TX - 10 dead, 12 injured in Goliad County crash: 22 people in a Ford F-250 pickup

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
The accident site is about 100 miles SE of San Antonio, 30 miles east of Beeville.

10 dead, 12 injured in Goliad County crash (San Antonio Express-News)
Ten people were reportedly killed and a dozen others were injured in a single-vehicle crash near Berclair in Goliad County Sunday evening.
---
Around 7 p.m., the driver of a Ford F-250 pickup veered off of U.S. 59 and crashed into several trees in unincorporated Goliad County.
---
The victims' identities were not immediately known, nor were any further details on the incident.
---

I'm trying to figure out how that many people fit into one truck. Praying for those who lost loved ones and to the injured.

Oh no! Prayers going up for everyone involved.

Cherie, I remember years ago there was a pickup truck loaded in front & back with high school kids, something happened, I think the vehicle flipped, & about 10 were killed in the crash..... Fun became tragedy in a split second. I read about it in a ladies magazine... Redbook or something.

How in the world were there that many people in one pick-up truck?!?

That of course was my first thought, hope the families of those who passed are able to find some sort of peace.

I remeber reading about a guy who got a very long prison term for something similar in Texas near the border. He was smuggling in Mexicans, he had like 20 in a Chevy Suburban, rolled it and killed several. Berclair seems to be approx. 150 miles from the US-Mexican border, though. I would assume someone smuggling people would drop them off just over the border, though?

I remeber reading about a guy who got a very long prison term for something similar in Texas near the border. He was smuggling in Mexicans, he had like 20 in a Chevy Suburban, rolled it and killed several. Berclair seems to be approx. 150 miles from the US-Mexican border, though. I would assume someone smuggling people would drop them off just over the border, though?
Yeah, agreed, a ways from the border, plus driving that many undocumented people in broad daylight isn't the done thing.

Six people could sit in the cab, all wearing seat belts. That would leave 16 in the bed. We've had, I think about a dozen in the back before. Not comfortably, but it was also just traveling less then a mile to get from one farm to another.

Yeah, agreed, a ways from the border, plus driving that many undocumented people in broad daylight isn't the done thing.

Good point, I hadn't thought about the time of day. Maybe just a work crew going to or from a jobsite?

Good point, I hadn't thought about the time of day. Maybe just a work crew going to or from a jobsite?
Perhaps. But, it being a Sunday evening, I'm thinking it was a family or families going home after a day at a lake or something.

I was thinking that too. Even driving slow, which I hope they were with that many people in the bed, if they veered off the road, people in the back would be thrown. I wonder what caused the driver to veer?

Perhaps. But, it being a Sunday evening, I'm thinking it was a family or families going home after a day at a lake or something.

Do you know if this area is near a lake? Tia. I'm going to check a map.

Do you know if this area is near a lake? Tia. I'm going to check a map.
Thinking....thinking....I've been to Beeville several times but can't remember. D'oh! Haven't been east of there though.

How horrible!!! Jeeze, I just can't imagine veering around anything with that many people in a pick up, not that I would ever think to drive one that loaded with people. Just so senseless.

Were they all in the truck? or were some on the road?
Horrible.

Were they all in the truck? or were some on the road?
Horrible.
Good point. I'd thought they were all in the pickup, but....
----
A man who claimed to have been the truck's driver was ejected but is alive, Bryant said, and six others inside the cab of the truck were pronounced dead at the scene. Another five victims outside of the pickup also died at the scene, he said.
---
So I'm not sure if they were thrown from the truck bed, or what. Doesn't make sense that five people were strolling around U.S. 59 at around 7 p.m. and a truck came along and hit them, though. So I imagine all were in the truck.

Express-News has updated the story; death toll now at 11, and possibly 12:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...12-injured-in-Goliad-County-crash-3726682.php

I was hoping it would turn out to be a work crew, as that would likely preclude women and children. The driver, if he survives, has some explaining to do, as do the parents of any children in the truck.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back