New Hampshire Baby Dies In NJ Foster Home

Blue_Dolphin308

We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some
Reaction score
A 17-month-old child from New Hampshire suffocated after apparently becoming trapped between the mattress and a wall in a New Jersey foster home.

Calel Wheeler's parents say they learned of their son's death hours later when they went to court Tuesday to try to regain custody.

Cotting says her son and his 5-year-old brother were placed in DYFS custody on Nov. 2 after she faced charges with another New Hampshire man stemming from a bad check

http://cbs3.com/topstories/new.jersey.foster.2.1536872.html

Not that it makes any difference now, but would DCFS take the kids away for bad checks??

A 17-month-old child from New Hampshire suffocated after apparently becoming trapped between the mattress and a wall in a New Jersey foster home.

Calel Wheeler's parents say they learned of their son's death hours later when they went to court Tuesday to try to regain custody.

Cotting says her son and his 5-year-old brother were placed in DYFS custody on Nov. 2 after she faced charges with another New Hampshire man stemming from a bad check

http://cbs3.com/topstories/new.jersey.foster.2.1536872.html

Not that it makes any difference now, but would DCFS take the kids away for bad checks??

How sad :(

From the article, it said the father was in jail at the time the bad check was written. I'm wondering if the check was for trying to provide some basic need for the family while he was locked up, food, shelter, utilities or something and because she couldn't provide it, the children were put into foster care. But I wonder why the children were put into foster care in another state?

VB

Mother may have been facing jail time, that is a reason for removal.

If she had said something along the lines of stealing them back, they likely wouldhave sent the kids out of state. That must have made visits nearly impossible, meaning they were obviuosly intending to terminate.

Hopefully someone is charged, there are too many cases where these things happen, and no one is held accountable. Foster homes should be held to a higher standard, and 17 month olds shouls still have bed rails...they should not be able to get caught between a wall and a bed.

what a horrible story! I feel huge compassion for any parent to lose their child in an accident. Especially in this case, where the child was removed from the home, and died without his mama there. Its not a case where a judgement needs to be made about the foster family, or the birth family, its simply a tragic accident...heartbreaking for sure. RIP babycakes, go join my angel, and all the others and play.
ETA
But I do agree with NOT My Kids, I wouldnt think of putting my 17 month old little guy in a bed. A toddler bed maybe, but the matress wouldnt move, and wouldnt be able to suffocate him, they are usually not heavy enough and in a proper fitting bed they stay in place. My littlest is over 2 and still in his cribby with a crib tent on top.

In this article it states DCFS knew he was sleeping in a recall crib and told the foster mother not to let him use it but they did not provide a replacement for the child which the case worker is suppose to provide.

http://www.app.com/article/20100303...-foster-home-suffocates-parents-told-in-court

I have been dealing with DCFS in NJ for grandchildren who were abused by their moms new boyfriend.Since Jan kids were suppose to attend counseling so truth can come out.They still havent been to counseling yet.This started in Nov first reported then more things came out.BF is not allowed near kids the mom allows him with kids they have done nothing to help these children.Now they are all moving in together it has been a nightmare.They do not protect the children at all IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back