Found Deceased Russia - Colin Madsen, 25, Arshan, Buryatia, 27 March 2016 - US Student

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Russian police launch search for US student, 25, missing in Siberian mountains two days after he vanished from guesthouse without a coat in subzero temperatures
32A3C97500000578-3513962-image-a-17_1459258854499.jpg

Russian police have launched a full-scale search for an American postgraduate student who has vanished in a mountainous area of Siberia.
Colin Madsen, 25, left a guesthouse in Arshan, in the Buddhist region of Buryatia, in the early hours of Sunday morning, and has not been seen since.

32A3C98A00000578-3513962-image-a-23_1459258994961.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-coat-subzero-temperatures.html#ixzz44LSEf3gi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook​

I know Russia, Russians and the Russian language. I find it very odd that he would just be able to get up and leave in the middle of the night with no questions asked. He is a Foreign National and as such would be subject to surveillance. Russians are very friendly, welcoming and nationalistic. True whether or not you are in Buryatiya, Moscow or Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. With the nationalism comes a very strong desire to show the country and its cultures in the most positive light possible. That means loads of invitations everywhere, and plenty of company at all times. Being in a remote area like that you can bet that the local population knows all about the 'американец' or US Citizen in their midst. That means that someone, somewhere has seen something.

He is a student at Irkutsk State Linguistic University and visited the tourist destination of Arshan in Buryatia with friends. He left a guesthouse in the village during the night on 27 March between 2 am and 5 am, evidently without a coat in sub-zero temperatures.

His cellphone is unavailable. Madsen is from Jefferson City, Missouri, and is understood to speak good Russian.

He is described as being 170 cm to 175 cm tall, of slim build, with blue eyes and brown hair. He was dressed in sand-coloured trousers, a T-shirt, and wore grey hiking boots.

His mother, Dana Madsen, is flying to Russia to help the search for her missing son.

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0626-american-man-goes-missing-in-siberia/

The Arshan area is famous for its healing mineral waters, mountain views and waterfalls. The village also has a noted Buddhist temple.

inside_colin_1.jpg

"Concern rises over missing American who aimed to climb Peak of Love"
Source: http://siberiantimes.com/other/othe...ing-american-who-aimed-to-climb-peak-of-love/
(Thank you, JerseyGirl, for pointing me in the right direction :)!)

This is the first time I am reading that:
"The case has been put under the 'special control' of the Moscow department of the Russian Invesigative Committee, sometimes called the Russian FBI, and the Russian Foreign Ministry."

"Madsen, a postgraduate student, had come to the thermal tourist resort in Buryatia with friends, including another American, from the Irkutsk State Linguistic University." (BBM)

"The group had agreed to rise at 5am to climb the 2412-metre high Peak of Love (7,913 feet), a mysterious mountain in the Eastern Sayan range. But he left two hours earlier ...," (BBM)

and, as reported earlier, "not suitably dressed for night time subzero temperatures." (BBM)

Again, this is new to me, too: "His cellphone remained at the guest house. Madsen is described by the source as leading a 'healthy lifestyle' and did not drink alcohol.

'He liked to walk at night in Irkutsk, often talked about it - all the students knew about this hobby,' he ("a source at the institute") said."

If the source is correct, and Colin indeed does not drink, then my first theory that perhaps he had a little too much to drink and wandered outside, at least for me, becomes less likely.

What bothers me the most is that he apparently was not dressed for the weather (I'm assuming that his coat is still at the guesthouse), and though to a lesser degree, that he did not take his phone with him.

I can imagine a person not taking his/her phone along on a nighttime walk, especially if he/she is feeling safe enough, to enjoy the peace and quiet. But why not the coat? This, I'm afraid, leads me to suspect foul play :(, and maybe that is why the so-called "Russian FBI" is now involved. Colin and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

There are plenty of sacred sites here," shaman Radna Dashitsyrenova was quoted as saying. "Their hosts may mislead [hikers]. You need to pay them honors before a trip, otherwise such tragedies would happen."

What are they implying happened?

Without the benefit of any research right now and off the top of my head, I think he/she means that each sacred site is inhabited by a "spirit," and that people should go and honor that spirit. Otherwise, the spirit will "get inside your head/cast a spell" and mislead you or your sense of direction when hiking or walking and a resultant tragedy will occur.

Without the benefit of any research right now and off the top of my head, I think he/she means that each sacred site is inhabited by a "spirit," and that people should go and honor that spirit. Otherwise, the spirit will "get inside your head/cast a spell" and mislead you or your sense of direction when hiking or walking and a resultant tragedy will occur.

Thank you SurfieTX! I read it as he needed to pay his hosts (meaning the inn keepers or someone leading the hike) or they would mislead you.

One of the most obvious elements of traditional Buryat culture being revived in Russia is religion. As we drove from the capital to Tunkinsky, we stopped at least half-a-dozen times so our Buryat hosts and driver could offer prayers and libations at sacred sites associated with Siberian shamanism. The first one we stopped at was a sacred tree with hundreds of blue and white prayer scarves tied to its branches and a pile of vodka bottles strewn around its base. (Part of the tradition here is to make an offering of something you value, most often vodka, and to leave whatever you bring.) In the shamanistic tradition, certain trees are believed to be the repository of spirits, and sacred sites almost always involve trees and prayer scarves. But this region also has a long and strong history of Tibetan Buddhism, and many sacred sites will feature a Buddhist stupa or prayer wheel alongside the shaman elements.

https://www.culturalsurvival.org/publications/cultural-survival-quarterly/china/culture-line

About half-way down on this link, there is a picture that shows the scarves:

http://todiscoverrussia.com/buryatia-russia/

Thank you SurfieTX! I read it as he needed to pay his hosts (meaning the inn keepers or someone leading the hike) or they would mislead you.

Honestly, I thought that too at first. :)

Madsen had come to the thermal tourist resort with friends, including another American, from the university. The group had agreed to rise at 5am to the Peak of Love, which is 7,913 feet. The mountain in the Eastern Sayan range has spiritual associations for local Buddhists. But he left two hours earlier, not suitably dressed for night time subzero temperatures.

His cellphone remained at the guest house. Madsen is described as leading a 'healthy lifestyle' and did not drink alcohol.

Even local shamans - who blame tourists for getting into trouble because they do not respect ancient traditions and honor 'sacred' sites - are helping with the search.

'They said that in the morning when Colin vanished, it began to snow. So dogs cannot pick up the trace.'

Temperatures in the region are around 48F during the day, but dip below freezing at night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...led-Peak-Love-coatless-3am.html#ixzz44PiWHV9T

I think your interpretation is right, SurfieTx. Though it was not what I thought when I first read the quote.

Here is a link to the Baikal-Daily article that NBC news mentioned. http://www.baikal-daily.ru/news/20/201265/ It is in Russian, but Google translate did a pretty good job when I pasted the text into the translator.

Rough translation of some of the article:
" The strange disappearance of American student Colin Madsen Arshan in the middle of the night causes a lot of questions. Shamans do not exclude the participation of the area of ​​spirits.... According to the shamans, a series of accidents persecutes people because of the lack of respect to the spirits of the holy places. - There are many holy places. If not "sprinkle" home locations "led by the hand." It is necessary before going to pay homage. From ignorance of such tragedies occur. I'll sprinkle and other shamans, look at the rosary and to pray for the young tourist. If enough information, we will inform the police, - says shaman Radna Dashitsyrenova. Also, religious leaders offered on items registration inform visitors about the "rules of conduct in holy places."

"If Colin Madsen knew about the customs and traditions of these places, it is difficult to say. But it is known that he (was in) Arshan for the fourth time. By the way, I had a similar case last year. Tourist, going to the "Peak of Love" was lost. His body was found on the third day. There is also the case three years ago only to have with a happy ending, which told the shamans. In the Oka area missing tourist found a safe and sound the next day after the shaman rituals. Later, the young man explained that he remembered nothing."

Madsen had come to the thermal tourist resort with friends, including another American, from the university. The group had agreed to rise at 5am to the Peak of Love, which is 7,913 feet. The mountain in the Eastern Sayan range has spiritual associations for local Buddhists. But he left two hours earlier, not suitably dressed for night time subzero temperatures.

His cellphone remained at the guest house. Madsen is described as leading a 'healthy lifestyle' and did not drink alcohol.

Even local shamans - who blame tourists for getting into trouble because they do not respect ancient traditions and honor 'sacred' sites - are helping with the search.

'They said that in the morning when Colin vanished, it began to snow. So dogs cannot pick up the trace.'

Temperatures in the region are around 48F during the day, but dip below freezing at night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...led-Peak-Love-coatless-3am.html#ixzz44PiWHV9T

I think he just got lost. I suspect he headed out early to try to beat everyone up there and maybe just got lost in the woods.

The place seems wooded enough to get lost in the woods.

When you first start out hiking you get warm and even sweat and I think maybe he had been doing a little local hiking in the previous days and remembered how hot he got on the hike so maybe he purposely did not wear the right clothing knowing he was going on a hike.

But the problem with that is as soon as you stop hiking and begin to rest then you can get cold quickly. If he got lost and if he stopped hiking then he could have succumb to the elements.

I am not thinking foul play but that could be another option of course.

The one thing that bothers me is them mentioning he was not dressed for it and one article even mentioned he left with just t-shirt. So how did they know this? Were they up when he left?

Why would they be up at 3 AM?

Something bothers me about how they knew all this information and nobody told him to be sure to bring more clothes with him.

Unless they were just assuming that is what he wore because they saw his other stuff still back at cabin.

If there was any kind of foul play then some sort of noise should have been heard by the others.

Right now I have to chalk it up to him just getting too adventurous and getting lost. Not sure why they would suspend searching. They should keep looking IMO.

The one thing that bothers me is them mentioning he was not dressed for it and one article even mentioned he left with just t-shirt. So how did they know this? Were they up when he left?

Why would they be up at 3 AM?

I'm going with Occams Razor and they know what he didn't take with him. I can't imagine he travelled with a huge wardrobe, so probably only one big coat and a couple of sweaters.

Can't see him dressing like that if he intended to go hjiking, he'd been there before and knows the conditions. Also, why would he leave his phone behind?

Hard for them to search when they have no idea which direction he went in and it's been snowing. It's unlikely he'd have lasted long outside before he succumbed to hypothermia.

It's so very weird. Could he have been led outside for whatever reason? But where is he? They just got snow. Is it enough to cover disturbed ground? I do hope he's found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back