Tainted dog food sickens 14 people in US

Reader

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/tainted-dog-food-sickens-14-people-us-160838865.html

........."Humans can become ill by handling pet products contaminated with salmonella, and by coming in contact with pets or with surfaces that have been contaminated," Ohio's health department said in a statement........

"Because infants and children are especially susceptible to foodborne illness, keep them away from areas where pets are fed," the health department said. "Never allow them to touch or eat pet food."

.......by the tainted dog food made by Diamond Pet Foods, which has been recalled from the market.

More at link....

My first reaction was of course, "Why the hell were these people eating dog food???" LOL.. But now I get it :)

Mine too. Reminded me of the old German professor who taught at the university I attended; he'd periodically ride his bicycle to the farm & home store which kept bulk dog food in large open metal bins, and snack on a handful of kibbles as he strolled down the aisles.

I am so grateful for the info because that is what my dog eats. I went to the diamond dog food site and sure enough, ours is one of the bags that is recalled. Our dog is a chocolate lab 2 yrs. old and she has been on diamond since she was weaned from the breeder. It is really a good dog food and she has thrived on it with a silky shiny coat due to the omega I am sure. She did throw up her food after eating one night and in the morning after eating but has been fine since. They told me to take the bag with the food to where I bought it and they will refund my money or give me another bag. I will just get another bag because it really is good food for my dog.

Mine too. Reminded me of the old German professor who taught at the university I attended; he'd periodically ride his bicycle to the farm & home store which kept bulk dog food in large open metal bins, and snack on a handful of kibbles as he strolled down the aisles.

I thought this was going to be about elderly hungry folks-- that whole urban legend... (I call it a legend, because now days, you can buy people tuna cheaper than Fancy Feast :what: )

I actually have a memory from when I was two or three, sitting in front of the HUGE bag of Purina Dog Chow, that my faithful companion had to eat, and tasting the crumbly brown stuff. I felt really bad for him, I mean, like crying bad. I lurved him sooo much. :heartluv:

My point is-- toddlers will eat this stuff! I guess it's time to treat the pet food like you would a poison, and put it in a childproof container. :mad:

I had the same "Why were they eating dog food?" thought.

Luckily, my dog doesn't eat anything on the list, at least not so far. They are saying that older dogs, puppies, and those that are immune compromised are more likely to be at risk of getting sick, and mine is ridiculously healthy and middle aged, but I feel for the people that have gotten sick and the dogs. It sucks when people are doing the right thing and taking care of their pets, and they still can't really keep them safe.

I was affected by "pet food from China" nitemare a few years ago...but not with any pet illnesses, thank goodness. At the time, I was using 3-4 different foods that were all affected (I like to use a variety). It was a major PITA to do all the research, keep looking for updated food lists, and to return them all (as I had stocked up recently).

Guess I'll have to give up my milk bones now. Dogit anyhow!

http://news.yahoo.com/tainted-dog-food-sickens-14-people-us-160838865.html

........."Humans can become ill by handling pet products contaminated with salmonella, and by coming in contact with pets or with surfaces that have been contaminated," Ohio's health department said in a statement........

"Because infants and children are especially susceptible to foodborne illness, keep them away from areas where pets are fed," the health department said. "Never allow them to touch or eat pet food."

.......by the tainted dog food made by Diamond Pet Foods, which has been recalled from the market.

More at link....
Noticed the article doesn't state what happened to the dogs who ate it.....

Only the people coming in contact with the food became ill?

:waitasec:

I have 2 fur-kitties and don't understand how folks could come in contact with dog food. Do people use their hands to scoop out the food? I always use a container for dry food, and use the lid to scoop out cat food.

Maybe it's cuz I don't want to smell like salmon for the rest of the day. And I sure as heck don't eat it.

And I agree - pet food shouldn't be left where infants/toddlers can reach it.

MOO

Mel

Noticed the article doesn't state what happened to the dogs who ate it.....

Only the people coming in contact with the food became ill?

:waitasec:

Here's another article that says no pets were sickened:

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/05/recalled-dog-food-sickens-handlers-with-salmonella-75648.html

At least five people were hospitalized because of the dog food, which was made by Diamond Pet Foods at its plant in Gaston, S.C., the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. No pets were sickened, according to the Meta, Mo.-based company.

------

And this one says more Diamond pet foods have been added:

Multiple Diamond Dog Foods Now Linked to Salmonella Outbreak in Humans

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-news/diamond-dog-food-salmonella-human/

It now appears multiple Diamond Dog Food products have been linked to Salmonella infections in the human population.

In a bulletin dated May 3, 2012, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has announced the agency is collaborating with public health officials in multiple states along with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to investigate an ongoing multistate outbreak of human Salmonella Infantis infections.

More at both links....

Here's another article that says no pets were sickened:

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/05/recalled-dog-food-sickens-handlers-with-salmonella-75648.html

------

And this one says more Diamond pet foods have been added:

Multiple Diamond Dog Foods Now Linked to Salmonella Outbreak in Humans

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-news/diamond-dog-food-salmonella-human/

More at both links....
Good to know the pets didn't become ill. It's interesting however that they didn't.......must be resistant to some things which cause humans to become sick?

Thankfully I only have cats and don't buy that brand of food!

Guess I'll have to give up my milk bones now. Dogit anyhow!

LOL! That makes me remember my cousin Joan. She'd always be wanting to come to our house because she liked to "share the milkbones" with the wawas.I wonder if she still snacks on them. :giggle:

I make 90% of my babies food. 5% kibbles & bits and 5% moist 'N meaty with cheese. They do love dehydrated duck tho. weird kids.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back