OK - Douglas Polk for kidnapping, rape of 5yo girl, Broken Arrow, 2007

IdahoMom, I'm the same way with my kids. These perverts are getting too bold and we really need to keep our children more safe than ever.

It makes me sad that this little girl went through this. I will pray that her memories will fade. I hope she doesn't have flashbacks when she's older and in a relationship. :( It really breaks my heart.

Yep! Deb, I saw in SS's article that a neighbor said that her own 5 year old daughter plays in their front yard, too, and that for the time being, she won't anymore. That comment staggered me! Does the neighbor think that once this guy's caught her daughter will be safe to play in the front yard again? I still don't let my daughter hang out in our front yard alone and she's 13! Women in their late teens and early twenties are being taken out of public parking lots in broad daylight! I don't understand why parents think their kids are safer than those women for some reason. Parents need to wake up!

I'm afraid she probably does think it will be safe once he's caught. I don't understand why they don't realize there are many more just like him out there. All it takes is a few minutes to grab a kid.

I didn't see any mention in the article of the child's parents having reported her missing. Did they know she was missing before she was found naked and bleeding eight miles away?
When mine were that young I let them play directly in front of our home so that I could see them, but they had to stay together and I made sure the window or door was open so that I could hear them too. I taught them to scream , fight and run if anyone came near and believe me, they could wake the neighbors a block away. More than a minute or two of silence and I would have been out the door to see what they were up to.

Little ones like that can't be allowed to play alone, they are just too vulnerable, no matter how smart they are and no matter how safe you think your neighborhood is. Experienced criminals look for neighborhoods where people think they are safe because that is the easiest place to find unsupervised children!

Susan

Yep! Deb, I saw in SS's article that a neighbor said that her own 5 year old daughter plays in their front yard, too, and that for the time being, she won't anymore. That comment staggered me! Does the neighbor think that once this guy's caught her daughter will be safe to play in the front yard again? I still don't let my daughter hang out in our front yard alone and she's 13! Women in their late teens and early twenties are being taken out of public parking lots in broad daylight! I don't understand why parents think their kids are safer than those women for some reason. Parents need to wake up!

The problem with this logic is this:

It's far far far more dangerous for your 5-year-old to ride in an automobile than to play in her front yard. Chances are greater that she will be badly harmed or perish in a car than from a person who would hurt her.

And yet - I don't see parents saying "How in the world can you allow your child to travel in a car when you know all the dangers that are out there on the roads?!" And I don't see parents driving in carts with horses.

Parents allow their children the freedom to play in a front yard for the same reason that parents transport their children in vehicles - the rewards/conveniences seem to outweigh the risks. Yet, cars are more dangerous than predators to our children and we should not forget this.

I'm not going to forget there are predators out there just because car travel is more dangerous. Parents need to take precautions ( watch their children, put them in car seats, drive carefully etc.) in both situations. One does not outweigh the other in my mind.

I'm not going to forget there are predators out there just because car travel is more dangerous. Parents need to take precautions ( watch their children, put them in car seats, drive carefully etc.) in both situations. One does not outweigh the other in my mind.

The world is a dangerous place, to be sure. But it's not so dangerous that I won't put my child in a car or let my teenaged daughter in the yard by herself!

The world is a dangerous place, to be sure. But it's not so dangerous that I won't put my child in a car or let my teenaged daughter in the yard by herself!

I wouldn't be that strict with my teenaged daughter but only because by that time she would have all the dangers drummed into her head and know what to do and how to get help. I'm pretty much talking about very young children. At 5, my children would not be in the yard alone for even a few minutes.

I wouldn't be that strict with my teenaged daughter but only because by that time she would have all the dangers drummed into her head and know what to do and how to get help. I'm pretty much talking about very young children. At 5, my children would not be in the yard alone for even a few minutes.

I surely understand your concerns. I was just pointing out that different parents have different comfort levels. At 5 both my sons were allowed out in the fenced backyard with our big dog by themselves. Our yard is set up so that I could see them easily from most any room, so I was comfortable with that. Some parents wouldn't be!

I didn't realize that Australia didn't have the Death Penalty. Sounds like Aussies need to rise up and change that!

I agree...there is no reason to waste the resources it takes to keep them locked up. They are a waste of skin, air, and energy. Their bodies would find better use in a lab somewhere to cure the ills of society.
I believe Canada doesn't have the death penalty either. Last I heard they won't extradite murder suspects back to the U.S. unless the U.S. agrees not to seek the death penalty either.

I don't understand why countries don't understand the basis for the DP. The punishment fits the crime especially if you have DNA to guarantee the person is guilty beyond ANY doubt.

I totally agree! Why on earth would you let a five year old play alone in the front yard? When my kids were that age...I was with them if they were outside unless they were secure in my backyard and I was watching them from inside. They didn't leave my sight because so much can happen with simple accidents or with a five year old curiousity...elaborate accidents!

The problem with this logic is this:

It's far far far more dangerous for your 5-year-old to ride in an automobile than to play in her front yard. Chances are greater that she will be badly harmed or perish in a car than from a person who would hurt her.

And yet - I don't see parents saying "How in the world can you allow your child to travel in a car when you know all the dangers that are out there on the roads?!" And I don't see parents driving in carts with horses.

Parents allow their children the freedom to play in a front yard for the same reason that parents transport their children in vehicles - the rewards/conveniences seem to outweigh the risks. Yet, cars are more dangerous than predators to our children and we should not forget this.

To each, his own. :D :angel:

My kids ride in cars, but if they drive like buttheads or if I find out their friends do, those type of rides will be eliminated. They can ride with boring Mom in a seat belt instead of raising the risk factor by joyriding at excessive speeds.

My opinions/feelings about the matter are based on a number of life experiences, including when the daughter of one of my best friends had her throat slit by a neighbor and the fact we have a registered sex offender in our neighborhood. Add to that the fact that another man has conveniently chosen to park at one of the parks in my neighborhood for no real reason on several occasions (this is a park INSIDE a subdivision). When an on-the ball neighbor approached him to ask him if he was waiting for someone, he left. That neighbor had a hinky enough feeling that she reported the incident(s) to neighborhood watch. Turns out the guy is a repeat sex offender and he has several different cars, not just the one he's been in in our neighborhood. The *advertiser censored* doesn't even live in my subdivision. My neighborhood has several tot lots and neighborhood parks and I see why it could be a lure for people that are up to no good.

If grown women can be abducted in broad daylight in a parking lot (Dru Sjodin, Kelsey in Kansas, etc.) why couldn't a sex offender in my neighborhood take an opportunity when he can see that no one is apparently looking?

To each, his own. :D :angel:

My kids ride in cars, but if they drive like buttheads or if I find out their friends do, those type of rides will be eliminated. They can ride with boring Mom in a seat belt instead of raising the risk factor by joyriding at excessive speeds.

My opinions/feelings about the matter are based on a number of life experiences, including when the daughter of one of my best friends had her throat slit by a neighbor and the fact we have a registered sex offender in our neighborhood. Add to that the fact that another man has conveniently chosen to park at one of the parks in my neighborhood for no real reason on several occasions (this is a park INSIDE a subdivision). When an on-the ball neighbor approached him to ask him if he was waiting for someone, he left. That neighbor had a hinky enough feeling that she reported the incident(s) to neighborhood watch. Turns out the guy is a repeat sex offender and he has several different cars, not just the one he's been in in our neighborhood. The *advertiser censored* doesn't live in my subdivision. My neighborhood has several tot lots and neighborhood parks and I see why it could be a lure for people that are up to no good.

If grown women can be abducted in broad daylight in a parking lot (Dru Sjodin, Kelsey in Kansas, etc.) why couldn't a sex offender in my neighborhood take an opportunity when he can't see that anyone's watching their child?

Idaho,

Please know I deeply respect your opinion - I was just stating my own thoughts, not trying to belittle yours!! :blowkiss:

SCM

Idaho,

Please know I deeply respect your opinion - I was just stating my own thoughts, not trying to belittle yours!! :blowkiss:

SCM

That's cool- I didn't feel belittled.:) We all form our beliefs a bit differently. The crime against my friend's daughter several years ago was when I really started to see the world differently as far as my kids are concerned. I know I can't protect them forever- but I would like for them to make it to adulthood as safely as possible.

I would love nothing more than for my daughter to live as I did-free as a bird- and just ride her bike around all day and show up around dinner time. I just can't take that kind of leap of faith. I don't distrust her, I distrust the bad guys!

Maybe my time at Websleuths has made me more scared. I do know that I am much more aware of what's going on in the world than say, my younger sister; her young son walks all over her neighborhood and there's a sex offender there.:slap:

Maybe we should lobby/petition/march and get tazered, that they recieve the death penalty for the first murder of a child's innocence and violent abuse of his/her body. It would stop them from raping and moving on to murder more of our children. It really isn't such a far-fetched concept, and these preverts aren't good for anything anyway.

Absolutely!
No child should have to suffer at the hands of a sexual predator or physical abuser. :banghead: This poor little girl may never heal after enduring such an ordeal. :(:(:(:(:(
(I hope the bastage is arrested, convicted and tortured for the rest of his lousy life.)

As far as the child playing alone, today is a beautiful sunny, warm, afternoon in my town. While driving home after running errands, I saw at least 3 children playing in their front yards alone. I've lived in my neighborhood for over 20 years and raised both my girls here. I NEVER let them play outside alone....never, ever.
BUT I'm not going to blame this little girls mother for the child's rape and kidnapping. WHAT if their neighborhood was safe.....safe until today? The mother cannot bare the cross because of that.

God bless this child and may she had a speedy and whole recovery.

Hi KC-
I'm pretty sure it's because of damage done to her as a result of her sexual assault. Little girls aren't supposed to have things like that happen. Poor thing. :(

Ohhh thanks. that is horrible!!

BUT I'm not going to blame this little girls mother for the child's rape and kidnapping. WHAT if their neighborhood was safe.....safe until today? The mother cannot bare the cross because of that.

Hi Philamena-

I wasn't blaming the Mom earlier- I am sure she felt her daughter was safe in her own yard. :( I was commenting on the fact that the neighbor-even after this- said for the time being* her daughter couldn't play out front.

*paraphrasing

Hi Philamena-

I wasn't blaming the Mom earlier- I am sure she felt her daughter was safe in her own yard. :( I was commenting on the fact that the neighbor-even after this- said for the time being* her daughter couldn't play out front.

*paraphrasing
it is sad but it is a fact. nowhere is safe. even if no pervert lives near you i am 100% sure 1 lives with in driving distance. when i was a child i could play on my dead end dirt road and go to bed every night feeling safe in my sleep from perverts. John Couey is proof that is not true today. mark klaas lived in a nice area. the sicko owned a car and that is all it took. Samantha Runnion was thought to be safe in her own yard. i can not blame these parents for thinking their child was safe. i blame all of us. all three of these sick killers should have been off the streets. until we as a nation stand up and scream enough these guys will keep going. we can not always protect kids from the perves we dont know about but we should atleast be able to protect them from repeat offenders.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita
Back