CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it not possible that (depending upon position, deployment, duty status, DoD, etc- that mail for some other reason was returned undeliverable?
Usually areas in question or topics forbidden by military in the mail are simply blacked out, but there have been many times (for security reasons) that mail is opened, checked and returned to sender as undeliverable.
This is well pre-TSA and NSA days, but often times certain military positions require careful analysis of those involved in a person's life- and there are many entry positions that are 'fast tracked' to tighter security clearances. Is it possible that Fontelle unknowingly fell victim to a background check that would make such a position impossible for Mr. Harrod? Often it is not the person themself who is an issue, but someone else in their life that unknowingly presents an issue.

I would be interested to know more about Mr. Harrod's military history. Clearly he was a very intelligent man.

Although of course the conclusion that someone else was reading Fontelle's letters is a huge possiblility.

Just a thought anyway.

I suppose it is a possibility but I don't think it very likely.

At that time, Bob was living in a boarding house run by Georgia's aunt. His mail was coming to that address, not a military address.

When he wrote to Fontelle, he put his letters on the kitchen table to be mailed out with the household mail. Intercepting his mail out of the thousands of letters dumped into a single post box would have been a huge task for the military.

At that point, he hadn't even gone through basic training. He was a smart man but I doubt the military saw him as such an amazing resource that they would run a fairly massive covert operation on him.

I suppose it is a possibility but I don't think it very likely.

At that time, Bob was living in a boarding house run by Georgia's aunt. His mail was coming to that address, not a military address.

When he wrote to Fontelle, he put his letters on the kitchen table to be mailed out with the household mail. Intercepting his mail out of the thousands of letters dumped into a single post box would have been a huge task for the military.

At that point, he hadn't even gone through basic training. He was a smart man but I doubt the military saw him as such an amazing resource that they would run a fairly massive covert operation on him.

BBM: lol, that's not exactly what I meant....although there was quite a lot of intercepting of mail during that time frame by the military.

I simply meant that it would be interesting to see if any of the letters had APO's. Returning a letter as marked 'undeliverable' by the USPS means we don't know where it was opened, kwim? Why would you open mail, read it, mail it, and hope the USPS would mark it undeliverable?? Is the implication that they were not stamped at all?

And I was also interested if Mr. Harrod kept in touch with anyone he encountered during that time.
How did he happen upon aerospace contracting? That sort of thing.

Thanx for this post! Somehow I missed the details of how Bob and Fontelle had "missed their boat" way back then. Can you plz direct me to the articles (or posts) about this?

How was Georgia's aunt (or uncle) able to intercept the letters (incoming & outgoing)? Sounds like Bob was living with them...how did that come to be?

And I didn't think this story could get any sadder... :(

Wow! I missed these details as well. Very interesting insight to family dynamics. IMO, the manipulation and entitlement in this family is generational. Opening someone elses mail, reading it, then sending it back return to sender? What well adjusted person does something like that?

[/B]

BBM: lol, that's not exactly what I meant....although there was quite a lot of intercepting of mail during that time frame by the military.

I simply meant that it would be interesting to see if any of the letters had APO's. Returning a letter as marked 'undeliverable' by the USPS means we don't know where it was opened, kwim? Why would you open mail, read it, mail it, and hope the USPS would mark it undeliverable?? Is the implication that they were not stamped at all?

And I was also interested if Mr. Harrod kept in touch with anyone he encountered during that time.
How did he happen upon aerospace contracting? That sort of thing.

As I recall, Fontelle said specifically that the letters were marked "Return to Sender."

I'm old enough to remember my mother doing that with junk mail. It was a fairly common way for people to make a point about how they felt about receiving the mail. I don't recall when "Return to Sender" stopped being used; sometime in the 1970s, I think.

I think Fontelle believed that Georgia's aunt was opening and reading Bob's mail so as to intercept any mail from anyone he had a romantic attachment to back home in Missouri. And if that's what Fontelle believed, it's probably what Bob believed.

Wow! I missed these details as well. Very interesting insight to family dynamics. IMO, the manipulation and entitlement in this family is generational. Opening someone elses mail, reading it, then sending it back return to sender? What well adjusted person does something like that?

BBM

Well, that's what I'm wondering.

I think it's possible that Georgia was not like that at all; evidence seems to point to Bob and Georgia having a good relationship.

I wonder, though, if Georgia was habituated to that sort of behaviour from the people she grew up with. If maybe it just seemed normal.

It's not uncommon for kids to go through stages where they are manipulative and feel entitled but most parents teach them that it's inappropriate before the kids are turned loose on the world.

If Georgia had been raised to see that sort of thing as normal behaviour, then maybe she never really knew how to cope with it when her own kids were that way.

Which could explain a lot.

Bob and Georgia raised these three women, at least two who have had some questionable choices in life partners...and I would think you could argue the third perhaps has as well. There is also a grandson here. So we have 5 adults who were comfortable treating Bob as an ATM, if not something worse.

I wouldnt call that a vacuum. Bob had relationships, clearly. One of his closest friends used to post with us. Bob was held in high regard personally and professionally. We have some independant verification of that. So I am not sure whether or not a long marriage is considered a good marriage, but the fact is they stuck with one another until the end. At least we know that much.

Bob and Georgia raised these three women, at least two who have had some questionable choices in life partners...and I would think you could argue the third perhaps has as well. There is also a grandson here. So we have 5 adults who were comfortable treating Bob as an ATM, if not something worse.

I wouldnt call that a vacuum. Bob had relationships, clearly. One of his closest friends used to post with us. Bob was held in high regard personally and professionally. We have some independant verification of that. So I am not sure whether or not a long marriage is considered a good marriage, but the fact is they stuck with one another until the end. At least we know that much.

True enough.

We also know that Bob didn't trash Georgia directly. He just praised Fontelle, saying he loved her, she was the one who got away, etc. Stuff that is pretty much standard issue under such circumstances.

Bob deserved so much better from his descendants.

Personally knowing R's husband (ex) I can vouch for him being a Purple Heart recipient from Vietnam and a hell of a nice guy.
He is back in Texas now.

Personally knowing R's husband (ex) I can vouch for him being a Purple Heart recipient from Vietnam and a hell of a nice guy.
He is back in Texas now.

Thank you for the contribution! Have you had a chance to get verified with WS as an insider on this case? If not, I hope you'll consider doing so.

I'm not sure if it's within TOS or not to ask if you've ever been given an impression of R's character.

Accounting for Conservatorship - Hearing Tomorrow, 5/7

HARROD – CONSERVATORSHIP
30-2009-00291267-PR-CE-LJC

(P) ACCOUNTING SCHEDULED FOR 05/07/2012 AT 09:00:00 AM IN L73 AT LAMOREAUX JUSTICE CENTER.

Snipped from Probate Notes:

REVIEWED DATE: 3/27/12

CONTINUED 1 TIME

PER MINUTE ORDER OF 3/26/12, ACCOUNTING CONTINUED TO 5/7/12 9AM
L73. PER EMAIL REQUEST FROM AARON CHARLES GREGG. LAST CONTINUANCE
WITHOUT AN APPEARANCE.

REQUIRES ALL ORIGINAL BANK STATEMENTS FOR BEGINNING TIME PERIOD
AS OF 5/5/10 TO BE FILED WITH THE COURT. STATEMENTS PROVIDED WERE
ONLY FOR ENDING PERIOD, HOWEVER, THEY WERE NOT SUFFICIENT, AS THEY
WERE ONLY THROUGH 5/27/11.

https://ocapps.occourts.org/ProbPubv2/Home.do

https://cfapps.occourts.org/calendars/probnotesroot/probnotesv3/30-2009-00291267-PR-CE-LJCM71444716.html

Looks like Bob's story will be on Disappeared (Season 5). A clip of the show is posted on their website (watch video at link below). Agnes the housekeeper is interviewed and appears in clip. I did my best to transcribe the clip below.

===

Disappeared Season 5 - Sign of Trouble (Bob Harrod)

Clip (3:23) – Posted 4/26/12

(transcribed below)

Narrator: But Jeff was not the only person at Bob’s house that day. Agnes, Bob’s housekeeper of more than 10 years, arrived around Noon. Normally, she cleans Bob’s house on Tuesday, but this week she’d arranged to come on Monday.

Agnes: And he said that will be fine, I will be here, and Jeff is coming and he’s gonna to take care of a couple of things in the house before Fontelle comes. So I went to the house, knocked on the door, nobody answered, I looked in the mailbox because that’s where he normally leaves me the key, the key wasn’t there, so I sat on the bench in front of the house.

Narrator: The situation made her very uneasy. Nothing like this had ever happened before.

Agnes: Bob always was home when I went over there, or if, him and Georgia, they would always always tell me if they would not be home, and they put a key in the mailbox. But it was a very rare occasion that they were not home.

Narrator: After about 15 minutes, Jeff drove up to the house.

Agnes: I told him right away that, you know, that where Bob is, because he’s not answering the door. And Jeff was just asking me, “Are you supposed to be here today?” I said, “Yeah, Bob knew that I’m coming today.”

Narrator: Agnes was surprised to hear that Bob didn’t tell Jeff that she would be coming that day. As Jeff let her in the house, she began to feel that something was very wrong.

Agnes: I was really concerned at that point, I was afraid to go upstairs, I didn’t want to find anything. So I asked Jeff if he would go upstairs and see if Bob was there.

Narrator: Agnes waited at the bottom of the stairs while Jeff went up to have a look around.

Agnes: I thought he’s just going to look into the room, it takes a minute to go up, look into the room, and just see if Bob was there or not. But he actually ended up spending a couple of minutes there, so I thought maybe, you know, he find something, he find him there or something. So I yelled up, I said, “Is he there, is he ok?” And he said, ‘No, he’s not here.” And then he came back.

Narrator: Uncertain about what to do next, Agnes began cleaning, while Jeff resumed his repairs. As she worked her way around the house, she noticed something disturbing.

Agnes: When I went upstairs, I saw that in his bedroom, the bed was unmade, and never in the 10 years I worked for them, that happened before. It was just so out of character for him to not to make the bed, I just thought it was very strange.

Narrator: Deeply troubled, Agnes finished up and left, shortly after Jeff, who had also completed his work.

Agnes: I was there all together about 3 hours. I can honestly tell you that during the whole time I was there, I was very concerned. I kept thinking, where is he at?

Video Clip: http://investigation.discovery.com/videos/disappeared-sign-of-trouble.html

From Disappeared missing person profile page:

Disappeared – Season 5
Bob Harrod
Missing since July 27, 2009

Eighty-one year old Bob Harrod is walking on air when he reconnects with his long lost sweetheart Fontelle. In a whirlwind reunion after 60 years apart, the two are married and make plans for Fontelle to live with Bob in California. But while Fontelle is home in Missouri preparing for her cross-country move, Bob disappears. At first, police believe he may have suffered a health problem typical of his age. But as time goes on and Bob isn't found, they begin to suspect foul play. It's not long until a strong motive surfaces: Bob is a millionaire.

http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/disappeared/the-missing/index-tab-05.html

Looks like Bob's story will be on Disappeared (Season 5). A clip of the show is posted on their website (watch video at link below). Agnes the housekeeper is interviewed and appears in clip. I did my best to transcribe the clip below.

===

Disappeared Season 5 - Sign of Trouble (Bob Harrod)

Clip (3:23) – Posted 4/26/12

(transcribed below)

Narrator: But Jeff was not the only person at Bob’s house that day. Agnes, Bob’s housekeeper of more than 10 years, arrived around Noon. Normally, she cleans Bob’s house on Tuesday, but this week she’d arranged to come on Monday.

Agnes: And he said that will be fine, I will be here, and Jeff is coming and he’s gonna to take care of a couple of things in the house before Fontelle comes. So I went to the house, knocked on the door, nobody answered, I looked in the mailbox because that’s where he normally leaves me the key, the key wasn’t there, so I sat on the bench in front of the house.

Narrator: The situation made her very uneasy. Nothing like this had ever happened before.

Agnes: Bob always was home when I went over there, or if, him and Georgia, they would always always tell me if they would not be home, and they put a key in the mailbox. But it was a very rare occasion that they were not home.

Agnes: I told him right away that, you know, that where Bob is, because he’s not answering the door. And Jeff was just asking me, “Are you supposed to be here today?” I said, “Yeah, Bob knew that I’m coming today.”

Narrator: Agnes was surprised to hear that Bob didn’t tell Jeff that she would be coming that day. As Jeff let her in the house, she began to feel that something was very wrong.

Agnes: I was really concerned at that point, I was afraid to go upstairs, I didn’t want to find anything. So I asked Jeff if he would go upstairs and see if Bob was there.

Narrator: Agnes waited at the bottom of the stairs while Jeff went up to have a look around.

Agnes: I thought he’s just going to look into the room, it takes a minute to go up, look into the room, and just see if Bob was there or not. But he actually ended up spending a couple of minutes there, so I thought maybe, you know, he find something, he find him there or something. So I yelled up, I said, “Is he there, is he ok?” And he said, ‘No, he’s not here.” And then he came back.

Narrator: Uncertain about what to do next, Agnes began cleaning, while Jeff resumed his repairs. As she worked her way around the house, she noticed something disturbing.

Agnes: When I went upstairs, I saw that in his bedroom, the bed was unmade, and never in the 10 years I worked for them, that happened before. It was just so out of character for him to not to make the bed, I just thought it was very strange.

Narrator: Deeply troubled, Agnes finished up and left, shortly after Jeff, who had also completed his work.

Agnes: I was there all together about 3 hours. I can honestly tell you that during the whole time I was there, I was very concerned. I kept thinking, where is he at?

Video Clip: http://investigation.discovery.com/videos/disappeared-sign-of-trouble.html

This speaks for itself.

Do we know when Season 5 begins? I don't want to miss it.....

Do we know when Season 5 begins? I don't want to miss it.....

It looks like they have aired one other story from Season 5 so far (not Bob's), but I don't know when Bob's show will air. I'll keep checking.

Thank God for Agnes. You can tell she cared very much about Bob and she is very credible IMO.

This speaks for itself.

Thanks, that’s very important. So…Bob and Agnes spoke earlier that day and Bob told Agnes Jeff was coming, but Jeff did not know Agnes was coming that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123