LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is my personal opinion from my perspective and from my entirely different part of the country:

First, MS bike route via googlemaps around the Versailles/St. John area shows a city-like area. It is a semi-tired, seen-better-days area. Sorry folks, but it is. It doesn't get any better near the Circle K with a lot of small side streets with houses looking like 1930's shacks. Sorry, but it's true. There does not seem to be a lot of re-building, new buisnesses or money going into that area. You guys don't see that, really? If this is normal America then we have a problem. There is a feeling of slight despair in general in this area. Not safe, no jobs, gangs, and drugs.

Second, then the route goes into a much more rural area, wide open with a lot of barns, shacks, etc. It has to be very scary at night with so much open space.

Don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings who has an emotional, sentimental attachment to the Lafayette area but I'd get the heck out of dodge.

I agree as a newcomer. What I see is the phenomenon of building outwards and neglecting the downtown. Very bad. It is nice to see a few new buildings in the area, but it seems the focus is on growing larger and outwards rather than builing up what already exists. Very American to just abandon areas that already civilized. No offense. But it is a very present-oriented attitude with no sight to the future.

-----------
Great advice. Martial Arts guy said that women need to use the weapons they have with them, or can find around them.

Here's a good one: hand weights

my favorite is the "sap" - illegal now, but inherited from dad...fits in purse or pocket.... other than that, the 38 is good too, lol...

Actually, Lafayette was ranked #1 best city for job growth based on enoloyment Bureau of Labor Statistics (New Geography, 2012); Best MidSize City for Jobs, Most Increasing Household Income, Top Place to Live (Relocate America, 2011); Fastest Economic Growth, Best Performing Metro, and Most Optimistic City (Gallup, 2012). You were viewing the area right outside of downtown and hasn't been revitalized mainly because theres just businesses, an historical Cathedral, jail, etc.; and isn't a great reference for you to make such judgements. Your entitled to your opinion though. One thing I don't like about Lafayette is there LE! Seems like there's a problem year after year with those guys. Then now, the timing of their stupid allegations against the Administration is worthy of getting rid of those 10 troublemakers. I comment on them out of fear for my
Safety. Their timing was extremely poor when deciding to move forward with their suit - so poor I can have no empathy for them and am outraged that they have not even told the public - take all precautions until we find out who did that to Mickey, or don't loose sleep over this, etc. I wish Joey would
just clean house and get a whOle new department!

Look up Lafayette crime index 3 for a different perspective.

slowlybutshelly, Meredith's dog Ella was a rescue black lab & only a puppy. She now weighs 80 lbs. & resides in CO with MHE's parents. Although Meredith possessed great instincts, she held the belief that most of humanity are good & other folks with dogs, had only good intentions. Her abductor; GMH/SK, also had a dog; Dandy/irish setter.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/the-mystery-on-blood-mountain-part-1/6wevjqz

The Mystery on Blood Mountain, Part 1
Aug. 27: Hiker Meredith Emerson goes missing on Georgia's Blood Mountain on New Year's Day 2008. Law enforcement officers become concerned after finding a police baton with some her possessions on a trail. Dateline NBC's Dennis Murphy reports.

Meredith's case hits close to home for me. I have done that hike with my dog. I am very aware and untrusting of strangers...but probably would have said hello to someone else with a dog. Scary. But, we have to keep living our lives and can not let something like this stop us from enjoying life/the beauty of a hiking trail. We need to watch our backs, be aware of dangers, trust our instincts, and know in advance how we would react when a threat appears (never go to a second location, never). Then, enjoy life and don't let fear keep you from living to the fullest. I will continue to hike Blood Mtn with my dog...I may be more likley to bring a friend and their dog along...

my favorite is the "sap" - illegal now, but inherited from dad...fits in purse or pocket.... other than that, the 38 is good too, lol...

Telescopic batons are the new saps. Just as small, and extends to give you a much longer range and is solid steel. Thats one of my favorites to carry in my back pocket. I mean....if you can't get your hands on a gun of course.

bbm

Shelly I don't know that we can rely on other people to protect us, but we can certainly take measures and precautions to protect ourselves. The self defense class you took is a great example.

There is evil in this world, but we can't let fear paralyze us and keep us from living our lives. We can live purposefully and carefully, we can keep in touch with family members and friends, and we can use common sense when going about our day-to-day lives.
I am wondering how I have survived thus far without major mishap, especially considering I did not have a car in college and only ride my bike. I feel that my parents let me down by not 'showing the realities' of danger in my childhood.

No one wants to be the person in a loving family to initiate a child into the reality of danger; so how can I change my method as an adult with children? How/when do we let our children know they are in danger without worrying about whether they will live under our roof out of fear for their whole lives?

It seems like a lot of the martial arts have age regulations; but to me ..age seems so little to do with anything. If I let my child live by the rules of 'this is p.g; that after 18 etc; my child might never develop the skills necessary to protect one self at the age the danger presents itself (WHEN, not IF!).

That's what my wife carries as her CWP weapon. A 38 hammerless revolver.

No hammer to get caught on while in maybe a pocket or bag and its loaded and ready to go.

Just pull the trigger

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I think we should teach our kids and friends to call or text when you get home.
I have been our of college for 10+ years now and my dad still has me call him after I leave his house to let him know I made it home.

I don't have children but I am close to my goddaughter who is Mickey's age and in college. She said, that she might want to get a tracking device implanted if they have that technology, so I could find her....I told her no need to go that far, a tracking device could be scary for lots of reasons. My advice was not to live in fear but to be self aware.

:seeya: Heads up, sleuthers. New thread coming in a few minutes.

There is a keychain called Satety Cat Keychain. Amazon sells it for $5.
It's effect would be like carrying your keys between your fingers but better. It has long pointy ears that would be the weapon. It fits easily in your hand and is light weight.

That's what my wife carries as her CWP weapon. A 38 hammerless revolver.

No hammer to get caught on while in maybe a pocket or bag and its loaded and ready to go.

Just pull the trigger

Louisiana is very gun friendly. With open carrying legal here, I think more women should just walk around with guns on their hip. That'll deter lots of crime ;)

I am wondering how I have survived thus far without major mishap, especially considering I did not have a car in college and only ride my bike. I feel that my parents let me down by not 'showing the realities' of danger in my childhood.

No one wants to be the person in a loving family to initiate a child into the reality of danger; so how can I change my method as an adult with children? How/when do we let our children know they are in danger without worrying about whether they will live under our roof out of fear for their whole lives?

It seems like a lot of the martial arts have age regulations; but to me ..age seems so little to do with anything. If I let my child live by the rules of 'this is p.g; that after 18 etc; my child might never develop the skills necessary to protect one self at the age the danger presents itself (WHEN, not IF!).

re: how can I change my method as an adult with children? How/when do we let our children know they are in danger without worrying about whether they will live under our roof out of fear for their whole lives?

'slowlybutshelly; Clint Van Zandt, has your answer. Also Elizabeth Smart RadKids program has some great tips & will help folks set up their program in their community. She is an inspiration to us all. Radkids teaches children to defend themselves against abduction.
http://www.kutv.com/news/features/local/stories/vid_736.shtml

Setting the Stage

On 10.12.09—By Dr. Clint Van Zandt

We don’t want to scare children. We want to empower them to have the ability to protect themselves and each other.

It is very important to approach the subject of safety in a non-threatening way. We do not want to make children fearful of potentially dangerous situations or people in general. We do want to teach them to be cautious and to be able to recognize when something may be wrong.

The key is to help children feel empowered and to encourage them to develop and trust their intuition. We want to teach them to be able to talk to you, their caregiver, when something is bothering them. Open communication between parents and children is one of the most important aspects to protecting your child from predators.

Louisiana is very gun friendly. With open carrying legal here, I think more women should just walk around with guns on their hip. That'll deter lots of crime ;)

I agree. Only if everyone is open carrying.

But my thoughts on open carry differ

If I'm a robber and an open carry person is maybe in the bank or whatever establishment I'm robbing and I see that open carry gun. That's the first person I shoot.

So, I'd rather conceal carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members