He Paid Support, but there's no child!!

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Man Paid Support for Non-Existent Child

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Gov. Bill Richardson's (search) office is calling for an investigation into how a man was forced to pay child support for a child that didn't exist.

Steve Barreras was hauled into court, peppered with threats and paid out $20,000 in child support. Then his ex-wife was ordered to produce the child in court.

So last week Viola Trevino picked up a 2-year-old girl and her grandmother off the street and promised them a trip to see Santa Claus.

Instead, she allegedly took the girl into court and said she was her daughter.

The elaborate ruse stretched over five years and involved fake DNA evidence, a forged Social Security number and birth and baptismal certificates.

State District Judge Linda Vanzi ruled the child did not exist.

— Thanks to Out There reader Greg M.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,142005,00.html

OMG. I hope the judge forces her through garnishee wages or whatever to pay this back. What a cruel thing to do.

IF she works, she prolly makes about $5.60/hour. Will take a long time to pay back that $20,000.

The child support system in New Mexico sucks. I dont know how they run it, but I do know it has so many errors, this is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. We have a friend that moved here from Maryland. They were paying child support there. The child actually lived in oregon. Once this family moved here, the mother then filed with the state of NM to collect child support, and also with the state of oregon. The father was still paying child support thru the state of Maryland, yet BOTH Oregon and New Mexico pursued child support. It did eventualy get resolved, but not before the father was arrested for failure to pay etc.

IF she works, she prolly makes about $5.60/hour. Will take a long time to pay back that $20,000.

The child support system in New Mexico sucks. I dont know how they run it, but I do know it has so many errors, this is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. We have a friend that moved here from Maryland. They were paying child support there. The child actually lived in oregon. Once this family moved here, the mother then filed with the state of NM to collect child support, and also with the state of oregon. The father was still paying child support thru the state of Maryland, yet BOTH Oregon and New Mexico pursued child support. It did eventualy get resolved, but not before the father was arrested for failure to pay etc.

Child support system sucks in Wisconsin too. I feel very badly for the kids here. Deadbeats are rarely ever found & if they are found the judges let them off with a hand slap. We have no welfare programs.

I write to ALL representatives in Wis & complain that nothing is being done to help these kids. My daughter is owed 40 grand, he hasn't seen the kids in 4 yrs.

I also understand many parents DO pay support are penalized & thats unfair too.

I read this story a while ago. That woman should also be facing criminal charges, and her daughter for helping her commit the fraud. She should have 6 months to pay this man half the debt, then a couple years to pay him the other half. The stupid biatch will purposely remain underemployed just to avoid paying him. A judge should force her to pony up the part of the dough now by whatever means necessary.

The whole CS program needs to be revamped. So many parents, both CP and NCP get screwed. The laws should reflect so that BOTH parents have to support the child, not just the CP. Some states do not input an income for a non working CP therefore forcing the NCP to pay support and most of medical. There are many parents that owe over 10,000 in back support. If you go into arrears of more than 5k, you should go to jail.

So many custody battles revolve around child support. It's stupid. Both parents created the child, both should support it.

Hey, at least you CAN get child support in your states! Here, if a parent owes child support and moves out of state -- they won't even pursue it to collect. This happened to my cousin. Her ex moved to Tennessee (only 45 miles away and just across the border) so he wouldn't have to pay -- and the State told her they couldn't do anything about it until he moved back into the state. :furious: As of now, he's nearly $5,400 in arears on it and they won't do a thing about it.

Woman indicted in alleged scheme to get child support

The Bernalillo County grand jury last week indicted Viola Trevino, 54, on 24 counts, including kidnapping, perjury, conspiracy to commit fraud and conspiracy to commit forgery.

SHE WAS 54 and claiming she had a little child like this? DUH people... did they really think she had a baby that late in her forties? Gawd child support judges and authorities can be so stupid - they can't see the forest for all the trees!!!

SHE WAS 54 and claiming she had a little child like this? DUH people... did they really think she had a baby that late in her forties? Gawd child support judges and authorities can be so stupid - they can't see the forest for all the trees!!!

My sister was 41 when she had her FIRST child.... she was single too!

My sister was 41 when she had her FIRST child.... she was single too!
One of my coworkers had a sister who was married for many, many years, and was never able to get pregnant. She starting having a lot of stomach discomfort, and I guess with her medical history they thought that she had a tumor of some sort and planned on doing surgury and a hysterectomy - she went in and she was LATE TERM PREGNANCY. She was like 48. It was a huge deal - he was a miracle baby. The chances of concieving that late without donor egg and IVF is practically NIL. Her baby is perfectly fine and healthy. I was shocked - we're always asking our coworker how the tumor is (her nephew).

Awww, thank God for small miracles! That's so great!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back