GUILTY CA - David, 57, Toni, 55, & Ashley Menard, 16, slain, Northridge, 4 Aug 2006

The most recent story I can find on this case is from May of 2008:

http://www.dailynews.com/search/ci_8975183?IADID=Search-www.dailynews.com-www.dailynews.com

The D.A. is seeking the death penalty for the suspect Brandon Menard. I can imagine this is one reason for the many postponements and the long delay in bringing this to trial. The prosecutors have to make sure they've got an airtight case and the defense, I'm sure, is doing its best to delay the trial. That's my guess.

Postponed once again!

http://app4.lasd.org/iic/ajis_search.cfm

SEARCH "Menard, Brandon"

Next Court Code: NVE Next Court Date: 11/12/2009 Next Court Time: 0800 Next Court Case: PA05639401

Court Name: NO. VALLEY SUPERIOR CT DEPT E
Court Address: 900 THIRD STREET Court City: SAN FERNANDOUPT

Another postponement!

http://app4.lasd.org/iic/ajis_search.cfm

SEARCH: Menard, Brandon

Next Court Code: NVE Next Court Date: 12/17/2009
Next Court Time: 0800 Next Court Case: PA05639401

(There's nothing in the news anywhere about the reason for the long delay in prosecuting this case. He was arrested on August 4, 2006 for the murder of his family, and has yet to stand trial.)

That's just crazy. I wonder what the deal is?

I think the defense is trying to find ways to keep him from the death penalty. Temporary Insanity comes to mind, as this is so misused for defendents. JMO

I kind of don't really like to bring this up but... my brother was charged with 2nd degree murder in late 2008.. He's been in county jail awaiting trial ever since and it is also being pushed back again and again. (I'm starting to see how these things get pushed back over and over)

In my brothers case and probably in this case it is the defense that is holding it up. Also, I'll add that my brothers case has a thread on this site... which is just eerie to me.

In my brothers case and probably in this case it is the defense that is holding it up.

Do you mind if I ask why the defense holds up cases? Wouldn't they want their client to get OUT of jail? I guess I'm just having trouble understand why the defense, of all people, would want their client to sit, wasting away in jail. If I ever needed to be defended, I wouldn't stand for that. I'd want out!

I wonder if the defendant in this case is convicted eventually, whether he could appeal it on grounds his constitutional right to a speedy trial was violated!

The state of the criminal justice system right now is just pathetic!

That's my concern.

Do you mind if I ask why the defense holds up cases? Wouldn't they want their client to get OUT of jail? I guess I'm just having trouble understand why the defense, of all people, would want their client to sit, wasting away in jail. If I ever needed to be defended, I wouldn't stand for that. I'd want out!

Well my Brother looked/looks very guilty so if he went to trial right away he'd get convicted right away, no doubt. But basically his attorney kept claiming he needs more time.. and with that time he has found some things that do help my brother. Matter of fact he may end up getting Manslaughter 1 instead of 2nd degree murder.

Well my Brother looked/looks very guilty so if he went to trial right away he'd get convicted right away, no doubt. But basically his attorney kept claiming he needs more time.. and with that time he has found some things that do help my brother. Matter of fact he may end up getting Manslaughter 1 instead of 2nd degree murder.
When you write "my brother," do you mean my brother like, "this guy I've been posting about"? Or do you mean he's actually your brother?

When you write "my brother," do you mean my brother like, "this guy I've been posting about"? Or do you mean he's actually your brother?

I'm talking about my actual brother the last few posts.. not the guy this thread is initially about. Branden Menard.

My brother does have a thread about his case on this board though.. but I have never posted in it.

I'm talking about my actual brother the last few posts.. not the guy this thread is initially about. Branden Menard.

My brother does have a thread about his case on this board though.. but I have never posted in it.

I really thought I'd read every post, but I missed the one where you said that guy was your brother.
Thanks for getting me up to speed.
:blushing:

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for sharing. It gives me a better understanding about why cases take so long sometimes.

No surprise, another postponement!

http://app4.lasd.org/iic/details.cfm

Search: Menard, Brandon

Next Court Code: NVE Next Court Date: 01/26/2010 Next Court Time: 0800 Next Court Case: PA05639401

Three years and four months since his arrest, and still no trial.

This is almost laughable now. Nearly two month shy of 4 years and he's still in Jail.. not Prison.. Jail.

Next Court Code: NVE Next Court Date: 07/09/2010 Next Court Time: 0800 Next Court Case: PA05639401

The longer the time between the crime and the trial, the more likely for evidence to be lost. It puts the defense in a much better position.
The wheels of justice turn very slowly... or not at all.

all the delays will have no effect on the verdict imo, the trial will be all about not getting the DP, this case has stayed with me from the first day I read about it, I think why this is so is because he chased his sister and shot her as she tried to get away, whatever issues he had with his parents were nothing to do with his sister, but he still killed her,

I have no idea why this has taken so long to go to trial. There has been no news anywhere that I can find to explain the long delays. Four years is just absurd!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back