MA - Rehma Sabir, dies of head trauma on her 1st birthday, Cambridge, 14 Jan 2013

MsFacetious

What a Kerfuffle...
Reaction score
History of restraining orders and assault complaints here:

Two days before the baby’s death, four separate loud noise complaints were made.

“I wouldn’t leave her watching my dog for an hour,” said neighbor Tom Collins who filed the noise complaints.
“She’d just go off the hinges from like zero to sixty in like two seconds.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/nanny-charged-in-connection-with-death-of-cambridge-infant/

http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridg...ge-case-has-history-of-violence#axzz2Il9ys000

Nanny pleads not guilty to assaulting 1-year-old who later died

Brady allegedly attacked Rehma Sabir of Cambridge, who was in her care, on the baby’s first birthday early last week.
The baby died two days later.

-----------------

According to prosecutors, the baby suffered “massive brain swelling’’ as a result of being assaulted by Brady on Jan. 14.
The child was rushed to Children’s Hospital Boston, where she was pronounced dead Jan. 16.

While an autopsy is still pending, Folger said doctors have already found evidence that the child had an existing fracture in her left arm and leg and that there were significant signs of prior injuries.

----------------

Thompson said Brady was so close to the family that she spent hours with them while the child was being cared for at the hospital.
And when Brady was not at the hospital, the child’s family texted updates to her, Thompson said.

“She was mourning this child with the family,’’ Thompson said.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...ld-her-care/Qkf9gLQXUJ6TqkGIFfs2iI/story.html

I would love to hear the parents take on this now that she's been arrested.
Are they defending her or do they believe she did it?
Obviously, there are medical issues that can cause these injuries... I wonder if those have been looked for yet?

I thought maybe Louise Woodward was back in the States.

Very sad:(

How did her criminal restraining order past get by everyone? Not to mention her expired visa? This lady was living on the edge-she liked to kick the crap out of people, was arrested several times yet she was never popped for her out of date visa.

And now she murdered a baby-please God let the judges in the state of MA get this one right. No repeat of little Matthew Eappen.

History of restraining orders and assault complaints here:

Two days before the baby’s death, four separate loud noise complaints were made.

“I wouldn’t leave her watching my dog for an hour,” said neighbor Tom Collins who filed the noise complaints.
“She’d just go off the hinges from like zero to sixty in like two seconds.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/nanny-charged-in-connection-with-death-of-cambridge-infant/

http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridg...ge-case-has-history-of-violence#axzz2Il9ys000

Nanny pleads not guilty to assaulting 1-year-old who later died

Brady allegedly attacked Rehma Sabir of Cambridge, who was in her care, on the baby’s first birthday early last week.
The baby died two days later.

-----------------

According to prosecutors, the baby suffered “massive brain swelling’’ as a result of being assaulted by Brady on Jan. 14.
The child was rushed to Children’s Hospital Boston, where she was pronounced dead Jan. 16.

While an autopsy is still pending, Folger said doctors have already found evidence that the child had an existing fracture in her left arm and leg and that there were significant signs of prior injuries.

----------------

Thompson said Brady was so close to the family that she spent hours with them while the child was being cared for at the hospital.
And when Brady was not at the hospital, the child’s family texted updates to her, Thompson said.

“She was mourning this child with the family,’’ Thompson said.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...ld-her-care/Qkf9gLQXUJ6TqkGIFfs2iI/story.html

I would love to hear the parents take on this now that she's been arrested.
Are they defending her or do they believe she did it?
Obviously, there are medical issues that can cause these injuries... I wonder if those have been looked for yet?

Oh, I'd be such a bad juror. the neighbor's comments and her criminal arrest background are enough for me.

However, how could a baby suffer a broken leg or arm and not cry forever and ever? How could the parents not have noticed something was wrong with their child?

This is why we need to deport all illegals immigrants ! IF they want to be here ...COME LEGALLY like all our Ancestors did! The Government should protect the rights of our own citizens FIRST! Australia has the right idea! If they do not need your skills and you will not be an asset to their Country,they do not let you move there! We have enough criminals we really do not need other Countries misfits.They are law breakers from the moment they step on our soil if not done LEGALLY!

Reactions: abr
This is why we need to deport all illegals immigrants ! IF they want to be here ...COME LEGALLY like all our Ancestors did! The Government should protect the rights of our own citizens FIRST! Australia has the right idea! If they do not need your skills and you will not be an asset to their Country,they do not let you move there! We have enough criminals we really do not need other Countries misfits.They are law breakers from the moment they step on our soil if not done LEGALLY!

One case of an illegal immigrant killing a child on WS...And they all must be deported. Many cases every day of white American men killing children...Yet no problems with them?

One case of an illegal immigrant killing a child on WS...And they all must be deported. Many cases every day of white American men killing children...Yet no problems with them?

Is there any particular reason "illegal immigrants" should not be deported?

Well, because maybe they could eventually find their way to legality, fight in a war, become a disabled vet, yet raise a big family of good citizens, and work until they're 75 or so.

That's what my grandfather, who just died did. Not sure what would have happened had his family been deported. I might not be here to type this post (many of you would probably be glad of that, I'm sure ;) )

"illegal" to me means only that someone is desperate, probably poor enough so that coming legally is out of their reach. Failing to jump through bureaucratic hoops, forms, and fees doesn't make someone a bad person unworthy of citizenship. it just means they're poor and/or desperate for a new start.

Oh, I'd be such a bad juror. the neighbor's comments and her criminal arrest background are enough for me.

However, how could a baby suffer a broken leg or arm and not cry forever and ever? How could the parents not have noticed something was wrong with their child?

I read an op ed by a nurse at Children's Hospital after Woodward was allowed to return to England. She actually cared for Matthew Eappen. She said, iirc, that children that young have a kind of coping that is hard to understand-it is kind of like the pain they tolerate when they are teething. If we teethed as an adult we would be hospitalized. When pain is part of your world that young, you live with it. Babies are so elastic in that way.

The baby in this case was likely fussy and clearly traumatized when the bones were broken, but eventually they just sooth themselves and go to sleep.

I cant stand it. I really cant-I hate these stories with a passion. I feel like a lion.

FWIW, I am hoping we can keep the focus on the OP. Illegal immigrant status has nothing to do with a woman who would slaughter a child by beating the little angel to death.

Interestingly, one of the doctors who testified for the prosecution in the Woodward case said he would not testify the same way today, due to advances in technology, etc.

An interesting article on cases like this: http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137454415/the-child-cases-guilty-until-proven-innocent?ft=1&f=1001

Fwiw, after watching the trial and the post conviction hearings, I did not believe Woodward harmed Matty Eappen, and agreed with the judge's decision.

This case appears to be different, in that we have someone with a documented history of violence. It will be interesting to see how the case progresses.

But for now a little baby is gone, and my heart goes out to her loved ones. RIP sweetie. :rose:

One of the worst serial killers of all time (~10 children) was a murderer of this type. Jeanne Weber even escaped the guillotine by doing her crazy act in 1908.

This story is so tragic, I just wanted to comment. I do not live in a big city so I am unfamiliar with childcare there. I have always believed a child is safer in a well-respected and well-run daycare center than in their own home with a person who is a stranger to the family. There are just no checks and balances to ensure the safety of your child. Is it more common in larger cities for children to be cared for in their home by nannies than in larger childcare facilities? Or is it just that the nanny horror stories keep making the news?

And I must say, it seems very odd to me that the baby had older injuries that went unnoticed. If you are a parent in tune with your child a broken bone could not go undetected. I read the comment that babies self sooth and are used to pain, but I still think that type of injury would be obvious, at least right around the time it happened. There should be loss of movement, swelling, bruising, something to indicate an injury. A bone does not break and leave no noticeable sign. I also read in the Daily Mail article that the child had bruising on her body. I do believe the nanny hurt her, not the parents, but I can't help but wonder what else was going on in her life that such obvious abuse was unnoticed by anyone. Would she not have been so fussy from all of this that a doctor visit would have been warranted and perhaps then the injuries noticed?

Granted this woman has a history. How soon after this type of injury does it take for a child to show signs? It seemed strange that the baby woke at 8am then went down to sleep from 10-1:15pm I believe. That is a lot of sleeping for a child of 1yr of age that early in the morning after just waking up. jmo

This story is so tragic, I just wanted to comment. I do not live in a big city so I am unfamiliar with childcare there. I have always believed a child is safer in a well-respected and well-run daycare center than in their own home with a person who is a stranger to the family. There are just no checks and balances to ensure the safety of your child. Is it more common in larger cities for children to be cared for in their home by nannies than in larger childcare facilities? Or is it just that the nanny horror stories keep making the news?

And I must say, it seems very odd to me that the baby had older injuries that went unnoticed. If you are a parent in tune with your child a broken bone could not go undetected. I read the comment that babies self sooth and are used to pain, but I still think that type of injury would be obvious, at least right around the time it happened. There should be loss of movement, swelling, bruising, something to indicate an injury. A bone does not break and leave no noticeable sign. I also read in the Daily Mail article that the child had bruising on her body. I do believe the nanny hurt her, not the parents, but I can't help but wonder what else was going on in her life that such obvious abuse was unnoticed by anyone. Would she not have been so fussy from all of this that a doctor visit would have been warranted and perhaps then the injuries noticed?

I have a feeling this child may have been just left to be raised by the nanny. Wealthier people from certain countries and cultures kind of act like old rich, white royalty when it comes to servants and children. Just speculation, though.

The Boston.com link above quotes the defense attorney as saying that the child was diagnosed as malnourished when she returned from overseas?

Wonder what that is about.

Who was she traveling with and why was she traveling over there?

Defense attorney Melinda Thompson said the child had been traveling overseas in recent weeks, which included stops in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. “Who knows what could have happened?’’ Thompson said.

When the child returned to the United States, Thompson said, she was diagnosed as suffering from malnutrition, Thompson said.

“It didn't happen, Your Honor, by Miss [Brady’s] hand,’’
Thompson said of the infant’s death. “There is more to the story than you’ve heard.’’

Thompson added, “This is an unspeakable tragedy... [but] Miss McCarthy has no idea what happened to this child.’’

Well, because maybe they could eventually find their way to legality, fight in a war, become a disabled vet, yet raise a big family of good citizens, and work until they're 75 or so.

That's what my grandfather, who just died did. Not sure what would have happened had his family been deported. I might not be here to type this post (many of you would probably be glad of that, I'm sure ;) )

"illegal" to me means only that someone is desperate, probably poor enough so that coming legally is out of their reach. Failing to jump through bureaucratic hoops, forms, and fees doesn't make someone a bad person unworthy of citizenship. it just means they're poor and/or desperate for a new start.

My own grandfather was poor, desperate, and only 14 years old when he worked his way, legally, to this country. Sorry I have no sympathy for those who break the law, and I really don't. Breaking the law does not a good citizen make, IMO, and here we see it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back