join Date: Dec 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb
<Spoke w/ a ME once who told me that shortly after this death, they received a call they believe may have been the family of this boy.>

<so, what did they say? were they able to confirm anything from this?>

When this first happened, some physical characteristics weren't released to the public, as there was no need to initially. After the first media release occurred, they received a call from someone inquiring if the young man had these characteristics...

If his family called the ME, then why did they never call back and retrieve him and have a memorial?

By any remote chance, is anyone here a member at Oxford Ancestors? (I think you would have had to have your genealogy DNA test done through them to be a member.)

They used to have their boards public a few years ago, but now you need to be a member to see them. That is where people compare their results to see if they are related somewhere down the line.

I noticed we've been given a gift on the Grateful Dead John Doe....his DNA!

LOCUS:
D8S1179: 13,13
D21S11: 30, 32.2
TH01: 9, 9.3
D13S317: 12, 13
D19S433: 14, 14
VWA: 14, 16
TPOX: 8,8
D18S51: 18, 19
D5S818: 12, 12
FGA: 22, 24

The fact we know 10 loci is awesome. From what I've been able to tell so far (and this won't be a shock), his profile is the profile of someone who is pretty much as Caucasian as they come. I found a site that listed the frequency of different alleles among Scottish populations and his markers are among those found the most frequently in Scottish populations. That doesn't mean that he is Scottish. Since I was able to find some countries (Portugal for example, where he didn't match as well), but not others, for all I know he could be a better match to Irish, English, German, etc., etc. And even that isn't 100%, because these are frequencies and Caucasian ethnic groups have intermingled for so many years that there is a great deal of variation among people of the same ethnicity. Still, it was interesting because Virginia and its neighbors have a greater share of people with Scottish ancestry than the rest of the country. Many, many Scottish settled in that area of the U.S.

My curiosity is piqued by the fact that at 4 of the 10 loci he has the same number from mother and father. I don't know that that is very common today. I wonder if there is someone we can ask who would know better than I how common that is. I wondered if it might indicate that he is from a very small town (maybe along Appalachia somewhere, or Pennsylvania Dutch country) where there would have been less genetic variance. Just a thought.

By any remote chance, is anyone here a member at Oxford Ancestors? (I think you would have had to have your genealogy DNA test done through them to be a member.)

They used to have their boards public a few years ago, but now you need to be a member to see them. That is where people compare their results to see if they are related somewhere down the line.

I noticed we've been given a gift on the Grateful Dead John Doe....his DNA!

LOCUS:
D8S1179: 13,13
D21S11: 30, 32.2
TH01: 9, 9.3
D13S317: 12, 13
D19S433: 14, 14
VWA: 14, 16
TPOX: 8,8
D18S51: 18, 19
D5S818: 12, 12
FGA: 22, 24

The fact we know 10 loci is awesome. From what I've been able to tell so far (and this won't be a shock), his profile is the profile of someone who is pretty much as Caucasian as they come. I found a site that listed the frequency of different alleles among Scottish populations and his markers are among those found the most frequently in Scottish populations. That doesn't mean that he is Scottish. Since I was able to find some countries (Portugal for example, where he didn't match as well), but not others, for all I know he could be a better match to Irish, English, German, etc., etc. And even that isn't 100%, because these are frequencies and Caucasian ethnic groups have intermingled for so many years that there is a great deal of variation among people of the same ethnicity. Still, it was interesting because Virginia and its neighbors have a greater share of people with Scottish ancestry than the rest of the country. Many, many Scottish settled in that area of the U.S.

My curiosity is piqued by the fact that at 4 of the 10 loci he has the same number from mother and father. I don't know that that is very common today. I wonder if there is someone we can ask who would know better than I how common that is. I wondered if it might indicate that he is from a very small town (maybe along Appalachia somewhere, or Pennsylvania Dutch country) where there would have been less genetic variance. Just a thought.

Alternatively, I wonder if Oxford Ancestors would be interested in helping us with this....maybe they could check their message boards for us, and see if there is anyone there with similar results who might be interested in speaking with us. If it helped solve the case, that would be a cool bit of publicity for them, no???

Wow. I've been away from this forum for awhile and hadn't seen the updated composite. What a difference! Too bad this wasn't the image that was circulating 17 years ago, it does seem much more lifelike and is probably more accurate to how Jason appeared in life.

Side note, I'm a bit perplexed after viewing the list of people who were ruled out as being Jason on Namus. Lots of these men were born in the 1950's and one even in the 1940's. Yet Jason's age is listed as being a maximum of 21 years when he died in 1995. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to think outside the box, just found it a bit surprising that so many were outside the age range by so many years.

No, you're not crazy, I thought about that too. It doesn't have sharp edges all around.

well curiosity got the best of me once someone noticed and then I also seen the triangle in the heart, I googled the question of the meaning of this and this is one of the explanations I found:

A religious symbol
The symbol is called "The Golden Heart", which is also the name of the religious school operated by a Dutch couple, Nenno de Zoete & Maud Viveen.
there is an explanation of the symbol at the group's home page; the pieces of the symbol represent various aspects of God and Man, and oneness with the rest of creation.The religion appears to be highly syncretic, combining aspects of Christianity with some Buddhist-style meditational schools. ALSO:
The Heartagram was originally created as a logo by the self described "Love Metal" band HIM. It combines a heart with a pentagram, and according to band members, represents the juxtaposition of love and hate/anger, or life and death. The symbol is sported as a tattoo by many HIM fans, including professional skater and "Jackass" stuntman Bam Margera.

Note: A similar-looking symbol, with heart and triangle interlaced, is sometimes worn as a decorative embellishment of the Star of David.
not sure if this is very helpful, because it could mean so much.....
if you google: the meaning of a tattoo that is a heart with a triangle in it, you will see almost an identical tattoo that he has....

those new pics are great. interesting that his shoes look so worn. i spent the better part of my last few slow work days reading jason's threads and it seems like folks though his shoes were newer. these definitely look old... and black, not blue

well curiosity got the best of me once someone noticed and then I also seen the triangle in the heart, I googled the question of the meaning of this and this is one of the explanations I found:

----snip---

i also looked into the HIM connection, thinking jason doe might be from finland. but, HIM was a very small band when the accident happened. he would've had to have been a VERY early fan. in fact, the logo would have been first created the year jason died.

those new pics are great. interesting that his shoes look so worn. i spent the better part of my last few slow work days reading jason's threads and it seems like folks though his shoes were newer. these definitely look old... and black, not blue

i know reports were that the shoes were new and in the photos they look warn. i wonder if they *were* new but were burned badly?

I was wondering about this school: The symbol is called "The Golden Heart", which is also the name of the religious school operated by a Dutch couple, Nenno de Zoete & Maud Viveen. I googled Zoete and Maud and they were some kind of spiritualists that ran this school??? just an idea....if he was maybe a member?....I guess I am just randomly thinking out of the box....

i tried to look this school up and didnt have much luck. i can't click on too many things at work, just in case... does this seem like something jason could realistically have been in?

i saw a suggestion at one point that maybe no one was looking for him because he was amish/ pennsylvania dutch, and was on his pilgrimage and his family assumed he abandoned their ways. would that tie with this school at all?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back