GUILTY MI - Kylie Cox, 4 mos, mauled to death by rottweiler, Warren, 17 Sept 2007

Of course the dog has a history of aggression, why was it around a baby?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/14104160/detail.html

The million dollar question. Sounds like it was just a bunch of kids running rampant too. My rottie is SOOOO different. He will lay down on the floor and just watch the babies! He adores them but he especially likes diaper bags. He's smart enough to know there's ALWAYS a bag of Cherrios' in there somewhere.

This is just horrible though! Even as good as my dog is with kids, I'd never leave him alone in the room with any! That's just not smart, with any kind of dog!

http://www.wxyz.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=81a73169-d79c-449a-afcf-bbced50b96c9

Baby Mauled to Death by Dog in Warren

Last Update: 5:41 pm

WATCH ACTION NEWS REPORT IN VIDEO PLAYER RIGHT WARREN, Mich. (AP) - A 4-month-old baby was fatally mauled by a Rottweiler while her mother had stepped away to warm her bottle, according to police and broadcast reports.

Police found the girl about 5:45 p.m. Wednesday in a home on Warren's south side. She was taken to St. John Oakland Hospital in Madison Heights, where she was pronounced dead, Officer Mark Christian and Detective Sgt. Louis Galasso said in a statement.

Names of the victim and her 17-year-old mother were not released. (more at link)
UPDATE:

UPDATE: Dog to be euthanized WARREN, Mich. (AP) - A 120-pound Rottweiler will be euthanized after it killed a 4-month-old baby at a home in Warren.

Police say the girl's 17-year-old mother had stepped away to warm her bottle during a party attended mostly by teenagers.

Lylie Cox was taken to a hospital in nearby Madison Heights, where she was pronounced dead.

Police say the mother had asked a friend to watch Lylie, who was in a car safety seat. The dog attacked when the friend placed the seat on the living room floor to unfasten the straps.

Authorities said the dog's 19-year-old owner had brought the animal to the gathering and turned it over to police. (more at link)

:furious: :furious: :furious:

I think I dislike these dogs even more than Pits. A friend of mine had a 1 1/2 year son attacked by one and was seriously injured; almost killed. He will constantly drool for the rest of life. Another friend had a son attacked by one also but he managed to jump up a fence and only his foot was injured.

The smile on the baby is so precious. (Pic at link) :(

There's a whole lot of things I could say about this. But I won't.

I think I dislike these dogs even more than Pits. A friend of mine had a 1 1/2 year son attacked by one and was seriously injured; almost killed. He will constantly drool for the rest of life. Another friend had a son attacked by one also but he managed to jump up a fence and only his foot was injured.

I know a lot of people will defend Rotts, Pits, and other dogs known to be dangerous. However, is it really all that important to defend them when they have done this type of damage? Don't get me wrong...I love animals! However, I value human life way more. Just thought I'd add my :twocents:

Oh, I forgot to add to Sheromom...I was only using your quote as an example since you gave examples of kids that will pay for the rest of their lives because some people think it's important to have these kinds of "pets" in their possession. It urks me to no end! I'm with you.

I know a lot of people will defend Rotts, Pits, and other dogs known to be dangerous. However, is it really all that important to defend them when they have done this type of damage? Don't get me wrong...I love animals! However, I value human life way more. Just thought I'd add my :twocents:

Oh, I forgot to add to Sheromom...I was only using your quote as an example since you gave examples of kids that will pay for the rest of their lives because some people think it's important to have these kinds of "pets" in their possession. It urks me to no end! I'm with you

I'm not defending that dog. I'm defending my dog. He has never showed any inclination towards agression. The day he did would be the day he was gone. I also would never take him to someone else's house nor would I leave him alone with children. Not only him but any kind of dog! My friend had a Pomeranian who ripped off her two year olds bottom lip. He would always growl whenever the child got near and she just turned around while filling up the tub for her daughter. The little girl reached around to grab her mother and the dog attacked. It's not only "those kinds of dogs".

I have a Pitt and a Rott. They've both been socialized well and have been tested for their behavior. They also both come from real breeders with impecable blood lines. It's unfair of you to lump all dog owners into the class of people that own these dogs.

I'm not defending that dog. I'm defending my dog. He has never showed any inclination towards agression. The day he did would be the day he was gone. I also would never take him to someone else's house nor would I leave him alone with children. Not only him but any kind of dog! My friend had a Pomeranian who ripped off her two year olds bottom lip. He would always growl whenever the child got near and she just turned around while filling up the tub for her daughter. The little girl reached around to grab her mother and the dog attacked. It's not only "those kinds of dogs".

I have a Pitt and a Rott. They've both been socialized well and have been tested for their behavior. They also both come from real breeders with impecable blood lines. It's unfair of you to lump all dog owners into the class of people that own these dogs.
the problem i see is that anyone has the right to own a large dog. yes small dogs hurt people but the are still alive. as many large aggressive dogs as live in this country if everyone was a bad owner we would read 5 cases a day. we dont because most are good owners. now how do you stop the bad owners? people own dogs that kill kids. we have to find a way to stop that. if your dog is able to kill a child in less than a minute there has to be some way to prove you have trained the dog properly and have it secured imo.

:clap: :clap: I agree. Have to tell something funny that happened the other day. My sister who is 16 came over and asked to borrow my dog. I asked why and she said she wanted to go to this old cemetary and look around at the old graves for a paper or something. Well I wasn't letting her go alone and decided to take the dogs with for a walk. My mom was taking my 2 kiddos to church so off we went. Well after looking around for a few minutes the cops came and said it was private property and we couldn't be there. The cop was a K-9 cop and his dog was going crazy, he wanted to eat my dog who is a pit. My pit never barked once. The cop put his dog away and came to talk to us. My pit was smelling him and licking his shoes and the cop said is he okay, I said yes very friendly can you tell and he just laughed. He was nice and let us go, said he was sorry he startled us they just have a lot of vandals. I turned to my sister when we got in the car and said see what a lot of good Champ would have done if there was a predetor, he would have licked his shoes, LOL!

the problem i see is that anyone has the right to own a large dog. yes small dogs hurt people but the are still alive. as many large aggressive dogs as live in this country if everyone was a bad owner we would read 5 cases a day. we dont because most are good owners. now how do you stop the bad owners? people own dogs that kill kids. we have to find a way to stop that. if your dog is able to kill a child in less than a minute there has to be some way to prove you have trained the dog properly and have it secured imo.

I totally agree with you. My dogs both have certificates from "puppy school" and dog obedience training as well as their behavioral evaluations. I thought about putting them through the Shutzand (sp) training but was afraid it would bring out aggressive tendancies so I didn't. I don't put my dogs in the position to act out. Large dogs aren't like teacup poodles that can be carted around in your purse. They should stay at home or on a leash. They aren't toys, they're animals and should be treated as such.
When my son was born my husband took his cap home and gave it to the dogs so they'd recognize the smell of the new baby. I never once had a problem with them. They were a little more protective when people would come over but they never once showed any weirdness to the baby. Still, I never did and never have left them alone in a room with kids. Kids are noisy and rambunctious, you never know how an animal will react to something so I don' t take the chance.

:clap: :clap: I agree. Have to tell something funny that happened the other day. My sister who is 16 came over and asked to borrow my dog. I asked why and she said she wanted to go to this old cemetary and look around at the old graves for a paper or something. Well I wasn't letting her go alone and decided to take the dogs with for a walk. My mom was taking my 2 kiddos to church so off we went. Well after looking around for a few minutes the cops came and said it was private property and we couldn't be there. The cop was a K-9 cop and his dog was going crazy, he wanted to eat my dog who is a pit. My pit never barked once. The cop put his dog away and came to talk to us. My pit was smelling him and licking his shoes and the cop said is he okay, I said yes very friendly can you tell and he just laughed. He was nice and let us go, said he was sorry he startled us they just have a lot of vandals. I turned to my sister when we got in the car and said see what a lot of good Champ would have done if there was a predetor, he would have licked his shoes, LOL!

LOL! I know what you mean. We had someone working on our pillars for the deck one time and he left his ladder in the back yard. He came back unannounced and jumped the fence while the dogs were out! I heard my Rottie barking furiously and went out back. This guy was ignoring the dogs completely while folding his ladder up. My Rott was standing about 10 feet from him barking and the whole time my Pitt was running around in circles tossing the guy his deflated volleyball. Once I came out back the Rottie relaxed too but the Pit couldn't have cared less that this guy jumped the fence and was up by the back door of the house.

I have a rottie 'blend' (read: mutt:D) who often must be woken up by us when we get home. Any visitors get licked to within an inch of their life. Anyone who wants to clean us out only has to bring a friend so that Peter can get petted while he runs out with everything we own.

I have a rottie 'blend' (read: mutt:D) who often must be woken up by us when we get home. Any visitors get licked to within an inch of their life. Anyone who wants to clean us out only has to bring a friend so that Peter can get petted while he runs out with everything we own.

:laugh: :laugh: Good watch dog. Mine only barks at someone if it is dark but once he knows who it is he goes back to sleep. The wierd thing is he knows my car, my husbands, and my moms and he won't get up but he will if he hears a car pull in he doesn't know he will get up. I am amazed at dogs hearing and smell.

:laugh: :laugh: Good watch dog. Mine only barks at someone if it is dark but once he knows who it is he goes back to sleep. The wierd thing is he knows my car, my husbands, and my moms and he won't get up but he will if he hears a car pull in he doesn't know he will get up. I am amazed at dogs hearing and smell.

We'll come home from work and the rottie is usually asleep in our bed and the pit is on conked out on the couch. He'll sit up and yawn and then grin at us. We call him smiley. He scrunches his nose all up and shows his teeth and just wiggles all over. Terribly viscious sounding, I know. The rott usually lumbers down the steps a few minutes later stretching and groaning.

One time in the middle of the night they both were barking. I yelled at them to go back to sleep and it turns out that some punks had stolen a work truck and were hitting the cars parked on the street, my hubby's work truck being one of them. A few minutes later our neighbor rang the doorbell and told us what happened. I should've listened to them that night!

We'll come home from work and the rottie is usually asleep in our bed and the pit is on conked out on the couch. He'll sit up and yawn and then grin at us. We call him smiley. He scrunches his nose all up and shows his teeth and just wiggles all over. Terribly viscious sounding, I know. The rott usually lumbers down the steps a few minutes later stretching and groaning.

One time in the middle of the night they both were barking. I yelled at them to go back to sleep and it turns out that some punks had stolen a work truck and were hitting the cars parked on the street, my hubby's work truck being one of them. A few minutes later our neighbor rang the doorbell and told us what happened. I should've listened to them that night!

I know ours smile all the time too. If we have the windows open at night mine will do these random barks everyonce in a while if he hears something outside, drives me nuts when I am startled by this lone bark in the night. We live in the country so there are always animals stalking out side and he hears them and feels the need to make sure everyone else does too. Pits especially love soft things, my too will fight over who sits on the blanket it is so funny, the big one will put his butt right in the middle and the little one will be trying to squeeze in, LOL.

For every good sweet story you hear about a Rott or a Pit, there are 10 bad ones. They do not belong around kids and anyone who ownes either of these pets and has small kids is asking for trouble.

For every good sweet story you hear about a Rott or a Pit, there are 10 bad ones. They do not belong around kids and anyone who ownes either of these pets and has small kids is asking for trouble.

I've owned 2 pits now and have never had a speck of trouble with either one or my Rott. I think we need to agree to disagree.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back