IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to play devil's advocate (I almost always seem to do that with your posts, nothing personal I swear :)...

My husband has a Chevy Silverado short bed truck, I am not much bigger than LS and I would take up about that much room in the bed, it is a small bed, like half the size of a normal truck bed.

edited to add: if you look at the drawing of "LS" and compare it to the wheel you can see that the "person" is about the size of the wheel, which would fit in this case.

Whoops, someone already had this idea! Great minds think alike.

The thing is... as a 24 year old... a fight is not that uncommon. Ok, when a girl goes missing? Big coincidence. But during college, people got into fights often. Specially frat boys and on night where a lot of alcohol was involved. I never thought the fight was that big of a the deal. It didn't mean people were planning murder. Specially because fight are almost always guy on guy... a tiny girl involved?

On the FB page for Lauren, one poster is saying he did something with the image on Adobe and it appears to be a dent which straddles both doors...

I hope that poster sends that photo to LE. That could definitley narrow it down.

Also, I read that LE thinks that the bed of the truck contains 'equipment', but when I saw the 2nd pic, which showed the side view of truck only, I don't see ANYTHING in the back of the truck.

So what I am trying to figure out is in what order where those images of the truck taken?

Was the blurry one taken 1st and the clearer side view one taken 2nd? Or vice versa?

Because might that be poor Lauren in the bed of the truck? :( *shudder*

I hope that poster sends that photo to LE. That could definitley narrow it down.

Also, I read that LE thinks that the bed of the truck contains 'equipment', but when I saw the 2nd pic, which showed the side view of truck only, I don't see ANYTHING in the back of the truck.

So what I am trying to figure out is in what order where those images of the truck taken?

Was the blurry one taken 1st and the clearer side view one taken 2nd? Or vice versa?

The one taken first is the one that doesn't show the equipment in the back. The one people think shows someone in it was taken second. Earlier in this thread people wrote that you could see the time stamp in the blown up photos.

The photo that only partially shows the truck was taken first (~4:14). The photo that shows the entire truck, with "equipment" in the back, was taken second (4:24~).

By viewing the enlarged version of the photos, you can see the timestamp.

The pictures were from two different systems, so they probably shot different quality pictures. It wouldn't be hard to believe LE blurred the photo for the general public. I think they did, myself.

I used to live in Bloomington (moved away a year ago) so this is interesting and upsetting to me.

I've been thinking about possible scenarios here:

1) Crime of passion... doesn't seem likely at all... if she was murdered in some sort of jealous rage there would be some sort of crime scene. If someone had the thought not to leave a trace of evidence, he would have thought not to kill her.

2) Some sort of OD, then hide the body. Possible, doesn't seem terribly plausible as isn't it easier to flush your drugs down the toilet, call 911 and claim she brought the stuff over herself?

Also, these guys would be terribly unprepared to hide a body well, imo. Doubt any of them would have even owned a shovel. And they would have to think not to throw her in a trunk where she would leave hair/skin DNA.

Could they have called someone (say, their dealer) to take her away? This is possible, perhaps. But they would have to have demonstrated a lot of smarts to avoid calling from a traceable cell phone (you'd think the police would have their records by now).

Police have probably already begun looking to see if any acquaintances of the p.o.i. drive something the white pickup (though this is not a college kid's truck, in general).

3) Stranger abduction: Rare, but what else makes sense? It could be this pickup. See her once, circle the block, snatch her. However, questions remain open:
a) 10 minutes to circle the block actually seems like a long time in this situation
b) It would have to have happened in a very brief amount of time before she got to 10th street. I doubt anyone would snatch her in front of the waffle house.
c) The behavior of the truck driver actually fits with someone dropping a friend off after a long night out.
d) It would have been an opportunity crime, someone going out with the goal to abduct someone would be out earlier than 4:30, you'd think.
e) Doubtful the driver of this truck is someone on their way to work in town.... if it is, then the cops will have him tomorrow at the latest.

If it is a stranger abduction-- let's think: It would almost have to be someone who lives within an hour drive (Indy being the farthest away) -- what else would they be doing in Bloomington? One really doesn't go through Bloomington to get to anything else, it isn't off an interstate.

If this truck wasn't picked up on any other security cameras, they would have come from the north (and not gone through the middle of town).

Cops are probably in the process of getting security camera footage from all of the gas stations along IN-37 up to Indianapolis and along IN-46 east and west of town.

I will make the point that the area becomes very rural (wooded and hilly) within even a 15 minute drive from 10th and college.

Since ODing, other accidents or just dropping dead from a combination of exhaustion, Long Q-T and drinking could have happened in a variety of ways and involved so far a variety of people, the reasons for ditching instead of flushing are still plausible. For example, if she were given a date rape drug - that would be incriminating and of course would come out in the autopsy. Sure if she just had a small amount of coke in her system and lots of alcohol that might fly... yet not everyone who is with someone partying is sitting there thinking it out rationally. Most people panic in those situations. There have been many cases posted on these LS threads proving that people often do panic and dispose of an OD's friend. So this remains one of top theories until there is something to disprove it, or there is more evidence to support the stranger theory.

Seems to me that more help from JR could have turned this on a dime... but we have next to nothing from him, and the fact is, that he is the last person to say they saw her alive. That is still very compelling.
If this were my friend, and I just let her walk out the door, I would feel responsible and would be doing everything possible to find out what happened. So, I can't understand the apparent behavior of JR, nor have I heard one reason to explain it. It could make sense later, but for now it smells.

Ok, so here's what some zooming and enhancing has done.. This specific image is the one that shows the right hand side of the truck as well as the image of the truck that is projected on the glass front of the business(left side of the pic you can see the image in the glass).. I cropped everything out EXCEPT the projected iImage seen on the glass.. And this is the best I can do via mobile phone's Photoshop..

You'll see I circled the part that looks as if it could possibly be a business name.. And underneath it I gave an example of what I think it is similar to look like or read.. It looks as tho it's possibly a Large capital R followed by approx. 6 smaller letters and looks as if ends in a "y"or a "g".. A letter that has a tail possibly. I wrote on the pic the way that I see it with the R larger and it's bottom half of the letter dipping down.. And the last letters "tail"; as in a "y" or a "g" with it's bottom half of tge letter dipping down as well..

Can anyone make out anything else?

Posting via mobile so please excuse errors as there is not the same amount of control as I'd have posting from my laptop! Thanks! :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308186260.375816.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308186260.375816.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 94
The thing is... as a 24 year old... a fight is not that uncommon. Ok, when a girl goes missing? Big coincidence. But during college, people got into fights often. Specially frat boys and on night where a lot of alcohol was involved. I never thought the fight was that big of a the deal. It didn't mean people were planning murder. Specially because fight are almost always guy on guy... a tiny girl involved?

Where on earth did you go to college? lol

Fighting among adults is not very common at all, unless it's a drunken brawl at a bar.
Last time I can remember seeing a fight in person was junior high school.

The pictures were from two different systems, so they probably shot different quality pictures. It wouldn't be hard to believe LE blurred the photo for the general public. I think they did, myself.

But if LE wanted the public's help to determine a logo or business name on the side of the truck, why would they blur it? Maybe they would blur the back portion where the 'equipment' is...

On the FB page for Lauren, one poster is saying he did something with the image on Adobe and it appears to be a dent which straddles both doors...

It looks to me like it's not a dent because it's on both sides of the truck. The two photos we have show both the driver's and passenger's side of the truck.

Yesterday, a forum member (Surly Sasha, maybe?) in Bloomington mentioned a dialogue she had with a couple of local homeless guys. They said that several other homeless men had seen Lauren in the "Hills" public housing with a group of men late at night (I'm guessing after 4:15?)

Let's suppose this is true for a moment.

The vehicle's driver may have seen Lauren walking by herself and asked her if she wanted to go to another party. She may have said "yes", drunk, not realizing the danger. The driver may have taken her to the Hills, where she joined the driver's friends.

Lauren would maybe be sober enough to realize she was in a shady, unfamiliar area upon arriving at the Hills. When she expressed her discomfort, perhaps she was assaulted or taken advantage of.

Another possibility: maybe she tried cocaine at the Hills and accidentally OD-ed.

Or maybe after the Hills, her abductor took her elsewhere and is keeping her (the most unlikely, but the only chance she is alive).

I don't really think any of these theories are true, but I wanted to share them as ideas. :)

I think it could either be a scrape or writing on the side of the truck. Either one.

That and the flat tire possibility -- LE should check recent accident reports from there and all adjacent counties.

It looks to me like it's not a dent because it's on both sides of the truck. The two photos we have show both the driver's and passenger's side of the truck.

You're right, the 2 pictures are showing different sides of the truck. It looks like writing to me.

jmo

Ok, so here's what some zooming and enhancing has done.. This specific image is the one that shows the right hand side of the truck as well as the image of the truck that is projected on the glass front of the business(left side of the pic you can see the image in the glass).. I cropped everything out EXCEPT the projected iImage seen on the glass.. And this is the best I can do via mobile phone's Photoshop..

You'll see I circled the part that looks as if it could possibly be a business name.. And underneath it I gave an example of what I think it is similar to look like or read.. It looks as tho it's possibly a Large capital R followed by approx. 6 smaller letters and looks as if ends in a "y"or a "g".. A letter that has a tail possibly. I wrote on the pic the way that I see it with the R larger and it's bottom half of the letter dipping down.. And the last letters "tail"; as in a "y" or a "g" with it's bottom half of tge letter dipping down as well..

Can anyone make out anything else?

Posting via mobile so please excuse errors as there is not the same amount of control as I'd have posting from my laptop! Thanks! :)

Something like "Runaway"?

This might sound stupid but I never felt like any of these guys harmed Lauren.
I have a personal connection to this case because I'm Jewish and Jewish people tend to REALLY stick together. It's a very tight knit community and everyone just seems to want to help everyone. No matter the "altercation" or "jealousy", in the end of the day, when push comes to shove, we consider ourselves "the chosen people" and we are going to stick together.

All the kids involved are Jewish which means they have the whole "our ancestors suffered together" in their minds. I mean, we listen about how we have to stick together all our lives.

It might seem naive and bias, but I always felt like we were talking about people from a tight knit community that really wouldn't hurt one another.

I know this may sound stupid and naive for most of you, but it makes sense to me and that was always my gut feeling.

It seems the extent of watching out for friends in the community is when then round the corner at the end of the street. And then when they disappear to clam up. I'd never let a woman walk out alone at night, drunk, barefoot, without a phone, to find her way home. So, I just don't get that.

But if LE wanted the public's help to determine a logo or business name on the side of the truck, why would they blur it? Maybe they would blur the back portion where the 'equipment' is...

Yes, blurring it makes no sense when they spent time trying to clarify it...at least not to me.

It seems the extent of watching out for friends in the community is when then round the corner at the end of the street. And then when they disappear to clam up. I'd never let a woman walk out alone at night, drunk, barefoot, without a phone, to find her way home. So, I just don't get that.

I know...I was thinking about it and even if she said she did not want anyone to walk her home, you would think a friend would pretend he too wanted to go to Smallwood just so he could walk with her...kind of like taking the keys...

The FBI was trying to make more clear, not blur it.

Gotta speak to my passion here for a second :) No rant or angst meant.

I have an undergrad in video and a masters degree in design and animation and use Photoshop daily for my job (in TV news). Based on the images I saw there is no way you could enhance any detail out of that. Detail can't be created where there is none and even in the high res images, the pixels are an amorphous blob. If there is a low level of detail you can play with it to enhance what's there, but in these images ... I don't see it.

The FBI and LE have tools way advanced beyond photoshop they can use to try and extract data from these images - for one they have the video which is a HUGE asset in that area because you can take details from frame 1 and details from frame 2 and establish an overall image. There are mathematical algorithms that can be run to try and establish patterns over multiple frames given the movement of an object.

If the FBI can't pull detail out of this, I highly doubt Facebook guy can ... but if he says he has, I'd like to see the image. My guess it's it's just as muddy as what we have, but with steeper contrast. And in that case I can see it being percieved as a dent ... when really it's motion blurred text with steeper contrast :)

Night time security footage is problematic for a couple reasons. For one, digital sensors at the low to mid price range are not fantastic at capturing low light images. Hence all the noise \ grain. Part of how they achieve these images is by exposing the sensors to light for longer periods of time per frame ... hence the more pronounced motion blur...

Given the better tools and footage the FBI have, I'm inclined to believe it's writing if they say it is.

But then I'd still like to see Facebook guy's image :)

In the morning I'll have my art department play with it and see if any of us can get anything out of it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck