NY - Mom watches American Idol while toddler nearly drowns

2sisters

Reaction score
http://jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articleAID=/20080303/NEWS09/80303019
Police say a mother of five was watching "American Idol" while her 3-year-old girl nearly drowned in a bathtub at an Indianapolis home last week.

Sheila R. Brooks, 25, has not been charged in connection with the near drowning of Sirius Brooks at a home in the 9300 block of East 42nd Street at shortly after 8:30 p.m. Thursday.

Sirius was in critical condition Friday at Methodist Hospital. Sirius remained at Methodist this morning, but hospital spokesman Gene Ford said he is not releasing any information at the family's request.

Brooks left Sirius and her 1-year-old sister Sereena in the tub with about 9 inches of water and went into another room to get clothes, according to a police report made public this morning.
http://jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080303/NEWS09/80303019

i think it is about time someone neuters this one

I have a 3 year old, & I am having a tough time understanding how she could drown, unless she bumped her head. Leaving a 1 year old unattended in the bathtub for even a moment is flat out negligence. So, yes, I agree with you. But had the 3 year old been in the tub on her own, I think this would be more like a tragic accident. My 3 yo & my 5 yo are at an age now, where they like to take long baths. I will stay on the same level as them & listen for any odd sounds (or silence), but I don't sit there & watch them every second.

Whoops I forgot I left the kids in the tub so "Yo, Daesheana go get them out of the tub. I don't wanna miss the next performance on Idol". Maybe she was so blown out from the weed they found in her house is why she forgot.

A three year old should never be left alone near water...be it a bathtub, pool, lake, river, etc.

I hope someone takes the child from the Mom. Hopefully, she will fully recover.

I have a 3 year old, & I am having a tough time understanding how she could drown, unless she bumped her head. Leaving a 1 year old unattended in the bathtub for even a moment is flat out negligence. So, yes, I agree with you. But had the 3 year old been in the tub on her own, I think this would be more like a tragic accident. My 3 yo & my 5 yo are at an age now, where they like to take long baths. I will stay on the same level as them & listen for any odd sounds (or silence), but I don't sit there & watch them every second.

Yeah, I don't have kids, but I thought it strange that a 3 year could almost drown in 9" of water. I think I would take the exact same approach as you...be folding laundry or something in the next room....

Having said that, I moved out of the family home at TWENTY and if I was in the tub a long time, my mum would call my name and say she was just checking on me!!!

Yeah, I don't have kids, but I thought it strange that a 3 year could almost drown in 9" of water. I think I would take the exact same approach as you...be folding laundry or something in the next room....

Having said that, I moved out of the family home at TWENTY and if I was in the tub a long time, my mum would call my name and say she was just checking on me!!!

A 3 yo is almost still a baby!!
NEVER leave a child so young alone near water... Even 9 inches ...
Plenty of children have drowned in LESS then that.

It is totally irresponsible to leave a 3 year old alone in a tub and with a ONE year old!!! OMG!

Brefie, echoing Amraan. No you can't let a little kid like that in the tub alone. Children have drowned in buckets. Anything could happen to a child in water. Your mom was wise if you were in there a long time. Ya could have hit your head. Anything.

My husband's cousin went out to play with her kin and other neighbor kids when she was four. She tripped and fell face first into a mud puddle. She was already gone when they found her. So yes, it only takes a few inches.

I do agree, I have a 3 year old and can leave her in the bath with the door open of course so I can hear her splashing around. I only put a few inches of water in though and I am always asking if she is, which she never is. I guess it depends on the kid. I could see if she hit her head and was unconsious but how did she just drown? Now the 1 year old is who I would have expected to drown in this situation not the 3 year old.

It is totally irresponsible to leave a 3 year old alone in a tub and with a ONE year old!!! OMG!

Brefie, echoing Amraan. No you can't let a little kid like that in the tub alone. Children have drowned in buckets. Anything could happen to a child in water. Your mom was wise if you were in there a long time. Ya could have hit your head. Anything.

Well, In my head I was chatting to my non-existent 3 year old the whole time, but point well taken, from you all and this story......I won't do that, I promise.
You will NEVER be discussing me via a news story.

:clap: Ditto

I wonder if the three year was prone to have seizures or tried to get out or into the tub by putting both feet on the edge of the tub at the same time. My 6 year old grandson tried to do that and I have to watch him closely. I always sit in the bedroom while he bathes, leave the bathroom door open, and even call his name ever few minutes asking if he is okay. The one year old could have even layed over on the child and held the head under thinking it was playing.

Well, In my head I was chatting to my non-existent 3 year old the whole time, but point well taken, from you all and this story......I won't do that, I promise.
You will NEVER be discussing me via a news story.

Awww, Brefie hopefully you know I wasn't trying to be pushy. I just read my post again and thought "Da*n you're bossy, Filly" LOL Naw, I know we'll never be reading about you at all save for when you are famous for good things.

My question here is why did the mom say she forgot the kids were in the tub and then make the minor go in and get them?

Awww, Brefie hopefully you know I wasn't trying to be pushy. I just read my post again and thought "Da*n you're bossy, Filly" LOL Naw, I know we'll never be reading about you at all save for when you are famous for good things.

OMG, Filly.....when it comes to child safety, you be as pushy as you please :D

You really think my future puppy pound will be that famous?? hehe

Yeah it seems pretty weid to say "oops, I was giving my kids a bath, Doh, i forgot"
I am not sure at what age being left unatteded is safe. I would think that I could leave a 3 YO for a minute to say, throw their clothes in the hamper, grab some PJ's, not sure. Mine are 2 and are really loud in the tub, I would think that I could run to the hamper or something for a second and things would be fine b/c i can hear then squealing and splashing.
It wouldn't be as bad if it was just the 3 year old and she went to do they things listed above or mabe throw some clothes in the wash whatever. but to have a 1 year old too, my gosh .

I'm just now to the point where I don't sit on the toilet seat and read while my son is in the tub, I've "graduated" to watching TV or putting clothes away in the bedroom with the bathroom door open now. My son usually sings at the top of his lungs so I hear him, lol. He's 5 and I definitely wouldn't be out of ear shot! Especially because we have a tub with jets and he likes to turn them on as well as the fact that he likes to sit on the side and slide into the tub. He knows he's not supposed to do this because of the mess and the danger but has a tendancy to "forget".

On another note, I used to work for a family a few years ago and still keep in touch with them. When I had my kids she said to me "never leave them in a tub alone" She was a very good mother, so attentive and just the poster woman for good attentive parenting. her kids grew up to be wonderful people To watch her with her disabled child (who was at this time 27, she was injured badly in a car accident, not at birth, I didn't want anyone to think she left a disabled child alone in the tub) was amazing, but she left her 2 oldest unnattended to answer the phone when they were 2 and 3. She heard slpashing and giggling so though all was ok, but she came back to find her 2 year old holding the 3year olds head underwater! Nobody was hurt, but she did feel guilt over it. What if she had been a minute later or even just seconds later?

When the kids were young, bath time was a challenge. But not once, were the children ever left alone. I brought everything we needed into the bathroom. With our first one, I even took the temperature of the bath, made sure the room was warm enough, heated the towels. That lasted only for the first child........although I continued with the heater......

The phone would ring, the doorbell would chime, if I did have to go into another room for some reason, I scooped him up in my arms.

Our oldest loved and I mean loved his baths. Now it is his `long` teenage showers.........

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back