Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Cold Cases > OK Foss Lake Discovery; 6 bodies; Sept. 18, 2013

Notices

OK Foss Lake Discovery; 6 bodies; Sept. 18, 2013 Training session w/new sonar equipment results in the recovery of 2 cars and 6 sets of skeletal remains.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Bobby88's Avatar
Bobby88 Bobby88 is offline
Whatever happened to Johnnie Herrera?
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 291
OK - Leah Johnson (18), Thomas Rios (18), & Jimmy Williams (16), Sayre, 20 Nov 1970

Unfortunately, there appears to be very little info online about these three missing teenagers. Jimmy's Doe Network page, however, does have slightly more info regarding the circumstances than the other two.

Leah: http://doenetwork.org/cases/2809dfok.html

Thomas: http://doenetwork.org/cases/4098dmok.html

Jimmy: http://doenetwork.org/cases/4097dmok.html
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bobby88 For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 PM
CanManEh's Avatar
CanManEh CanManEh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,358
If you know something about this case maybe you should write what you know like put down what happend and where it all happend did all 3 go missing at the same time where from like a party or what if you have a few details it may bring someone else that says oh ya i remember that now..worth a shot..brought me here i was intrigued wanted to read what happend ...
__________________
Everything I Write Is JMHO ..
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CanManEh For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
CanManEh's Avatar
CanManEh CanManEh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,358
Circumstances of Disappearance
Jimmy and his friends, Thomas Rios and Leah Johnson were last seen in Sayre, Oklahoma on the night of November 20, 1970.

Jimmy had a part time job at Hartman’s Seventh Street Grocery store. Owned and operated by Pete and Bess Hartman, the Seventh Street Grocery was a little neighborhood grocery store and meat market. Jimmy worked there after school and on Saturdays. At least a part of Jimmy's earnings went towards payment on a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro. With a little help from his Mom and Dad, Jimmy had just purchased the Camaro six days prior to his disappearance. The '69 Camaro was dark blue with a white vinyl top. It had a white stripe around the nose and 2 stripes extending up the hood on both sides of centerline.

One of Jimmy's hobbies was hunting. He had a 12 gauge shotgun and a .22 pistol, and had many hunting buddies. One of his hunting buddies, Doug, went to school at Elk City which was located about 15 miles East of Sayre (Jimmy was a junior at Sayre High School). Doug played on Elk City's football team, which on Friday night November 20, 1970 was involved in an Oklahoma class 2A high school playoff football game against Watonga.

On this night, Jim was going to get off work a little early. Even though it was payday, Jim elected to leave his check until the following day. Pete Hartman remembers Jim waving back as he walked to his car, he was smiling as he hollered back "see ya tomorrow". When Jimmy left the house that night, he told his mom he was going to the football game at Elk City. But, before he left for the evening, he backed his car up close to the back door and loaded up some shotguns into the trunk with the help of one of his younger brother's.

In actuality, after talking to some of Jimmy's friends, it became evident that Jimmy was not going to go the football game, but instead he was going to go hunting down Turkey Creek road with Thomas Rios and Leah Johnson. Jimmy had also invited one of his best friends, named Wayne, to go along, but Wayne declined because that many people in a small car made it too crowded.

Jim never came home that night, nor did Leah Gail Johnson, or Thomas Michael Rios. Jimmy's car has never been located.

In the days after the kids disappeared, a red (possibly orange) Corvette was found abandoned out on Turkey Creek road. The car had been burned, and the glass had been broken. This car was a stolen vehicle with California plates.

There are many theories about what happened to the trio that night. Some people believe the kids were kidnapped by drug smugglers who were using the Delhi airport as a drop point for illegal drugs.

That's what I found.
__________________
Everything I Write Is JMHO ..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Bobby88's Avatar
Bobby88 Bobby88 is offline
Whatever happened to Johnnie Herrera?
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanManEh View Post
Circumstances of Disappearance
Jimmy and his friends, Thomas Rios and Leah Johnson were last seen in Sayre, Oklahoma on the night of November 20, 1970.

Jimmy had a part time job at Hartman’s Seventh Street Grocery store. Owned and operated by Pete and Bess Hartman, the Seventh Street Grocery was a little neighborhood grocery store and meat market. Jimmy worked there after school and on Saturdays. At least a part of Jimmy's earnings went towards payment on a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro. With a little help from his Mom and Dad, Jimmy had just purchased the Camaro six days prior to his disappearance. The '69 Camaro was dark blue with a white vinyl top. It had a white stripe around the nose and 2 stripes extending up the hood on both sides of centerline.

One of Jimmy's hobbies was hunting. He had a 12 gauge shotgun and a .22 pistol, and had many hunting buddies. One of his hunting buddies, Doug, went to school at Elk City which was located about 15 miles East of Sayre (Jimmy was a junior at Sayre High School). Doug played on Elk City's football team, which on Friday night November 20, 1970 was involved in an Oklahoma class 2A high school playoff football game against Watonga.

On this night, Jim was going to get off work a little early. Even though it was payday, Jim elected to leave his check until the following day. Pete Hartman remembers Jim waving back as he walked to his car, he was smiling as he hollered back "see ya tomorrow". When Jimmy left the house that night, he told his mom he was going to the football game at Elk City. But, before he left for the evening, he backed his car up close to the back door and loaded up some shotguns into the trunk with the help of one of his younger brother's.

In actuality, after talking to some of Jimmy's friends, it became evident that Jimmy was not going to go the football game, but instead he was going to go hunting down Turkey Creek road with Thomas Rios and Leah Johnson. Jimmy had also invited one of his best friends, named Wayne, to go along, but Wayne declined because that many people in a small car made it too crowded.

Jim never came home that night, nor did Leah Gail Johnson, or Thomas Michael Rios. Jimmy's car has never been located.

In the days after the kids disappeared, a red (possibly orange) Corvette was found abandoned out on Turkey Creek road. The car had been burned, and the glass had been broken. This car was a stolen vehicle with California plates.

There are many theories about what happened to the trio that night. Some people believe the kids were kidnapped by drug smugglers who were using the Delhi airport as a drop point for illegal drugs.

That's what I found.
Thank you.

Yes, the drug smuggler scenario sounds plausible. Not unlike the Kevin Ives/Don Henry murder case in Arkansas in 1987. They were going out to hunt as well and are believed to have seen a drug drop and that the smuggler's killed them to ensure their silence.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bobby88 For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 04-10-2013, 02:01 PM
OkieGranny's Avatar
OkieGranny OkieGranny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: OKC Metro
Posts: 1,533
This is only my second post on WS so I'm not sure what mentions of other websites are and are not allowed, but I recently found the disappearance of these three teenagers being hashed out on a discussion forum that begins with a T and ends with an X. I might add that I had to wear hip waders; it got pretty deep over there.

The most plausible theory I saw was that I-40 was still under construction in the Sayre area at that time; the Red River passes nearby and the pilings dug for the bridge would have contained some water until the concrete was poured. If the teens drove out that way and the car accidentally went nose-first into a water-filled piling, it would explain how the kids and the car vanished so completely.
Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to OkieGranny For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Satch Satch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieGranny View Post
This is only my second post on WS so I'm not sure what mentions of other websites are and are not allowed, but I recently found the disappearance of these three teenagers being hashed out on a discussion forum that begins with a T and ends with an X. I might add that I had to wear hip waders; it got pretty deep over there.

The most plausible theory I saw was that I-40 was still under construction in the Sayre area at that time; the Red River passes nearby and the pilings dug for the bridge would have contained some water until the concrete was poured. If the teens drove out that way and the car accidentally went nose-first into a water-filled piling, it would explain how the kids and the car vanished so completely.
Was the Red River, or any rivers in the area searched for evidence? I don't think the trio just took off on their own.

Satch
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Satch For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 PM
annoulzz annoulzz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ/NYC
Posts: 80
were the families of the 2 other boys with him ever interviewed to get their side of the story? Someone must have seen something but isn't not saying anything.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to annoulzz For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM
OkieGranny's Avatar
OkieGranny OkieGranny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: OKC Metro
Posts: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch View Post
Was the Red River, or any rivers in the area searched for evidence? I don't think the trio just took off on their own.

Satch
Well, if the piling theory is correct, the three teenagers and the car are encased in concrete. Part of the bridge forevermore, or at least as long as it's still standing.

I'm from the opposite end of the state, so cannot vouch for how thoroughly LE did their jobs in this instance. From what I remember reading on Topix, it didn't seem that the locals held them in high regard.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieGranny For This Useful Post:
  #9  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
Quote:
CUSTER COUNTY, Oklahoma - The Custer County Sheriff's Department is seeking information from the public after the skeletal remains of five people in two separate cars were discovered in Foss Lake Tuesday afternoon.

According to OHP, the cars were discovered during a training session with a new sonar device.

Crews pulled two vehicles from the lake in Custer County. The first was a 1957-model car that had two bodies inside. Sheriff Bruce Peoples told the Elk City Daily News he believes the remains belong to a couple last seen in Canute in the early 1960's. The two were reportedly on their way to Foss Lake and never seen again.

The second car pulled from the lake had three bodies inside, believed to be three teenagers reported missing from the Sayre area in the early 1970's.

The bodies could be that of Jimmy Allen Williams, 16, Leah Gail Johnson, 18, and Thomas Michael Rios, 18. The teens were reported missing November 20, 1970, last seen riding around Sayre in Jimmy's 1969 Chevrolet Camaro.

---
http://www.news9.com/story/23456704/...-custer-county
__________________
We are, I know not how, double in ourselves, so that what we believe we disbelieve, and cannot rid ourselves of what we condemn. (Michel de Montaigne)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 PM
shewolf shewolf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
I posted this on the breaking news but it's possible their remains have turned up in Foss Lake. Not sure how far that is from where they went missing, but here is the news story I came across after seeing remains had been found.
http://www.news9.com/story/23456704/...-custer-county
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:48 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
Lots of pictures plus article here:

Officials: Crews pull cars from Foss Lake, possibly connected to 1970 cold case & '50s/'60s cold case. (kfor.com)
__________________
We are, I know not how, double in ourselves, so that what we believe we disbelieve, and cannot rid ourselves of what we condemn. (Michel de Montaigne)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Trident's Avatar
Trident Trident is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,392
It seems things that were hidden are coming to light.
Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Trident For This Useful Post:
  #13  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 PM
dotr dotr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
This discovery will no doubt bring sadness, but also relief for the families of those involved. Fascinating case imo.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 PM
tk71texas's Avatar
tk71texas tk71texas is offline
wth is wrong with people today
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,137
i was just coming to post this......
__________________


It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tk71texas For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:34 PM
tk71texas's Avatar
tk71texas tk71texas is offline
wth is wrong with people today
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk71texas View Post
i was just coming to post this......
is there a thread for the other missing they found?
__________________


It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tk71texas For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:44 PM
4SAM's Avatar
4SAM 4SAM is offline
Kentucky - Texas - Kansas - Missouri
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 231
What was the make and model of the second car? Very fascinating story, sad though.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4SAM For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:44 PM
inthedark14's Avatar
inthedark14 inthedark14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 879
That is a really big lake (actually it's a reservoir) , I hope that LE are going to search more areas of it. If they were found near the marina it doesn't seem like there many roads into it. I wonder if the surrounding roads are a lot higher than the water level and cars could have maybe rolled down a hill? I'm terrible at telling topography from maps. The attached is from Google Earth.

I'm really glad that the families will have some answers after all this time. We don't often see that here, so that is GREAT NEWS!

ALWAYS MOO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foss Reservoir Marina.jpg (104.2 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to inthedark14 For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:45 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk71texas View Post
is there a thread for the other missing they found?
Don't believe so. Authorities themselves are having a hard time coming up with names, it sounds like.
__________________
We are, I know not how, double in ourselves, so that what we believe we disbelieve, and cannot rid ourselves of what we condemn. (Michel de Montaigne)
Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:40 PM
mikkismom's Avatar
mikkismom mikkismom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
Don't believe so. Authorities themselves are having a hard time coming up with names, it sounds like.
NAMUS only goes back to 1967 for OK.
__________________
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mikkismom For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:40 PM
4SAM's Avatar
4SAM 4SAM is offline
Kentucky - Texas - Kansas - Missouri
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 231
Car in news article looks like a Chevy Camaro
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4SAM For This Useful Post:
  #21  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 PM
killarney rose's Avatar
killarney rose killarney rose is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sam View Post
car in news article looks like a chevy camaro
a 69 .....
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to killarney rose For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM
BlithePlum's Avatar
BlithePlum BlithePlum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 130
I'm a little surprised that they identified one of the bodies so quickly, but it will be interesting to see what comes to light here.
__________________
All posts are my opinion and nothing more.

“...and that visibility which makes us most vulnerable is that which also is the source of our greatest strength.”
― Audre Lorde
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlithePlum For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 PM
4SAM's Avatar
4SAM 4SAM is offline
Kentucky - Texas - Kansas - Missouri
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlithePlum View Post
I'm a little surprised that they identified one of the bodies so quickly, but it will be interesting to see what comes to light here.
Where did you see that? Who was identified?
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4SAM For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 PM
KateB KateB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SAM View Post
Where did you see that? Who was identified?
From wfgodot's link:

UPDATE 4 p.m. – Officials have confirmed the identity of at least one of the victims in the 1969 Camaro found in Foss Lake, according to the Elk City Daily News. The identities are not being released until all family members are notified. Details about the remains in the 1950′s Chevy are not being released.
Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to KateB For This Useful Post:
  #25  
Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Nameless Helper's Avatar
Nameless Helper Nameless Helper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 133
Looks like they have been found. As well as three others from an earlier incident.

http://charleyross.wordpress.com/201...-been-located/
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nameless Helper For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
1970, bodies found, cold case, custer county, foss lake, foss state park, jimmy williams, leah johnson, oklahoma, sayre, thomas rios

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA CA - Healdsburg, WhtFem 961UFCA, 29-39, In Foss Creek behind Simi Winery, Jan'83 LeighAnnR The Unidentified 10 Today 01:16 AM
Resolved FL - Hollywood - Human skull in lake at Oak Lake Park, Jan'12 - *Used for Ritual* CarlK90245 Identified! 38 09-30-2013 07:40 PM
A.C. Foss, 19, & Clarence Cartwright, 26, 1876 PFF Pre-1960's Missing 6 09-06-2012 12:47 PM
Identified! KS- Lake Shawnee - Human Remains Found in Car Pulled From Lake 6-11-11 JDuMo Identified! 62 10-05-2011 02:11 PM
Identified! MD-body found in Lake at Lake Linganore-Frederick County - March 2010 SharetheLight Identified! 3 03-16-2010 11:49 AM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!