17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was 2008, dear, not college age Zimm. And his being an Altar boy isn't relative to the case either. Nor was 3/4's of the stuff in that fluffnutter.

That other portion really likes to place the blame of not paying debt back to the credit card company. IMO, that's ridiculous.

fluffnutter. :floorlaugh: So funny, yet so appropriate a word! And I agree with you. I've gotten into debt twice, and I am still paying it off. People need to be responsible and pay off their debts, not blame the credit card company. It's up to the person to read the small print and know what to expect, not spend money, run up cards, and then be overwhelmed with the high payments. I know it's not a perfect world, but I am proud of myself of taking responsiblity and paying off my debts. And I now know better than trust credit cards, and in fact, I don't even have any anymore. If GZ can't be responsible with his own debt, that says a lot about him to me.

He was 24 years old, already married. It wasn't like he was a 18 or 19-year-old kid who got caught up in not being able to pay for a credit card. He was also working a job that he quit after he agreed to a settlement with the company.

~jmo~

Do you have a link regarding the settlement with the company?

And we don't know when he recieved the card or when the charges were. Just when it defaulted.

He could have been 18 for all we know.

ETA: Nevermind, I see you were talking about a settlement with the CC company.
I thought you meant he quit a job after settlement with the company he worked for.

If these can be said about the SFD, they can be said about Corey.

04-24-2012, 01:37 PM Adrienne37: "I agree HiHater. I have my ideas as well but it's too bad we'll never know because YET AGAIN there wasn't a proper investigation completed by the SPD"

04-23-2012, 08:52 PM Adrienne37: "I think their whole investigation was nothing but a big lie and coverup from the get go."

04-23-2012, 06:26 PM Adrienne37: "There is so much going on in Sanford and we've only scratched the surface."

04-23-2012, 06:17 PM Adrienne37: "I'll take it one step further - he disregarded his own 30 year career by not conducting a proper criminal investigation and covering up facts."

I wasn't speaking about the SPD.

~jmo~

Would pulling your financial records from when you were in college be a representation of your character today?

I know mine wouldn't be.
They could do it to mine. I put myself through college starting at age 25 (and I never considered myself 'college age' - most people around me were kids, as far as I was concerned.)

I did this while working nearly full time - and I have *always* paid my bills. Always. That was decades ago, today I still have an exceptionally high creedit rating.

Yes, not paying back money you borrow and promise to pay back *is* indicative of character. Not always, as some circumstances can influence. You can always work with CC companies to make payment. What you don't do is neglect it. That is what it appears Zimm did.

Sorry, I think it counts. The company was forced to take action due to his irresponsibility.

Some practices are unethical and frowned upon even though they are legal.
The fact that that group of people is targeted should tell you how unethical it is.
I don't think it can be stated enough how deeply relevant the above comment is to this entire Trayvon Martin tragedy.

If you think about it.

Do you have a link regarding the settlement with the company?

And we don't know when he recieved the card or when the charges were. Just when it defaulted.

He could have been 18 for all we know.

ETA: Nevermind, I see you were talking about a settlement with the CC company.
I thought you meant he quit a job after settlement with the company he worked for.

It doesn't matter how old he was. He admitted he had the debt, reached a settlement agreement, and then defaulted on that. It's all right here in black and white....

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/23/nation/la-na-nn-george-zimmerman-20120323

Zimmerman married Shellie Nicole Dean, a licensed cosmetologist, in late 2007.
The next year, he resurfaced in court documents as a credit-card company pursued him. Capital One accused Zimmerman of failing to pay more than $1,000. He settled with the company for $2,135.82, records show, to cover his debts with interest, as well as attorney and court costs. The credit card company soon reported that Zimmerman wasn't making the agreed payments. Zimmerman's employer at the time, CarMax, agreed to garnish his wages. That arrangement was canceled in late 2008 because Zimmerman was no longer working there.

They could do it to mine. I put myself through college starting at age 25 (and I never considered myself 'college age' - most people around me were kids, as far as I was concerned.)

I did this while working nearly full time - and I have *always* paid my bills. Always. That was decades ago, today I still have an exceptionally high creedit rating.

Yes, not paying back money you borrow and promise to pay back *is* indicative of character. Not always, as some circumstances can influence. You can always work with CC companies to make payment. What you don't do is neglect it. That is what it appears Zimm did.

Sorry, I think it counts. The company was forced to take action due to his irresponsibility.

ITA. I bet his credit score is low because of it, too. I know a friend of mine who has had debt problems for years and has to have someone sign with her to get things like a car. I refused to do it when she asked me because I knew she wouldn't be able to keep up car payments due to her past history of never keeping up with any payments. Debt responsibility or irresponsibility does say a lot about a person's character. So does not being able to have a stable job. GZ is a very irresponsible person, IMO. It goes toward how he acted that night. If he was responsible, he would have waited for LE to show up, not try to handle the situation himself.

I don't think it can be stated enough how deeply relevant the above comment is to this entire Trayvon Martin tragedy.

If you think about it.

Only if you believe he was targeted due to his age/race/gender.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what the argument is about, other than it gets to be just for the sake of arguing.

If it happened in 2008, it would still be on his credit report so I guess that means it still counts. He wasn't a college kid, he was an adult who was going to college.

My ds at the age of 24 was in his full time job, after graduating college, his credit isn't reported any differently than GZ's at that age. My other ds, at the age of 28, is getting ready to graduate from grad school, his credit history isn't considered any different than his younger brother's who is out working.

JMHO

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/10/pf/credit_cards_college/index.htm

Credit card debt on campus
Unprepared students have been increasingly targeted by card issuers, and some lawmakers are taking notice.

<snipped for brevity>.
I have a college age son. In fact he graduates with Magna *advertiser censored* Laude in a few weeks

<proudly beaming>

I know CC companies send out apps. My son does not have a problem with that. You know why? I taught him well.

Teach your kids to take responsibility for what they do, and they don't go off pawning off their failures on someone else.

It doesn't matter how old he was. He admitted he had the debt, reached a settlement agreement, and then defaulted on that. It's all right here in black and white....

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/23/nation/la-na-nn-george-zimmerman-20120323

Zimmerman married Shellie Nicole Dean, a licensed cosmetologist, in late 2007.
The next year, he resurfaced in court documents as a credit-card company pursued him. Capital One accused Zimmerman of failing to pay more than $1,000. He settled with the company for $2,135.82, records show, to cover his debts with interest, as well as attorney and court costs. The credit card company soon reported that Zimmerman wasn't making the agreed payments. Zimmerman's employer at the time, CarMax, agreed to garnish his wages. That arrangement was canceled in late 2008 because Zimmerman was no longer working there.

It does to me.

ITA. I bet his credit score is low because of it, too. I know a friend of mine who has had debt problems for years and has to have someone sign with her to get things like a car. I refused to do it when she asked me because I knew she wouldn't be able to keep up car payments due to her past history of never keeping up with any payments. Debt responsibility or irresponsibility does say a lot about a person's character. So does not being able to have a stable job. GZ is a very irresponsible person, IMO. It goes toward how he acted that night. If he was responsible, he would have waited for LE to show up, not try to handle the situation himself.
Zactly.

I have a college age son. In fact he graduates with Magna *advertiser censored* Laude in a few weeks

<proudly beaming>

I know CC companies send out apps. My son does not have a problem with that. You know why? I taught him well.

Teach your kids to take responsibility for what they do, and they don't go off pawning off their failures on someone else.

ITA!!!!! BBM. That is it right there, that last sentence! Just hitting the thanks button wasn't enough for this post!

<proudly beaming>

Congrats to you and your son. Honors is GREAT!

But, people can pretend the problem doesn't occur. That's fine. But I'm here to tell you that it does and a lot of people have taken notice.

As far as character, If I met a 28 year old person, and found out they had defaulted on a $1,000 credit card debt 4 years ago, that would not change my views of them as a person. Because, I know what can happen.
I've seen people who have defaulted. I have had my financial struggles myself.
Medical bills can be a killer FWIW. Even to hard working, responsible, tax paying, insured people.

There are circumstances in everybody's life that differ from others.

Thanks for all the information; however, it doesn't make a hill of beans to me how he received the credit card. The fact is that he acknowledged the debt, reached a settlement for a certain amount, defaulted, and then the card company stated he had quit his job when his wages were to be garnished. I personally could care less if he filed for bankruptcy but this whole thing goes to the type of person that he is and that he clearly has a problem following the rules. His father stated at some point that he was making $10,000 a month yet he couldn't pay off a measly $2000 settlement that he made with the company? Irresponsible and lack of regard for the law is what Zimmerman is.

~jmo~

Was he making the $10,000 per month before or after the default?

Not to mention that once he made the settlement arrangements and his pay was set to be garnished, he quit the job. Sounds extremely irresponsible to me and also enhances my thinking that Zimmerman has trouble following rules.

~jmo~

Because I used to work in payroll I had to deal with garnishments on a daily basis. If the credit card company sued GZ then they no doubt had a judgement against him, which would lead to the garnishment from his employer. This garnishment would follow him to the next employer. If the credit card company didn't get a judgement and it was only an agreement between them and GZ, then when he left his job the cc company would then go back to court for the judgement. What I don't know is if FL allows for wage garnishments for cc debt. If they don't, then a cc company with a judgement would then take steps to recoup what is owed to them by a sheriff sale of anything that GZ owned and allowed by law.

I think a high percentage of people in their 20's have had financial issues in their young lives.

I really don't see this CC default coming up at trial anyway.
It's a nonissue to the case really.

JMO

I have no clue. Sounds like they are.
They target them that's for sure.

So does that mean that the credit card companies think I'm 21 because I'm getting applications on a regular basis. I think credit card companies target anyone who they feel will pay their bill. College students are a safe bet because companies figure they have the money (or their parents do) and they will be getting good jobs after graduation. It's a gamble they are willing to take. They really aren't a target. They are considered new customers. Where else would you expect to find new customers when the older ones like me say..."I have enough, thank you"? jmo

Ok... Lets move on past the conversation about GZ's credit.

:tyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member