PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point in time are the statements about the 1998 abuse allegations going to become redundant as applied to a man declared legally dead and unable to tell us WHY he did ANYTHING or DIDN'T DO ANOTHET THING?

This continual posting of the same thing over and over " Gricar knew about Vic 6 and chose not to prosecute" is getting to be both redundant and harmful to the good name of a man who cannot answer back.

Is there anyone following Mr. Gricar's disappearance who doesn't KNOW this by now? I think not!!!

If we gave up on redundant information being discussed, then most missing people here at WS would not be remembered at all. No one is trying to diss Mr. Gricar. Respectfully, no one in my circle of acquaintances has any idea who he is.

By trying to "re-hash" everything here, we try to find something...anything....new, that might click open a clue.

If we don't do that, this thread is dead. Our goal is to persevere. We are into finding answers...and if not that, then keeping remembrance alive.

"Cleland also expressed doubt that prosecutors had made their case for indecent assault related to alleged Victim 6- the case that Prosecutor Ray Gricar declined to pursue in 1998- but denied the request for the case to be thrown out and said a jury will decide."
Sara Ganim, PennLive, June 18,2012 at 9:49am

"Cleland also expressed doubt that prosecutors had made their case for indecent assault related to alleged Victim 6- the case that Prosecutor Ray Gricar declined to pursue in 1998- but denied the request for the case to be thrown out and said a jury will decide."
Sara Ganim, PennLive, June 18,2012 at 9:49am

That referrers to one specific charge related to Victim 6 "Indecent Assault of a Person Less than 13 Years of Age." It is a misdemeanor and, if convicted on that charge alone, it wouldn't even land Sandusky on Meagan's List.

There are ten other charges related to that incident, four of which are felonies. The felonies are all "Unlawful Contact with Minor." Conviction on the felonies would require Sandusky to be listed.

The judge has ruled, based on less evidence that there was in 1998, that all the charges would be sent to a jury. I do agree that specific "Indecent Assault," will be difficult to prove.

A full breakdown on the charges, including links to the statute, is available here: http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/19/2992124/speculative-reasons.html#storylink=cpy

I wouldn't have been to surprised if Sandusky had been charged in 1998 with "Indecent Assault" they would have found him not guilty and would find him guilty today. The cumulative effect of the other charges might sway the jurors.

The judge has ruled, based on less evidence that there was in 1998, that all the charges would be sent to a jury. I do agree that specific "Indecent Assault," will be difficult to prove.

A full breakdown on the charges, including links to the statute, is available here: http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/19/2992124/speculative-reasons.html#storylink=cpy

I wouldn't have been to surprised if Sandusky had been charged in 1998 with "Indecent Assault" they would have found him not guilty and would find him guilty today. The cumulative effect of the other charges might sway the jurors.

Sandusky was convicted on all charges related to Victim 6, except for "Indecent Assault," a misdemeanor. That was not unexpected. Had he been convicted on the same charges in 1998-99, he would have faced 5-7 years on the felony and been on Meagan's List.

I can only say thank you to the jury and Attorney General's Office.

Ray Gricar declined to file charges.

Sandusky was convicted on all charges related to Victim 6, except for "Indecent Assault," a misdemeanor. That was not unexpected. Had he been convicted on the same charges in 1998-99, he would have faced 5-7 years on the felony and been on Meagan's List.

I am glad that Sandusky will now pay for what he has done. More relieved and grateful to the jury for their verdicts than words can express. I've cried.
That being said, I hope so very much that the last news/ information people remember about Ray Gricar is NOT that he didn't take Vic 6's case forward.
It would be a grave injustice to the memory of a man who did so much good in his lifetime.

This is what I wanted to say earlier in this thread when everyone was whooping on and on about Victim 6 and the current Sandusky trial. Also, we can second guess, but we can never know if Victim 6's testimony would have resulted in any convictions of a " Penn State icon" and Second Mile founder and " philanthropist" .

Sandusky is a blight upon this earth, but we must separate HIS actions from Ray Gricar's thinking, because we do NOT know why he didn't take Victim 6's case forward.
He is not here to speak in his own behalf.

Fellow posters, friends, can we please go back to discussing the missing persons case of Ray Frank Gricar?

Sandusky is a blight upon this earth, but we must separate HIS actions from Ray Gricar's thinking, because we do NOT know why he didn't take Victim 6's case forward.
He is not here to speak in his own behalf.

Fellow posters, friends, can we please go back to discussing the missing persons case of Ray Frank Gricar?

Agreed in part, but they might be related either to voluntary departure or to foul play Or not.

The decision is strange enough to raise questions.

Since this was the topic before recent events, :) can we conclude that RFG might have some plausible reason to voluntarily leave?

If RFG's body had been found and it was determined he had committed suicide, would his daughter have received the same benefits as she did when he was declared dead?

If RFG's body had been found and it was determined he had committed suicide, would his daughter have received the same benefits as she did when he was declared dead?

Yes, if it was determined that he died while in office, at least in terms of pension benefits.

It is possible that some life insurance might require a specific period of time between purchase and death by suicide; I think it is 2-5 years. I have not heard of any pre disappearance purchases.

Also, there was some cost in his daughter becoming administrator and declaring him dead, but not excessive.

Since this was the topic before recent events, :) can we conclude that RFG might have some plausible reason to voluntarily leave?

Of course we can speculate that he might have varied reasons to take his leave voluntarily. :)
However, I think we should keep in mind the statement issued by LE formally that there is NO reason to believe there is a connection between the recent activity in PA and Mr. Gricar's disappearance 7 years ago.

WS has had a long-standing policy of NOT VICTIMIZING A VICTIM.
If we break this tenet, even in the absence of known foul play against Mr. Gricar, then we have little personal integrity and even less compassion for a missing person now declared dead.

Thanks, JJ,
Maria

Of course we can speculate that he might have varied reasons to take his leave voluntarily. :)
However, I think we should keep in mind the statement issued by LE formally that there is NO reason to believe there is a connection between the recent activity in PA and Mr. Gricar's disappearance 7 years ago.

My point was is that there may be numerous motives, including Sandusky, but not limited to it, for walkaway. I'm saying that there could be a number of possible motives, some honorable, and some not. I think, after this, we should concede that RFG could have a motive to leave voluntarily, and not focus on what motive is (unless there is a new development). I'd like to just leave a motive for walkaway off the table and stipulate that there could be one. This was big point of discussion prior to 11/5/11.

As for murder, I'd still look at potential motives, but that could include Sandusky.

I'm actually interested in the means for getting out of Lewisburg. Even in terms of foul play, I can't see him being forced into a car (well, at least by one person) in that parking lot.

Here are some photos of that lot: https://picasaweb.google.com/LookingforRay

Just my 2 cents: when it comes to a missing person case, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

If it's already decided that RFG is simply dead. Cased closed. What's the point of the thread?

Just my 2 cents: when it comes to a missing person case, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

If it's already decided that RFG is simply dead. Cased closed. What's the point of the thread?

I haven't concluded anything. I'm think primarily about a motive for voluntary departure. I can come up with a whole bunch of theoretical reasons why RFG might. I'm wondering if we can just concede that RFG could have had a motive to walk away, and not dwell on what it could be?

I have always had the upmost respect and admiration for Mr. Gricar, and especially his nephew Tony for "stepping up to the plate" and being a voice for his uncle. That being said, I believe that something went terribly wrong in "Happy Valley" regarding Mr. Gricar. I believe it is time for fresh eyes to look at his case, and this time include the "monster" in it. IMO, if Mr. Gricar is REALLY dead, he could very well of been killed for turning his head or for wanting to move forward with this case. As for Mr. Gricar's reputation, from what I know he did MANY good things for the women in PA., but not believing the victim who came forward, will be his legacy.

I won't believe he is dead until they find his body.

Isn't it important for people to know that there is no more evidence today than there wa in 1989? For people to claim there wasn't enough evidence, I want to know where the "new" evidence came from. Simply stated, LE and Mr. Gricar chose not to believe "victim 6" and imo they could have saved MANY from being victimized by this monster.

Five to seven years would have saved HOW MANY of the victims? And he would have been on the SEX OFFENDERS list and kept away from the Second Mile, and the children he preyed upon.

I haven't concluded anything. I'm think primarily about a motive for voluntary departure. I can come up with a whole bunch of theoretical reasons why RFG might. I'm wondering if we can just concede that RFG could have had a motive to walk away, and not dwell on what it could be?

Yes. We've discussed voluntary walkaway for years with no clear- cut motive known to us. Unless Ray Gricar was in a very rare fugue state mentally, HE knew why he left, if he left, but we don't know.

That's my point. We can discuss everything we know, which is very little, but we cannot assign an absolute reason ( personal or professional) to anything Mr. Gricar did but did not explain in clear terms.
IMO, he wasn't a man of many words, so most of the things we wonder about are subject to our own perceptions, our own bias,
and also IMO, are subject to the current anger which should be directed against a pedophile.

I think it is extremely short- sighted and vengeful to say that Ray Gricar's legacy in office will be his failure to prosecute Sandusky. I will never hold the opinion of him held by one of the newer posters in Mr. Gricar's case ( probably brought here by the Sandusky cases).

There is/ was much about Mr. Gricar to be admired. He was a highly regarded, hard-working DA for many years. He is/was loved by his family.
He is/ was a man of integrity. I stand by my long- held opinions on his moral character.
No human is perfect, and hindsight is 20/20.

The anger belongs in the Sandusky case threads, because we do not KNOW why Ray Gricar acted or failed to act, or what he might have done which is not currently a matter of public record due to the length of time that's passed. Also, the fact that he cannot speak up for himself should be remembered before harsh sentiments are expressed against him.

What is short-sighted and vengeful is for another poster to dismiss a posters valid opinion. As for being "new" or brought here by Sandusky's case, if you are talking about me, you are wrong on both counts.

I have done lots of research on Mr. Gricar's case at my own expense. For you to act like you know who i am or why i am here is not only dissrespectful, it is heartbreaking. The ONLY reason I am here is to search for the TRUTH about Mr. Gricar. IF we turn our heads to the decision he made in 1989, that makes us one of them....THERE was a REASON he chose NOT to prosecute.

Maybe MIke Madiera could answer some of the inter-office questions, and of course how HE is related to "Jer."

Isn't it important for people to know that there is no more evidence today than there wa in 1989? For people to claim there wasn't enough evidence, I want to know where the "new" evidence came from. Simply stated, LE and Mr. Gricar chose not to believe "victim 6" and imo they could have saved MANY from being victimized by this monster.

Five to seven years would have saved HOW MANY of the victims? And he would have been on the SEX OFFENDERS list and kept away from the Second Mile, and the children he preyed upon.

First, there was more evidence in 1998, and additional victim, B. K, who couldn't testify before the grand jury, because he was in the military.

Even a failed prosecution, or a plea bargain, would have probably protected several of the victims, but not all of them. Some of them predate the incident.

It was a mistake[/i], a horrible, and colossal mistake. It may be related to his disappearance or something random. Maybe we'll find out it was more than a mistake, or a colossal collapse of judgment, but the evidence is there at this point.

This is part of the legacy of Ray Gricar, but to be balanced, it is not the entire legacy. I've looked at his cases, both before and after 11/5/11. Every time I look, I see him, often personally, trying difficult cases, sometimes high profile case, that he'd lose. Same with high profile Penn State cases. Sometimes he'd bring charges only to have a judge say that he didn't have enough and toss it prior to a jury hearing it.

Ray Gricar was a had hitting prosecutor, that would take tough cases, but not with Sandusky in 1998. That is his legacy. Why that "but" is in there is questionable; him backing off politically doesn't make a great deal of sense. Neither does not enough evidence.

The problem that I have is that Victim 6 (and B. K.) are just so atypical of his record. How he handled it, internally in the office, seems to be atypical as well. Honestly, there is no love lost between Arnold and myself, but she certainly seems to have been in favor of handling it differently and probably better. She wasn't called to rebut Schreffler and she praised Schreffler. Heck, Schreffler praised Gricar apart from this.

The question that I have, primarily is if this is related to his disappearance. Obviously, if walkaway, it could, on many levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth