Roosevelt High School Student Shot and Killed

bakerprune64

Former Member
Reaction score
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- A Roosevelt High School student has been shot and killed by the school's police officer. Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer says the shooting happened shortly before noon Wednesday on campus.
Dyer says the 17 year old sophomore attacked the officer with a modified bat, leaving the officer seriously injured.
According to Dyer, the officer managed to reach for his gun to protect himself but the clip fell out. Dyer says the officer reached for a second weapon he kept in an ankle holster and fired one shot at the student, killing him.
The school was put on lockdown and students were kept inside their classrooms. The officer has been taken to Community Regional Medical Center with a large gash to his head. He is expected to recover.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=6083383

On the radio they said the kid blind sided the officer with the bat and was coming back after the downed officer when he fired his back up weapon at the kid.

Tragic...but if the story is completely accurate, I am glad the officer stopped this physco., or could be reading tommorrow about another school masacre.

Why not stun guns? This must be a really dangerous high school if police officers are allowed to carry guns there.

I don't think the teen had any other weapon except for the bat, so I don't know if there would have been a massacre. Was that on news reports? Well, the teen got what he asked for...a fight...and he lost.

I wouldn't want to work in a high school environment as a teacher OR security staff these days. :eek:

Very scary! Do these kids really think they are not going to get hurt when they do these attacks. Just the other night tv showed a girl hitting another girl with a cafeteria chair. Just little girls 13 and 14. I feel so bad for the other students and the parents of this boy. And even more the officer who was forced to take a life. Very sad all the way around.

Dyer says the 17 year old sophomore attacked the officer with a modified bat, leaving the officer seriously injured.

Sorry but the kid had no business attacking-beating an officer...with a bat no less. I have no problem with him being shot. I wish he hadn't been killed.

Why not stun guns? This must be a really dangerous high school if police officers are allowed to carry guns there.

I don't think the teen had any other weapon except for the bat, so I don't know if there would have been a massacre. Was that on news reports? Well, the teen got what he asked for...a fight...and he lost.

I wouldn't want to work in a high school environment as a teacher OR security staff these days. :eek:

Fresno has a really high gang population...some of these schools are kind of rough. The officers here (45 minutes to the north) that patrol the schools carry weapons as well.

I would like to know how the bat was modified. Did it have a blade at the end? Nails? That could be very dangerous.

Taximom,
Today one of the news stations, and I forget which one, reported that the kid had sawed the bat off and made it into a club. He had only been at the school since Jan.
The policeman has been at the school for 3 years and supposedly he the kids have had no interaction.

School police officers are still officers - and they carry guns.
My little small town high school has a poloice officer who is in uniform, carrying a gun..

A police officer has to be ready all the time...if they are on duty, they should be armed.

We have officers that don't carry guns in the school because of something like this.

My daughter's high school has 10 cops, full timers, who carry guns and batons.

We have officers that don't carry guns in the school because of something like this.

Odd....
My husband is LE.. I work in a police department. I have never heard of a police officer that is assigned to the school, NOT carrying a gun.

Gosh, philamena, that's scary. I mean that they have to carry guns. :(

Gosh, philamena, that's scary. I mean that they have to carry guns. :(

I think so hon. And get this, my daughter's school is the one high school in our city that has the IB program; the International Baccalaureate program. So lots of great, dedicated, well grounded teens go to her school.
:clap:
BUT there are also 6 KNOWN gangs in her school.:eek:
I had no idea until last year. That is one of the reasons the cops who guard our school carry guns.

Odd....
My husband is LE.. I work in a police department. I have never heard of a police officer that is assigned to the school, NOT carrying a gun.

lisag: Good to see you again. Please ask your husband what he thinks was going on with the magazine falling out. Didn't engage it properly and then didn't try to chamber a round before duty; or did he not keep a round chambered on duty, thus having to pull the slide to chamber one, so he wouldn't know it was not engaged?

Either way, not a good scenario for a duty weapon.

C6

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back