IN - Mom tries to outrun train, kills herself & 2 kids

opme

Reaction score
An Indiana mom attempted to outrun a freight train at an intersection but didn't see a train approaching from the other direction and crashed, killing two of her children, police said.
Authorities released a video showing Edie Bolanos attempting to outrun an eastbound train in her minivan by cutting through a parking lot and making a quick turn.
"It seemed that she [Edie Bolanos] was so intent on beating the eastbound train, she never even saw the westbound train that hit her," Hammond Police Sgt. Michael Jorden said.
Two of Bolanos' children, Crystal, 11, and Anahi, 8, were ejected from the van and pronounced dead at the scene. The other two children in the van were in stable condition.

More at links below.................................................................
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295945,00.html

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2007/09/06/news/top_news/doc7ed30d091d1f84b48625734e0008c30b.txt

She is in critical condition and her 2 surviving children are in stabe condition at a nearby hospital..

I just cant fathom how anything could heve been so important as to attempt to beat a train.. nothing in my mind is more important than my child. I cant imagine making even a split minute decision and justiify it as a good choice in my mind. What ever it was could have waited a few more minutes. My prayers are with the survivors and their family.I can only hope that time will heal both their physical and emotional wounds. I suspect this woman is going to be going thru hell when she realizes what she has lost when she made that poor decision. May the 2 children who were lost be found in arms of angels and know only happiness and peace.

That video sure gave me another take on what I originally thought. Somehow, I thought it was just a fluke accident. When I saw her deliberately racing the train...

sometimes people can be SO stupid.

I hate to say this but when anyone races a train they have imo a disregard for human life.

From the above article:
"It seemed that she (Edie Bolanos) was so intent on beating the eastbound train, she never even saw the westbound train that hit her,

This same exact thing happened to me. Thank God I lived to tell about it. When I was growing up we lived way out in the country and the ride to school was an hour one way. My regular bus driver did not feel like going out to drop me off in the sticks so she had her son drop me and this other little boy off in a mini van. The son was a teenager himself and had a friend of his along for the ride. When they got up to the train tracks they also tried to outrun the train but it hit us smack dab in the middle of the mini van. The little boy and myself were ejected from the mini van via the windows. I don't remember anything during the accident I just remember looking to my right and seeing the train like right there...next thing I remember I was laying in the middle of a field covered in blood with the paramedics, police, lookie-loo's all standing around me....very scary day!

That video sure gave me another take on what I originally thought. Somehow, I thought it was just a fluke accident. When I saw her deliberately racing the train...

sometimes people can be SO stupid.

This is so tragic... and preventable. I can't imagine where she was going in such a hurry that made her make such a stupid, careless, and fatal decision.

This is so tragic... and preventable. I can't imagine where she was going in such a hurry that made her make such a stupid, careless, and fatal decision.

I totally agree. What a stupid and senseless action that cost her children's lives while the other two are hanging on.

:(

I also wanted to add that could there be a possiblity that this was a suicide and she just wanted to bring her children along with her?

I also wanted to add that could there be a possiblity that this was a suicide and she just wanted to bring her children along with her?

Possibly I guess, but with a van full of 4 children, she would have to know there's a good possibility they wouldn't all die.
The video won't load for me.

It wouldnt load for me either so I just googled it and pulled it up off another website.

Possibly I guess, but with a van full of 4 children, she would have to know there's a good possibility they wouldn't all die.
The video won't load for me.

I hope the other two children survive ok, but wow ... it must be hard living knowing two of your siblings died.

I wonder what the mother was thinking.
Was she normally a good mom?
Was she on drugs or drinking?

How in the heck can anybody say that she didn't see the other train coming, it was right there for God Sake! She doesn't derserve compassion. I hope she rots for what she's done. I saw somewhere that her parents already hired an attorney against the railroad:loser:

How in the heck can anybody say that she didn't see the other train coming, it was right there for God Sake! She doesn't derserve compassion. I hope she rots for what she's done. I saw somewhere that her parents already hired an attorney against the railroad:loser:

They'll probably blame the railroad for not having gates.

I don't understand how anyone would attempt to race a train with any other people in their car, 4 children nonetheless. Blatant disregard for human life. My prayers for the children and the family. It sounds like a suicide attempt, is right. That woman never should have put any of those children in danger. If she wanted to race trains, she should have been alone in the car.

How sad. I sometimes wonder why all these people keep on doing these things.

This same exact thing happened to me. Thank God I lived to tell about it. When I was growing up we lived way out in the country and the ride to school was an hour one way. My regular bus driver did not feel like going out to drop me off in the sticks so she had her son drop me and this other little boy off in a mini van. The son was a teenager himself and had a friend of his along for the ride. When they got up to the train tracks they also tried to outrun the train but it hit us smack dab in the middle of the mini van. The little boy and myself were ejected from the mini van via the windows. I don't remember anything during the accident I just remember looking to my right and seeing the train like right there...next thing I remember I was laying in the middle of a field covered in blood with the paramedics, police, lookie-loo's all standing around me....very scary day!

I was once asked if I was definitely going to die being hit by a train, would I want to face the train and see it right before it hit, or would I want to die without ever seeing what was coming. My answer was I'd like to see it coming a split second before it hit - because the rush of fear would be so intense I wouldn't want to miss it. When you described seeing it right there, you didn't mention any rush, or any memory of it. So, maybe I've changed my mind! I'm glad you're alright! You don't hear of many train crash survivors.

I think the very second I looked and saw the 'face' of the train is when it hit us. You know what I mean? Like there was no time to think of anything because it was that fast. I could of died right then and there and I still thank God that he didnt make that my day to go... I have a picture here somewhere out of the newspaper of the minivan after the accident. It looks like a squished up soda can.

I was once asked if I was definitely going to die being hit by a train, would I want to face the train and see it right before it hit, or would I want to die without ever seeing what was coming. My answer was I'd like to see it coming a split second before it hit - because the rush of fear would be so intense I wouldn't want to miss it. When you described seeing it right there, you didn't mention any rush, or any memory of it. So, maybe I've changed my mind! I'm glad you're alright! You don't hear of many train crash survivors.

Wow Mygirlsadie,so glad you were ok!!Did the bus driver along with her son get charged with anything??

My bestfriend of 23 years,mother was killed by a train when she was like 3 or 4 :( I always turn my radio off,slow or stop look and listen when I am going over tracks.

I don't think this was a suicide attempt.I think she was one of those people who are always in a hurry.Example driving down the highway going 5 miles over the speed limit and then some dumb@$$ flies right up on your bumper then zooms around you like a bat out he!! and continues to weave in and out of traffic *sigh*

Wish people would slow down some and not be in such a hurry.Our roads would be a lot safer.

Thanks ceeaura yea they were charged with something but I can't remember exactly what. I remember I had to go to court and testify and I know the other little boy who was a neighbor of mine that was in the van with me at the time was hurt very bad. His parents did sue the bus driver & the school district. My family was just so scared and at the same time greatful that I lived that we didnt even think for a second of sueing anyone. I am so sorry about your best friends mom thats horrible for a little girl to have to lose her mommy at such a young age and under those circumstances too.

Wow Mygirlsadie,so glad you were ok!!Did the bus driver along with her son get charged with anything??

My bestfriend of 23 years,mother was killed by a train when she was like 3 or 4 :( I always turn my radio off,slow or stop look and listen when I am going over tracks.

I don't think this was a suicide attempt.I think she was one of those people who are always in a hurry.Example driving down the highway going 5 miles over the speed limit and then some dumb@$$ flies right up on your bumper then zooms around you like a bat out he!! and continues to weave in and out of traffic *sigh*

Wish people would slow down some and not be in such a hurry.Our roads would be a lot safer.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back