LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty amazing what you know about car styles! Wish I was there to drive around and look for that car:)

I'm a Ford man, so I had to Google the car styles. Anyone can do it. I'm printing a bunch of THESE FLYERS right now and going to go out and tape them at stores and gas stations.

what would make me stop riding my bike if approached by a strange man. There are only 2 scenarios that I can imagine. The first one is the 'bumping her with his truck and pretending to be a good egg'. The other one is if he pulled up beside me and stopped, got out and called out "Miss, you dropped something back there." The moment Mickey reached out to retreive whatever faux object he was handing her would put her in a very vulnerable position.

Good points. I used to ride my bike for exercise through residential areas and down Johnston St. on the bike path. I had to ride at night, after my husband got home and my kids were in bed, and I was always on edge and watching my surroundings--but I've also got a healthy amount of fear of the unknown and am cautious by nature. For someone to get me to stop for them, they would have to clip me or ambush me (on foot, hiding somewhere in the shadows)....I was extremely aware of the cars and activities taking place around me, so I would have been aware if a car was going slow enough to follow me.

The other thing I'm thinking is that BW said Mickey rode against the grain of traffic in his early interviews. That would make it really hard for someone to hit her from behind on accident.

I'm a Ford man, so I had to Google the car styles. Anyone can do it. I'm printing a bunch of THESE FLYERS right now and going to go out and tape them at stores and gas stations.

Would it be ok with you if I printed some and put them up around my area too? I live fairly close to where MS lived and I can get some gas stations/stores/posts/etc. in the area too.

Never mind, saw above where that was mentioned...I may need glasses. :/

If the perp was thinking, he would have gotten off I-10 ASAP, to avoid cameras. There are many ways to Whiskey Bay that don't have cameras. You are correct.

What ways by car besides LA 975 from Krotz Springs? The other roads are private / gated off, and I still don't know how you get onto THOSE roads other than I-10 or LA 975. I never really ventured south of I-10 over there... can a car access that area without arriving first via I-10 or LA 975?

It is a great place to get rid of evidence. But this isn't a high crime area, things like this don't happen very often at all.

They have cameras on the exits, and once you're off the interstate there are streetlights and such--it's dimly lit, but not pitch black. Again, it's not like someone comes down here to hide evidence every other week, most homicides in our area come from car accidents, hit-and-run, etc. It's not an area inundated with murders and abductions, most crimes are thefts, drug charges, DUI, etc.

"With a crime rate of 67 per one thousand residents, Lafayette has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 15. Within Louisiana, more than 93% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Lafayette."
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/la/lafayette/crime/#description

Hmm..are you sure about that?

The other thing I'm thinking is that BW said Mickey rode against the grain of traffic in his early interviews. That would make it really hard for someone to hit her from behind on accident.

She isn't doing that on the surveillance videos.

Would it be ok with you if I printed some and put them up around my area too? I live fairly close to where MS lived and I can get some gas stations/stores/posts/etc. in the area too.

Never mind, saw above where that was mentioned...I may need glasses. :/

I'm going to cover the south side.... I live off the new Ambassador extension. If you could post some around Mickey's area, that would be great!

This Cadillac (IMO it is a Caddy) is important. The driver could have seen the truck pulled over talking to a girl on a bike, or even helping her load it in back,

Hey, hold off on printing them just yet. i just realized I want to add "Olds Delta 98" to the description. Give me a couple minutes!

"With a crime rate of 67 per one thousand residents, Lafayette has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 15. Within Louisiana, more than 93% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Lafayette."

We have a high property crime rate, but our violent crime is not nearly as high as other areas in our state. Especially in the part of town Mickey was in--it's mostly drugs, DUI or property crime, and petty crime at that (bikes, lawn mowers, etc.) Stabbings, shootings, pedestrian fatalities generally occur farther north in the city, with very little happening on this side of town. Abductions and murders are fairly rare, especially on this side of town. It's hard to understand the dynamics of Lafayette if you aren't a Lafayette resident.

http://www.lafayettesheriff.com/site307.php

If you look through arrest records, it's mostly drugs/property/driving offenses.

We know so little.

We don't even know where what happened happened. She could have gone on Azalea or St. Mary or Souvenir Gate or Extension Rd. Crazy. It's possible the police know very little more than we do. Imagine.

What they know more about is the bicycle. Wonder what conclusions they have already reached.

I am not sure why the admin of the FB page insists on not believing the media, or wanting anyone else to either. The media is not going to go on record with things that are blatantly untrue, and the family needs the media. Not sure who is the admin?

Hi, sorry for commenting on this so late, but I am just reading through the entire thread to catch up.

First off, let me say this. The media around here for the past week has been reporting a lot of false things, such as when the media said they had found her body, in three different locations, on three nights in a row. Among that, numerous news reports stating that she was captured on camera in other cities, and etc. Sure, the bike one was correct, but that does not automatically null every other false report.

Second of all, how would you feel if you were in the families shoes, and you were receiving information AFTER the news made it available to the public? You were the last to know anything, because of a leak and then media? It is a matter of respect. The family should be contacted first.

And the admin is the sister of Mickey. So I understand perfectly her frustration.

Hi, sorry for commenting on this so late, but I am just reading through the entire thread to catch up.

First off, let me say this. The media around here for the past week has been reporting a lot of false things, such as when the media said they had found her body, in three different locations, on three nights in a row. Among that, numerous news reports stating that she was captured on camera in other cities, and etc. Sure, the bike one was correct, but that does not automatically null every other false report.

Second of all, how would you feel if you were in the families shoes, and you were receiving information AFTER the news made it available to the public? You were the last to know anything, because of a leak and then media? It is a matter of respect. The family should be contacted first.

And the admin is the sister of Mickey. So I understand perfectly her frustration.

Wow. The media actually reported that her body was found??

Did actual mainstream media report that? I have only seen rumors like that swirling on facebook/twitter as opposed to real media. It is very strange that this post didn't BLOW UP if an MSM source reported that her body was found!

I was also wondering if the family's issue withe the media was that it was reported that the bike was hers before they had a chance to positively ID it or were they upset because they didn't know that a bike was found at all until the media reported it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member