FBI's TOP TEN MOST WANTED LIST

Hurricane

Reaction score
When a fugitive on the FBI’s Top Ten Most Wanted List falls off the bottom of the list after time, what happens to his case? I’m sure the case continues to be worked, just without all of the public exposure.

My question really concerns cold cases for former Top Ten Most Wanted fugitives that were never caught. After they fall off the list and as time goes on they seem to just get cold. I didn’t find an answer on the FBI’s website and have not received their reply to this question. I’ve also filed a FOIA request on a 30 year old former Top Ten fugitive.

When a fugitive on the FBI’s Top Ten Most Wanted List falls off the bottom of the list after time, what happens to his case? I’m sure the case continues to be worked, just without all of the public exposure.

My question really concerns cold cases for former Top Ten Most Wanted fugitives that were never caught. After they fall off the list and as time goes on they seem to just get cold. I didn’t find an answer on the FBI’s website and have not received their reply to this question. I’ve also filed a FOIA request on a 30 year old former Top Ten fugitive.

You ask some good questions, although I doubt that you will find an answer forthcoming from the FBI about "The ones who got away". They like to trumpet their successes - or take credit for the successes of other organizations and individuals, but they don't want to advertize their failures.

It would be very interesting to know how many and specifically who have fallen off the list and what cases are long cold, even after the FBI had given them top priority for a period of time.

Some critics of the "Ten Most Wanted" list have claimed that in the past, the FBI would sometimes add a name to the list when they were actually about to make an arrest, just to give the organization publicity. At other times, additions of names seemed to be made by the director (J. Edgar Hoover) personally for reasons all his own.

It would be very interesting to know how many and specifically who have fallen off the list and what cases are long cold, even after the FBI had given them top priority for a period of time.

I was surprised to find that there was not a link off the Top Ten website to those fugitives still missing, perhaps with the latest tips information, age progression photos, etc.

I realize that time is important in catching a fugitive and that public exposure is needed when things are hot. But I couldn't believe that a fugitive sort of drops off into oblivion once he drops from the Top Ten list, as far as exposure to the public is concerned.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenzo2011
Back