LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
wodalo, never assume. You seem to have done your homework and have presented some very plausible theories. Please report it to the tip line.
The FBI has come in on many missing persons investigations of late in various states due to their resources, experience, and IMO, the national focus on the increase of human trafficking & abductions. The BAU2/VICAP are a very valuable resource and have access to the big picture.

I know the mods don't like us to bring up the theory of abduction for sex trafficking, so I didn't want to say anything. But I think you're right to bring this up as a possibility.

When a poster yesterday mentioned some gangsta types have moved to the victim's area from New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina, that would increase the chances that some punk with connections to criminals in New Orleans could've abducted her. While the odds may not be high, I think it would be worthwhile for the New Orleans vice squad to do undercover surveillance of known pimps. Time could be of the essence. With as much attention as this case is getting, if a pimp has her, he would probably want to sell her off to a foreign buyer to get her out of here.

I know the mods don't like us to bring up the theory of abduction for sex trafficking, so I didn't want to say anything. But I think you're right to bring this up as a possibility.

When a poster yesterday mentioned some gangsta types have moved to the victim's area from New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina, that would increase the chances that some punk with connections to criminals in New Orleans could've abducted her. While the odds may not be high, I think it would be worthwhile for the New Orleans vice squad to do undercover surveillance of known pimps. Time could be of the essence. With as much attention as this case is getting, if a pimp has her, he would probably want to sell her off to a foreign buyer to get her out of here.
As someone pointed out several threads ago now, human traffickers obtain their cargo by tapping into the number of teen runaways, homeless women, and the like; they just are not in the business of kidnapping middle class young women, whose families will miss them and for whom LE will spend great amounts of time and effort and money looking.

This isn't a bad little link - just saw it on Twitter:

Mickey Shunick: What you need to know today (katc.com)

Six items covering the search; who LE needs to talk to; donations, etc. Good job KATC.

also on that link, there's a second picture of the 80's/90's car that we saw before.. this one is timestamped. It's a blurry photo, but one i personally haven't seen before. - I might have just missed it before. (click the photos, it's entitled "picture 3" in the slideshow)

As someone pointed out several threads ago now, human traffickers obtain their cargo by tapping into the number of teen runaways, homeless women, and the like; they just are not in the business of kidnapping middle class young women, whose families will miss them and for whom LE will spend great amounts of time and effort and money looking.

I'm almost ready to put this as my signature.

I'm going to be honest here and say I don't feel like going back and finding the quote but earlier people were discussing when the flier was put up near the bike location. The picture of it that I just looked at on the KATC website says "Come to 100 Ryan Street." Does anyone know if the fliers were changed after they moved to the Wisdom Center on campus?

Let? Send? She's a grown woman and I believe she can go where she wants when she wants. How many times had she ridden home before with no problems? It SHOULD be safe to ride your bike home. It really bothers me when the victim blaming begins.

Just my :twocents: and then I'm moving on. Yes, we all know that it wasn't really safe to ride a bike in that neighborhood at 2 AM. But don't we all do things that are pretty unsafe? It's pretty unsafe to get onto the interstate in your vehicle--plenty of people wreck and die. But when they do, even if they were in the wrong, it's considered pretty tacky to say "he/she should have known better."

Mickey was an adult, and by all accounts she had make this trip numerous times. She felt safe. Falsely, maybe, but I don't think she should be treated like a child who should have been kept at home against her will, and it isn't helping anything to say things that vent your frustration on her rather than on the unknown perp who deserves it.

bonbonbelle, in no way would I blame the victim Mickey Schunick for this unforseen tragedy, but maybe it should be discussed to prevent another future victim. Cyclists wear helments for protection & as a precaution to minimize head injury in case of an accident. Guess, the key word is precaution..

http://www.runmuki.com/commute/commuting14.html

SPECIAL SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS FOR WOMEN BICYCLISTS

A female "Bike Commuting Tips" visitor wrote:

Q- Hi Paul. I just read your online article about cycling for commuters [ ... ] I have tried to become informed about bicycle traffic safety and there are more than enough web pages on this subject. My main concern, however, is the traveling safety I may face as a young woman traveling alone on my bicycle.
(read more)

Let us avoid all rumors of whether remains were found, whether today, yesterday, or a week ago. It only muddies the waters, and confuses posters who are catching up with the thread. If LE announces they've found something, only then should that something be discussed at all.

I know theres an ignore poster button, can you direct me how to do that? No, it isnt you.
Thanks

The command center may not know what flyers were placed where or when due to people printing out flyers at home and then going about posting them around town.

That said, the person who posted the flyer down where the bike was found, knows when they posted it for sure. I hope he (I say he) has already come forward to LE with that information.

I know theres an ignore poster button, can you direct me how to do that? No, it isnt you.
Thanks
Hang on - getting new thread ready. I've never used the "ignore" thing - can anyone else help out here?

I'm going to be honest here and say I don't feel like going back and finding the quote but earlier people were discussing when the flier was put up near the bike location. The picture of it that I just looked at on the KATC website says "Come to 100 Ryan Street." Does anyone know if the fliers were changed after they moved to the Wisdom Center on campus?

Good eye. I just posted about this - not this this but this in general.
So, it would have been an early posting. But, wait, not necessarily because someone may have had those early print outs in their car and continued to post them. I hope the person who taped it there speaks to LE about it and if they had paid any attention to the area, etc.

Control Panel ---> Edit Ignore List

Yes - Control Panel can be found by clicking on Quick Links at the upper right of the screen.

At left of next screen there will be an "Edit Ignore List" - click on that, then fill in the blank on poster(s) you wish to ignore.

PLEASE CONTINUE OUR DISCUSSION OF THE MICKEY SHUNICK DISAPPEARANCE HERE:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173849"]LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012: #7[/ame]

Hang on - getting new thread ready. I've never used the "ignore" thing - can anyone else help out here?

Me neither but I think you have to go into your User CP and enter a request - not sure. Or you can just pass by a post rather quickly thus ignoring it. I like to read every post though.

10 years between cases would lead one to believe this person may have been incarcerated for some time before resuming his activities. That would lead to checking out RSO's released over the last year to sleuth. Now, 3 girls are missing in this area, two are filed under endangered runaways. With the internal investigation going on currently in Laf. it leaves one to wonder.

I read your post last night--been thinking about this all day. I read more than I post but heck, this truly is something to think about. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petoskey