School Bus FIGHT!

I think they are all in the wrong. Bunch of angry confrontational people. No one did anything right IMO.
no kidding. nobody should be proud of how they acted. having said that when faced with a mouthy teen i expect the adult to behave. i am sure the school has a policy to cover a situation where a teen disobeys the rules. i doubt the policy says push the teen then throw their phone if they offer it to you so that you can speak with a parent. the student violated policy and should be punished. the driver broke the law and should also be punished. dont expect teens to keep their kool and follow the rules when the adults we entrust them to dont do it.

I see a lot of disrespectful, smart mouthed young people and it is just disgusting. If my daughters tried to handle confrontation like these young people did, i would be discouraged and set them down and start all over teaching them how to handle themselves in the world.
What if the bus driver was a true nut and was armed? cripes those are the type of people that shoot first and ask questions later.
The bus driver is an idiot. She has no business driving a bus if she doesn;t know anything about conflict resolution with young people, especially if she is the captain of the ship.
The mother that was outside waiting needs to pull her head out and instruct her daughter on what the *smart* thing to do is in a situation like this. My gosh, do you all want your daughters injecting themselves into an escalating situation where the adult is using bad judgement? Unless it is self defense or defending the weak..be smart.

I am sorry but not one of these people gets a pass for me.

<snip>I am sorry but not one of these people gets a pass for me.

Once again, I agree. As for being "rightouesly outraged" yeah, I don't like seeing adults behave that way towards minors. I'm glad she has been charged, and I hope they don't let her plead out and get only a slap on the wrist. And may that teen learn that sometimes we don't get what we want if we try to go around the rules. The ones that tried to break up the fight could learn how better to de-escalate such things, especially the bus driver's daughter.

Once again, I agree. As for being "rightouesly outraged" yeah, I don't like seeing adults behave that way towards minors. I'm glad she has been charged, and I hope they don't let her plead out and get only a slap on the wrist. And may that teen learn that sometimes we don't get what we want if we try to go around the rules. The ones that tried to break up the fight could learn how better to de-escalate such things, especially the bus driver's daughter.

KatK, I apologize if I offended you. I think that BOLDING all your text makes look like you're yelling and lecturing. :blowkiss:

totally agree.

KatK, I apologize if I offended you. I think that BOLDING all your text makes look like you're yelling and lecturing. :blowkiss:

Not yelling, just more'n half blind. :( :truce: Some days I have to pull up that magnifier thingy even with my posts bolded. That thing is disconcerting. Start Menu --> Programs --> Accessories --> Accessibility --> Magnifier to see what I mean. And yes, I've tried changing the text size. (ETA: On the "View" menu for me, I have it set to "Large" right now but it doesn't matter here.) I can't on VB, VB forces the default on the text to be "Medium". *wry*

Not yelling, just more'n half blind. :( :truce: Some days I have to pull up that magnifier thingy even with my posts bolded. That thing is disconcerting. Start Menu --> Programs --> Accessories --> Accessibility --> Magnifier to see what I mean. And yes, I've tried changing the text size. (ETA: On the "View" menu for me, I have it set to "Large" right now but it doesn't matter here.) I can't on VB, VB forces the default on the text to be "Medium". *wry*

You might want to consider switching over to Foxfire. I can set the text REALLY large, but as soon as my daughter comes by she makes it microscopic. If you go to view there is a tab to increase and decrease text size for web viewing. I have a no-squint view.

You might want to consider switching over to Foxfire. I can set the text REALLY large, but as soon as my daughter comes by she makes it microscopic. If you go to view there is a tab to increase and decrease text size for web viewing. I have a no-squint view.

Yes, I tried that, it stays at "medium" when on a vBulletin message board, vBulletin forces the default text to be viewed as "medium" no matter what setting you have your browser on, at least for IE6, dunno about IE7. We have IE6 on this thing, we tried IE7, and it wouldn't let me load more than one website. When I couldn't load Wikipedia, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. More than one person tried to fix the glitch, searched the net, nothing worked but reverting to IE6. Last time I tried IE7 same thing, so... Er, and...:blushing: I *HATE* tabbed browsing. I just don't like it. :crazy:

Do bus drivers have a way to dial 911 or call someone in case of emergency? If not, it is imperative that they all be provided with some way to call for help. That's what I would have done. I would not have engaged a teenager in an argument or touched him/her in any way. That being said, what do they pay bus drivers--about a buck an hour?? You get what you pay for...

Do bus drivers have a way to dial 911 or call someone in case of emergency? If not, it is imperative that they all be provided with some way to call for help. That's what I would have done. I would not have engaged a teenager in an argument or touched him/her in any way. That being said, what do they pay bus drivers--about a buck an hour?? You get what you pay for...

Bus-drivers probably have cellphones, but their main mode of communication is by radio with the garage dispatcher. They can always ask them to call 911 if need be.

I have watched the youtube interview with the student and her mother.
They said that the whole altercation started over the girl being on her phone. According to the girl, the bus driver was singling her out for being on her phone saying it was distracting her. I watched the video of the bus
incident and there were several kids using their phones at the same time.
The student also said that the driver purposly stopped the bus less than 50 yards from the bus stop that she was to get off at and would not let her off of the bus because she was trying to make a point about the phone call distracting her.
I do think that the girl could have just hung up the phone and kept her mouth shut but ....I dont think it is right for the driver to stop the bus over this one kid being on her phone, seems to me she was picking on her.
I do not agree with the girl being a brat but the driver was the one who put her hands on the girl. IMO she should make a rule for her bus that no phones are to be used while on the bus if it distracts her from her bus driving duties.

Bus-drivers probably have cellphones, but their main mode of communication is by radio with the garage dispatcher. They can always ask them to call 911 if need be.

The busdriver reacted poorly, but it was the teenage girl who was very loud and abusive and out of her seat. When she got on the bus she was angry that the busdriver wanted her to sit toward the front. I can assure you the busdriver did not single her out. She probably had trouble with her before and wanted her up front to keep an eye on her.Then the girl started arguing to get off at a different stop and got her mother on the line to back her up. No child is allowed to get off at a different stop without a written note signed off by the principal or rep. The busdriver could not be sure that was her mother on the phone the student kept yelling she was talking to her mother so the busdriver lost it and threw the phone. The girl was determined to get off at her friend's stop and the busdriver would not open the door. The busdriver wanted to let the girl's friend off but not the abusive one because it was not her stop. Her next bad decision was to have physical contact to prevent her from getting off the bus. I have been in the office afterschool a few times searching for missing kids after a parent notifies me that their child did not get off the bus. I call all their friends and if I'm lucky I find them. If I don't locate them we call the police and get in touch with the bus driver. If the busdriver is observant he'll say he must have gotten off with his friend. Then we find him. The worse case was when we found a child at a park with another kid hours later but thank God we found him. I have taught school for over thirty years in an urban area and this happened to me maybe three times. Of course, parents had been given the bus rules and warned about safety and our students knew the rules. As teachers and parents we were so worried and stressed when one of our kids went missing because the child could be hurt or kidnapped. Anyhow besides the girl who wanted to get off the bus there were now all these other kids getting riled up and their safety was at risk. It looked like if the busdriver opened the door everyone would bolt. The busdriver should have called an emergency number for help when the situation escalated. Bottom line the busdriver should not have thrown the phone in exasperation or physically block the girl from getting off. If all things were right an adult monitor should be on the bus so that the busdriver could be a busdriver. I think if this busdriver is fired it won't be a huge tragedy for her because it is sooo stressful and it requires a cool temperament. I did fine in the classroom but I don't think I would be a very good busdriver.

I am shocked at how many are sticky up for this bad mouthed, cocky, little child who if she was my kid I'd knock the snot out of her.

If any of you had been watching this on NG you would know the confrontational teen had to have the police called on her once at the school before the bus even left the school, that was why she was made to sit in the front of the bus. If you observe the video you can clearly, IMO, see the teen advance at the busdriver, you can not see the driver, she is behind the camera, the daughter of the driver did not react until the trouble maker put her hands on the bus driver...I would have done the same if someone put their hands on my mother.

I am confident the girl was in the wrong here, but, that JMHO.

IMO, the bus driver is where she is because she is blocking the brat from leaving through those doors! I don't think she's hiding from any camera. IMO

I'm with you, Christine! lol

Gilbert police have asked the Maricopa County Attorney's Office to charge Kim Sullivan with aggravated assault (intentional touching of a child 15 and younger) and disorderly conduct - fighting; Samantha Taylor with aggravated assault of a school employee and disorderly conduct - fighting; and Cassandra Schlosser, 14, and Erin Sullivan, both with disorderly conduct - fighting.

Here they make 18 dollars an hour and have excellent benefits

Oh yeah that is exactly why she is standing there. I have no doubt that if she would of let big mouth off the bus then the mother would be sueing her for ''abandoning'' her child in the middle of wherever! The way the bus driver got on the radio and said 'wheres my help? at the end of the video about broke my heart. Her daughter stuck up for her and I think that is what anyone would of done in this situation for their mom. I just hope the daughter don't get heat over this at school now.

IMO, the bus driver is where she is because she is blocking the brat from leaving through those doors! I don't think she's hiding from any camera. IMO

I'm with you, Christine! lol

Gilbert police have asked the Maricopa County Attorney's Office to charge Kim Sullivan with aggravated assault (intentional touching of a child 15 and younger) and disorderly conduct - fighting; Samantha Taylor with aggravated assault of a school employee and disorderly conduct - fighting; and Cassandra Schlosser, 14, and Erin Sullivan, both with disorderly conduct - fighting.

What a crock of crap. If the bus driver let this girl off at a different stop without permission she could have gotten in trouble. She was damned if she did, damned if she didn't.

Seriously, if I were the driver and this girl attacked me I would -slap her so hard her head would spin. Screw her age. The bus driver has a right to defend themself from punk-*advertiser censored* kids.

Christine posted on the other thread about this case that LE wants charges brought against the driver, the 2 bratty (IMO!) students and the driver's daughter. :(

I feel like writing a letter of support for the driver and her dd!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back