Giant tarantula discovered in Sri Lanka

Dark Knight

Reaction score
A large species of tarantula, roughly the size of an adult human face, has been discovered in Sri Lanka.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/giant-tarantula-discovered-sri-lanka-211813390.html

PRajaei.jpg

All I can say is that the nature is amazing, but I'm glad I'm not in Sri Lanka!

There has to be a lot of meat in that thing. I wonder if it tastes like chicken?

:what:
The regular size tarantulas are scary enough! This is a nightmare!!

i'm scared to death of spiders but my darn curiosity made me want to check this out. (shakes my head asking why do i do this to myself?)

i'm scared to death of spiders but my darn curiosity made me want to check this out. (shakes my head asking why do i do this to myself?)
then whatever you do - don't google Camel Spiders. These are in Iraq and the middle east - our military knows all about them. Scary scary stuff. They aren't really spiders but if you read up on them - they are nasty nasty creatures.

JMHO

lol i already did once. that was enough

I do not ever want to wake up with that thing on my face.

Taking visit to Sri Lanka off my bucket list.

There has to be a lot of meat in that thing. I wonder if it tastes like chicken?

When I read this, I was just about to post that after a certain size, they start reminding me of delicious crustaceans!

People do eat tarantulas, they eat them like they would crab legs, etc.

Tarantulas crunch when you step on them. Kind of like a water bug. Except I learned that you don't have to step on them hard enough to get their guts all over you...you just have to tap down lightly enough to crack their exoskeleton. They aren't fast movers (not like wolf spiders), unless they are small.

People have always been astounded that I raised my children without having to raise my voice much or ground them when they got older in order to get them to do the right thing.

I always joke with my kids that it's because they've seen me kill both water bugs (american cockroaches) and tarantulas with my bare feet. Yes, bare feet lol. When you've got kids on your hip or a room full of kids and no shoes on in the house---you just walk over and tap on it's body lightly with your foot and it cracks the exoskeleton. That way it "ain't" going anywhere until you can get it out of the house.

We had a nest of tarantulas under one of our old military quarters that we didn't know about until rainy season when the rain was so heavy they headed above the slab foundation to ride out the rain with us. I had 4 small kids and probably about mmmmm, 10 tarantulas in the house? Yes, I didn't run out of the house into the rain...I didn't run out of the room to go find my shoes. I just got to steppin---on them. LOL

ETA: I can't stand large wolf spiders. In west TX they are huge and they are fast. I call them the porsche of the spiderworld. One time I got a pajama top off a pile of clean laundry I had in the corner that I hadn't put away yet. Put in on to lay down and felt something tickling my chest area. I thought it was a string or something. Out popped a wolf spider about half the size of my palm. Yes---the neighbors heard me scream that time. :) And it sounded like a posse of men fighting in my bedroom as I chased the sucker around my bedroom ---they can move!

Tarantulas crunch when you step on them. Kind of like a water bug. Except I learned that you don't have to step on them hard enough to get their guts all over you...you just have to tap down lightly enough to crack their exoskeleton. They aren't fast movers (not like wolf spiders), unless they are small.

People have always been astounded that I raised my children without having to raise my voice much or ground them when they got older in order to get them to do the right thing.

I always joke with my kids that it's because they've seen me kill both water bugs (american cockroaches) and tarantulas with my bare feet. Yes, bare feet lol. When you've got kids on your hip or a room full of kids and no shoes on in the house---you just walk over and tap on it's body lightly with your foot and it cracks the exoskeleton. That way it "ain't" going anywhere until you can get it out of the house.

We had a nest of tarantulas under one of our old military quarters that we didn't know about until rainy season when the rain was so heavy they headed above the slab foundation to ride out the rain with us. I had 4 small kids and probably about mmmmm, 10 tarantulas in the house? Yes, I didn't run out of the house into the rain...I didn't run out of the room to go find my shoes. I just got to steppin---on them. LOL

ETA: I can't stand large wolf spiders. In west TX they are huge and they are fast. I call them the porsche of the spiderworld. One time I got a pajama top off a pile of clean laundry I had in the corner that I hadn't put away yet. Put in on to lay down and felt something tickling my chest area. I thought it was a string or something. Out popped a wolf spider about half the size of my palm. Yes---the neighbors heard me scream that time. :) And it sounded like a posse of men fighting in my bedroom as I chased the sucker around my bedroom ---they can move!

Agreed about wolf spiders! They are large and faster than any spider I have ever seen, and faster than many other small animals! They terrify me due the combo of size and blazing speed (and fangs that are huge!)

then whatever you do - don't google Camel Spiders. These are in Iraq and the middle east - our military knows all about them. Scary scary stuff. They aren't really spiders but if you read up on them - they are nasty nasty creatures.

JMHO
Since you said "don't google Camel Spiders".....of course....I've got to google Camel Spiders now! :blushing::seeya:

OMG Girl! Lend me some of your bravery and toughness! I live in Florida, but wasn't raised here. I can not stand "water-bugs" AKA "palmetto bugs". I'm a grown woman and literally run screaming out of the house if one gets in! There is NO WAY I could ever step on one - let alone with no shoes on! OMG! I feel faint just thinking about that! OY! You are brave, sister!

The one and only time I was brave enough to "get one" was one time when my hubby was out of town. I saw one about the size of a small dog climbing on the bedroom wall near my our bed! I had just vacuumed and the vacuum was still out, so I grabbed it and pointed the attachment hose at the wall and sucked that *advertiser censored* up in the vacuum cleaner. Then while the vacuum was still on I grabbed and sprayed a can of Bengal Roach spray up the hose (prolly sprayed half the can into the vacuum). Of course then I had to remove the vacuum cleaner completely from the house until hubby came home the next day and made sure I sucked the bug up and that he was dead! I put it on the front porch lol. Hubby came home and was like "why is the vacuum on the front porch?"

Yeah, I know. I'm crazy! I'm not scared of many bugs, but those palmetto bugs scare the living crap out of me! And I'm not a fan of large spiders either, but luckily in this part of Florida I haven't seen any. We have lots of Daddy Long Legs, but they are skinning and I can pick them up and fling them out the door with no problem. But I ain't steppin' on no palmetto bug or spider. Uh-uh. No ma'am. :blushing:

Since you said "don't google Camel Spiders".....of course....I've got to google Camel Spiders now! :blushing::seeya:

OMG! I google imaged. Holy carp! Of course the first picture my eyes went to was the one with the Camel Spider crawling across a guy's face! IY!!!

OMG Girl! Lend me some of your bravery and toughness! I live in Florida, but wasn't raised here. I can not stand "water-bugs" AKA "palmetto bugs". I'm a grown woman and literally run screaming out of the house if one gets in! There is NO WAY I could ever step on one - let alone with no shoes on! OMG! I feel faint just thinking about that! OY! You are brave, sister!

The one and only time I was brave enough to "get one" was one time when my hubby was out of town. I saw one about the size of a small dog climbing on the bedroom wall near my our bed! I had just vacuumed and the vacuum was still out, so I grabbed it and pointed the attachment hose at the wall and sucked that *advertiser censored* up in the vacuum cleaner. Then while the vacuum was still on I grabbed and sprayed a can of Bengal Roach spray up the hose (prolly sprayed half the can into the vacuum). Of course then I had to remove the vacuum cleaner completely from the house until hubby came home the next day and made sure I sucked the bug up and that he was dead! I put it on the front porch lol. Hubby came home and was like "why is the vacuum on the front porch?"

Yeah, I know. I'm crazy! I'm not scared of many bugs, but those palmetto bugs scare the living crap out of me! And I'm not a fan of large spiders either, but luckily in this part of Florida I haven't seen any. We have lots of Daddy Long Legs, but they are skinning and I can pick them up and fling them out the door with no problem. But I ain't steppin' on no palmetto bug or spider. Uh-uh. No ma'am. :blushing:

I'm not brave. Not at all. I was just by myself a lot of the time with 4 small kids in either countries or states where I didn't know anybody so I had to do something because of the kids. Not bravery just being a fierce mama bear.

Off topic but one time my middle daughter came running in the house when we lived in Texas and said "Mommy, mommy ******* (my middle son about age 6 at this time) is playing with a big worm out in the yard". So I head outside and there is ******* playing around with a snake about 2 feet long. I didn't even look to see what kind it was I just said "Son, gimmie that thing" and I walked out into the field behind the house and chucked it as far as I could. It was only after I took it from him I realized that it was just an ol' grass snake. That wasn't brave though, I was just getting it away from him and his sisters who are younger than him. One time I was walking in a creek as a teen and I watched a water moccasin swim between the legs of a friend standing near me. I was out of that water faster than anyone could have yelled snake. LOL Heck I didn't yell snake until I got to dry land. They said I moved so fast that they thought I was walking on the water. LOLOLOL

LOL @ "that *advertiser censored*" haha.

Its a pretty spider but I wouldn't want to be bitten by it. I am afraid of most spiders. Once at my daughter's school, I held a fairly large tarantula to get over my fear of spiders. Luckily, it didn't bite me. I was told that it rears up before it bites. But I was also told that if I dropped it, it could break off its legs and it might kill it. So, if it had reared up, what could I do? They would have never forgiven me if I'd caused harm to the school spider.

I actually like spiders - especially jumping spiders that are sort of cute if you take the time to look at their faces. They also have a brain that's, in proportion to body, about the same size as ours.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back