CONVICTION OVERTURNED MO - Kent Heitholt, 48, found murdered, Columbia, 1 Nov 2001

Quick update.

Ryan's hearing has been set for April 16, 2012.

Quick update.

Ryan's hearing has been set for April 16, 2012.

There was a prelim. hearing Wednesday.
I am looking forward to next week-should be interesting.
I hope he gets a new trial or better yet the charges dropped and freed.

UPDATE: Ryan Ferguson won't testify in evidentiary hearing next week

JEFFERSON CITY — A Columbia man serving a 40-year sentence for the 2001 murder of a newspaper sports editor is returning to court with new evidence he hopes will prove his innocence, but he won't take the stand in his own defense.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/s...n-wont-testify-evidentiary-hearing-next-week/

There was a prelim. hearing Wednesday.
I am looking forward to next week-should be interesting.
I hope he gets a new trial or better yet the charges dropped and freed.

UPDATE: Ryan Ferguson won't testify in evidentiary hearing next week

JEFFERSON CITY — A Columbia man serving a 40-year sentence for the 2001 murder of a newspaper sports editor is returning to court with new evidence he hopes will prove his innocence, but he won't take the stand in his own defense.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/s...n-wont-testify-evidentiary-hearing-next-week/

Thanks!!!

I have had such a busy week I did not even realize this had happened.

I am also glad to hear that Ms. Zellner will not be trying to implicate Boyd in this but appears to be tightening up the timeline a little more.

It has taken this family so long to get to this point I know I will be on pins and needles regarding this outcome.

Some excerpts from the hearing today.

"While Trump acknowledged that Crane never directly asked him to lie about the witness identification, the former janitor said he felt pressured to give law enforcement the confirmation they were seeking. That account contradicts his previous certainty of the two men’s involvement.
Trump said Crane told him “it would be helpful” if he could identify Erickson and Ferguson. Freed on parole and fearful of the consequences, Trump said he complied"

"Private investigator Steve Kirby testified that Trump and another Tribune janitor who implicated the two men could not have clearly identified the pair from a location 75 to 100 feet from the newspaper’s employee entrance. Another defense expert criticized the work of Columbia police detectives, suggesting that Erickson crafted his account of the crime scene in part through leading questions during a police interrogation."

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/16/3559046/witness-recants-account-in-columbia.html

Some of todays hearing overview.

" forensic pathologist Larry Blum called into question the use of a tire tool in the beating death of Columbia Daily Tribune sports editor Kent Heitholt

Blum testified Tuesday that the injuries a tire tool would cause don't fit the injury patterns from photographs of Heitholt's injuries. The photographs showed line-like lacerations on Heitholt's skull, circular markings on his skull and hands and what appeared to be "dual markings" on his hands, Blum said.

The dual markings were injuries that left two marks a similar distance to each other on Heitholt's hands. Blum said these markings were most likely caused by a two-pronged instrument.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/s...-evidentiary-hearing-continues-new-testimony/

Ryan Ferguson's evidentiary hearing came to a close Friday morning, leaving Cole County Circuit Judge Daniel Green to decide by mid-June whether he will overrule Ferguson's 2005 conviction.

In their closing arguments, attorneys presented opposing interpretations of the way Green should consider recanted testimonies from Jerry Trump and Charles "Chuck" Erickson as he makes his decision. If Green rules in favor of Ferguson, Ferguson could be provided an opportunity for a new trial, contingent upon appeals made after Green's ruling.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/s...uson-hearing-ends-decision-expected-mid-june/

I just hope the judge rules in favour of a retrial - this is the hinkiest conviction I've ever come across, and I've seen some hinky ones.

I just hope the judge rules in favour of a retrial - this is the hinkiest conviction I've ever come across, and I've seen some hinky ones.

From when I first heard about this case something never sat well with me. The more I looked into it the more upset I became. I hope at the least that a new trial is ordered. My greatest wish would be for the charges to be completely dismissed.

Ever the eternal optimist lol

Trump Apology

"Members of Ryan Ferguson’s family have accepted an apology from a key witness in Ferguson’s 2005 murder trial.

Ryan’s father Bill Ferguson said Jerry Trump was courageous and sincere when he gave tearful testimony during a recent hearing that could lead to Ryan Ferguson’s freedom."

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=749005

No news on this one yet? I thought the judge was supposed to rule by mid June.

No news on this one yet? I thought the judge was supposed to rule by mid June.

I believe both sides had until June 15, 2012 to submit anything final with respect to the evidentiary hearing.

I will have to look again but I think they said it could take the judge over a year to make a ruling. I have to state that if it takes this judge that long to make a ruling I will be probably throwing temper tantrums :giggle:

I believe both sides had until June 15, 2012 to submit anything final with respect to the evidentiary hearing.

I will have to look again but I think they said it could take the judge over a year to make a ruling. I have to state that if it takes this judge that long to make a ruling I will be probably throwing temper tantrums :giggle:

You and me both. Over a year? That's ridiculous.:maddening:

You and me both. Over a year? That's ridiculous.:maddening:
Yes it is. From the FB page they are hoping the judge will make a decision sooner. IIRC July or August but this is already July.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back