"Who would leave children that young alone?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
He sounds like someone I wouldn't like anywhere near where I holiday with my kids but I can't be convinced that him remembering Madeleine's distinctive right eye is proof that he did it.

Missing: Paedophile Raymond Hewlett is alleged to have admitted seeing Madeleine McCann twice and reportedly remembers her distinctive right eye

Everybody who spent any time following the case and looking at her photos remembers
her distinctive right eye.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-McCann-twice-disappeared.html#ixzz1r9oWoMYL

This is what i dont get. Why take your children on holiday and put them in kids clubs all day and leave them on there own all night? I mean what is the definition of "family holiday" for the McCanns?

I just wish Madeleine had been left at home with a relative who would put Madeleines needs first instead of running off to the pub each night and leaving there children in danger :(

I am amazed at the amount of selfish parents these days. With 3 such young children, why not take a holiday to something like Walt disney World?
Sitting and drinking wine after dinner would not have been that important to me not with 3 young unattended kids back at the room. Just dont understand it.:maddening:And yes, Madeline wouldve been better off being left with a Grandparents while parents Holidayed.

Baby Listening....my goodness.

It fascinates me how we have differing levels of comfort with something like this. After being on these boards for a number of years and reading some pretty sad cases, I'm surprised, really, that I send my kids off to school in the morning!

What the McCann's did (leaving their little ones unsupervised) was atypical and abnormal for the UK too. ;)

There is no British parent I know of that would condone their negligence. One of the main criticisms in the media here at the time was that very factor. FWIW

I believe it is also a criminal offence to leave young children unsupervised in Portugal

He sounds like a crack pot to me. Especially since he wants to be paid for his information.

How could he see MM twice before her abduction? Wouldn't that make her parents involved? Or was the pedophile peeping tom group peering into the apartment in between the parent checks? While the McCanns have their faults, I do not believe they were pimping out their daughter to pervs.

He sounds like a crack pot to me. Especially since he wants to be paid for his information.

How could he see MM twice before her abduction? Wouldn't that make her parents involved? Or was the pedophile peeping tom group peering into the apartment in between the parent checks? While the McCanns have their faults, I do not believe they were pimping out their daughter to pervs.

Super creepy. But BBM...I think that means he noticed her/saw her twice while they were vacationing before she disappeared. He may have seen her in a restaurant or near the pool.

The fact that he has a long history of lying to LE about crimes makes me think he is just hoping for some cash to ease his way out of the world.

I think a lot of people leave their children in their rooms in the evening in these holiday resorts. The mark warner resorts usually offered a nanny listening service. This consisted of the parents leaving the children in their rooms, and every half hour a nanny (young person with a childcare qualification having a working holiday normally) would listen at the door. Thousands of people throughout europe used the system every year at MW resorts, and it is only after Madeleine disappeared the service was withdrawn. The MW resort where the McCanns stayed did not offer this service as the resort was around the village so too spread out, but you can see why the Mccanns thought checking on the children every half an hour was a good alternative.
I personally would not do this, but I realise thousands did, and I know lots of people who would think it was fine. I think in the Uk there has been a tendancy to accuse parents of wrapping up their children in cotton wool, and make out people worried about paedophiles are paranoid readers of red top newspapers. For all that british people are claiming British people never leave their children, the fact is tens of thousands used this nanny listening service, which provided less protection than the McCanns supervision did. maybe it is a case of people letting their guard down on holiday, or thinking "i am only a hundred metres away, what could happen?"
Also there is a cultural thing too, in some northern European countries (not the UK) it is still Ok to leave children outside shops in their prams for instance, or in cars whilst you pop into shops. I do not like this, but I have had friends laugh at me for this. My personal rule is that if you would not leave a fifty pound note in the same place as where you are leaving your children, then you should not leave the children there.

I think a lot of people leave their children in their rooms in the evening in these holiday resorts. The mark warner resorts usually offered a nanny listening service. This consisted of the parents leaving the children in their rooms, and every half hour a nanny (young person with a childcare qualification having a working holiday normally) would listen at the door. Thousands of people throughout europe used the system every year at MW resorts, and it is only after Madeleine disappeared the service was withdrawn. The MW resort where the McCanns stayed did not offer this service as the resort was around the village so too spread out, but you can see why the Mccanns thought checking on the children every half an hour was a good alternative.
I personally would not do this, but I realise thousands did, and I know lots of people who would think it was fine. I think in the Uk there has been a tendancy to accuse parents of wrapping up their children in cotton wool, and make out people worried about paedophiles are paranoid readers of red top newspapers. For all that british people are claiming British people never leave their children, the fact is tens of thousands used this nanny listening service, which provided less protection than the McCanns supervision did. maybe it is a case of people letting their guard down on holiday, or thinking "i am only a hundred metres away, what could happen?"
Also there is a cultural thing too, in some northern European countries (not the UK) it is still Ok to leave children outside shops in their prams for instance, or in cars whilst you pop into shops. I do not like this, but I have had friends laugh at me for this. My personal rule is that if you would not leave a fifty pound note in the same place as where you are leaving your children, then you should not leave the children there.

This is rubbish IMO, I have family all over Northern Europe and have not seen this happen anywhere for more than 20 years

No it is not rubbish, you go to Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden for instance it is still common for people to leave babies in prams outside of shops even in cities. I have never heard of one being abducted. There is not the same culture of fear of stranger abductions of children. It is the same for women's safety, I would think nothing of walking alone at 3 in the morning in copenhagen or stockholm, but would never do that in London or Birmingham. You do get attacks, but very rarely, and there is just not that same culture of fear. For instance I know of a primary school that backs onto a woods, and during break time the children can run around the woods. I do not think this would happen in the UK or America.

No it is not rubbish, you go to Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden for instance it is still common for people to leave babies in prams outside of shops even in cities. I have never heard of one being abducted. There is not the same culture of fear of stranger abductions of children. It is the same for women's safety, I would think nothing of walking alone at 3 in the morning in copenhagen or stockholm, but would never do that in London or Birmingham. You do get attacks, but very rarely, and there is just not that same culture of fear. For instance I know of a primary school that backs onto a woods, and during break time the children can run around the woods. I do not think this would happen in the UK or America.

Well I am sorry but I disagree with you. I have visited relatives in Norway and Sweden and I have never seen occupied prams left outside of shops or preschool children left in cars

These days people in Finland do not leave their babies in prams outside shops. It used to happen in the seventies or so but not any more. Sometimes babies are left to nap outside in their prams but it tends to be in the private backyards of single family homes or balconies, not in public places. There was a respected public health advocate in the last century who said it was good for babies to get a lot of fresh air and it has stuck in Finland, many people think that the babies sleep better outside. I agree that there is not the same level of fear about children getting abducted and I think people are more afraid of having animals attack the sleeping baby in their prams. Older kids may have more degrees of freedom too. Still, everyone in Finland that I know was quite appalled that three kids were left alone so that their parents could wine and dine outside. It would get you in trouble with the social services if you did that in Finland.

Well I am sorry but I disagree with you. I have visited relatives in Norway and Sweden and I have never seen occupied prams left outside of shops or preschool children left in cars

I have visited many countries and have lived abroad as well. I must say, I sure did not notice certain mores, norms and cultural differences when I just visited the countries. But after a good 3 months living there, it is rather clear. It also depends on where your relatives are from prior to moving to a country or how influenced they are by another culture. Just because you didn't see it when you visited, does not mean it is not something that occurs all the time. In fact, given the intense changes being in another country, unless one was specifically looking for kids in cars and prams, it is very easy to not notice it initially when trying to navigate another country. People are different all over the world...I am not going to pass a value judgment based on my ideals.

I've lived in Scandinavia for a good chunk of my life and I've still to see a pram left in front of a shop. Children left briefly in cars, yes, sometimes, if it's not too cold or too hot, which is not often.

But I'm not sure what the customs in Scandinavia have to do with Madeleine McCann.

I've lived in Scandinavia for a good chunk of my life and I've still to see a pram left in front of a shop. Children left briefly in cars, yes, sometimes, if it's not too cold or too hot, which is not often.

But I'm not sure what the customs in Scandinavia have to do with Madeleine McCann.

BBM. Great post! I agree. I think in trying to find commonalities in our experiences, we can't really say we walked exactly in their shoes or what not.

It was part of the conversation earlier about cultural norms.
As for all these people suddenly saying babies are never left out in prams in Scandanavia. I can certainly saw I have seen it, and have friends who do it now in both stockholm and Copenhagen. Try taking a pram around netto, and you will see why it is easier to leave the baby in the pram outside. You maybe will not see it in the main town centre as this is not used so much for supermaret shopping, but certainly a few blocks out it is a common sight.
But as for everyone saying in Europe you would get into trouble with social services for leaving the children like this, this is not true as the nanny listening service was used all over Europe.
Interestingly there has been a few articles about this recently as the British prime minister and his wife accidently left their children behind in a pub after lunch. Quite a few articles and comments in 'papers were made saying this could easily happen etc.

I should say I think they were really foolish leaving the children there, as although they might not have even thought about abduction, children can get up and end up hurting themselves wandering off thorugh unlocked doors etc. I always wondered if it was possible that Madeleine had woken and wondered off and come to harm that way (I did hear something about road works being done nearby and a theory she could have fallen in and been buried). But I cannot see her being able to open the window herself, so that scuppers thta theory.

It was part of the conversation earlier about cultural norms.
As for all these people suddenly saying babies are never left out in prams in Scandanavia. I can certainly saw I have seen it, and have friends who do it now in both stockholm and Copenhagen. Try taking a pram around netto, and you will see why it is easier to leave the baby in the pram outside. You maybe will not see it in the main town centre as this is not used so much for supermaret shopping, but certainly a few blocks out it is a common sight.
But as for everyone saying in Europe you would get into trouble with social services for leaving the children like this, this is not true as the nanny listening service was used all over Europe.
Interestingly there has been a few articles about this recently as the British prime minister and his wife accidently left their children behind in a pub after lunch. Quite a few articles and comments in 'papers were made saying this could easily happen etc.

BBM

This is not true because in my part of Europe I've never even heard of nanny listening service let alone heard of anyone who would think of using one.

If you get caught leaving children alone to go out drinking it gets you charged.

BBM

This is not true because in my part of Europe I've never even heard of nanny listening service let alone heard of anyone who would think of using one.

If you get caught leaving children alone to go out drinking it gets you charged.

Exactly

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members