Death Penalty Vs Life in Prison and Why

do you want Casey to get the death penalty?

• yes

Votes: 106 59.2%
  • no

Votes: 73 40.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully we aren't putting the carraige before the horse, but IF she gets convicted, I would prefer that she get LIFE. This is such a charged case, DP would surely turn her into a martar to some people.
Not sure where I really stand on DP. In theory, I think it's horrible & I disagree with it. But if J. Couey had actually lived long enough to receive his DP, I can't say I would have shed any tears for him.

My hope is that Life for KC would give her plenty of time to discover some sort of remorse for what she has done. Caylee deserved a full and wonderful life. The person who killed her deserves so, so much less.

I had not thought of that, something to ponder-Sort of like Tarantino's point with Natural Born Killers as well, killers being idolized.

I'm curious about life in prison for a woman vs. for a man; The men that you see in prison on the documentary programs are living in hell-Raped, beaten, killed, witnessing death around them-It's horrible. Would this be KC's "life," or would her term be less daunting due to the fact that she is in a female facility?
Of course, on death row, you are not in contact with the general pop., so there's the kicker-(relatively) quiet death within a few years, or life in hell?

I had not thought of that, something to ponder-Sort of like Tarantino's point with Natural Born Killers as well, killers being idolized.

Who is she going to be a martar for? Her parents and a few people who think she is innocent? Truthfully, for those few people she is going to be a martar either way.

I'm not so sure about people sending her money all the time. She's looking at potentially 60 years or so remaining in her life, maybe more. The novelty of KC will wear off, and I just don't see people sending her money in 5 years.

I haven't read much on Susan Smith, but if anyone has any online sources, I'd love to see them. She's another one who should have to live every day of the rest of her life in a cell plastered with photos of her kids as they were pulled out of the lake, strapped into their car seats.

I'm not so sure about people sending her money all the time. She's looking at potentially 60 years or so remaining in her life, maybe more. The novelty of KC will wear off, and I just don't see people sending her money in 5 years.

I haven't read much on Susan Smith, but if anyone has any online sources, I'd love to see them. She's another one who should have to live every day of the rest of her life in a cell plastered with photos of her kids as they were pulled out of the lake, strapped into their car seats.

Her parents will send her money and there will be others that attach themselves to her for whatever reason. Maybe she will find some penpal guy that will want to marry her while she is in prison. Wouldn't that be sweet! Are there still prisons out there that allow congugal(sp?) visits? That thought makes me want to puke!

I am trying really hard not to get started on the many things that our convicted felons are allowed to have/do while they are in prison. But I agree that she should have to look at pictures of her dead babies everyday of her miserable life.

What are we doing with Guam right now? Hmm small island out in the middle of no where.

Well anyway as far as the DP or Life. No sense in pulling punches I'm all for the DP. I also feel that the DP should be an option for crimes other then murder. Such as someone who captures, tortures, rapes, and "nearly" kills there victim or multiple victims as an example. I think there are crimes so heinous that even though the victim isn't dead their life has been so altered that their life was effectively ended.

That being said I don't think the DP should be taken lightly. A jury should be near unanimous in its decision for the DP such as 11-1 or maybe 10-2 but even 10-2 to me is not nearly close enough. Some states its merely a majority so it could be as little as 7-5. I also wouldn't be apposed to the possibility of having a higher standard of proof for DP cases. What that standard would be I really haven't sat down and hashed out.

For this case as a bystander watching the case unfold I would support a DP verdict in this case knowing everything we know. If I was a juror and was only privy to certain information that was admissible in this case and did not know as much about this case as someone who has followed it every day from day 31. I would vote against the DP in the jury room I believe. It would really depend on how Caylee's death was presented and the duct tape evidence in conjunction with that death presentation for me.

You know, I minored in Theology in college, and I just throw this out there for consideration (it is not an indication of my personal religious beliefs).

For those that support the death penalty, what if there is no after-life? If we sentence Casey to death, doesn't she win because she has a quick and painless death - never to know or feel long term suffering and wasting away into old age?

Without a belief in an afterlife, does the rationale for the death penalty as the ultimate punishment still survive?

You are taking away everything that person has and everything that person is ever going to have. Some are able to make some sort of life for themselves in prison. Take Ted Bundy for example he had to be nearly carried, whimpering to his execution. Where as in prison he would have continued to find some pleasures in just being alive despite his incarceration.

This is with out any after life being added to the equation.

If KC is convicted of murdering Caylee, I would support the DP without hesitation. KC cannot be rehabilitated. If given LWOP, Florida taxpayers will continue to spend millions of dollars segregating KC from the general population. In a perfect world, Florida’s law regarding LWOP being Life would become Federal law. A sentence of Life should mean just that as a lifetime of incarceration is the only way to protect us from the evils in our society. Our prisons are full of people who are serving time for carrying a joint in their pocket, while we let society’s most violent criminals off or out on parole/probation, simply because our prisons lack the room to house the pedophiles, psychopaths and sociopaths when these are the very people we seek to protect ourselves from. Given the abundance of pedophiles in our society that are released or given a slap on the hand for the most atrocious, heinous and violent crimes, that in itself should be sufficient cause for concern for most of us. We should not have to worry about children dying at the hand of their own parent(s).

Make an example of KC and it might deter others from committing similar crimes, it certainly would not encourage someone else to commit similar acts. Perhaps some members of our society are not clear on the fact that we are sick and tired of crimes against children, and by voting for the DP, society can reiterate the point that if you kill, rape, sodomize or prostitute a child, you will either lose your life or spend the rest of your time on this earth locked away in a cage. I have no use for child murderers, pedophiles, wife beaters or cop killers who drain our nation’s limited resources in an effort to protect their own rights following their violation of others’ rights.
If the jury recommends LWOP, so be it, but don’t convince yourself that KC will ever show remorse. She is an empty soul and that can never be fixed or even improved upon, exactly like all the other pedophiles, psychopaths and sociopaths. Justice to me would mean that KC is never allowed to bear another child and I’ll take that one step further, I would be happy to know that KC could never enjoy another moment of sexual satisfaction, self induced or otherwise. Add to that the images of the rest of the A clan enjoying the Bella Vita (albeit without their precious angel, Caylee) for the duration of their time here on earth, while KC rots in jail watching their lives go on and it looks like justice to me. Throw in a lifetime of crappy jail chili and that would be icing on the cake.

KC made this hell for her daughter, her family, friends and all of us who watch this case from the sidelines and if she’s convicted, I hope she pays the ultimate price. If not, I would be perfectly happy knowing that she will spend the rest of her life behind bars. We live in a world where women kill their own children, sell them into prostitution in exchange for drugs or money and rape other women’s children with foreign objects. I personally have had enough and feel it is time to Wake Up America, may the punishment fit the crime. Although we agree to differ on our feelings regarding the DP, surely we can agree that our children deserve the ultimate protection we are able to afford them, and that remains locking away indefinitely those who would harm them.

If KC is convicted of murdering Caylee, I would support the DP without hesitation. KC cannot be rehabilitated. If given LWOP, Florida taxpayers will continue to spend millions of dollars segregating KC from the general population. In a perfect world, Florida’s law regarding LWOP being Life would become Federal law. A sentence of Life should mean just that as a lifetime of incarceration is the only way to protect us from the evils in our society. Our prisons are full of people who are serving time for carrying a joint in their pocket, while we let society’s most violent criminals off or out on parole/probation, simply because our prisons lack the room to house the pedophiles, psychopaths and sociopaths when these are the very people we seek to protect ourselves from. Given the abundance of pedophiles in our society that are released or given a slap on the hand for the most atrocious, heinous and violent crimes, that in itself should be sufficient cause for concern for most of us. We should not have to worry about children dying at the hand of their own parent(s).

Make an example of KC and it might deter others from committing similar crimes, it certainly would not encourage someone else to commit similar acts. Perhaps some members of our society are not clear on the fact that we are sick and tired of crimes against children, and by voting for the DP, society can reiterate the point that if you kill, rape, sodomize or prostitute a child, you will either lose your life or spend the rest of your time on this earth locked away in a cage. I have no use for child murderers, pedophiles, wife beaters or cop killers who drain our nation’s limited resources in an effort to protect their own rights following their violation of others’ rights.
If the jury recommends LWOP, so be it, but don’t convince yourself that KC will ever show remorse. She is an empty soul and that can never be fixed or even improved upon, exactly like all the other pedophiles, psychopaths and sociopaths. Justice to me would mean that KC is never allowed to bear another child and I’ll take that one step further, I would be happy to know that KC could never enjoy another moment of sexual satisfaction, self induced or otherwise. Add to that the images of the rest of the A clan enjoying the Bella Vita (albeit without their precious angel, Caylee) for the duration of their time here on earth, while KC rots in jail watching their lives go on and it looks like justice to me. Throw in a lifetime of crappy jail chili and that would be icing on the cake.

KC made this hell for her daughter, her family, friends and all of us who watch this case from the sidelines and if she’s convicted, I hope she pays the ultimate price. If not, I would be perfectly happy knowing that she will spend the rest of her life behind bars. We live in a world where women kill their own children, sell them into prostitution in exchange for drugs or money and rape other women’s children with foreign objects. I personally have had enough and feel it is time to Wake Up America, may the punishment fit the crime. Although we agree to differ on our feelings regarding the DP, surely we can agree that our children deserve the ultimate protection we are able to afford them, and that remains locking away indefinitely those who would harm them.

Thanks was not enough!

Bravo! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Because of personal reasons, this thread holds a lot of interest for me. Personally, myself, I don't believe in the DP but respect those that do. Here is my reasons. In the state of Kentucky, we currently have 35 people on death row. Look below at the dates that the DP was given.
Roger Epperson...1986
Leif Holuorsen.....1983
Benny Hodge.......1986
David Matthews...1982
Brian Moore........1984
David Sanders....1987
Victor Taylor......1986
Karu White.........1980
MITCHEL WILLOUGHBY... 1983
Gregory Wilson.......1988

No justice has yet been served. 29 years is wayy too long for someone to be on Death Row. This frustrates me to no ends and is one of the reasons I want my brother's murderer to get LWOP.

http://www.corrections.ky.gov/inmateinfo/deathrow.htm

Because of personal reasons, this thread holds a lot of interest for me. Personally, myself, I don't believe in the DP but respect those that do. Here is my reasons. In the state of Kentucky, we currently have 35 people on death row. Look below at the dates that the DP was given.
Roger Epperson...1986
Leif Holuorsen.....1983
Benny Hodge.......1986
David Matthews...1982
Brian Moore........1984
David Sanders....1987
Victor Taylor......1986
Karu White.........1980
MITCHEL WILLOUGHBY... 1983
Gregory Wilson.......1988

No justice has yet been served. 29 years is wayy too long for someone to be on Death Row. This frustrates me to no ends and is one of the reasons I want my brother's murderer to get LWOP.

http://www.corrections.ky.gov/inmateinfo/deathrow.htm

I agree that these times are too long. I guess the question would be why have they not been executed yet? Is it because they are dragging out any appeals possible and throwing anything at the walls that they think might stick or is the state slow in doing its job?

I agree that these times are too long. I guess the question would be why have they not been executed yet? Is it because they are dragging out any appeals possible and throwing anything at the walls that they think might stick or is the state slow in doing its job?
Just my opinion but I think it's the state.

Just my opinion but I think it's the state.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps...20091107/NEWS01/911080317/&template=artiphone

Here is a write up I found on Karu Gene White. Looks like he is still appealing everything under the sun and now claiming that he is mentally deficient.

http://off2dr.com/modules/smf/index.php?topic=3473.0;wap2 I also found this which talks about the appeals and court battles for several of those on the list.

Interesting reading really.

Am I the only person who doesn't care what happens to KC?
Let her rot for her natural life, let her die. It makes no difference to me.
As long as she pays the ultimate price (no freedom forever, however long "ever" is) if she is guilty for what she is charged with doing to her baby girl.

Otherwise, I have no opinion. Always seems the focus is on the perpetrator, instead of the poor victim in all of this.

KC is where she belongs if the charges against her are true. Whether she eats Cheetos all day, paints her nails, gets religious, ignores her parents, or hits on the guards, it doesn't bother me, because she is not "out here". And that is the best we can hope for at this particular period in time. Sociopaths make the best of any situation they are given, which makes me think she isn't a true sociopath, since she has those angry outbursts when she doesn't get her way.

KC is so lame and seriously, insignificant. Caylee on the other hand....deserved so much better than a lame and insignificant mother.

The level of disgust that fills me to overflowing that I hold for KC is immeasurable. It is for this that I believe more justice would be served in her PUNISHMENT rather than in her death. She deserves PUNISHMENT and she deserves to suffer, long. She extinguished the light of an angel, baby Caylee, whose light shone BRIGHTER than her own. Therefore she must be made to FEEL the consequence OF that deed and death will not bring that feeling. LONG LIFE with NO HOPE of escape-THAT would be justice for the sheer arrogance that she displays concerning her daughters loss of life. Let her grow old and die there, behind those bars and let her remember what she had and threw away-in exchange for? Prison bars forever.:furious:

Please remember for the purposes of this thread we are making the hypothetical that KC is convicted of a crime that can carry the DP or Life.

We understand she has not been convicted yet and that it is possible she won't be.

The question isn't to innocence or guilt but rather a dicussion on the punishments in the event she is convicted.

I dont care what it costs. She should get the death penalty. There is no crime worse, IMO, than a child benig murdered by the very hands that are supposed to protect her from all else.

When I was little, my parents told me when you go to jail, you get bread and water to eat, no TV, no friends to talk to , NOTHING. This terrified me. Knowing that KC will have the opportunity to go to school, read magazines all day , listen to the radio, and even eat snacks makes me so mad. Caylee will never get to do any of those things, and that is why I vote DP. If jail were like my Parents told me, then I wouldn't care. She does not deserve to enjoy anything.

If the DP magically became less expensive overnight, I would still be opposed to it. Killing people just isn't something I can get behind.
But just to be a pill and throw some fodder out there for people to get on me about ( as if i don;t provide enough) I do understand passionate murder to a degree. What I mean by that is, if i walked in and found someone raping my baby and I had a gun in my hand, I am quite sure i wouldn't hesitate to shoot to kill.
However, were this person brought to trial i would not support methodically putting them to death after giving it much thought and deliberation.
I am well aware that this is inconsistent and paradoxical, but I am just being honest.

I'm right there with you. word for word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy