GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody! Time to throw in my two penn’orth.

There are so many interesting aspects to this bizarre case. Focusing on just one for now: people are asking, “why won’t the police just eliminate GR once-and-for-all?”

Well, the police must surely have established that GR has a cast-iron alibi – it would be one of the more straightforward tasks in this intriguing case. He left Bristol at such a time as to be in Sheffield well before midnight. If he’d hung around and not got away till say 10pm – and everything seems to point to her having been murdered in the flat that evening, and carried off over the murderer's shoulder in the dead of night - he’d have been arriving well after midnight. Things were complicated by the weather of course, but the police can factor that in (their own motorway patrols would be aware of how traffic was flowing on the route he took). Also, his mobile would have revealed his whereabouts, unless he’d taken the battery out (as someone on here has already pointed out, I think).

However, the police may also suspect – or know - that his relationship with Jo was not as idyllic as has been portrayed. The fact that he thought it was “not untypical” for her to ignore his calls - on this occasion for more than two whole days, even after his long and difficult journey through blizzards, and with her supposedly having time on her hands at home all weekend - speaks volumes. It’s also consistent with the police’s even considering as a possibility her having let a Facebook stranger(s) (how can you call them “friends”?) into her home without GR’s knowledge. Think about it: even if he’d thought the relationship was rock solid before he went to Sheffield, it certainly wouldn’t have been after his return, once he’d found out that she’d entertained a stranger(s) in their own home behind his back. He’d have every right to feel disappointed in her - to put it mildly! I'm not saying she definitely did invite someone in, but then you don't have to, in order to conclude that all was not well with their relationship.

In summary, he has an alibi, but he may also have had a motive. Consequently, if he were involved, it could only have been through an accomplice – unlikely, maybe, but I imagine the police cannot rule this out at this stage, hence, but only for this reason, cannot formally rule him out yet.
Hi Slewth..yes..seems less likely to be GR as time goes on. His 'accomplice' could only be the person who confirmed his alibi and the L/E seem (but who knows?) content with his account of his movements.

With regard to your other point about no contact after a long journey...I found that extremely strange as most of my friends (even those who abhor mobile 'phones) always 'check in' to confirm they have arrived safely with either their partner or family..well odd.

Swab 'em all, wot?

O'er-lenghty article introducing into the Jo equation the Yate, Bristol, murder of "tragic Louise Smith, 18," whose 1995 murderer David Frost (no, not that one) was found after attempting to avoid mass-swabbing of males in the area:

Parents of 1995 murder victim urge police to carry out DNA tests near Jo Yeates’ house

The parents of Louise today urged the same police force that caged their daughter’s killer to take swabs from people in the Clifton area of Bristol.

Gillian Smith, 63, said DNA tests on residents in upmarket Clifton, Bristol, where Jo went missing, would help achieve “justice” for her parents David and Teresa.

She said: ”I would hope that people in the area are tested when the police are ready to do it.

”If they have a sample of DNA and no match on the national database, then they should use it.

”They should test residents near where she lived in Clifton and where her body was found."

http://swns.com/parents-of-1995-mur...ut-dna-tests-near-jo-yeates-house-071551.html

Question: should DNA samples from area residents be a requirement in the Yeates case? It did nail Colin Pitchfork once upon a time.

Thoughts?

Welcome to Websleuths Mikeybot, I wrote a similar story where the b/f returned the belongings, and I was thinking of saying he took the body with him, it would give him a better time line, but I left it out, but an interesting theory.
Hi, thanks for the welcome, if it was G/R he would not want to have been seen back near the home address until the end of his visit...as the neighbours had, allegedly, helped him start the car.

Swab 'em all, wot?

O'er-lenghty article introducing into the Jo equation the Yate, Bristol, murder of "tragic Louise Smith, 18," whose 1995 murderer David Frost (no, not that one) was found after attempting to avoid mass-swabbing of males in the area:

Parents of 1995 murder victim urge police to carry out DNA tests near Jo Yeates’ house

Question: should DNA samples from area residents be a requirement in the Yeates case? It did nail Colin Pitchfork once upon a time.

Thoughts?
I think most members of the public, who live in or around Clifton[, would have no objection to giving a DNA sample..but guess there will be those who would worry that the samples would remain on the police database and may implicate them in some future crime. Many believe that it is a little too much like 'Big Brother' (1984) and if someone has access to your DNA they may be able to plant it.? Would be interesting to see who, in the immediate area, refuses a DNA test though?/I]

........But I am surprised that little attention has been paid to her decision to buy two smallish bottles rather than one full size one. Does this not suggest that she was expecting to meet someone ?

I think it was Bargain Booze that she visited - correct me please if I am wrong, but they do deals such as Jacques Fruit Cider 2 for 6.50 so I think that may not be so strange after all, jmo.
http://www.bargainbooze.co.uk/categories/cider/index.html?page=2

I think most members of the public, who live in or around Clifton[, would have no objection to giving a DNA sample..but guess there will be those who would worry that the samples would remain on the police database and may implicate them in some future crime. Many believe that it is a little too much like 'Big Brother' (1984) and if someone has access to your DNA they may be able to plant it.? Would be interesting to see who, in the immediate area, refuses a DNA test though?/I]

Yep, agreeing all down the line. Recently a distant cousin, who's done work on our family tree, paid for me to send a DNA sample (via swabs) to a firm in New Orleans to keep on file - to try and match up with far-flung members of the family, ancestry-wise, something like that.

I couldn't really say no, as the genealogical work she's done has been enormous and I've benefited from it, knowing when we got over here and why, etc. etc., having the whole family chart from 1685 on, that sort of thing. But I did think, "Hey, wait, do I really want my DNA on file anywhere?"

Swab 'em all, wot?

Thoughts?

I'm a law abiding citizen so I have no qualms about there being a national DNA database.

Civil liberty do-gooders in the UK say it's an infringement of human rights. Its no more an infringement of civil liberties than having to have a diving licence or passport or national insurance number.

I can't see the problem with it - although it won't always point the finger directly at the culprit, it will lead to a suspect.

Hi everybody! Time to throw in my two penn’orth.

There are so many interesting aspects to this bizarre case. Focusing on just one for now: people are asking, “why won’t the police just eliminate GR once-and-for-all?”

Well, the police must surely have established that GR has a cast-iron alibi – it would be one of the more straightforward tasks in this intriguing case. He left Bristol at such a time as to be in Sheffield well before midnight. If he’d hung around and not got away till say 10pm – and everything seems to point to her having been murdered in the flat that evening, and carried off over the murderer's shoulder in the dead of night - he’d have been arriving well after midnight. Things were complicated by the weather of course, but the police can factor that in (their own motorway patrols would be aware of how traffic was flowing on the route he took). Also, his mobile would have revealed his whereabouts, unless he’d taken the battery out (as someone on here has already pointed out, I think).

However, the police may also suspect – or know - that his relationship with Jo was not as idyllic as has been portrayed. The fact that he thought it was “not untypical” for her to ignore his calls - on this occasion for more than two whole days, even after his long and difficult journey through blizzards, and with her supposedly having time on her hands at home all weekend - speaks volumes. It’s also consistent with the police’s even considering as a possibility her having let a Facebook stranger(s) (how can you call them “friends”?) into her home without GR’s knowledge. Think about it: even if he’d thought the relationship was rock solid before he went to Sheffield, it certainly wouldn’t have been after his return, once he’d found out that she’d entertained a stranger(s) in their own home behind his back. He’d have every right to feel disappointed in her - to put it mildly! I'm not saying she definitely did invite someone in, but then you don't have to, in order to conclude that all was not well with their relationship.

In summary, he has an alibi, but he may also have had a motive. Consequently, if he were involved, it could only have been through an accomplice – unlikely, maybe, but I imagine the police cannot rule this out at this stage, hence, but only for this reason, cannot formally rule him out yet.

Interesting post.

Add to the questionable state of their relationship; this is the first time she has ever stayed in the flat on her own!! A basement flat with, shall we say, some odd characters for neighbours, they’ve only been in town a couple of months, and you don’t want to know that she is ok?
Another reason why I find it hard to theorise that these known neighbours could have been involved; they have lived in the area for many, many years, I feel sure that they would have known a more discreet/remote spot to have left a body, I don’t think one of them would risk parking up in Longland (what a narrow street!!!) Greg on the other hand had only lived there for a couple of months, and this road leads to the motorway he would have needed to travel to Sheffield.

I know this might be very unpopular, but has anyone considered ‘erotic asphyxiation’ – perhaps they were engaged in some ‘fun’ and she died, and he has covered it up to spare her (and his) embarrassment? How you gonna tell the in laws that! It really isn’t my intention to offend, but I don’t think it can be ruled out, can it? What with the police ‘not ruling out sexual motive’ but no signs of ‘sexual assault’

I will edit the above if it really offends.

that dna thing kinda freaks me out (& I'm not a criminal) so I can imagine how freaked out the actual killer(s) would be ...

Interesting post.

Add to the questionable state of their relationship; this is the first time she has ever stayed in the flat on her own!! A basement flat with, shall we say, some odd characters for neighbours, they’ve only been in town a couple of months, and you don’t want to know that she is ok?
Another reason why I find it hard to theorise that these known neighbours could have been involved; they have lived in the area for many, many years, I feel sure that they would have known a more discreet/remote spot to have left a body, I don’t think one of them would risk parking up in Longland (what a narrow street!!!) Greg on the other hand had only lived there for a couple of months, and this road leads to the motorway he would have needed to travel to Sheffield.

I know this might be very unpopular, but has anyone considered ‘erotic asphyxiation’ – perhaps they were engaged in some ‘fun’ and she died, and he has covered it up to spare her (and his) embarrassment? How you gonna tell the in laws that! It really isn’t my intention to offend, but I don’t think it can be ruled out, can it? What with the police ‘not ruling out sexual motive’ but no signs of ‘sexual assault’

I will edit the above if it really offends.

[bbm]

and there's yet one more reason for me to suspect him ...

I agree with previous posters who've said that his behaviour strikes them as odd ...

I get really creeped out looking at his pic

They could be looking for the sock...

Maybe the sock was recovered at the scene early on in the investigation and the police havse sent out a red herring about a missing sock to see who pops up near the body dump site.

Only reason I can see for the police not appealing for the missing sock straight away in the same way they wanted to find the missing pizza.

brilliant
I hadn't thought of that

Red herring-wise (if the "missing" sock turns out to have been a police ploy), I still think it would be a dangerous game they're playing - the constabulary is under enough pressure, and is beginning to be viewed at this time as ineffective and misguided; can't believe they'd throw meat to the press jackals by lying on camera in the faint hopes they'd find the perp that way.

Yep, agreeing all down the line. Recently a distant cousin, who's done work on our family tree, paid for me to send a DNA sample (via swabs) to a firm in New Orleans to keep on file - to try and match up with far-flung members of the family, ancestry-wise, something like that.

I couldn't really say no, as the genealogical work she's done has been enormous and I've benefited from it, knowing when we got over here and why, etc. etc., having the whole family chart from 1685 on, that sort of thing. But I did think, "Hey, wait, do I really want my DNA on file anywhere?"
Ooops!

Possible scenario:

Jo arrives home - she's got the flat to herself for the weekend and is looking forward to some "me" time. (Anyone else know what I mean?)

She decides to leave drinks early so she can get home, have a nice, hot, relaxing bubble bath, pizza, cider and a film.

She gets home, takes off shoes, coat, dumps bag.

Pours herself a glass of cider - and drinks some - she intends to relax in her bubble bath with the cider. The pizza will be cooked after her bath.

On way to run the bath, she starts to undress starting with her sock.

She takes one off and then finds an intruder (could be CJ the snooping landlord) hiding behind the shower curtains (not sure ir they have shower / shower curtains.)

Jo is shocked, horrifed and frightened.

The perp is unable to calm her. Jo backs away from the bathroom screaming. A struggle ensues and the pizza is damaged.

Trying to defend herself, Jo puts up her hands which still contain her sock...

To silence her, the sock is grabbed by the perp and is used to strangle Jo.

What do we know about the DNA sample they have? I got the impression that it wasn’t of high quality.

But, in any case, it could be from someone she brushed against in the pub earlier in the evening (eg a piece of finger nail caught on her clothing), unless this can be ruled out by its location on her body.

Also, I feel the murderer was probably wearing gloves – either just because it was a bitterly cold night, or because we’re talking about an experienced killing-machine who’d have come prepared.

They’d need to be pretty certain it was a local person before testing everyone’s DNA – otherwise, how far from the crime scene would you draw the line?

Red herring-wise (if the "missing" sock turns out to have been a police ploy), I still think it would be a dangerous game they're playing - the constabulary is under enough pressure, and is beginning to be viewed at this time as ineffective and misguided; can't believe they'd throw meat to the press jackals by lying on camera in the faint hopes they'd find the perp that way.

I do - look what happened to Colin Stagg in the Rachel Nikell murder - that was very high profile at the time.

Daily Star offers up a bit of common sense (for a change):

Police believe the timing of the 25-year-old’s disappearance is “crucial’’ and are studying her texts, phone calls and emails to draw up a list of everyone who knew she was going to be alone. A senior source told the Daily Star: “It would be extraordinary to suggest it was a coincidence that Jo was attacked the very first time she had been on her own since she moved in,

“In our experience you rarely get coincidences in murder cases. A key aspect of our investigation is working out exactly who knew she’d be alone.

“It is possible she was being watched. She may have been attacked by a stalker she didn’t know she had.’’

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/170731/Killer-lay-in-wait-to-snatch-Joanna-Yeates/

What was significant about the weather on the night of Fri 17th was not the amount of snow that actually fell (2” perhaps), but the amount of snow that was FORECAST to fall (a lot more, I believe – perhaps 6”). The Met Office were routinely pessimistic in their forecasts at this time.

The atrocious weather was big news at the time, and something of which a murderer in the flat, with a dead body on his hands, would have been acutely aware.

Because having decided to move the body in the dead of night, he’d have seen the snow start to fall, and become extremely concerned about getting caught in it. It wouldn’t do to hit a lamppost with a corpse in the passenger seat, would it? Or get stuck in a snowdrift in Longwood Lane?

No, he got that body out pdq – he certainly didn’t wait until Sunday, as some have suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam