Walgreens giving free care to jobless and uninsured

Dark Knight

Reaction score
NEW YORK – Drugstore operator Walgreens will offer free clinic visits to the unemployed and uninsured for the rest of the year, providing tests and routine treatment for minor ailments through its walk-in clinics — though patients will still pay for precriptions.

Walgreens said patients who lose their job and health insurance after March 31 will be able to get free treatment at its in-store Take Care clinics for respiratory problems, allergies, infections and skin conditions, among other ailments. Typically those treatments cost $59 or more for patients with no insurance.

Hal Rosenbluth, chairman of the Take Care Health Systems division, described the plan as something close to an experiment: He said Walgreens isn't sure of patient demand or how much providing the services might cost the company.

It's likely to generate more attention for the clinics, however. Rosenbluth said a typical Take Care patient tells eight other people about his or her experience. So far, about 30 percent of Take Care patients were new customers to Walgreens.

The program is expected to last through the end of 2009. Walgreens runs 341 Take Care clinics in 35 markets around the country, including Chicago, Atlanta, Miami and Cleveland.

Free services will be offered only from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Walgreens said it will not offer free checkups, vaccinations or other injections because it is focusing on providing services patients might otherwise get at an urgent-care center or even an emergency room.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090331/ap_on_bi_ge/walgreen_clinics

I didn't even know they had these linics in some walgreens stores, and i love walgreens.
It's a shame that they are obviously doing it to get publicity, but I guess if it helps those who need help then so be it.

There's a clinic with nurse practitioner at the pharmacy in my local grocery store. I wish Walgreen's here had a free clinic for the uninsured, but they'd probably never do it in Texas.

NEW YORK – Drugstore operator Walgreens will offer free clinic visits to the unemployed and uninsured for the rest of the year, providing tests and routine treatment for minor ailments through its walk-in clinics — though patients will still pay for precriptions.

Walgreens said patients who lose their job and health insurance after March 31 will be able to get free treatment at its in-store Take Care clinics for respiratory problems, allergies, infections and skin conditions, among other ailments. Typically those treatments cost $59 or more for patients with no insurance.

Hal Rosenbluth, chairman of the Take Care Health Systems division, described the plan as something close to an experiment: He said Walgreens isn't sure of patient demand or how much providing the services might cost the company.

It's likely to generate more attention for the clinics, however. Rosenbluth said a typical Take Care patient tells eight other people about his or her experience. So far, about 30 percent of Take Care patients were new customers to Walgreens.

The program is expected to last through the end of 2009. Walgreens runs 341 Take Care clinics in 35 markets around the country, including Chicago, Atlanta, Miami and Cleveland.

Free services will be offered only from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Walgreens said it will not offer free checkups, vaccinations or other injections because it is focusing on providing services patients might otherwise get at an urgent-care center or even an emergency room.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090331/ap_on_bi_ge/walgreen_clinics

I heard this today and I think it is great. I don't have health insurance right now but I can pay my own way. (for now) In fact I went to the doc today. I am glad Walgreens will be doing this as it might ease the crowds at the ER. When I worked at the shelter, all the ladies used the ER as their primary care provider, kids with colds, sore throat, headache. And they have medicaid, they can see an actual doctor, but they go to the ER. Maybe now they will go to Walgreens.

Thank you for the article DK. I had been watching some interesting movement by Walgreens out in WA. They had threatened to stop filling prescriptions at 44 of their outlets for medicaid patients, because the state reimbursement was too low.

Then this morning I saw that a judge out in WA, has put a restraining order on the new state reimbursement plan that was to take effect in May 2009.

It deeply concerned me on many levels but one is that after reading about it for a while, many of the medicaid recipients out in WA must travel already 40 or 50 miles to get their scripts filled.

I'm not sure what to make of all this, one day they announce they are cutting the access to medicaid recipients for getting their prescriptions filled because of not getting reimbursed enough, and then later that week we see them announce they are giving free health care to the unemployed in another state.

What do you think is going on?

Judge blocks states drug plan: 31 Mar 2009
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/42228157.html

Walgreens to stop filling Medicaid prescription at nearly half: 30 Mar 2009
http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/retail/walgreens-stop-filling-medicaid-prescriptions-nearly-half-pharmacies-state/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back