Who should be responsible for this crime?

I know that it is extremely hard to get children diagnosed with anything other than ADD and things like PTSD. Plus the way teenagers cover for each and won't tell things about their friends, I can understand how the Anthony's may not have discovered a whole lot of lying until Casey got older and had a child. By then, they couldn't force Casey to get treatment. I think the medical community should do something to diagnose kids earlier and start considering things like bipolar or personality disorders. The Anthony's probably could have demanded that Casey get help right after the birth though, when the lies and betrayals started. According to Pasley, 3 weeks before the disappearance Cindy told him Casey is a sociopath and they both discovered years of lies. I feel that they should have secretly begun meeting with a lawyer, done no arguing at all with Casey, put Caylee into daycare while they worked, and done everything possible to keep her in their care since Casey was running amok stealing from Cindy and the Grandpa and no telling what else. Everyone who even knows what a sociopath is knows that they can be dangerous.

Well Ned,

I have to agree with your thoughts and opinion in the fact that I do believe that Cindy is and always has been an enabler. I stated on another thread earlier that, in my opinion, we as parents have a greater obligation to our children and to society as a whole by teaching our children right from wrong, by holding them accountable for their actions from an early age.

I think sometimes the parents take the easy way out and just look the other way when their children are doing things that they know are not right. When my son stole a cheap pair of sun glasses, I took back to the store immediately, made him explain to the manager what he had done. we not only returned the $.99 glasses, but he also paid for them from his allowance. Sure I could have taken the easy way and looked the other way, after all they were only $.99, but the life lesson he learned was far too important for me to look the other way. To this day, he nor any of my other sons, have stolen anything. You can ask him about that to this day, and the first thing he does is blush from the embarrassement he felt.

I agree with another posters comment that they are tired of hearing its the parents fault, and I too am tired of that but in this situation, KC showed signs of mental instability for years now. People, on a whole, do not lie and fabricate make belief worlds for themselves to live in. They do not steal from family and friends and they most certainly do not murder thier child, accident or intentional, then go on partying for a month.

I wouldn't be able to breathe if something happened to one of my children, must less carry on the way KC has been, but the Cindy and KC both seem to be living in this fantasy world where KC isnt going back to jail and Caylee is still alive and breathing somewhere.

I am beginning to wonder if Cindy isnt mentally ill to some degree. I know that bipolar disorder is passable from generation to generation and, in my opinion, KC has showed signs of being bipolar.

Anyway, I agree with you Ned and I Thank You for your very imformative post. :clap:

I know that it is extremely hard to get children diagnosed with anything other than ADD and things like PTSD. Plus the way teenagers cover for each and won't tell things about their friends, I can understand how the Anthony's may not have discovered a whole lot of lying until Casey got older and had a child. By then, they couldn't force Casey to get treatment. I think the medical community should do something to diagnose kids earlier and start considering things like bipolar or personality disorders. The Anthony's probably could have demanded that Casey get help right after the birth though, when the lies and betrayals started. According to Pasley, 3 weeks before the disappearance Cindy told him Casey is a sociopath and they both discovered years of lies. I feel that they should have secretly begun meeting with a lawyer, done no arguing at all with Casey, put Caylee into daycare while they worked, and done everything possible to keep her in their care since Casey was running amok stealing from Cindy and the Grandpa and no telling what else. Everyone who even knows what a sociopath is knows that they can be dangerous.

Great post!

I think people are forgetting we don't know ANYTHING about Casey's early years. All we know is what she was like her last 3 years.

We also know she was an honor student in high school BUT didn't graduate with her class because she was a couple of credits shy.

I also think it's VERY possible Casey was a teenager who was perhaps more difficult than average & her parents couldn't wait for her to outgrow that stage & settle into adulthood.

By Cindy's reactions, it seems she only learned about the true scope of Casey's behaviors after Casey left home... most likely AFTER Caylee was already dead.

I have a feeling we'll be hearing a LOT about Casey's early years.... when the trial begins.

I too believe Casey has had personality/mental issues since early teens. I have had experience with a sister (now deceased due to cancer) who was diagnosed bipolar in her mid twenties and have seen first hand how there is no help out there when they are adults - something needs to change in our attitude towards mental health in this country. I don't have the answers, just something needs to change, many homeless people walking the streets today are mentally ill and won't take their meds. We think we can love them more, make their lives better and it will change - it won't. THEY NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! The Anthony's will have to live with the results however this plays out and I'm sure they are looking back wishing they had done things differently. I have a friend (a nurse) who would not let her son be labeled with any medical diagnosis on his record. She's a smart woman but when it came to her son was adamant - no label and now she is raising his 7 year son. He's around but not much in the childs life. I thank you for posting this thread. It's too late for that precious child, but maybe some others can be spared. Write your congressman and tell them to pass some legislation regarding putting some funding into mental health awareness programs! I believe Cindy has some issues with depression herself and had them way before this started.

I too believe Casey has had personality/mental issues since early teens. I have had experience with a sister (now deceased due to cancer) who was diagnosed bipolar in her mid twenties and have seen first hand how there is no help out there when they are adults - something needs to change in our attitude towards mental health in this country. I don't have the answers, just something needs to change, many homeless people walking the streets today are mentally ill and won't take their meds. We think we can love them more, make their lives better and it will change - it won't. THEY NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! The Anthony's will have to live with the results however this plays out and I'm sure they are looking back wishing they had done things differently. I have a friend (a nurse) who would not let her son be labeled with any medical diagnosis on his record. She's a smart woman but when it came to her son was adamant - no label and now she is raising his 7 year son. He's around but not much in the childs life. I thank you for posting this thread. It's too late for that precious child, but maybe some others can be spared. Write your congressman and tell them to pass some legislation regarding putting some funding into mental health awareness programs! I believe Cindy has some issues with depression herself and had them way before this started.

I've held my tongue as long as I can. In regards to the bolded statement above, that is NOT true. There is plenty of help out there for bipolar disease, and yes, it IS a disease, a chemical imbalance in the brain.

It is hard to find a doctor who understands this disease, but once you do there are medications, specifically for the symptoms that present, that will turn you into a normal human being. I know this for a FACT, been there, done that, spent 42 years of my life in hell because I didn't know I was bipolar - I just thought I was crazy.

That out of the way, yes, we need to change our societal views of mental illness. I also need to say I feel Casey is also a victim in this whole horror story. Maybe the gps should have gotten help before they had children, in my humble opinion, of course.

Casey is a liar, but there is no evidence that she is bipolar. I've known two bipolar people well in my life, they didn't act like this! Casey is just an evil sociopath like Scott Peterson and Susan Smith. She alone committed the crime, but her parents-at least her mother helped her cover it up and tampered with evidence and should be charged as accessories to the crime!
Casey got rid of Caylee because she was an inconvienience to her party lifestyle- she never loved her ( those were photo ops), and to get back at her mother. If it was an accident, you call 911, you admit it, then you probably won't get manslaughter. She has no concern for Caylee, it's all about Casey!:mad::behindbar:behindbar:behindbar Prison is where she belongs!

I'm so impressed with your thoughts on this issue.
I held out for so long that Caylee was alive, but always in the back of my mind, I thought there was some serious mental illness.
I've actually wondered a few times if perhaps Casey was schizophrenic and Zenaida the nanny was one of her personalities.
Your post really gives one a lot to think about.
Somewhere I have read that schizophrenia often shows up in the early 20's - does someone with a background on here in mental health have any knowledge of this? It's just so hard to imagine after seeing some of the pics of Casey with Caylee that that same person could harm her intentionally or accidentally and then hide the body -- but then when you have a sane mind trying to make sense out someone who obviously doesn't think normally it is just impossible.:confused:

Somewhere I have read that schizophrenia often shows up in the early 20's - does someone with a background on here in mental health have any knowledge of this? It's just so hard to imagine after seeing some of the pics of Casey with Caylee that that same person could harm her intentionally or accidentally and then hide the body -- but then when you have a sane mind trying to make sense out someone who obviously doesn't think normally it is just impossible.:confused:
I've done some work with schizophrenics. Their logic usually makes no sense and involves some paranoia. For example, they've arranged all the billboards out to get messages to me!

I've held my tongue as long as I can. In regards to the bolded statement above, that is NOT true. There is plenty of help out there for bipolar disease, and yes, it IS a disease, a chemical imbalance in the brain.

It is hard to find a doctor who understands this disease, but once you do there are medications, specifically for the symptoms that present, that will turn you into a normal human being. I know this for a FACT, been there, done that, spent 42 years of my life in hell because I didn't know I was bipolar - I just thought I was crazy.

That out of the way, yes, we need to change our societal views of mental illness. I also need to say I feel Casey is also a victim in this whole horror story. Maybe the gps should have gotten help before they had children, in my humble opinion, of course.
I agree there is a lot of help out there and medications, but for some reason many people (my sister and rest of family) felt it was a shameful thing to have mental illness in the family - that's what I meant and there have been influential people come forward and address the fact that they have some mental illness and it has helped, but there are still many people who don't understand that it is not something that can be swept under the rug or fixed by loving more, buying more, helping more - someone with a mental disease must have professional help - that is all I was saying. I hope you are getting along well now and you are not crazy it is a disease the same thing as if had diabetes and it is treatable. I think the Anthony's may be the kind of folks who view it as a bad reflection on them although with Cindy being a nurse I would think she should understand, but then again, I think Cindy has problems as well and may be in denial about it.

My sympathies to you in regards to your sister. And I totally agree with your post.

How likely is it that Cindy would tell Casey she needs psychiatric help & maybe meds & Cindy said, "Hey mom, that's a great idea. I'd love to talk with a therapist and get a handle on my feelings." :rolleyes:

Even if Casey went to a therapist 7 days a week, I doubt it would have had ANY positive effect on her. Not unless he knew the difference between her lies & the truth.... I just can't see her cooperating with therapy.

And up until she lost Caylee.... what did she do that would have been grounds to admit her to a psych hospital? Nothing, probably.

I don't know that Casey is mentally ill... that has yet to be established. But parents can seek help for an adult child in my state. I did it for my son. There are MHMR centers that will offer free counseling, assistance with medication, and even put them up in group homes if that is necessary. My son had an undetermined personality disorder and was depressed and suicidal. He got the help he needed and still takes meds for depression.. thank God he is no longer considering suicide.
I'm not sure whether Casey acted alone or had help with hiding the body... but if so, I don't think it was either of her parents.
I don't believe George or Cindy will be charged with obstruction of justice. I think that LE will be perfectly satisfied to prosecute Casey and leave it at that. JMO.

I agree there is a lot of help out there and medications, but for some reason many people (my sister and rest of family) felt it was a shameful thing to have mental illness in the family - that's what I meant and there have been influential people come forward and address the fact that they have some mental illness and it has helped, but there are still many people who don't understand that it is not something that can be swept under the rug or fixed by loving more, buying more, helping more - someone with a mental disease must have professional help - that is all I was saying. I hope you are getting along well now and you are not crazy it is a disease the same thing as if had diabetes and it is treatable. I think the Anthony's may be the kind of folks who view it as a bad reflection on them although with Cindy being a nurse I would think she should understand, but then again, I think Cindy has problems as well and may be in denial about it.

Very nice post, and thank you, I'm fine now. I'm sorry to hear about your sister, I can imagine the pain. I have a daughter with incurable cancer, 28, and it is hell.

I didn't realize, until this child went missing and we learned a lot of horrible things, just how much illness and pathology is out there. This case has made me rethink my entire life.

And, yes, I believe Cindy and possibly George, should be found guilty of something; I'll leave it to LE, DA, whomever, to decide what. Just my opinion of course.

Very nice post, and thank you, I'm fine now. I'm sorry to hear about your sister, I can imagine the pain. I have a daughter with incurable cancer, 28, and it is hell.

I didn't realize, until this child went missing and we learned a lot of horrible things, just how much illness and pathology is out there. This case has made me rethink my entire life.

And, yes, I believe Cindy and possibly George, should be found guilty of something; I'll leave it to LE, DA, whomever, to decide what. Just my opinion of course.
Thank you, it was hard but was 10 yrs ago, I see her only son who is now 20 and watch him closely for any signs of mental illness - none so far, he's a great kid. Sorry about your daughter, but don't ever give up hope - just love her and pray like crazy.

Casey solely.
I believe her family just is in complete denial because of the fact they Love Casey .

I don't know that Casey is mentally ill... that has yet to be established. But parents can seek help for an adult child in my state. I did it for my son. There are MHMR centers that will offer free counseling, assistance with medication, and even put them up in group homes if that is necessary. My son had an undetermined personality disorder and was depressed and suicidal. He got the help he needed and still takes meds for depression.. thank God he is no longer considering suicide.
I'm not sure whether Casey acted alone or had help with hiding the body... but if so, I don't think it was either of her parents.
I don't believe George or Cindy will be charged with obstruction of justice. I think that LE will be perfectly satisfied to prosecute Casey and leave it at that. JMO.

TxLady, I'm happy to hear your son is doing well now. :)

I think when there's a risk of suicide involved it's easy to force a person into help.... I doubt Casey was a suicide risk though.

If you're not a risk to yourself OR others... I don't think anybody can force you into treatment. Even if her parents tried to get her treatment, if she didn't cooperate with the treatment, it would have been a waste of time.

The parents may be guilty of obstruction of justice.

As for the murder, Casey alone is responsible unless it can be proved that someone helped her murder or dispose of the body.

As for mental illness....Casey is not technically psychotic. Trees are not telling her she is Jesus. We don't know that Casey never saw a therapist. Maybe her parents did try to get her help.

My step-son is likely bipolar. When he was 13, he was playing with fire, wrapped an electrical cord around his sister's neck, and threatened to murder and dismember his mother so many times she feared she would be killed in her sleep.

My husband and I and his mother could not afford the inpatient treatment he would need, so we gave up custody to the state....essentially turned him over to CPS.

The state left him in his mother's home. He did get more psych visits than any of our insurance provided. By the time there was an opening in a boy's home, he was properly medicated and is now generally a happy kid.

I guess my point is, we even gave up custody, and the state eval said he was still safe to live with the mother whose death he plotted and diagrammed!!!!

So we don't know what kind of care CAsey did or did not get. How many psych visits a year did their insurance allow? maybe a therapist worked with her and all she learned was how to say the right things to make people believe she's happy and emotionally healthy.

By the time things started to spiral down...stealing, partying, etc...she was way past the age of 18.

Her parents are guilty of bailing her out, but that alone doesn't make them an accessory to murder.

I don't believe she enabled her, to me that would be that she stood by and watched her child commit an unspeakable crime, and helped her cover her tracks.. I think this is a woman in pure denial that this child is gone.
One of the first stages of grief is denial.

I think she's also in denial that HER child, as well as her grandchild, is gone...and most likely has been for some time.

I'm sure the Anthonys have pictures of Casey growing up, at her birthdays and holidays....probably a cute little child just like Caylee. And she's gone. Just as good as dead. The cute little Casey at her third birthday party is now a cold-hearted sociopath.

The Anthonys must be devastated.

It seems a little premature to me to be pinning all of these mental illnesses on Casey.
As far as sociopaths, they do know the difference between right and wrong. They just choose to ignore it.

My heart still goes out to the Anthonys. They have been caught in a tragedy that most of us will never have to experience and I can't help but think, "There but for the grace of God go I".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMR0715
Back