Last remaining Titanic survivor Millvina Dean dies at 97

Paintr

Reaction score
http://www.timescolonist.com/Last+remaining+Titanic+survivor+Millvina+Dean+dies/1648923/story.html

LONDON — Millvina Dean, the last remaining survivor of the sinking of the Titanic, died Sunday at a care home in England, the BBC reported, citing two of her friends. She was 97.

Dean was a two-month-old baby and her family were emigrating to Kansas when the Titanic sank after hitting an iceberg in the Atlantic Ocean on its maiden voyage in 1912.

The sinking of the Titanic happened on the same day as my birthday. As a child the story of this ship fascinated me because of that connection. Now the last of her passengers is gone. RIP MS Dean.

1648917.bin

Millvina Dean

My grandfather (who is now deceased) saved the special edition newspaper that came out the day after the Titanic sunk. He told me the paper boy stood out on the corner giving out papers from the back of his horse and buggy - very different times. My grandmother gave it to me yrs ago because I am a bit of a history 'buff' and save, collect stuff like that.

It is sad and nostaligic to think all the survivors are gone. I was thinking about that the other day with WWII - I will probably live to see the last WWII vet pass away. It just doesn't seem that long ago but it was.

Was talking to a vet the other day and he was talking about how there are fewer WW II vets every year for Rememberance Day (Canada) ceremonies.

It is nice that you have the newspaper. Can't be too many of those around.

On our Denver news station, they mentioned that Kate Winslett and Leonardo DiCapprio (sp) both paid towards some of Ms. Dean's care in her last years. I am not sure how much either contributed, but it was heartwarming to hear.

May she rest in peace.

On our Denver news station, they mentioned that Kate Winslett and Leonardo DiCapprio (sp) both paid towards some of Ms. Dean's care in her last years. I am not sure how much either contributed, but it was heartwarming to hear.

May she rest in peace.

May she rest in peace. She lived a long life and I hope it was a happy one.

It is wonderful to hear that Leo and Kate donated to her care the last few years. Very generous and kind to do that. It shows you the kindness of some people, even actors.

gozgals

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288