Police: Boy found hanged in Texas school bathroom

tehcloser

Reaction score
THE COLONY, Texas (AP) -- A 9-year-old boy was found hanged in the bathroom of a Dallas-area elementary school in an apparent suicide, police said. Counselors were on hand Friday for students and parents.

Authorities in The Colony say the fourth-grader was found by staff at Stewart's Creek Elementary School on Thursday afternoon. Lt. Darren Brockway said that the boy "had reportedly hung himself in a bathroom" and was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. Autopsy results are pending.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCHOOL_HANGING_TEXAS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

9 years old...........this breaks my heart.

That is horrible! Children shouldn't have anything in their lives that is so stressful and upsetting that would lead them to suicide. What a tragedy.

Isn't this like the third child we've heard about under the age of 10 that supposedly committed suicide. I say "supposedly" because I'm not really sure they did.

I wonder if the kids at that school were into the "choking game"? Are they positive he was alone at the time?

Is there anyway of knowing if he was a target of a bully and just couldn't take it anymore?

Lots and lots of questions............

Isn't this like the third child we've heard about under the age of 10 that supposedly committed suicide. I say "supposedly" because I'm not really sure they did.

Yes! In fact I thought this was an update. Iirc, there was an 11-year old and I believe he was in TX also.

Something is wrong here :waitasec:

Salem

omg I use to live directly across the street from that school years ago. How sad :(

This is a 6 year old girl from Oregon: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93857&highlight=child+hanging

This is a 7 year old boy from Florida: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83122&highlight=child+hanging&page=4

A third grader (8 or 9) from New Jersey: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55408&highlight=child+hanging

Well I guess there was not one about another child in Texas. I'm just not understanding how these young kids even know about suicide really, let along actually do it?

Unfortunately in this day and age young kids know so much more than we ever did at their age.

Guessing here but I bet in every one of these cases the kids had someone in their family or social circle commit suicide and therefore it had to be explained to them.

Many of us had stressful childhoods, many suffered from abuse. We all know how hard childhood can be.

But think of now days. Parents in and out of jail, drugs so easily found around the house, stress of not only marriages breaking up but boyfriends and girlfriends with kids breaking up.

The amount of living hell that many children go through these days scares me.

I'm 51, I don't think I ever heard of anyone I slightly even knew going to jail until I was an adult. Suicide? Once in high school, A boy with incurable cancer. I don't think I lived a sheltered life at all but compared to these days my childhood was like living in a monastery.

Add into the mix of bullying and all the other stresses of going to school and it can lead to a terrible tragedy like we are reading about on this thread.

I don't know what the answer is but I understand why it is happening more often and I wish I knew the answer on how to fix it.

Tricia

I just got done bawling like a baby when they were interviewing the boys friends. School of course says no bullying was involved but the friends say the whole school made fun of him. Reporter asked why, they said, they didn't know, his hair clothes... Who knows but it is just tragic. It is not an easy death. It takes time to think about and plan. Someone asked why at the school? Psychiatrist said it says I showed you, see what you caused. As if this isn't enough disturbing enough, what made me really bawl like a baby was this - I'll bet/wonder if he had second thoughts and it was too late. He was already hanging and couldn't undo what he had done. That's what bothers me. I have an 8yo and he was playing games in his room while I bawled......we'd seen it on the news (we're locals to this) but that thought will haunt me forever. Poor lil guy.....no more hurt or embarassment now baby. May his poor family find some peace at some point in their lives.

How completely tragic that a child so young could feel so much pain that suicide was his answer. :(

That is horrible! Children shouldn't have anything in their lives that is so stressful and upsetting that would lead them to suicide. What a tragedy.

This.

How truly, truly horrible that he felt driven to this. It's senseless.

a nine year old shouldn't have a care in the world, 'cept maybe to clean their room & do their homework

other than that, they should be just playing

this is the result of kids growing up too fast imo

when I was that age, if someone has asked me what suicide was, I would've only been able to describe it in abstract terms, if at all

whether he actually committed suicide or there was foul play involved or just experimentation, no kids that age should've been even thinking that way

so very sad

Wednesday night there was a show I'm thinking it was criminalminds. The team was investigating teen suicides. It was determined to be a game kids were playing. They were playing the choking game while videoing it online.

I hope this little one did not get the idea from this show.

I've suffered from depression for as long as I can remember. I remember sitting on my front porch (before I was school age) praying to God that he would take me away to come and live with him. I thought I wanted to die but had no idea how to go about it...other than praying for it. These children are learning a lot more than "we" used to. I agree with Tricia that these children must have been aware of suicides within their families or there was some talk of suicide somewhere.

Children can be cruel. They don't realize the lasting effects their bullying can do. It's up to us as adults to protect those that are being bullied and put a stop to those that are doing the bullying.

In my heart I feel that this young man didn't want a permanent solution. He just wanted the pain to stop.

The other day my son had a really bad day. He just turned 11. His teacher had fussed at him and nothing went his way so he said to me " I wish I didnt have to live anymore". I freaked out on him. I said please dont ever say that again, you dont know how lucky you are to be alive and have two parents who love you so much. I said, Do you know what it would do to me and your dad if you werent here anymore? I also reminded him about how many sick or abused children in the world wish they could be in his place. It must have made a difference because he perked up and said he was sorry and that he never thought of it like that. The problem is kids get down and dont know any other way to get rid of what is bothering them so they just want to go away. Its sad really. My prayers to the family of this little boy.

This poor little boy :(
I remember my youth and being picked on and it's not fun. Boys could be the cruelest, and physically push other little boys around or just continually making fun of them and getting into their heads.

It is so sad that he thought this was the only way out. But we really don't know what he thought, other than he must've been really sad. I wonder what his parents are thinking and going through right now? I am sure it's pure torture for them.

May he rest in peace. I know there is thought in some religions that if you take your own life, you don't go to heaven. I hope this is not true, for I would think some people want to die to go to heaven. :angel:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back