OK - OU fraternity "SAE" sings racist chant on bus

liljim

Former Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG-wq6SJqjU&feature=youtu.be

in this one you can see people try to stop the person filming, priceless looks on their faces when they realize they are being recorded;

https://instagram.com/p/z_ilNau41L/

statement from UO president;

https://twitter.com/President_Boren/status/574772284658839552/photo/1

"If the video is indeed of OU students, this behavior will not be tolerated and is contrary to all of our values. We are investigating. - DBo"

"Boren later issued an updated statement, saying that "if the reports are true, the chapter will no longer remain on campus."

SAE fraternity response;

http://m.tulsaworld.com/homepagelat...6b2-fe0e-5bee-b6b1-fdc093c7b4c5.html?mode=jqm

"The Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity has closed its chapter at the University of Oklahoma, just hours after a video appeared online Sunday night showing reported members of the organization chanting racial slurs.

“SAE is a diverse organization, and we have zero tolerance for racism or any bad behavior," Brad Cohen, the fraternity’s national president, said in a news release. "When we learned about this incident, I called an immediate board meeting, and we determined with no mental reservation whatsoever that this chapter needed to be closed immediately."

SAE had a bad reputation even when I graduated from OU in 1987.
Guess they finally got what was coming to them.

Repellant. I think racism is a mental illness. I don't get it. I wish more of their ugly faces were recorded. Thanks for posting that second video. Obviously, they clearly know they were wrong in what they were doing. This kind of thing is no longer culturally acceptable but it certainly hasnt gone away. It's just more secretive. But the fact that a coed bus load was doing this chant anywhere in America shows how pervasive racism in America is. We all know what they were taught at home.

They should be expelled.

Repellant. I think racism is a mental illness. I don't get it. I wish more of their ugly faces were recorded. Thanks for posting that second video. Obviously, they clearly know they were wrong in what they were doing. This kind of thing is no longer culturally acceptable but it certainly hasnt gone away. It's just more secretive. But the fact that a coed bus load was doing this chant anywhere in America shows how pervasive racism in America is. We all know what they were taught at home.

They should be expelled.

I don't believe racism is a form of mental illness but I do believe the college greek system does promote racism by its culture of segregation and "likeness" to the point members of sororities dress alike during rush week. I found it offensive in 1972 and declined a bid to join and still wonder why taxpayer-supported universities allow it. The emphasis on partying and alcohol has resulted in deaths and reports of sexual assaults to the point of alarming. So, I say bravo! to the Sooners for kicking them off campus.

JMO

Sounds like one of the dates (the girl filming it?) was horrified and disgusted enough to have blown the guys' cover. Good for her. And she is probably in a sorority, so they aren't all bad apples.

Well that guy's post graduate job opportunities just took a huge hit.

Sounds like one of the dates (the girl filming it?) was horrified and disgusted enough to have blown the guys' cover. Good for her. And she is probably in a sorority, so they aren't all bad apples.

Of course not. Broad brushing people is never a good idea. I will say that the SAE's along with the KA's have a reputation of intolerance of all sorts of people not like them.

She probably was in a sorority and therein lies the problem: the bad apple is a system that is one of exclusion that only pretends to be equal.

JMO

They should be expelled.

I agree that the behavior is repellent. I am not defending them at all.

I wonder, though, if they were expelled could that give them justification for a lawsuit against the university on free speech grounds? I would really appreciate your perspective on this as an attorney.

The abhorrent display on the bus is not indicative of the overall collective in our state or on our campus. The two people who took the videos and put them out for the world to see did so hopefully to expose the offensive behavior and not to brag about it, but I haven't heard either way of their agenda. However, no one stood up and tried to stop it. I find that fact as disturbing as the overt racism. Some believe not everyone on that bus should be punished, but allowing it to continue without a single attempt to curb it deserves their expulsion from the university, too (imo). It is a given those participating should be expelled and not given a free speech pass (which is now the debate going on between legal eagles).

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

This quote has never been so fitting as when applied to this situation. The silence spoke as loudly as the despicable chant spewing from the mouths of bigots. If anyone was offended on that bus including the driver...they should have done something...anything...to stop it and put those arrogant bastards in their places. University President David Boren has said not everyone on the bus should be punished, but I strongly disagree.

Boren said not everyone on the bus was implicated, and someone obviously “outed that activity and was so enraged by it. So we have to be very careful. We can’t have guilt by association. We have to be individually fair.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/stat...cle_9adc448d-7dc3-5a23-907c-c0d9a64bfeb0.html

(And again, we don't know if outrage was behind the videos or not.)

It was all wrong on so many levels of human decency and decorum. Also, I am not going to blame their parents because they are not children who speak without a choice. They are young adults with ethics and morals of their own making. They showed they have none.

ETA: Thank you, Mod!

"I wish the mods would correct the title because it is OU not UO and we are still proud of Oklahoma University."

report the post im sure they will fix it for you, it was a typo.

The OU "SAE mom" got caught repeating the N-word on video... apparently at a frat party. She had a donations page set up after losing her job when OU SAE was closed, and has since removed it. Here's the article on that bit: link

And yet, nothing happened to that black principal that forbid other races from attending "black only meetings".

Why aren't black racists held accountable? Double standards piss me off.

The OU "SAE mom" got caught repeating the N-word on video... apparently at a frat party. She had a donations page set up after losing her job when OU SAE was closed, and has since removed it. Here's the article on that bit: link
its my understanding she was rapping along with a rap song. She should not be dragged into this unless every rapper or person who has song along to a song using n****r is shamed too. JMO

Lyrics of the song: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/trinidadjames/allgoldeverything.html

And yet, nothing happened to that black principal that forbid other races from attending "black only meetings".

Reminds me of the Congressional Black Caucus. And there are hotel/motels in the Fla. keys that are allowed to discriminate against straight people and will only allow gays in. Still doesn't make it right, and you can't outlaw racism.

well, there is a difference between a bus full of people chanting hateful things and a principal holding a meeting solely for black students... whether or not the principal was misguided and the meeting should or should not have been allowed to happen has nothing to do with the situation being discussed in this thread.

"why arent black racists held accountable?"

whether or not this statement is true has no bearing on my opinion of this current situation.

its my understanding she was rapping along with a rap song. She should not be dragged into this unless every rapper or person who has song along to a song using n****r is shamed too. JMO

Lyrics of the song: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/trinidadjames/allgoldeverything.html

it is a matter of context, it would seem that this was not a hateful act on her part and if that is the case hopefully she doesnt get dragged into this. but it is an odd video and it is worthy of looking into to see if the longer version of it still exists as it may be of value in this matter just to give further context (im assuming the video was taken in the house and she is being encouraged by the fraternity members, seems like a reasonable assumption but i certainly dont know for sure)

it is always a matter of context, you can use profanity all you want in most situations, but there are situations where using profanity will get you charged with a crime/into trouble with your employment etc...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back