"Lost Girls" author Bob Kolker on Tricia's True Crime Radio Sun Oct 6th 8 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn sorry I missed it. I have a question if you don't mind. The FBI can take this case over if it wants too, correct? Any reason why they haven't?

Thanks for answering the questions, Bob. That was great.

My impression in general about [Johnny Terry] is that most anything he says requires outside verification.

Very diplomatically put. :)

Also, have you spoken with TS? Probably most knowledgable person about this case.

Bob, have you ever looked into the deaths of Rita Tangredi Beinlich and Jamie Diane Seymour in connection with this case? If so, can you tell us what you've discovered about those cases.

Just wanted to tell any other folks on here that Kolker's book is a really, really incredible piece of work. This might sound trite and/or hyperbolic, but Lost Girls really transcends true crime. I've already recommended the book to many friends who have little interest in the subject.

If you haven't picked it up yet, please do so. It's a really important look at marginalized America.

Just wanted to tell any other folks on here that Kolker's book is a really, really incredible piece of work. This might sound trite and/or hyperbolic, but Lost Girls really transcends true crime. I've already recommended the book to many friends who have little interest in the subject.

If you haven't picked it up yet, please do so. It's a really important look at marginalized America.

I totally agree! This book is quite incredible and very well written to boot. Kolker has done a remarkable job researching and following up on leads and tracking the seemingly innumerable amount of people involved for interviews. I also like that his own opinions don't get inserted into the mix and is able to explain things from a neutral standpoint — something that tends to be a rarity these days in our world of sensationalistic media reporting. A great piece of work, in my opinion!

Sent via my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more question, Bob. According to Missy, Maureen called her from Penn Station. Can you clear up how this was originally reported as NYPA Bus Terminal? Did that info come from Sarah, or was it simply a mistake?

Hi - An April 2011 NY Post article did say Maureen called her sister from Port Authority. But in my interviews with Maureen's sister, she said it was Penn Station. It makes more sense that it was Penn Station, because Maureen's friend Sara told me that she often took the train (not the bus) to New York -- and she had taken the train there that last weekend.

Hi - An April 2011 NY Post article did say Maureen called her sister from Port Authority. But in my interviews with Maureen's sister, she said it was Penn Station. It makes more sense that it was Penn Station, because Maureen's friend Sara told me that she often took the train (not the bus) to New York -- and she had taken the train there that last weekend.

Excellent info, Mr. Kolker. Thanks so much.

I find this a little odd because there are no trains from Penn station to Connecticut. Coming and going by train from NYC to Connecticut would involve Grand Central Terminal.

I find this a little odd because there are no trains from Penn station to Connecticut. Coming and going by train from NYC to Connecticut would involve Grand Central Terminal.

I think Mr. Kolker was implying that Maureen just preferred trains to buses. As a resident of New York, I'm pretty sure he's aware of the differences between Grand Central and Penn.

When I lived in Boston, I would take buses to NYC all the time. I would've MUCH preferred to take a train. I just couldn't afford it.

I think Mr. Kolker was implying that Maureen just preferred trains to buses. As a resident of New York, I'm pretty sure he's aware of the differences between Grand Central and Penn.

When I lived in Boston, I would take buses to NYC all the time. I would've MUCH preferred to take a train. I just couldn't afford it.

Hi Buzzaround, BeachBoy clearly says it makes more sense to him that she was at Penn station because she preferred the train to NYC, and that she was using the train that weekend. Since it's not possible to go by train from Penn station to Connecticut, I find it odd MBB would be there when it was time she wanted to go home.

Amtrak has several stops in CT (inc. New London, close to Norwich) and runs out of Penn station.

Thanks to everyone for your messages. I appreciate it and I'm glad you're finding the book helpful in some way. Here are some responses to the questions people have asked so far:

- You asked for more impressions of Brewer. I hope the interview from the book reveals at least something about him -- how evasive and defiant and self-serving he is; how eager he is to talk about how great he is; how uninterested he is in considering any possible role (even unwitting) he might have played in Shannan's death; how he believes himself to be a hero in this story (!).

Bob

Brewer has always been my favorite (yuck) POI. He easily could have gotten away with many murders IMO. He was so lucky that LE didn't search his house or vehicle until the first GB4 vic was found.
Do you know anything about the rumors of neighbors seeing a U-Haul in his driveway around the time SG disappeared? (Sorry if it was in the book).
Also, he seems to have many real estate holdings; places where IMO he could take a girl and maybe even hold her for awhile...
Can you tell us more about him? Where is he now? What is his employment history like? Do you know much about his childhood? Marital status?
Pak says at one point when he was inside Brewer's house, that Brewer grabbed Shannan around the waist ( or in a bear hug - can't remember the exact quote)...and she was saying they were trying to kill her...then she apparently broke free from his grasp and went stumbling down the steps - all while being on the phone with 911. Brewer says something like he was trying to calm her down...get her out of the house, whatever. What do you really think happened to her at that moment? What do you think happened to Shannan that night - Did she really get out of Brewer's house when Pak says she did? IOW, Brewer denies that she was there for sex, so IMO he's lying about everything. Does he have local connects that will cover for him...? Schoolyard chums that will lie to protect him? Friends in LE?...

Finally, (for now!) I'm gonna say/ask it, because we all are thinking it...what is the real story with Coletti? I've never had the heart to slam him because of his age and because he "says" he helped Shannan. I truly believe he knows waaaaaaay more than he has admitted to.
The gate to Oak Beach - is in Coletti's control. The tapes that were lost or erased or recorded over were in Coletti's control. Who is the bigger demon - Brewer, Coletti, or Hackett? Please answer if you are comfortable with the questions and please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks again BB for joining us!

snipped -

The, to me, only new significant info was that Kolker stated that NO voice recording had been done concerning the killers phonecalls to Melissa Barthelemy's little sister. And if that turn out to be true WHAT A SHAME...SHAME ON THE POLICE !!!

Its hard to believe with all the calls made to the Barthelemy family as well as the months worth of harassing calls according to the BF, that a recording wasn't made at some point. Of course they didn't quite know what they were dealing with at the time and I guess I can see this mistake happening. Its also strange that it took over three years for this info (if correct) to come to light. I never heard the question asked in all the press conferences.

I haven't read the book yet but plan to, so I don't know if a recording not being made is mentioned much less the source of that info.

Hi I read Lost Girls but this is my first time posting on this forum. I have never seen a case such as this. I am now convinced that LE is doing their darnedest not to solve it.

I could understand at first not releasing a lot of information to the public, but it has been 2 years and, as far as I know, LE has gotten nowhere with this case. LE immediately dismissed some rather sketchy people as having nothing to do with the killings. I just don't get it. I do not understand how one case can have so many just plain odd people surrounding it. Is there not a single straight-forward person connected to this case? Heck, even Oak Beach itself is odd.

I was looking on google earth and I cannot for the life of me figure out how the marsh where Shannan was found was not searched for an entire year. It is not that big and it is certainly not in the middle of nowhere! How can that be that no one looked there? I honestly am baffled as to how every single person who was close to Shannan did not buy some rubber boots and march out there. I am equally baffled that no one from LE went out there right away, or that no one from Oak Beach went out there. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

And I am quite sick of hearing about how this marsh was some impassable death trap of quick sand and plants that will kill you. Bull. It is just a weedy area that is a little wet, and it is also the exact place anyone with a half a brain would have expected Shannan to be found. There is something just so absolutely rotten about this whole case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member