ME ME - Scott Sampson, 26, Portland, 13 November 1990

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
The murder of Scott Sampson remains unsolved 25 years later as his family publicizes the case hoping for new tips.

Portland Police File:

On November 13, 1990 at about 1:53 am Portland Police Officers responded to the Pine Street Variety at 64 Pine Street for an unconscious male on the sidewalk. When Officers arrived they found Scott Sampson deceased. It was later determined that Sampson’s death was a homicide. The cause of death is not being released.

Although it says that a cause of death is not being released, the recent article says that he was stabbed.

After 25 years, family, police still seek clues in unsolved Portland homicide

Friday, Nov. 13, is the 25th anniversary of the death of Scott Sampson, who was 26 when police found his body outside Pine Street Variety (now Aurora Provisions) around 2 a.m.

Sampson was declared dead at the scene. Assistant Police Chief Vern Malloch on Nov. 6 said the case is considered a homicide, although there was initial speculation it was a suicide. There were no witnesses, according to investigators.

“This was one of those cases that was frustrating from the beginning,” Malloch said. “There’s a lot of things we look to now we didn’t have then.”

Police have not released many details, including how Sampson died. His family, including his sister, Sandra Hill, said he was stabbed and left to die.

An article from 2014 has some different information that isn't mentioned in this recent update.

Cold case removed from Portland unsolved homicides list - March 2014

"There was a policeman driving down the street. He saw Scott (Sampson) with his bike and another person. Apparently, they were tussling. When the cop went back by and did another round, he saw Scott lying face down on the sidewalk. Apparently, he assumed he was drunk," said Lisa Maheux, the victim's former girlfriend.

Sampson was 26 years old when Portland police discovered his body on the sidewalk of Pine Street on Nov. 13, 1990. He had been stabbed in the stomach, according to family members.

If a police officer saw him tussling with another individual then wouldn't they be able to give a description of that person? Also wondering why they wouldn't attempt to stop the tussling. Again, this information isn't part of the recent article so it might not be completely accurate.

Support Cold Case Squad Maine - Facebook Page

014a11_9ae743b2c86c42cf9863b496b0a4824a.png_srz_140_141_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

If a police officer saw him tussling with another individual then wouldn't they be able to give a description of that person? Also wondering why they wouldn't attempt to stop the tussling. Again, this information isn't part of the recent article so it might not be completely accurate.

It sounds to me as if the policeman had to turn around first, maybe there was a divider in the middle of the road? And when he came back round the second person was gone?

But pretty bad that he just left him lying there, especially after he had witnessed him in a scuffle just moments before. And even if he hadn't seen that, why would he leave a man he thought was passed out drunk lying in the street?

He dropped the ball. Very sad. Maybe he could have saved him.

Yeah it probably was a road divider thing. For some reason I was picturing a 25 mph suburban street but there probably would have been witnesses. I agree about the poor decision making by the police officer.

I wonder why they initially thought it was suicide. I would think that self-inflicted fatal stab wounds would be highly unlikely. I believe it was to the stomach as well.

Son seeks answers in father's decades-old murder

http://wgme.com/news/i-team/cold-case-man-killed-in-downtown-portland

Kyle said his parents were split up and his dad had been dating a woman for the past year. From what he knows, Scott left his girlfriend's house in the early morning hours on November 13. She lived two blocks from Pine Street.

"He had like 6 stab wounds, I believe, and he was pretty much left for dead," Kyle said.

Police have never revealed the cause of death. Malloch said DNA testing was performed in the last few years.

"It's a classic unsolved case," Malloch said. "It's frustrating for detectives, it's immensely painful for his family."

Police believe the clues lie in the community.

Family still waiting on an answer.

Hill hopes a long silent witness or DNA can bring some closure for her family. It was their mother's last wish when she died in 2011.

"Conclusion is all she wanted. She didn't care about the jail time. She wanted to know why," Hill said.

Hill is urging anyone with information on her brother's death to call Portland police.

Maine family hopes for answers nearly 30 years after father of 2 killed

Nov 13 2023
1699889805372.png
''PORTLAND (WGME) -- Police have put out another plea for new clues in an unsolved Portland homicide from 1990.

Police say on November 13, 1990, around 2 a.m., they received a report an unconscious man on the sidewalk near Pine Street Variety at 64 Pine Street.''

Police However, his family told the Press Herald in 2015 that he was stabbed and left to die.''

If anyone has information, please call Portland Police Detective Hagerty at (207-874-8602)''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back