2011.05.13 - Jury Selection DAY FIVE Afternoon Session

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had read somewhere that either side could strike for any reason if using a peremptory strike. Apparently not!

The state used a strike. But the court disallowed it based on the DT's Batson challenge, which asks the state to prove that their strike was not based on her race. The state could not come it with a reason that she was so different from previous candidates that gave similar answers and were not striken.

This is bad. This is a type of juror who could dither in the deliberations and refuse to reach a decision, so just be off the general track in the deliberations.

MOO

It's just reverse racism. HHJP was pretty abrupt with JA over his challenge.
That's my rule and I'm not gonna argue with you! Wish he would apply those same principles when dealing with JB!

Once...just ONCE!!! I would like to hear HHJP get as hateful with the DT as he does with JA. I'm too angry and disgusted!! :mad::mad::mad:

I did not know they even had to voice a reason to use one of the p. strikes. Any lawyers here???

You know what:
I'm so sick of the race card being thrown out there (including this). I wouldn't give a hoot what color of skin the jurors are as long as he/she can can be competent enough to be on the jury. Same goes for any situation. I don't hate people because of skin color NOR do I pick friends because he/she is black,white, poka dot, etc. I think the average joe feels the same way
I guess having a all-white jury means the court is being racist,bigot, etc NEVER MIND THE FACT THE JUDGE IS BLACK AMERICAN (and a excellent one to boot)

Wasn't the DT whining the other day that there wasn't enough variety - ie race?

Well the sidebar is bringing something out that we can't know about. I'd say the State was kind not to hit her like a brick with something publicly if it is sensitive.

We all know so much regarding forensics, mitigations and so on. However, there is lost of the general public who really could care less about this stuff.

I have gone back and forth on the issue of "Professional Jurors"...in a case like this where so many "sciences" will come into consideration....a juror with a basic knowledge of certain fields would be an excellent juror for each side. BUT....with a "Professional Juror" comes the risk of fraud and exposure to influence.

I think this case is going to be HUGE....if for no other reason...than to stimulate conversation within the system of what isn't working and what needs to be changed.

Don't count this woman out. The fact remains that she has not heard the evidence.

I can't remember if she has children, or if she is a grandmother...or for that matter if her own mother is still living.

Trust me when I say that older people are NOT going to like hearing how Casey Anthony acted after her daughter went missing, nor will they like hearing about how she stole from her ailing grandmother!

This woman could be the very first to raise her hand for guilty!

I think this lady was misunderstood because she is older...

I also think they did a disservice by not getting to know at least a little bit more about her.

moo

Did anyone ask if she has any family?? Kids??

The state used a strike. But the court disallowed it based on the DT's Batson challenge, which asks the state to prove that their strike was not based on her race. The state could not come up with a reason that she was so different from previous candidates that gave similar answers and were not striken.

This is bad. This is a type of juror who could dither in the deliberations and refuse to reach a decision, so just be off the general track in the deliberations.

MOO

Though, if she does ultimately make it onto the jury, she seems to be easily swayed by what she thinks people want her to think. She went from I don't feel comfortable judging people to I could impose the death sentence rather quickly.

The SA needs this woman off. I'm not sure she would feel comfortable finding someone guilty no matter what the evidence reflects. All it takes is for ONE juror to be like that and then ICA gets her hung jury and we have to do this all over again. And the DT knows this and that's what they're going for.

Cant believe that they played that an won it. Puhleaze!!

I think this PJ would be very much swayed by the DT and their ICA was abused and blah blah blah, bless her heart she just strikes me as wanting everyone and thing to have a pretty ending. I also aree here is the second one today that I think could hang a jury.

Mannnnnnn that wasn't good. She was confused and needed to have things explained very simply. She also just flat out wasn't a reasoned thinker. I feel she was being led.

ITA. I really think she will be totally overwhelmed by what goes on in this case. Her level of understanding was just not there.

Once...just ONCE!!! I would like to hear HHJP get as hateful with the DT as he does with JA. I'm too angry and disgusted!! :mad::mad::mad:

Judge P respects JA and expects his expertise and intelligence to carry this case through, JB cannot and Judge has to teach him, JA can. He gets upset b/c he expects the best from JA. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth