CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bad feeling he left Katelynn for dead. If it's the same perp he could have tossed Jessica's backpack out on his way out of town and who knows where she could be. I hope for little Jessica that it's a different perp.

Jessica's backpack was found in an area that appears to be near two bodies of water, the Standley Lake and the Great Western Reservoir. I wonder how secluded these areas are and if they have been searched.

Standley Lake was searched over the weekend and I believe they were at Great Western yesterday.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Because it's a huge gap between July 13 to October 5. I wonder if there are others, or I wonder if something happened to trigger him escalating. Job loss? Divorce?

Is there a way we can open a thread to discuss these links without distracting from the current threads? I don't really want to post on all three threads finding similarities, is there somewhere we can discuss this without interrupting the current search for Jessica?

That's a great idea. I've been seeing a lot of posters on here who are also following the case of Lyric and Elizabeth, and it would be interesting to see what ideas we might all come up with. :rocker:

Child Adbuction Statistics; Stranger/Slight Acquaintance abductions

Originally Posted by Knox
It's a horrible pandemic, it just keeps spreading.

It seems like that, because in the US we are very very focused on child snatchers, and we as a specific group are here at WS because we are even more focused than the public in general.

Child abductions by strangers haven't changed in rate since statistics have been kept, about 1940.

It's not more common than it used to be - we're just much more able to be aware due to much greater media access.

Each time it happens it's horrific - but although it appears it's spreading it actually isn't.

RE: although it appears it's spreading it actually isn't

JeannaT, I honor and respect your opinion, yet disagree that abductions by strangers & slight acquaintances aren't on the increase.

Due to the number of RSOs, absconded RSOs, the tens of thousands of missing children that are unaccounted for(coded as runaways), combined with the total number of cold cases in child abduction investigations, etc...
The statistics are only estimates, and simply a guessing game of fuzzy math, at best,imo.

'With that said, with the advancements in technology: DNA Laws, DNA Forensics, FBI CODIS, Communications; Media/Internet, FBI VICAP, and the tremendous Awareness of Missing Persons Investigations by the American public.'
'I am very optimistic, now that the Silent Epidemic of Missing/Murdered persons has a voice, that the numb3rs will eventually decrease.'

Alone we can do so little; together we can accomplish anything. ...
Helen Keller

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nc...n-and-unidentified-person-statistics-for-2011
FBI NCIC Missing Person and Unidentified Person Statistics for 2011
Pursuant to Public Law 101-647, 104 Statute 4967, Crime Control Act of 1990 Requirements..

As of December 31, 2011, NCIC contained 85,158 active missing person records. Juveniles under the age of 18 account for 37,371 (43.9 %) of the records.

(48.5 %). When the MPC field was utilized in 2011 entries, 316,743 (96.2 %) were coded as Runaway, 2,533
( 0.8%) as Abducted by Non-custodial Parent, 384 (0.1 %) as Abducted by Stranger, and 9,596 (2.9%) as Adult

Twitter

Rick Sallinger ‏@ricksallinger
Parents of #Jessicaridgeway to read statement to media pool later today

Kenny Holmes 7News @KHOLMESlive
The family of #jessicaridgeway will be addressing the public via taped interview. Police hope to have that arranged and released by 1pm.

So they are taping the interview?

Kenny Holmes 7News @KHOLMESlive
The family of #jessicaridgeway will be addressing the public via taped interview. Police hope to have that arranged and released by 1pm.

So they are taping the interview?

It sounds that way.... just reading a pre-written statement is the idea I get.

http://www.cityofcody-wy.gov/archives/45/OG - 12-225 Abduction of Katelynn _RN507.pdf

According to this report

He released Katelynn and the hunters found her walking down the road.

6. At approximately 8:15 p.m., the Park County Dispatch Center received a report of an 11 year old female walking down Spirit Mountain Road (also known as the Carter Mountain Access Road), which is located off the South Fork road (State Highway 291) just outside Cody. Shortly thereafter, it was confirmed that the found female was Katelynn Groves.
7. Katelynn reported that when she approached the suspect vehicle, the suspect brandished a ”pistol” and directed her to get into the front passenger seat of his vehicle.
8. The suspect then drove the victim onto Carter Mountain where he sexually assaulted her.
9. Upon her release by the suspect, she began walking down the road until she was picked up by a party of hunters hunting in the area.

This does not make it sound like he left Katelynn for dead.

I have a bad feeling he left Katelynn for dead. If it's the same perp he could have tossed Jessica's backpack out on his way out of town and who knows where she could be. I hope for little Jessica that it's a different perp.

That's another thing that bugs me...why would a kidnapper, on his way out of town, take the time to turn into a subdivision, drive a short distance and then either go deeper into the subdivision to turn around or turn around in a 3-point turn where the back pack was dropped (placed).

Why wouldn't he just throw it out the window while driving down McCaslin Blvd.?

More thinking...

if it is the same person, he let #2 go...did he think she was dead and went on his way or did he just let her go? im eager to hear the rest of the story.

if he just let her go, then if he would happen to be the same perp in westminster then where would he just let jessica go at? its not far from the foothills and the "middle of nowhere" types of places that if she were on foot i dont know how long she could make it without finding help... or this time he thought she was dead and she really was unlike katelynn...all moo, of course
From what I've read, the WY victim was left for dead :( It's a miracle she was found, she was beaten and left in the wilderness, found by hunters through the grace of God but she is very, very lucky to be alive.

Cody WY and Westminster CO are about 8 hours apart.

IF the two are related, it makes me wonder if he is fleeing to Canada.

(All IMO, MOO, pure speculation on my part)

Just stopped in briefly to offer prayers for Jessica and her family. May she be found, alive, and returned to her loved ones.

http://www.cityofcody-wy.gov/archives/45/OG - 12-225 Abduction of Katelynn _RN507.pdf

According to this report

He released Katelynn and the hunters found her walking down the road.

This does not make it sound like he left Katelynn for dead.

I've heard different accounts of this, saying that she was in a very desolate area and was beaten as well as sexually assaulted.

JMO, but it would be very unlikely that someone who kidnapped and raped a little girl and made no attempt to disguise his identity would just let her walk away like that. Not saying it can't happen, but it would be very unusual.

(Also, just using your post as a jumping off point, I think that since she is a minor and a rape victim we should probably stop using her name now that she's been found)

From what I've read, the WY victim was left for dead :( It's a miracle she was found, she was beaten and left in the wilderness, found by hunters through the grace of God but she is very, very lucky to be alive.

Cody WY and Westminster CO are about 8 hours apart.

IF the two are related, it makes me wonder if he is fleeing to Canada.

(All IMO, MOO, pure speculation on my part)

I don't believe she was left for dead. Upthread is a post with a clip from an article stating the abductor released her, after which time she walked along a road until she came upon a group of hunters.

Not that what happened to her wasn't absolutely vile, but I wanted to set the record straight.

I too am seeing errie connections between Lyric and Elizabeth and this case. I would love a thread on what connections we can make...

Friday disappearances
Left behind purse/backpack
Nearby Lakes
Family life (living with Grandma/aunts etc)

Your comment reminds me of the Joanna Yeates case in Bristol. Her body was found on a rural road that seemed to have no connection to anything, but she was killed elsewhere. It seemed that the perp had taken her there to distance himself from the crime. As it turned out, the murderer was her neighbor - living on the other side of the wall in their apartment building. Karen Swift is another example of the perp taking the evidence and spreading it in various locations away from the last place she was seen (home).

I think you're right in that the backpack was placed in a location that is meant to lead investigators away from the real evidence. One thing that I've noticed during map searches is that in the district where Jessica was abducted, property values are in the $150-200k range, but the backpack was left a district where property values are in the $350-400 range. I'm wondering how that factors into everything. Not only is the backpack left 6 miles away, but also in an area where standard of living is quite different - what would that suggest about the perp?

I posted my 'theory' (if that's not too dignified a word for it) some pages ago, so won't repeat, but I'm in general agreement with what you've said and am working from the premise the person responsible for this is local, lives in Jessica's neighborhood, and is familiar with both areas. Re: the difference in home values possibly signifying something, I'll just offer here that statistically, the 'typical' person who commits these kinds of crimes is a male loser under 30 who is both socially and professionally quite marginal. A number of those kinds of jobs (eg landscaper) involve driving to more upscale neighborhoods to perform the work. There could be any number of reasons why the neighborhood was chosen to leave the backpack, but that the perpetrator was familiar with that area from his work (current or past) is the first thing that springs to my mind.

I've heard different accounts of this, saying that she was in a very desolate area and was beaten as well as sexually assaulted.

JMO, but it would be very unlikely that someone who kidnapped and raped a little girl and made no attempt to disguise his identity would just let her walk away like that. Not saying it can't happen, but it would be very unusual.

(Also, just using your post as a jumping off point, I think that since she is a minor and a rape victim we should probably stop using her name now that she's been found)

I also heard a different story to, but that report with the link, is a media release from the Cody PD.

I found it strange that Cody PD released it with her name, as she is a minor.

I too am seeing errie connections between Lyric and Elizabeth and this case. I would love a thread on what connections we can make...

Friday disappearances
Left behind purse/backpack
Nearby Lakes
Family life (living with Grandma/aunts etc)

iowacolorado.jpg

I kind of feel likes it's a sick joke, hearing once again that an abductor drives a white van.

I wonder if LE will ask people in Jessica's neighborhood if they remember seeing a white van. I know LE has asked for people to report anything suspicious, but maybe seeing a white van didn't seem out of the ordinary at the time. JMO

I posted my 'theory' (if that's not too dignified a word for it) some pages ago, so won't repeat, but I'm in general agreement with what you've said and am working from the premise the person responsible for this is local, lives in Jessica's neighborhood, and is familiar with both areas. Re: the difference in home values possibly signifying something, I'll just offer here that statistically, the 'typical' person who commits these kinds of crimes is a male loser under 30 who is both socially and professionally quite marginal. A number of those kinds of jobs (eg landscaper) involve driving to more upscale neighborhoods to perform the work. There could be any number of reasons why the neighborhood was chosen to leave the backpack, but that the perpetrator was familiar with that area from his work (current or past) is the first thing that springs to my mind.

Hail damage in June ... roofer?

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/06/08/insurance-companies-gear-up-for-big-claims-in-wake-of-storms/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member