Peru - Stephany Flores, 21, murdered in Lima hotel room, 30 May 2010 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they don't. And those are the ones I feel sorry for. They have to trade or fight for their stuff. I consider it a scam. A bar of soap is $5, I could buy 12 for that price. A pair of underwear is $5 but when they are transferred they can't take but the pair they have on with them. I consider that stealing. I paid for thsoe underwear, yet they keep them. When my brother was arrested, we didn't know anything about money on their books. Once we found out, we put money on his books. He had to sit two weeks in the same clothes without soap, toothbrush or toothpaste because we didn't get the money on the books in time. He was detoxing, sweating like a pig...imagine that smell.

I am very sorry that your brother has to go through that, and that you are caught up in the system because of your love and support for him. Indeed, the poor and those who have no one willing or able to go through the process required to help and keep helping must be desperate.

What a world. The wonder is that people come out of those terrible places with any humanity intact. Prisons are necessary to keep dangerous people away from the rest of us, but there is no reason to keep people dirty, to deny them clothes, or for that matter, to limit books and writing materials, which I understand some prisons do. We shouldn't be seeking to increase prisoners' rage and hopelessness, or further diminish their sense of connection to the world outside of prison. It 's not like these harsh rules and conditions prevent prison gangs from flourishing or help to provide a less dangerous environment.

My hope is that Joran will have a long time to sit in prison. I have no problem with him being clean, well-fed, and safe from bodily harm. I just don't want him to be walking around free with the rest of us, ever again. I doubt he will ever understand what he has done or the pain he has caused his victims' families, that lack of human insight being the very thing that allows him to kill and kill again. So he needs to be locked up away from the rest of us.

Hey Beatrice:

Thanks for re-posting my piece on the remarkable similarites between Joran and Ospina.

There are at least 2 more.

One of Ospina's "cases" ahd the FBI involved in Argentina. ANd both used articles of clothing for final strangling. Joran used his shirt, and Ospina used a computer cord on one victim and I believe a robe "belt" for another.

I have a brother in prison in W. Va. He gets an allotment of certain items, the rest we send money for. Also we pay for t.v.:s, radios and anything else they will let him have. But he does get soap, toilet paper and more in the allotment.

I'm assuming my brother gets toliet paper too. My brother has never mentioned having to buy that. The rest he pays for, or should I say me and my family pay for.

I'm assuming my brother gets toliet paper too. My brother has never mentioned having to buy that. The rest he pays for, or should I say me and my family pay for.

My brother also works, right now in the kitchen, for 50.00 a month. Not much but it helps and gives him something to do.

I am very sorry that your brother has to go through that, and that you are caught up in the system because of your love and support for him. Indeed, the poor and those who have no one willing or able to go through the process required to help and keep helping must be desperate.

What a world. The wonder is that people come out of those terrible places with any humanity intact. Prisons are necessary to keep dangerous people away from the rest of us, but there is no reason to keep people dirty, to deny them clothes, or for that matter, to limit books and writing materials, which I understand some prisons do. We shouldn't be seeking to increase prisoners' rage and hopelessness, or further diminish their sense of connection to the world outside of prison. It 's not like these harsh rules and conditions prevent prison gangs from flourishing or help to provide a less dangerous environment.

My hope is that Joran will have a long time to sit in prison. I have no problem with him being clean, well-fed, and safe from bodily harm. I just don't want him to be walking around free with the rest of us, ever again. I doubt he will ever understand what he has done or the pain he has caused his victims' families, that lack of human insight being the very thing that allows him to kill and kill again. So he needs to be locked up away from the rest of us.

I agree.

I will try not to mention coffee again but what would be the reason for holding that video back if they are? That was pretty sharp of them if they are 'cause there is bound to be a reason and a good one....surely the hotel people have seen these videos....but it sure has not been leaked....heck if I lived over there I would not leak anything either......I would not want anything to do with even the mention of a crime in that country...they don't play when they punish.

Probably just to crush his lying alibi(s) when he comes up with another one to try to explain his actions. Maybe their 'ace' in the hole.

242vt69.jpg
2q00hsk.jpg

IMO...Especially the eyes and eye makeup...Both wore their hair caually up.

Question: What was the name of Joran's first real girlfriend? Her parents did not want them dating as she was 12 or 13 and Joran was 16 or 17. They had a huge birthday party for her and all the p.i.m.p.s were there. She was a petite, blonde.....

Then & now photos:
http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10003642-15.html?tag=page

My brother also works, right now in the kitchen, for 50.00 a month. Not much but it helps and gives him something to do.

My brother did too, they didn't pay him, but he was able to get extra food. Now he is in solitary because he kept getting caught with a cell phone. A cell phone the guards brought in and sold him. Then they would catch him and take it away. The cell helped us because it cost so much money to talk to him. Anyway he gets out in a month, I hope he never goes back but he is a drug addict who has had access to drugs the whole time he was in prison except maybe in solitary, so I'm thinking he will go back.

bolded by me.

At least hopefully he'll be locked up forever, where he can't kill any more innocent people, but it bugs me that they seem to be coddling him--he gets to watch tv-- and how does he manage to get showers every day when everyone else gets them once a week?

From what I have read and am anticipating dealing with when a friend goes in, federal is even different from the various state prisons. Will relate more when I learn more.

Imagine 12 showers running only 1 time a week for 15 mins. for 600 persons.
It'd be days before many could wash.

It would take months, if the figure that was reported is correct. (Even assuming a 3-minute shower for each person, that's only 60 individual showers per week and 2 and a half months for each person to get his 3 minutes of water.)

I wonder if they meant that there are only 12 showers for 600 inmates and therefore each inmate can only take one 15 minute shower per week (rather than that the showers themselves only work once each week).

Either way, pretty filthy by modern standards.

O/T I would guess Casey qualifies for the indigent package. I am sure that if she is entitled she will take it and at Cindy and George's urging. Anything to further burden the taxpayers of FL.

If she has money on her books I wouldn't think she would qualify. JMO

bolded by me.

At least hopefully he'll be locked up forever, where he can't kill any more innocent people, but it bugs me that they seem to be coddling him--he gets to watch tv-- and how does he manage to get showers every day when everyone else gets them once a week?

If it is true, since the reporting is so messed up, I would think he gets better treatment b/c of the worldwide attention. Peru has had many issued about their jails and how foreigners in them are mistreated for the last few years. They don't want any flack about this highly publicized case. IMO.

https://www.bobbarker.com/web/default.asp?AppriseWebKey=033700828.02402759&AppriseCustCode=WEBGUEST

Here is a link to a company that sells items to inmates.
The items are basic no frills and very reasonably priced.
In the jail I work I've known inmates very happy to buy shoes from them.

Individual rolls of toilet paper are handed out to the inmates on a regular basis and no one is denied basic items suc as soap etc.
A disposable razor is handed out 1 time a week and then after an amount of time they have to be collected, this is due to safety reasons.

VB

From what I have read and am anticipating dealing with when a friend goes in, federal is even different from the various state prisons. Will relate more when I learn more.

I have heard that Federal prisons are better than state prisons but I don't know that for a fact.

https://www.bobbarker.com/web/default.asp?AppriseWebKey=033700828.02402759&AppriseCustCode=WEBGUEST

Here is a link to a company that sells items to inmates.
The items are basic no frills and very reasonably priced.
In the jail I work I've known inmates very happy to buy shoes from them.

Individual rolls of toilet paper are handed out to the inmates on a regular basis and no one is denied basic items suc as soap etc.
A disposable razor is handed out 1 time a week and then after an amount of time they have to be collected, this is due to safety reasons.

VB

I can tell you that my brother was denied soap, toothbrush, tootpaste and clean underwear for two weeks until he had money on his books. That was in a County jail in Alabama.

I have heard that Federal prisons are better than state prisons but I don't know that for a fact.

This is true in some regards. I am familiar with the Federal one in Ft. Worth TX. Showering is not an issue. I know they all wear clean, starched, khaki uniforms and look very nice. While it breaks your heart to see someone you know there it gives some peace to see them all cleaned up and caring about how they look.

In Ft. Worth they are in dorm type surroundings with 4 or 5 to each one. They also play organized sports and have jobs. Additional costs are for phone time and any extras they want or need. Not everyone in prison is a hardened criminal or sociopath and should not be treated as such. jmo

For those of you dealing with friends and family in prison, I feel for you. I am fortunate that I have never had to cope with something like that. It seems so very complicated just to try and figure out what they need and how to get it to them. Good on ya for being there for them in their time of need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo