The case for murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
From SophieRose's link:

The San Diego Sheriff's Department tells Fox 5 it has decided not to re-examine Rebecca Zahau's cell phone, and called recent claims of 'earwitnesses' hearing her cry for help the night she died irrelevant.

Another snippet from the same article:

Lt. Nesbit said the only way Zahau's phone could be examined would be to dismantle it, and the department deemed that was unnecessary, adding there's "nothing on the phone central to the evidence. We don't have any unanswered questions."

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ks...ds-to-zahau-attorney-20111001,0,4865783.story

Nesbit said those people were interviewed, but concluded "we don't think it's relevant."

The main reason, Nesbit said, was a group of teens were outside when the cry was heard. Those witnesses told detectives they couldn't decipher if the scream was from the Spreckels mansion or those teenagers.

Well now I can understand why they think it is irrelevant information if both witnesses don't know whether it came from the mansion or from a group of teenagers that were outside at the time. I have never known teenagers that remain quiet when they get together in groups.

I think you are missing the point. Whether an inventory is sealed or not really is irrelevant because the items seized in a search warrant are returned to the person who was served the search warrant. Whether it be clothing, phones, soccer ball, doesn't really matter.

JMO

Link please, as this was not a murder investigation and SDSO declared the case closed.

I agree - RZ's family should make a formal, legal request via their attorney for the return of her property - including her cell phone.

They shouldn't have to make a formal, legal request through an attorney, according to the links on this thread.

For crying out loud - it's a Samsung cell phone, not the friggin' Hope Diamond!

Who cares about a freakin' will? It's not as if it was valuable property- or is it? Hmmmmm...

Secrets can be considered to be VERY valuable by those who wish to keep them secret.

Gosh - I'm beginning to get curious about what may be on that phone.

I have been for quite some time Sorrell. Especially after it stated in one article, that the planner/calendar on Rebecca's phone had ES and GS leaving at noon that day, not six am.

Did she even have a will? because if she didn't, her next of kin would be expected to get whatever belongings or property she has.

Who is considered the legal next-of-kin?
Absent a legal document designating a person or persons to make decisions after their death, the legal next-of-kin is defined by law as the person responsible for making decisions regarding what will happen to the decedent after their death. The law states that the legal next-of-kin is based solely upon a person’s relationship to the decedent prior to their death. The first legal next-of-kin would be the spouse, (husband or wife), followed by any adult children, the decedent s parent(s), and finally the decedent’s siblings, (brothers or sisters).

How do I reclaim property obtained by the Medical Examiner-Coroner's Office?
The Medical Examiner-Coroner may be in possession of personal property belonging to a decedent. The legal next-of-kin may authorize the Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office to release the property to a funeral home or mortuary, or they may obtain the property (or authorize another person to obtain the property) directly from the Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office. In order for a funeral home/mortuary to obtain personal property at the time they pick up the decedent, the legal next-of-kin must complete and sign a Properly Release Form which may be obtained through the Forms tab on the Coroner’s Office website. The Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office will release property directly to the legal next-of-kin or any person (with valid photo ID) furnishing written authorization signed by the legal next-of-kin.

Thank you, great post and should dispel all doubts as to ownership of the phone and the ability of the family to acquire the phone, once the case was closed on Sept. 22.

Hopefully, that will be the next action taken. As far as I'm concerned, that should have been done weeks ago, before the SDCSD latched onto the "new software" claim.

Here's the thing: It's curiously convenient that the SDCSD is now claiming to be conducting an examination of the phone with *new technology* that was *unavailable* a few weeks ago when the case was closed & deemed to be a suicide. It's even more curious that the SDCSD announced this sudden knowledge of new software right about the time that RZ's family was wanting the phone to be released to them.

Even if the family's attorney makes a legal request for the phone, the SDCSD can now stall, with the excuse that they're "examining" it. Very convenient, IMO.

Well the timing was interesting, was it not?

From SophieRose's link:

The San Diego Sheriff's Department tells Fox 5 it has decided not to re-examine Rebecca Zahau's cell phone, and called recent claims of 'earwitnesses' hearing her cry for help the night she died irrelevant.

Another snippet from the same article:

Lt. Nesbit said the only way Zahau's phone could be examined would be to dismantle it, and the department deemed that was unnecessary, adding there's "nothing on the phone central to the evidence. We don't have any unanswered questions."

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ks...ds-to-zahau-attorney-20111001,0,4865783.story

Again the links listed should dispel the posts pertaining to the ownership of the phone and the ability of the family to obtain the phone.

I think neither the family nor JS should get back any of the evidence/ items taken from the scene. The family should be given a copy of the police file as soon as possible though, so that they can fully understand and comprehend what was done in the investigation.

As even LE has often stated this is a highly unusual case and they have done a terrible job in illuminating the family and the public as to exactly what happened.

The evidence can be examined by a NEUTRAL third party for a thorough and professional re-investigation.

Nesbit said those people were interviewed, but concluded "we don't think it's relevant."

The main reason, Nesbit said, was a group of teens were outside when the cry was heard. Those witnesses told detectives they couldn't decipher if the scream was from the Spreckels mansion or those teenagers.

Well now I can understand why they think it is irrelevant information if both witnesses don't know whether it came from the mansion or from a group of teenagers that were outside at the time. I have never known teenagers that remain quiet when they get together in groups.

did they try to find and interview the teens though to verify if it had been one of them who screamed for help?

did they try to find and interview the teens though to verify if it had been one of them who screamed for help?

I dont know but surely if they were outside in a group they would have been the first to hear a scream since sound travels outside much far and can be heard much clearer than if someone is inside hearing it.

IMO

http://www.alcocklaw.com/criminal-l...izona-locals-captivates-coronado-ca-community

FYI: This is one of the articles siting GS's highschool bud (AP) -AND- vacationing Coronado Island neighbor. It also lists a neighbor(JA) who resdides 2 doors down from the mansion. I would expect LE would have interviewed both men.

I think the RZ family and attorney should let the Coronado Island locals know that they will be at a local coffee shop some Saturday or Sunday, and would like to talk to anyone with info. Put up signs with email/phone info. Since it sounds like many locals don't even know this is not a done deal. However, this should have been done before the Summer crowd moved back home.......

Well at least the good news is, after the new software "didn't work," they decided not to dismantle the phone.
That's a relief. Give it back to the family!

Well at least the good news is, after the new software "didn't work," they decided not to dismantle the phone.
That's a relief. Give it back to the family!

IIRC they already dismantled the phone early on. Sorry, no link, just something I remember reading. Perhaps they've already destroyed evidence? JMO

IIRC they already dismantled the phone early on. Sorry, no link, just something I remember reading. Perhaps they've already destroyed evidence? JMO

No, they examined it without software by turning it on. They didn't dismantle it.

I dont know but surely if they were outside in a group they would have been the first to hear a scream since sound travels outside much far and can be heard much clearer than if someone is inside hearing it.

IMO

but if the police haven't spoken to the teenagers, then how would they (LE) know that they haven't heard anything? sometimes, witnesses don't say anything till months or even years after a case goes nowhere or has been closed. i'm not saying this is the same in this situation, but one would hope that those teenagers would have been interviewed to see if one of them was the person who screamed for help, and also just to check if they'd heard or seen anything unusual that night.

My Psychic two cents worth...

When I read the energy of DS's sister I get that she was genuinely concerned for Rebecca and her reason for coming by that night was because she understood how ostracised and upset Rebecca might be. I think she witnessed both DS & JS anger towards RZ and was able to step back emotionally. I also pick up energy that she suspects JS. She doesn't like him and knows how he treated her own sister. In fact it is too bad DS's sister did not get to visit with RZ. Her presence even if she left immediately when JS possibly arrived could have altered the course of that evening.

I sense that JS has a very smooth mask on the surface and he has become adept at being in control of people and situations. (not unlike his actual physical appeaerance) Underneath he has a great deal of rage. This is a very angry man. I sense he has no remourse for killing RZ and feels completely justified. He completely blames her for the death of his son and he doesn't care if LE thinks it was an accident. As far as he is concerned RZ FAILED. He continues his hate for her and always will. As far as he is concerned she has nearly ruined his life. This is a man that rarely takes responsibility for his actions... he always has someone to blame. He feels vastly superior to his fellow man. He is quite pleased with the bungling of LE as this suits him just fine.

Anne Bremner is a huge thorn in his side. It will take years but Anne Bremner will take him down eventually. She is relentless and this is not just about money for her. While funds are needed to fuel a new investigation.... she wants justice. Privately she believes JS killed RZ and she won't stop until she proves it. Mark my words she will bring him down. I believe DS and her sister will eventually come forward with what they know. DS is a very spiteful woman. The brother will become increasingly mentally ill... when I read his energy he is just sick inside over this. Unfortuntealy I think he will snap mentally and be of little use to the case.

There are many people who have little clues and they are not quite aware of it yet. These things will eventually come to the surface and begin to nag and nag them. The ones with the least dependency on JS will come forward privately... even anonymously to Anne.

It is very possible that because of the brother's mental illness that JS will not be held criminally responsible. However a civil lawsuit for wongfull death will end up being settled privately but that will be years away.

JS will manage to hold onto his company but it will not be nearly as successful and he will be a man scorned. He will die of cancer in his 60's. Once JS dies AS will finally tell the truth but his mental state will cast doubt on the story.

The house will remain haunted and will never be lived in as a private residence again. The child Max has moved on... but RZ will haunt that house.... the scenes energy will be replayed over and over again in that room. When I reach out to her energy... she simply can not comprehend what happened to her and who did it. The result of the civil trial will somewhat calm her spirit but because she never gets true justice.. as I said her energy will haunt that mansion. Men in particular will suffer there... and men don't speak up about these things. In fact... there is a law enforcement officer that has already had an experience there.

There is also another ghost in the guest house...that I pick up on.. no one likes that guest house. I am getting that someone drowned.... it is not the drowned person's energy that haunts the guest house... it is someone that loved the drowned person very much... and their energy keeps going back to the gues house to try and find the drowned person... the drowned person was a male... and the one that goes back to find him is also a male. This happened a very long time ago in the early years of that house.

Hidden toys. There are toys in that mansion that are hidden and they will not be moved out of the house. They will appear at odd times. They are Max's. RZ actually moves themn around as she was the only other person to know about them. It is very true that Max and RZ had a very strong bond.

JS violence toward RZ was a secret but she never expected this deadly explosion. In the photo's of JS & RZ.....there is a mark on RZ's arm near the elbow... was that a birthmark.... I do get that someone wants this pointed out...

JS & AS... the father is brutal... just brutal with those boys.... before JS dies he will have great remorse for his actions... and what happened to RZ...she actually loved him in her naive way...

JS's other two children will not lead peaceful lives... they will be scrutinized because of their father.

The Coronado police Chief... just berfoe he dies...will make a private statement to his wife about the case.. he was very unhappy JS was not investigated for the possibility of murder. This is STANDARD in any death case that the spouse be throughly investigated. The wife or one of his children will eventually say something to someone writing a book about this.

Oh and the dog... Ocean... has a new name... and will live a happy dog life.

No, they examined it without software by turning it on. They didn't dismantle it.

Now, I'll have to look for the link. I distinctly remember they stated their "phone" person opened it when they were attempting to ascertain who the voice mail came from. It might have been the AR, the PC. Not sure, but will look! :seeya:

but if the police haven't spoken to the teenagers, then how would they (LE) know that they haven't heard anything? sometimes, witnesses don't say anything till months or even years after a case goes nowhere or has been closed. i'm not saying this is the same in this situation, but one would hope that those teenagers would have been interviewed to see if one of them was the person who screamed for help, and also just to check if they'd heard or seen anything unusual that night.

The kid in the article is an AZ classmage with GS. He knows exactly what happened that night at his party. It was a Tuesday night - doubt a huge bash as not on weekend. Was it just a bunch of boys, or girls too? Did any female scream for help? The kids and his parents (if present) should remember. If this did not happen, then LE must think it came from the mansion.

Also, where did the neighbor live who heard the scream from his den?

Did any residents walking their dog hear a female yell for help?

Who was woman at mansion around 10 PM?

Did AS hear anything - music, woman scream?

Again, the Coronado Residents need to be informed that this case is not a done deal, and there are events that make one suspect murder. And if JS /DS aliby not 100% verified then LE must reopen case.

Now, I'll have to look for the link. I distinctly remember they stated their "phone" person opened it when they were attempting to ascertain who the voice mail came from. It might have been the AR, the PC. Not sure, but will look! :seeya:

Talking to myself here, but here's one reference. There are probably more.

* “Once we found out that the technology did not exist to forensically examine the phone, the detective manually opened the phone and learned that the message had been deleted; and she knew from prior case experience that if the message had been deleted from the phone, it would not have been stored on an AT&T server,” Nesbit said.
* Nesbit explained further that the voicemail “is not stored on the phone itself but once it’s deleted from the phone, after a certain number of days it’s also deleted from the AT&T server; and at that point it had been at least a week and she (the detective) knew that it was no longer on the server.“

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2011/09/22/rebecca-zahau-case-a-case-of-assumptions-and-factoids/

By manually opened I think they meant "turned it on."

I was thinking about the bed... at least one of the far legs should have dragged along the carpet.. if not several... the one leg that the rope was tied too could "lift" with the intial stress... but two or three legs should have dragged the eight inches...

and BLACK paint... such a MALE colour for the note on the door.... in my mind a woman would choose a different colour especially a creative woman.... and wth RZ's blue eye makeup.... why not blue or at least RED to symbolize how badly she is hurting that she feels she must take her life... but black... and block letters.... so inexpressive..

the death scene is so MALE....!!

In fact I think this is partly why LE is missing the point here.... they can "relate" to a male suicide... and so this makes sense to them..... but this is a woman...

oh yeah... a murder staged as suicide by a male...

I doubt it takes more than a couple of hours but I also doubt we would be told the results if all it does is confirm their already announced conclusion of suicide.

JMO

With all the public doubts surrounding the case, I am certain if the RZ's cellphone voicemail confirmed LE's findings, LE would expeditiously announce the confirmation to the media and the public. It would be a self-congratulatory, self-righteous "I told you so! We did our job right!" Why would they hide confirmation that would bolster their findings? However, if the voicemail did not match their hypothesis, they would suppress this voicemail as this would further reinforce questions about their competency.

:websleuther:

* “Once we found out that the technology did not exist to forensically examine the phone, the detective manually opened the phone and learned that the message had been deleted; and she knew from prior case experience that if the message had been deleted from the phone, it would not have been stored on an AT&T server,” Nesbit said.
* Nesbit explained further that the voicemail “is not stored on the phone itself but once it’s deleted from the phone, after a certain number of days it’s also deleted from the AT&T server; and at that point it had been at least a week and she (the detective) knew that it was no longer on the server.“
http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2011/09/22/rebecca-zahau-case-a-case-of-assumptions-and-factoids/

BBM

I want this question answered.

Why did LE wait SO LONG to look at the phone? As LE, you question everyone and corroborate their stories. JS claims to have left a message on the phone that (according to their report) led RZ to kill herself, and LE waits --until it is too late--to prove or disprove JS' account of what he said was in the voicemail message.

If they contacted the provider as soon as they learned this message was left, they would have learned that the message would drop off the server after a few days.

How many investigators were on this case? Sheesh.

They had 7 days to retrieve that message from the phone company and they didn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BossJoss