LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice all of the white vehicles, including pick ups. Shows what a needle in a haystack the white truck is :(

You're right. I would get an adrenalin rush of fear every time a white truck was near my vehicle when DTL was on the loose. Once one seemed to be following me and I pulled into someone's driveway, the owner there was gardening and he asked if he could help me. I told him no, but thanks, I was just afraid that the white truck was following me and I was going to a little inhabited area to see a patient!

By in-lane, I mean ON the interstate, not at the truck lanes for the weight station. Every vehicle (and plate) going east bound is caught on camera (if working).

I wonder if they would catch someone on that exit.

Thank you and your local perspective is great.

Do you think all three pics of the white truck are the same white truck?

I'm sorry, I really haven't focused on that. I'm checking back here a couple times a day to catch up. I want to go out to check the river again (I'm partially disabled and can't do the hiking searches, which is why I searched by boat), but if it's true that the bike has been found, I may take my boat to Whiskey Bay now. Need to see if the police are making a search grid, so I can check places everyone else hasn't already checked. the Atchfalaya is BIIIG. Gonna need all the boats they can get. But I'm glad that there is a lot of debate on the truck. The more minds, the better.

Good God, what was a beautiful girl like Mickey thinking to be riding her bike alone at that time of night! Not safe, not safe at all! Makes me sick!

Hopefully there will be prints on the bike and there will be a match somewhere!

Hopefully there will be DNA evidence on the bike. The handgrips are an obvious place to look since they are a softer, porous material that can hold DNA. Most of the bike itself may be a different issue, since it's tougher for DNA to cling to a hard surface and can be washed off. Have there been any hard rains since Mickey disappeared? There's also the possibility of the bike being shielded under the bridge which would help to preserve any DNA.

Hey guys. This is the first posting in the forum, but I have read up on every post thus far in each thread. Here is my shot at it.

The map you posted above is accurate, but.
http://goo.gl/maps/KWkG

The direction that this person was heading, if it were the white truck seen, takes him directly to the I-10 exit east. I used to live right off of St. Landry, only blocks away from where this happened. Usually, people only take a few routes with their bikes to get to congress. You either go through what the locals call the "St. Streets", you can take St. Landry all the way down, passed Blackham Coliseum to Cajundome Blvd (which is SKETCHY), or you can cut over to Johnston Street from St. Landry. I did the math using Google Maps Directions, and the only way plausible for him to pick her up assuming she is not in the bed of the truck at the time the picture was taken of the white truck making a left onto university, is if he made the left onto University. . and then made another left further down to take him into the St. Streets where he waited for Mickey to pass by. Then, he will still be easily accessible to go towards this exit after abducting her. Those are my two cents, and that is ONLY IF it is her bike in the basin. Also, that basin is common for murders or bodies to be dropped off. It's really sad :(
Welcome to WS, T3kt3hgrrl.

Great first post.

Great first-time posters on these threads, thank you Louisiana!

The quickest way to stay abreast of the unfolding events is probably via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/katctv3

Per comment attached, there seems to be camaras on that bridge, if so....LE will be able to see every vehicle. Problem is when was bike put there? I'd presume shortly after she was abducted, but it could have been days afterward. :sigh:

Hopefully there will be DNA evidence on the bike. The handgrips are an obvious place to look since they are a softer, porous material that can hold DNA. Most of the bike itself may be a different issue, since it's tougher for DNA to cling to a hard surface and can be washed off. Have there been any hard rains since Mickey disappeared? There's also the possibility of the bike being shielded under the bridge which would help to preserve any DNA.

Yes, we had rain on Monday. But it's been dry since then.

You're right. I would get an adrenalin rush of fear every time a white truck was near my vehicle when DTL was on the loose. Once one seemed to be following me and I pulled into someone's driveway, the owner there was gardening and he asked if he could help me. I told him no, but thanks, I was just afraid that the white truck was following me and I was going to a little inhabited area to see a patient!

Well, I don't know about you, Isabelle, but for me it's back to being scared of white (4 door) trucks and just in case...cars like that 4 door Cadillac-looking car.

I'm sorry, I really haven't focused on that. I'm checking back here a couple times a day to catch up. I want to go out to check the river again (I'm partially disabled and can't do the hiking searches, which is why I searched by boat), but if it's true that the bike has been found, I may take my boat to Whiskey Bay now. Need to see if the police are making a search grid, so I can check places everyone else hasn't already checked. the Atchfalaya is BIIIG. Gonna need all the boats they can get. But I'm glad that there is a lot of debate on the truck. The more minds, the better.

Chicken fried,

It would be interesting to find out exactly where the bike was found. You were out there last tuesday to search the water. I am sure if that bike was just lying out in the open alongside the road, that you would have seen it, or someone else would have. Seems odd it was just found now.

You are a saint, ChickenFried. Thank you.

Good luck! I hope for the best.

Yes, we had rain on Monday. But it's been dry since then.

What JW said. Though it makes you wonder when the bike was put there. She went missing early Saturday morning. If it was dropped off recently, then it's possible that the bike had remained in a dry place, like inside the back of a covered truck bed (for example) There could indeed be evidence on the bike itself even if the person thought to wipe it down and wear gloves. Chili Fries is right on the handgrips. Here's to hoping.

This is quite an interesting development. From the way the locals are describing this area, it would be common knowledge to locals that this specific area would be a difficult area to search. She has been missing for over a week now and it somehow feels convenient to find her bike in this place. Very possible this could be a misdirection attempt, can't discount that angle.

Frogzilla makes an excellent point. I agree that the suspect could have planted the bike in an attempt to divert police. Nonetheless, LE must search the Basin, but I must admit that it is a very vast area. If the perp doesn't have knowledge of the basin or access to a boat, I suspect more evidence will be found fairly quickly considering this was DTL demise. However, he could be using diversion techniques on authorities.

Actually, I searched the Vermilion River. Whiskey Bay exit boat ramp is gateway to the Atchafalaya Basin..... many miles away. And definitely should have been one of the very first places searched, after Derrick Todd Lee, or else this is a law-enforcement failure. You couldn't design a better place for a perp to do his deeds. Not wanting to impugn the great effort by local LEOs, I have to think the bike was dumped recently.

This is quite an interesting development. From the way the locals are describing this area, it would be common knowledge to locals that this specific area would be a difficult area to search. She has been missing for over a week now and it somehow feels convenient to find her bike in this place. Very possible this could be a misdirection attempt, can't discount that angle.

^^THIS

Could be an attempt at misdirection. Her abductor, no doubt, knows that that serial killer left bodies out there, so it's a known dumping ground.

I wonder if they would catch someone on that exit.

To my knowledge there's not a camera at that exit but he would have to go under the cameras earlier on his route to get to the Whiskey Bay exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni